Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch Another day. Another Linux sound system. Talk about total confusion. How many different sound systems are we up to now? Like ten? You ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch

    Another day.

    Another Linux sound system.

    Talk about total confusion.

    How many different sound systems are we up to now?
    Like ten?

    You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
    keep churning out one sound system after another.

    And Linux nuts wonder why average Jane considers desktop Linux a joke....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch

    > Another day.
    >
    > Another Linux sound system.
    >
    > Talk about total confusion.
    >
    > How many different sound systems are we up to now?
    > Like ten?

    Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    > You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
    > keep churning out one sound system after another.

    Further ahead than Vista.

    -----------
    Vista OS- Vastly Inferior Software Try Another OS

  3. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    "Canuck57" writes:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:17:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's Cooking in PulseAudio's glitch-free Branch

    >> Another day.
    >>
    >> Another Linux sound system.
    >>
    >> Talk about total confusion.
    >>
    >> How many different sound systems are we up to now?
    >> Like ten?

    > Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    > they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    companies.

    I mean, really, could you be more clueless?

    >> You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
    >> keep churning out one sound system after another.

    > Further ahead than Vista.

    Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.

    Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:

    http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

    And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    need to compile from CVS in many cases.

  4. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Another day.
    >>>
    >>> Another Linux sound system.
    >>>
    >>> Talk about total confusion.
    >>>
    >>> How many different sound systems are we up to now?
    >>> Like ten?

    >> Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    >> they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    > You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    > most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    > SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    > companies.
    >
    > I mean, really, could you be more clueless?
    >

    >>> You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
    >>> keep churning out one sound system after another.

    >> Further ahead than Vista.

    > Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.
    >
    > Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >
    > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >
    > And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    > need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    or listening to music.

  5. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Ignoramus9437 writes:

    > On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    >> "Canuck57" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    >>> they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    >> You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    >> most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    >> SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    >> companies.
    >>
    >> I mean, really, could you be more clueless?

    >>> Further ahead than Vista.

    >> Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.
    >>
    >> Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >>
    >> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >>
    >> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    >> need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    > I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    > Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    > or listening to music.

    Yes, well, good for you.

    Open up a second x screen on your TV. Play a totem movie
    there. Now test your system sounds and try to play youtube in flash or
    a bbc player item in iceweasel. Also try something like gnubiff to alert
    you with audio of a new email and/or listen to amarok or a radio
    stream. Does it all work together?

  6. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus9437 writes:

    >>> You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    >>> most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    >>> SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    >>> companies.
    >>>
    >>> I mean, really, could you be more clueless?

    >>> Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >>>
    >>> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    >>> need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    >> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >> or listening to music.

    > Yes, well, good for you.
    >
    > Open up a second x screen on your TV. Play a totem movie
    > there. Now test your system sounds and try to play youtube in flash or
    > a bbc player item in iceweasel. Also try something like gnubiff to alert
    > you with audio of a new email and/or listen to amarok or a radio
    > stream. Does it all work together?

    I will try tonight, will let you know.

  7. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:32:23 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Another day.
    >>>
    >>> Another Linux sound system.
    >>>
    >>> Talk about total confusion.
    >>>
    >>> How many different sound systems are we up to now?
    >>> Like ten?

    >> Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    >> they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    > You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    > most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    > SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    > companies.
    >
    > I mean, really, could you be more clueless?
    >

    >>> You Linux guys can't even get ALSA working properly, and easily, yet you
    >>> keep churning out one sound system after another.

    >> Further ahead than Vista.

    > Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.
    >
    > Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >
    > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >
    > And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    > need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    Audio under Linux is a complete clusterfsck.
    It has been that way for years and it continues to be that way.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:38:32 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    >> "Canuck57" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:1d90ogevhssac.1unp33rqyvymt$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Linux operates on the survival of the fittest. Unlike Windows products,
    >>> they compete and it isn't a monopoly.

    >> You could not be more wrong. Because there is no commercial need for
    >> most Linux stuff, even the crap stay there. I hate to tell you but most
    >> SW used on Windows is not from MS. It is from competing commercial
    >> companies.
    >>
    >> I mean, really, could you be more clueless?

    >>> Further ahead than Vista.

    >> Are you joking? Linux sound architecture is a joke at the moment.
    >>
    >> Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >>
    >> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >>
    >> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    >> need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    > I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    > Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    > or listening to music.

    Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 2008-04-10, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:38:32 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:
    >>> Here's the Pulseaudio "how to make it work" wiki:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
    >>>
    >>> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    >>> need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    >> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >> or listening to music.

    > Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
    things.

  10. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:29:09 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

    >>> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >>> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >>> or listening to music.

    >> Try running Ardour and see what happens.
    >>

    > OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
    > things.

    Thank you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:29:09 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

    >>> Try running Ardour and see what happens.
    >>>

    >> OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
    >> things.

    > Thank you.

    First questions

    err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
    does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?

    Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

  12. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:36:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> OK, I will try to find time to give it a try, I never used such
    >>> things.

    >> Thank you.

    > First questions
    >
    > err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
    > does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?
    >
    > Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have no idea.
    That is why Linux sound systems are so confused.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:36:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Thank you.

    >> First questions
    >>
    >> err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
    >> does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?
    >>
    >> Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > I have no idea.
    > That is why Linux sound systems are so confused.

    So lets have a look at the design docs!

    ,----
    | http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/design/
    |
    | An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
    |
    | 1. Server: jackit.sourceforge.net
    | 2. URL path: /docs/design/
    | 3. Error notes: File does not exist: /home/groups/j/ja/jackit/htdocs/docs/design/
    | 4. Error type: 404
    | 5. Request method: GET
    | 6. Request query string:
    | 7. Time: 2008-04-10 12:42:00 PDT (1207856520)
    |
    | Reporting this problem: The problem you have encountered is with a project web site hosted by SourceForge.net. This issue should be reported to the SourceForge.net-hosted project (not to SourceForge.net).
    |
    | If this is a severe or recurring/persistent problem, please do one of the following, and provide the error text (numbered 1 through 7, above):
    |
    | 1. Contact the project via their designated support resources.
    | 2. Contact the project administrators of this project via email (see the upper right-hand corner of the Project Summary page for their usernames) at user-name@users.sourceforge.net
    |
    | If you are a member of the project that maintains this web content, please refer to the Site Documentation regarding the project web service for further assistance.
    `----

    Oops!

    OK, lets try a bit easier. Lets look at the introduction!

    http://jackaudio.org/documentation

    Nothing there! Only the FAQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What about configuring it for our "me too" distro?

    "System configuration for success, joy and eternal happiness"

    Oh no!!!!!!!!! Nothing!

    See? Typical half arsed and incomplete.

    What it needs is someone to start ANOTHER sound system!

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  14. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:18:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:36:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Thank you.

    >> First questions
    >>
    >> err, is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!? Where is ESD? Err,
    >> does this work with arts on KDE? Is alsa a friend or foe of pulseaudio?
    >>
    >> Aaarrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > I have no idea.
    > That is why Linux sound systems are so confused.

    If Linux distros are so crappy, why do you and your family use them?

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> And thats the easy bit. There are many distro specific hacks and the
    >>> need to compile from CVS in many cases.

    >> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >> or listening to music.

    > Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
    Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.

  16. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    DanS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >>> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >>> or listening to music.

    >> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    > Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
    > Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.

    according to hardon thats not acceptable.
    caver1

  17. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 10 Apr 2008 21:43:42 GMT, DanS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >>> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >>> or listening to music.

    >> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    > Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
    > Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.

    What sound system are you running with Ardour?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    DanS writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> I did absolutely nothing with my sound setup, in either Hardy or
    >>> Gutsy, it all just worked. My use of sound is mostly watching movies
    >>> or listening to music.

    >> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    > Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just installed
    > Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked too.

    That's nice.

    It didn't work for the fellow who replied to that "how to use apt-get"
    "article" that Marti posted a link to.

    What sound system are you using? What HW?

  19. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    >Hadron
    >is pulseaudio working with or against jack?!?!?

    It works against JACK. JACK is essentially another variant upon the same idea
    as Pulse Audio -- a sound daemon running on top of ALSA.

    They all run on top of ALSA (well, except for really, really old stuff that
    runs on top of OSS. But that stuff really is archaic and obsolete).

    ALSA can do everything that JACK can do, but in a more complicated manner. JACK
    was meant to simplify use of ALSA for audio (not MIDI. ALSA is both an audio
    and MIDI API).

    What you really want is for everyone to drop support for all these daemons and
    instead use ALSA. Then you just use ALSA dmix plugin, and viola, you have what
    you're looking for. Every time you encounter some software that makes sound,
    but doesn't directly use ALSA, write the developers and ask them to directly
    support ALSA. (And give them a link to my web page article about Linux audio
    programming)

  20. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Hadron wrote in

    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    >> Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just
    >> installed Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked
    >> too.

    > That's nice.
    >
    > It didn't work for the fellow who replied to that "how to use apt-get"
    > "article" that Marti posted a link to.
    >
    > What sound system are you using? What HW?

    Honestly, I have no clue as to what SS (and can't check right now),
    whatever was installed when the OS was installed and detected it. It
    worked properly right off the bat, so no reason to dig into it at all.

    I'm sure I'd be able to tell you if I had a major problem and had to
    troubleshoot it, but all went smooth.

    The HW is a CreativeLabs ES1371 chipset, so I'm sure quite common. Well,
    maybe not, it is a PCI card and not on-board.

    I didn't use Ardour much, just to check it out to see if it worked. I
    didn't build a large project or anything, but it accepted tracks, allowed
    editing, mixing, etc. I didn't try recording with it though.

    Ardour seems like a decent OSS application, comparable to some of the
    commercial (not top-end though) Windows audio s/w just like it I have
    used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast