Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview - Ubuntu ; On 11 Apr 2008 11:49:47 GMT, DanS wrote: >>>> Ardour seems like a decent OSS application, comparable to some of >>>> the commercial (not top-end though) Windows audio s/w just like it I >>>> have used. >>> >>> And yet ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 53 of 53

  1. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    >>> And yet you didn't record anything with it?
    >>>
    >>> Uh, ok.

    >> I was trying to be nice, but obviously he didn't get anything working
    >> with Ardour because you need Jack to get it going and he would have
    >> mentioned that.

    > Obviously nothing.
    >
    > No, I didn't know Jack needed to be installed, but you know what, it is. I don't remember installing it
    > maybe it came down with Ardour from aptitude. I saw it in the Audio/Video menu after I installed Ardour
    > and was looking to start that. I started Jack, looked at it, saw what it was for, said to myself...'well the
    > audio works, so I'm not going to f with that'.
    >
    > OK, next time I need to prove that something works on this system, I'll post the install log along with all of
    > it's dependencies and everything else even remotely related to it.
    >
    >> IOW I set him up, but the other guy spilled the beans.

    > You set me up ?! That's funny.
    >
    >> It's just another Linux advocate's "works for me" post, and not a very
    >> good one at all.

    > No, it's not a Linux advocate's post. Just a post. And just the truth.

    You are probably correct in that Jack is a dependency for Ardour.
    IOW Ardour will not run without it.

    However, unless Ubuntu/Debian does something odd, Jack needs to be started
    separately and chances are the defaults will NOT work.
    Also the program typically (along with Ardour) needs to be run as root to
    give the sound server higher priority and reduce latency.

    That is why I asked you to try it because if you really did, you would have
    had a difficult time getting all this to work for the first time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 11 Apr 2008 17:17:20 GMT, DanS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote in
    >
    >> DanS writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote in

    >>> What I am admitting to is that I installed Ardour, and with the
    >>> default install, it appeared to work properly with everything I
    >>> tested, which I described to you, including the HW and SS installed.
    >>> That is what I said, nothing more, nothing less.
    >>>
    >>> I am making nothing up and I do know Ardour is for. I have given you
    >>> no other reason to suspect anything different other than the fact
    >>> that it seems to install and work easily.

    >> But by your own admission you havent actually used it for anything
    >> that it was designed for - namely low latency mixing for separate
    >> audio sources.

    > For a minute there, I thought you were different from GoldFart.
    >
    > But I was wrong.
    >
    >> In other words your "me too" was pointless.

    > What is pointless is talking to you...or GoldFart...or Frank. In typical
    > (anyOS)-tard fashion, you will continue to pick apart anything I say and
    > come up with some _other_ reason as to why I'm wrong, and if I disprove
    > that, you will just come up with some new miniscule detail to dispute.
    >
    > I could do all of this with you physically in the room and watching
    > everything happen and you _still_ wouldn't believe it.
    >
    > I'm doing nothing but wasting my time, so, I'm done with you.

    I doubt you even got it to start....
    See my other post.

    Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me" crap in
    COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Mplayer is an awesome player.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On 2008-04-11, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:33:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus6985 writes:

    >>> Well, I have about 12G of music, but yes, my needs are simple. One
    >>> important thing is that I have multiple users at home, so it would be
    >>> good for sound to work when two users are using the sound
    >>> device. Typical example is a stopped youtube video for one user and
    >>> another user playing a song.
    >>>
    >>> I believe, though I have not verified, that it should work with
    >>> PulseAudio now. I am moving from a Fedora home server to a Ubuntu
    >>> server now. It involves a lot of things, email, nfs, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't xine have playlist support?

    >> I've never quite understood the xine player - ugly, non confirming,
    >> buggy and plain "yuck".
    >>
    >> The xine engine is used as the "sound engine" in Amarok though - the
    >> only one I can select. Pulseaudio as the "output plugin". Don't ask me
    >> how that all fits together. Its a mess and frequently freezes.
    >>
    >> Best player *by far* IMO is mplayer. Here's a test for you regarding
    >> buggy half arsed Linux multimedia and Amarok in particular.
    >>
    >> Here is my one liner shell script to play bbc radio 4:
    >>
    >> mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram
    >>
    >> Works great!
    >>
    >> Now add that to Amarok and try it. It plays only until the first cache
    >> is exhausted. I dont know why and ran out of energy chasing it down and
    >> gave up as using amarok as my main audio system.

    > Mplayer is an awesome player.

    It is the only player I use. The only feature I miss is "save a
    bookmark and resume from bookmark".

  5. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >> I could do all of this with you physically in the room and watching
    >> everything happen and you _still_ wouldn't believe it.
    >>
    >> I'm doing nothing but wasting my time, so, I'm done with you.

    > I doubt you even got it to start....
    > See my other post.
    >
    > Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me"
    > crap in COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.

    Well sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm not in COLA. I'm reading these
    posts in the Ubuntu group. The only reason they are going to COLA is
    because whomever started the thread had it crossposted there...and to
    Vista groups, which I removed because this has nothing to do with Vista.

    I'm NOT a Linux pusher, I still use Windows most of the time since I'd
    just installed Linux a few weeks ago, maybe a month+ ago, and still
    checking out apps and learning Linux. There are things I like and things
    I don't like.

    Believe what you want to believe. It's painfully obvious that you are
    completely anti-Linux, just like some are completely anti-MS, and have
    such strong preconceived beliefs that it doesn't really matter what
    anyone says about any particular Linux item, everyone's a liar, and
    nothing works out-of-the-box.

    What do you need.....unedited 8mm analog film proof ?! Analog so you
    won't claim it was edited.

    (Rhetorical, since I won't be replying to you anymore.)

  6. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:09:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote in

    >>> So you didn't use multi source at all? Look, admit it for you're
    >>> making things up or dont know what Ardour is for.

    >> What I am admitting to is that I installed Ardour, and with the default
    >> install, it appeared to work properly with everything I tested, which I
    >> described to you, including the HW and SS installed. That is what I
    >> said, nothing more, nothing less.
    >>
    >> I am making nothing up and I do know Ardour is for. I have given you no
    >> other reason to suspect anything different other than the fact that it
    >> seems to install and work easily.

    > But by your own admission you havent actually used it for anything that
    > it was designed for - namely low latency mixing for separate audio
    > sources.

    http://ardour.org/
    "Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit
    and mix multi-track audio. You can produce your own CDs, mix video
    soundtracks, or just experiment with new ideas about music and
    sound.Ardour capabilities include: multichannel recording, non-
    destructive editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a
    powerful mixer, unlimited tracks/busses/plugins, timecode
    synchronization, and hardware control from surfaces like the Mackie
    Control Universal."

    It sounds to me like he used Ardour for things it was designed for.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:23:24 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> I was trying to be nice, but obviously he didn't get anything working
    >>> with Ardour because you need Jack to get it going and he would have
    >>> mentioned that.

    >> Obviously nothing.
    >>
    >> No, I didn't know Jack needed to be installed, but you know what, it
    >> is. I don't remember installing it maybe it came down with Ardour from
    >> aptitude. I saw it in the Audio/Video menu after I installed Ardour and
    >> was looking to start that. I started Jack, looked at it, saw what it
    >> was for, said to myself...'well the audio works, so I'm not going to f
    >> with that'.
    >>
    >> OK, next time I need to prove that something works on this system, I'll
    >> post the install log along with all of it's dependencies and everything
    >> else even remotely related to it.
    >>
    >>> IOW I set him up, but the other guy spilled the beans.

    >> You set me up ?! That's funny.
    >>
    >>> It's just another Linux advocate's "works for me" post, and not a very
    >>> good one at all.

    >> No, it's not a Linux advocate's post. Just a post. And just the truth.

    > You are probably correct in that Jack is a dependency for Ardour. IOW
    > Ardour will not run without it.
    >
    > However, unless Ubuntu/Debian does something odd, Jack needs to be
    > started separately and chances are the defaults will NOT work. Also the
    > program typically (along with Ardour) needs to be run as root to give
    > the sound server higher priority and reduce latency.
    >
    > That is why I asked you to try it because if you really did, you would
    > have had a difficult time getting all this to work for the first time.

    Just because you mucked things up doesn't mean he did.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:09:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> DanS writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote in

    >>> What I am admitting to is that I installed Ardour, and with the default
    >>> install, it appeared to work properly with everything I tested, which I
    >>> described to you, including the HW and SS installed. That is what I
    >>> said, nothing more, nothing less.
    >>>
    >>> I am making nothing up and I do know Ardour is for. I have given you no
    >>> other reason to suspect anything different other than the fact that it
    >>> seems to install and work easily.

    >> But by your own admission you havent actually used it for anything that
    >> it was designed for - namely low latency mixing for separate audio
    >> sources.

    > http://ardour.org/
    > "Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit
    > and mix multi-track audio. You can produce your own CDs, mix video
    > soundtracks, or just experiment with new ideas about music and
    > sound.Ardour capabilities include: multichannel recording, non-
    > destructive editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a
    > powerful mixer, unlimited tracks/busses/plugins, timecode
    > synchronization, and hardware control from surfaces like the Mackie
    > Control Universal."
    >
    > It sounds to me like he used Ardour for things it was designed for.
    >

    >> In other words your "me too" was pointless.
    >>
    >> Sorry DanS, I'm sure you meant well, but really.

    You really need to ignore the likes of Hardon. He hates to hear that
    anything Linux just works. If you say it does you are a liar in his eyes.
    caver1

  9. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:53:55 +0000, DanS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >>> I could do all of this with you physically in the room and watching
    >>> everything happen and you _still_ wouldn't believe it.
    >>>
    >>> I'm doing nothing but wasting my time, so, I'm done with you.

    >> I doubt you even got it to start....
    >> See my other post.
    >>
    >> Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me" crap
    >> in COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.

    > Well sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm not in COLA. I'm reading these posts
    > in the Ubuntu group. The only reason they are going to COLA is because
    > whomever started the thread had it crossposted there...and to Vista
    > groups, which I removed because this has nothing to do with Vista.
    >
    > I'm NOT a Linux pusher, I still use Windows most of the time since I'd
    > just installed Linux a few weeks ago, maybe a month+ ago, and still
    > checking out apps and learning Linux. There are things I like and things I
    > don't like.
    >
    > Believe what you want to believe. It's painfully obvious that you are
    > completely anti-Linux, just like some are completely anti-MS, and have
    > such strong preconceived beliefs that it doesn't really matter what anyone
    > says about any particular Linux item, everyone's a liar, and nothing works
    > out-of-the-box.
    >
    > What do you need.....unedited 8mm analog film proof ?! Analog so you won't
    > claim it was edited.
    >
    > (Rhetorical, since I won't be replying to you anymore.)

    FYI Moshe Goldfarb is a troll, "Flatfish", & it was he who probably
    crossposted into alt.os.linux.ubuntu. If anyone tells lies, it's the troll.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit
    Released April 9th 2008.

  10. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:51:25 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Try running Ardour and see what happens.

    >> Well, when I installed Ubuntu, the audio just, worked, and I just
    >> installed Ardour a couple of days ago, and by golly, that just worked
    >> too.

    > according to hardon thats not acceptable. caver1

    According to that Hardon Quack troll, Linux applications aren't acceptable.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit

  11. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    William Poaster wrote in
    newsan.2008.04.11.22.52.19.244630@leafnode.amd64.eu:

    > FYI Moshe Goldfarb is a troll, "Flatfish", & it was he who probably
    > crossposted into alt.os.linux.ubuntu. If anyone tells lies, it's the
    > troll.

    I'm aware of the situation....

    I state my case.....
    Read the troll replies.....
    I re-state my case addressing whatever new accusations are hurled....
    Read troll's new replies....
    I post again answering whatever new minute, bizarre things 'I am wrong about'.
    Read more replies.....
    Get fed up, and wait for a new thread......(of course, I'll be completely wrong in again.)

    I don't have a particular stance when it comes to OS's (I'd like to be able to use Linux more, but am
    somewhat restricted by some of the s/w I need for my job) but I certainly aren't some out of control
    zealot. Just a user.

    It's really amazing how uptight some get when you say something installed and worked easily in Linux.

    I've had the same experience with almost everything I've tried to install.

    Parallels installed fine, but took a very long time installing an XP image into it, and was subsequently
    cancelled before it finished. The same thing happened to a Windows application (OrCAD) being installed
    under Wine, cancelled. I can't recall anything else that gave me a problem. Wait. No. There might have
    been something, but I can't remember.....must have not been that important.

    Even more bizarre though, why the hell do they care so much ?

  12. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora LiveCDs Interview

    William Poaster illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > FYI Moshe Goldfarb is a troll, "Flatfish", & it was he who probably
    > crossposted into alt.os.linux.ubuntu. If anyone tells lies, it's the troll.

    I don't think it particularly matters as a number of the regulars are
    simply filtering out (in my case hardkilling) all advocacy x-refs.

    The signal to noise ratio is vastly improved.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live CDs Interview

    >Moshe Goldfarb
    >Actually I think of Jack as more of a tool to connect various pieces of the
    >audio software and hardware together at very low latency's.
    >For example piping the output of one program into another one.

    ALSA does that for MIDI. It can do it for audio too, but is more complicated to
    setup than JACK because you have to edit an ALSA config file.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3