hpt370/372 RAID on hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on hpt370/372 RAID on hardy - Ubuntu ; This is a question I'd normally research and work out for myself, but I have finals coming up in school, and just don't have the time. So, I'm turning to the community for help. I have a soyo p4s-dragon MB ...

  1. hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    This is a question I'd normally research and work out for myself, but I
    have finals coming up in school, and just don't have the time. So, I'm
    turning to the community for help.

    I have a soyo p4s-dragon MB with an hpt370/372 raid on it. I dual boot
    windows xp and hardy heron (neither from the raid, I use a boot drive).
    I had the raid set up as 1+0 with 4 300gb drive which provided one 600gb
    ntfs partition. Windows sees this fine, but hardy only sees the 4
    individual drives, and has multiple 'buffer i/o errors' on the first drive
    in the set.

    So, far I've tried reconfiguring the array as 2 300gb mirrors, using evms,
    dmraid, and mdadm with no success. The man pages are less than
    enlightening so perhaps I'm just not setting this up right.

    My next step will be to blacklist the default disk drivers in heron and
    compile and insert the open build drivers from highpoint. I'm not looking
    forward to this because the drivers date from 2006 and were originally for
    the 2.4 kernel (though the readme says that it will build for 2.6)

    Anyone here have any ideas on getting my ntfs partition working? (no
    trolls, please)

    GH

  2. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    Gomer Hauler wrote:
    > This is a question I'd normally research and work out for myself, but I
    > have finals coming up in school, and just don't have the time. So, I'm
    > turning to the community for help.
    >
    > I have a soyo p4s-dragon MB with an hpt370/372 raid on it. I dual boot
    > windows xp and hardy heron (neither from the raid, I use a boot drive).
    > I had the raid set up as 1+0 with 4 300gb drive which provided one 600gb
    > ntfs partition. Windows sees this fine, but hardy only sees the 4
    > individual drives, and has multiple 'buffer i/o errors' on the first drive
    > in the set.

    Sounds like it's a "fake raid" controller. Use lspci to get the device
    ID for the controller and google it. I bet you'll find it requires a
    special driver that pretends it's a real RAID and is only available for
    Windows.

    Good luck,

    James

  3. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    On 2008-04-10, Gomer Hauler hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > This is a question I'd normally research and work out for myself, but I
    > have finals coming up in school, and just don't have the time. So, I'm
    > turning to the community for help.
    >
    > I have a soyo p4s-dragon MB with an hpt370/372 raid on it. I dual boot
    > windows xp and hardy heron (neither from the raid, I use a boot drive).
    > I had the raid set up as 1+0 with 4 300gb drive which provided one 600gb
    > ntfs partition. Windows sees this fine, but hardy only sees the 4
    > individual drives, and has multiple 'buffer i/o errors' on the first drive
    > in the set.
    >
    > So, far I've tried reconfiguring the array as 2 300gb mirrors, using evms,
    > dmraid, and mdadm with no success. The man pages are less than
    > enlightening so perhaps I'm just not setting this up right.
    >
    > My next step will be to blacklist the default disk drivers in heron and
    > compile and insert the open build drivers from highpoint. I'm not looking
    > forward to this because the drivers date from 2006 and were originally for
    > the 2.4 kernel (though the readme says that it will build for 2.6)

    I've used such a similar card and I run into problems here
    with Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 compiling the module for it into the
    kernel, i.e. could only be created as module, and I had a
    rare occasion of "kernel panic"... So watch out for that.

    In the past I was able to boot from a disk installed on a raid-card.

    > Anyone here have any ideas on getting my ntfs partition working? (no
    > trolls, please)
    >
    > GH

    Dragomir Kollaric

  4. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote in

    > I've used such a similar card and I run into problems here
    > with Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 compiling the module for it into the
    > kernel, i.e. could only be created as module, and I had a
    > rare occasion of "kernel panic"... So watch out for that.
    >
    > In the past I was able to boot from a disk installed on a raid-card.
    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Yeah, I'm hip. Since I posted my original message I got the drivers
    from highpoint and tried to compile them. Complete failure.
    Pages of compile errors and no *.ko file.

    From what I'm seeing so far, Ubuntu defaults to using the hpt366
    driver with this chipset and it just doesn't talk to it right.
    The hpt370/372 chip wound up on a lot of mobos and cards so perhaps
    this is a situation where Canonical needs to bring the drivers in-house
    and re-compile them. If they're proprietary perhaps add them to the
    restricted drivers list.

    So, failing anyone having a fix using dmraid, etc does anyone know how to
    get this damn driver to compile?

    GH

  5. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    Centurion wrote in

    > Sounds like it's a "fake raid" controller. Use lspci to get the
    > device ID for the controller and google it. I bet you'll find it
    > requires a special driver that pretends it's a real RAID and is only
    > available for Windows.

    Oh, it's a fakeraid alright, but it's SUPPOSED to have drivers
    for linux...except they won't compile. Somehow I don't see
    going back to a way previous version of the kernel as being
    a valid option here.

    GH

  6. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    On 2008-04-10, Gomer Hauler hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote in
    >
    >> I've used such a similar card and I run into problems here
    >> with Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 compiling the module for it into the
    >> kernel, i.e. could only be created as module, and I had a
    >> rare occasion of "kernel panic"... So watch out for that.
    >>
    >> In the past I was able to boot from a disk installed on a raid-card.
    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > Yeah, I'm hip. Since I posted my original message I got the drivers
    > from highpoint and tried to compile them. Complete failure.
    > Pages of compile errors and no *.ko file.
    >
    > From what I'm seeing so far, Ubuntu defaults to using the hpt366
    > driver with this chipset and it just doesn't talk to it right.
    > The hpt370/372 chip wound up on a lot of mobos and cards so perhaps
    > this is a situation where Canonical needs to bring the drivers in-house
    > and re-compile them. If they're proprietary perhaps add them to the
    > restricted drivers list.

    I feel your pain :-)

    Prior to switching to Ubuntu I've used Debian, (trough a
    user-mistake I up-graded the wrong version and then I had two
    more or less broken Systems). But with Debian "Sid" I think
    it was and its predecessors I had no problem. The chip
    was/is the hpt370.

    I'd say if you have room in the box, go with a PCI-card and
    the correct driver for it.

    The other option, you could compile the driver on a different
    Linux, and then copy all (Kernel, modules. etc. etc.) to
    Ubuntu.

    > So, failing anyone having a fix using dmraid, etc does anyone know how to
    > get this damn driver to compile?
    >
    > GH

    Dragomir Kollaric

  7. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote in

    > I feel your pain :-)
    >
    > I'd say if you have room in the box, go with a PCI-card and
    > the correct driver for it.

    Not really an option with this machine, it's already an airflow problem.

    > The other option, you could compile the driver on a different
    > Linux, and then copy all (Kernel, modules. etc. etc.) to
    > Ubuntu.

    Now THERE is an idea worthy of trying, especially as I have test-bed
    machine with 6 or 7 distros I'm playiing with. Would a module compiled on
    a different kernel run with my current one, though? Or is it a one-way
    ticket to a kernel panic?

    GH

  8. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    On 2008-04-11, Gomer Hauler hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote in
    >
    >> I feel your pain :-)
    >>
    >> I'd say if you have room in the box, go with a PCI-card and
    >> the correct driver for it.

    > Not really an option with this machine, it's already an airflow problem.
    >

    >> The other option, you could compile the driver on a different
    >> Linux, and then copy all (Kernel, modules. etc. etc.) to
    >> Ubuntu.

    > Now THERE is an idea worthy of trying, especially as I have test-bed
    > machine with 6 or 7 distros I'm playiing with. Would a module compiled on
    > a different kernel run with my current one, though? Or is it a one-way
    > ticket to a kernel panic?

    You can boot the box with the faulty hpt370?

    Actually you would need to copy the kernel you generate as
    well, not just the module. Besides you need to HAVE the
    driver IN the kernel, in this case it would be better.

    It doesn't really take that much more work. Just make sure
    that you choose the right CPU type. Then copy the whole tree
    /lib/modules/kernel-version to Ubuntu, copy the kernel, and
    then adjust /boot/grub/menu.lst.

    I've compiled a kernel on a Athlon, for a slower CPU, and
    different drivers with no problem. You probably have to burn
    a CD-ROM or use a USB-Stick to copy the things, or if you
    have a network, use that for the copy-process.

    We will get that sucker going, won't we?

    Good luck, and *HAVE* fun.

    BTW, I had to shell out 100 Euros for a new Power-supply, as
    the old one isn't up to the task of running 6 HDD, 1 CD-ROM
    and 1 DVD in one custom-build rack. Now I found out that
    the main-board is broken too, and it's on its way to
    the manufacturer... My liquid-cooled System still isn't
    running..

    Other people have other problems to deal with :-)

    > GH

    Dragomir Kollaric

  9. Re: hpt370/372 RAID on hardy

    Gomer Hauler wrote:
    > Centurion wrote in
    >
    >> Sounds like it's a "fake raid" controller. Use lspci to get the
    >> device ID for the controller and google it. I bet you'll find it
    >> requires a special driver that pretends it's a real RAID and is only
    >> available for Windows.

    > Oh, it's a fakeraid alright, but it's SUPPOSED to have drivers
    > for linux...except they won't compile. Somehow I don't see
    > going back to a way previous version of the kernel as being
    > a valid option here.

    Cool - so what's the error you're getting when trying to compile the
    driver? Maybe you're just missing some weird esoteric header or
    something? What kernel versions do they support?

    Cheers

    James

+ Reply to Thread