Ubuntu the way I see it - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu the way I see it - Ubuntu ; The news posting on linux are always interesting. I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years. I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC. I found it easy to use, easy to install, Getting the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Ubuntu the way I see it

    The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    once in place,
    IT JUST WORKS...

  2. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    >"S.rathbern"
    >I found [Ubuntu] easy to use, easy to install,
    >Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >once in place,
    >IT JUST WORKS...

    So do other distros. They can be every bit as easy to use, and easy to install.
    And a number of them even install the codecs for you.

  3. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    S.rathbern wrote:
    > The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    > I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    > I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    > I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    > Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    > once in place,
    > IT JUST WORKS...

    I noticed that too :-)

    Alias

  4. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "S.rathbern" wrote in message
    > The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    > I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    > I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    > I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    > Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    > once in place,
    > IT JUST WORKS...

    I'm new to Ubuntu, and like it but have had some problems
    and need some help, if you would be kind enough to help.

    1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.
    After burning three copies, one with Nero, one with Magic ISO,
    and one with Ubuntu they still have problems, so I got it to
    install from Windows, which works but I can't just have it boot
    to the installed drive, I need to boot to Windows drive and choose
    to boot the Ubuntu drive. Do you understand what I'm saying?

    2.. Every time I boot Ubuntu it comes up with a menu to choose
    to migrate settings from Windows, but no matter what I choose
    the Next button won't let me push it, so I have to kill that menu,
    and it continues to boot.

    3.. After installing Avast I can't find it.

    4.. Any Folder I make on the desktop and anything I install or put
    in those folders is gone after I re-boot. Skype works but it's gone
    after reboot. The Background I selected is gone, back to original
    after re-boot.

    5.. What would be a good firewall to use with this.

    6.. This is an 8 Gig drive, it uses over 7 Gigs for the install
    and leaves only 750 Megs of free space for files and what
    not, which isn't much.

    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Fred

  5. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 19:48:15 -0500, "fred fleagle" wrote:

    >I'm new to Ubuntu, and like it but have had some problems
    >and need some help, if you would be kind enough to help.
    >
    >1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    >wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.
    >After burning three copies, one with Nero, one with Magic ISO,
    >and one with Ubuntu they still have problems, so I got it to
    >install from Windows, which works but I can't just have it boot
    >to the installed drive, I need to boot to Windows drive and choose
    >to boot the Ubuntu drive. Do you understand what I'm saying?

    It is possible that your downloaded .iso file does have a problem.
    Did you do an md5sum on your .iso? If you're not sure what that is
    follow the HowToMD5SUM link on the download page. Once you have a
    burned CD you should boot from it. You may have to change the drive
    boot order in the BIOS so that your CD drive comes before your Windows
    drive in the boot order. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you
    installed from Windows, but it sounds wrong. Before you go any
    farther watch the video at -

    http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Instal...ows_Dual-Boot

    This video is fairly old and uses an old version of Ubuntu, but the
    process is still the same.

    >2.. Every time I boot Ubuntu it comes up with a menu to choose
    >to migrate settings from Windows, but no matter what I choose
    >the Next button won't let me push it, so I have to kill that menu,
    >and it continues to boot.

    That screen should have only been visible during the install so it
    seems that maybe the install didn't finish or you have somehow managed
    to install Ubuntu as a program under Windows??? I wouldn't have
    thought that possible, but... Hopefully, if this is the case, you can
    uninstall it.

    >3.. After installing Avast I can't find it.
    >
    >4.. Any Folder I make on the desktop and anything I install or put
    >in those folders is gone after I re-boot. Skype works but it's gone
    >after reboot. The Background I selected is gone, back to original
    >after re-boot.
    >
    >5.. What would be a good firewall to use with this.
    >
    >6.. This is an 8 Gig drive, it uses over 7 Gigs for the install
    >and leaves only 750 Megs of free space for files and what
    >not, which isn't much.

    At the price of drives nowadays I would recommend you pick up
    something bigger, though you should be able to install on that drive
    if you control the partitioning manually.

    There is lots of documentation at -

    https://help.ubuntu.com/

    >Any help would be appreciated
    >Thanks
    >Fred
    >

    >** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  6. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    S.rathbern: Are you sure you removed out the disk from the PC? Seems
    you installed it once, and after that, when starting computer, computer
    detects the CD, and boot from it. So you see that menu, so you running
    from the live System wich is on CD, and then, thats why everty time you
    reset your computer everything you canged has gone. Seriously seems
    that, did you check it? Most suerely yes, but I want to ask it ;-)

    fred fleagle wrote:
    > "S.rathbern" wrote in message
    >> The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >> I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >> I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >> once in place,
    >> IT JUST WORKS...
    >>

    > I'm new to Ubuntu, and like it but have had some problems
    > and need some help, if you would be kind enough to help.
    >
    > 1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    > wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.
    > After burning three copies, one with Nero, one with Magic ISO,
    > and one with Ubuntu they still have problems, so I got it to
    > install from Windows, which works but I can't just have it boot
    > to the installed drive, I need to boot to Windows drive and choose
    > to boot the Ubuntu drive. Do you understand what I'm saying?
    >
    > 2.. Every time I boot Ubuntu it comes up with a menu to choose
    > to migrate settings from Windows, but no matter what I choose
    > the Next button won't let me push it, so I have to kill that menu,
    > and it continues to boot.
    >
    > 3.. After installing Avast I can't find it.
    >
    > 4.. Any Folder I make on the desktop and anything I install or put
    > in those folders is gone after I re-boot. Skype works but it's gone
    > after reboot. The Background I selected is gone, back to original
    > after re-boot.
    >
    > 5.. What would be a good firewall to use with this.
    >
    > 6.. This is an 8 Gig drive, it uses over 7 Gigs for the install
    > and leaves only 750 Megs of free space for files and what
    > not, which isn't much.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    > Thanks
    > Fred

  7. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    fred fleagle wrote:

    > 6.. This is an 8 Gig drive, it uses over 7 Gigs for the install
    > and leaves only 750 Megs of free space for files and what
    > not, which isn't much.

    I think that this is the source of your problem. It could be that the
    OS won't fit on the drive but no warning is being given.

    Try again on a larger drive.

  8. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "S.rathbern" wrote in message
    : The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    : I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    : I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    : I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    : Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    : once in place,
    : IT JUST WORKS...

    The ONLY problem I had / still have is VLC randomly picking a soundcard (I
    have two), despite everything being set up correctly.
    It's not life or death.

  9. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On 2008-04-10, fred fleagle wrote:
    > "S.rathbern" wrote in message
    >> The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >> I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >> I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >> once in place,
    >> IT JUST WORKS...
    >>

    > I'm new to Ubuntu, and like it but have had some problems
    > and need some help, if you would be kind enough to help.
    >
    > 1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    > wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.

    What version of ubuntu was it? Did you check the CD for defects? It is
    an option avaiable from the startup menu during install.

    > After burning three copies, one with Nero, one with Magic ISO,
    > and one with Ubuntu they still have problems, so I got it to
    > install from Windows, which works but I can't just have it boot
    > to the installed drive, I need to boot to Windows drive and choose
    > to boot the Ubuntu drive. Do you understand what I'm saying?
    >
    > 2.. Every time I boot Ubuntu it comes up with a menu to choose
    > to migrate settings from Windows, but no matter what I choose
    > the Next button won't let me push it, so I have to kill that menu,
    > and it continues to boot.
    >
    > 3.. After installing Avast I can't find it.
    >
    > 4.. Any Folder I make on the desktop and anything I install or put
    > in those folders is gone after I re-boot. Skype works but it's gone
    > after reboot. The Background I selected is gone, back to original
    > after re-boot.
    >
    > 5.. What would be a good firewall to use with this.
    >
    > 6.. This is an 8 Gig drive, it uses over 7 Gigs for the install
    > and leaves only 750 Megs of free space for files and what
    > not, which isn't much.

    If it was up to me, I would buy a new disk and install ubuntu on a
    fully separate disk. Sounds like you may not have enough space.

  10. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On 2008-04-10, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > "S.rathbern" wrote in message
    >: The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >: I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >: I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >: I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >: Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >: once in place,
    >: IT JUST WORKS...
    >
    > The ONLY problem I had / still have is VLC randomly picking a soundcard (I
    > have two), despite everything being set up correctly.
    > It's not life or death.

    Does mplayer do the same thing for you? If not, assuming you use
    Hardy, it is probably a beta issue related to PulseAudio transition.

  11. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    :
    : Does mplayer do the same thing for you? If not, assuming you use
    : Hardy, it is probably a beta issue related to PulseAudio transition.
    :

    It used to, but I can't really remember now to be honest.

    I'm using Gutsy, I won't update a production machine to Beta :-P

  12. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On 2008-04-10, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >:
    >: Does mplayer do the same thing for you? If not, assuming you use
    >: Hardy, it is probably a beta issue related to PulseAudio transition.
    >:
    >
    > It used to, but I can't really remember now to be honest.
    >
    > I'm using Gutsy, I won't update a production machine to Beta :-P

    I recall having a computer with 2 sound cards, I think that there is a
    "manage sound" item in the menu where I could pick one. I think that I
    had a similar issue with Gutsy. If you are stuck I can try to dig a
    little, I may have even asked some questions in comp.os.linux.misc
    about it.

  13. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > S.rathbern wrote:
    >> The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >> I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >> I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >> once in place,
    >> IT JUST WORKS...

    > I noticed that too :-)
    >
    > Alias

    And what exactly does it do?

  14. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > S.rathbern wrote:
    >> The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >> I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >> I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >> once in place,
    >> IT JUST WORKS...

    > I noticed that too :-)
    >
    > Alias

    Nothing

  15. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Jeff Glatt" wrote in message
    > >"S.rathbern"
    >>I found [Ubuntu] easy to use, easy to install,
    >>Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >>once in place,
    >>IT JUST WORKS...

    > So do other distros. They can be every bit as easy to use, and easy to
    > install.
    > And a number of them even install the codecs for you.

    Shhhh. Don't dis ubuntunot or you'll get called a wintard.

  16. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    ysdywmf wrote:
    > "Alias" wrote in message
    >> S.rathbern wrote:
    >>> The news posting on linux are always interesting.
    >>> I have been using Ubuntu for a couple years.
    >>> I am not an expert, I just want to use my PC.
    >>> I found it easy to use, easy to install,
    >>> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >>> once in place,
    >>> IT JUST WORKS...

    >> I noticed that too :-)
    >>
    >> Alias

    > And what exactly does it do?

    Everything I want it to do.

    Alias

  17. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:48:21 +0000, ysdywmf wrote:

    > "Alias" wrote in message
    >> S.rathbern wrote:
    >>> The news posting on linux are always interesting. I have been using
    >>> Ubuntu for a couple years. I am not an expert, I just want to use my
    >>> PC. I found it easy to use, easy to install, Getting the codecs and
    >>> Java was a bit confusing, but once in place,
    >>> IT JUST WORKS...

    >> I noticed that too :-)
    >>
    >> Alias

    > And what exactly does it do?

    Pretty much whatever you could think of. Digital signal processing of
    coherant radar signals, web surfing and just about everything in between.

  18. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    ysdywmf wrote:
    > "Jeff Glatt" wrote in message
    >>> "S.rathbern"
    >>> I found [Ubuntu] easy to use, easy to install,
    >>> Getting the codecs and Java was a bit confusing, but
    >>> once in place,
    >>> IT JUST WORKS...

    >> So do other distros. They can be every bit as easy to use, and easy to
    >> install.
    >> And a number of them even install the codecs for you.

    > Shhhh. Don't dis ubuntunot or you'll get called a wintard.

    Actually you get called a wintard because you are a wintard.

  19. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:27:10 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > The ONLY problem I had / still have is VLC randomly picking a soundcard
    > (I have two), despite everything being set up correctly. It's not life
    > or death.

    A problem arises when there are multiple devices.
    On modern GNU/Linux systems, udev takes care of discovering hardware and
    Alsa modules in an undefined order. After each reboot or plugging/
    unplugging a device, there is no guarantee that a device is renamed using
    the same hw:x,y numbers. For example, if you have two USB devices on your
    systems, for example an Audeon USB and an Edirol UA-25, after each
    reboot, a card can be "hw:0,0" and the other "hw:1,0", each time
    randomly.

    from alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards

    If you read the whole page it gives a solution.

    stonerfish

  20. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    : I recall having a computer with 2 sound cards, I think that there is a
    : "manage sound" item in the menu where I could pick one. I think that I
    : had a similar issue with Gutsy. If you are stuck I can try to dig a
    : little, I may have even asked some questions in comp.os.linux.misc
    : about it.
    :

    I have set the relevant sound card as default through the sound management
    app thing.

    Like I said, not life or death. If it starts to annoy me, I'll start
    worrying about it then. Hardy might have it resolved anyway! Not long now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast