Ubuntu the way I see it - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu the way I see it - Ubuntu ; : : from alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards : : If you read the whole page it gives a solution. : Ah right, nice one, thanks. :-) I'll try that later....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    :
    : from alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
    :
    : If you read the whole page it gives a solution.
    :

    Ah right, nice one, thanks. :-) I'll try that later.

  2. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Ivan Alameda" wrote in message
    > S.rathbern: Are you sure you removed out the disk from the PC? Seems you
    > installed it once, and after that, when starting computer, computer
    > detects the CD, and boot from it. So you see that menu, so you running
    > from the live System wich is on CD, and then, thats why everty time you
    > reset your computer everything you canged has gone. Seriously seems that,
    > did you check it? Most suerely yes, but I want to ask it ;-)

    At the boot menu where I choose to boot Windows or Umbutu the
    CD is out of the drive, Umbutu starts from other hard drive. No
    matter what I install or settings I choose they are gone on re-boot.

    Thanks
    Fred Fleagle

  3. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Ignoramus9437" wrote in message
    news:k4SdnYjONLt7r2PanZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-10, fred fleagle wrote:

    >> 1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    >> wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.

    > What version of ubuntu was it? Did you check the CD for defects? It is
    > an option avaiable from the startup menu during install.

    8.04-b

  4. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:32:38 -0500, "fred fleagle"
    wrote:

    >"Ignoramus9437" wrote in message
    >news:k4SdnYjONLt7r2PanZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On 2008-04-10, fred fleagle wrote:

    >>> 1.. First problem, tried installing after booting from CD, that
    >>> wouldn't work. Keeps saying there is a problem with the CD.

    >> What version of ubuntu was it? Did you check the CD for defects? It is
    >> an option avaiable from the startup menu during install.
    >>

    >8.04-b

    8.04-b is a beta version! The final 8.04 will not be available for
    another 2 weeks or so. If you are not *very* well versed in Linux I
    would recommend that you either install 7.10 or wait until the final
    release of 8.04 is available. A lot of people won't install a new
    release until it has been out for 2 weeks or a month since it can take
    that long for the worst of the initial bugs to be fixed. In 700 MB of
    compiled code there are bound to be some.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  5. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Roy Strachan" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:32:38 -0500, "fred fleagle"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Ignoramus9437" wrote in message
    >>news:k4SdnYjONLt7r2PanZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> What version of ubuntu was it? Did you check the CD for defects? It is
    >>> an option avaiable from the startup menu during install.
    >>>

    >>8.04-b
    >>

    > 8.04-b is a beta version! The final 8.04 will not be available for
    > another 2 weeks or so. If you are not *very* well versed in Linux I
    > would recommend that you either install 7.10 or wait until the final
    > release of 8.04 is available. A lot of people won't install a new
    > release until it has been out for 2 weeks or a month since it can take
    > that long for the worst of the initial bugs to be fixed. In 700 MB of
    > compiled code there are bound to be some.
    >
    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Thanks Roy, I'll try 7.10 and see how that works.

    fred fleagle

  6. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    On 2008-04-12, fred fleagle hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > "Ivan Alameda" wrote in message
    >> S.rathbern: Are you sure you removed out the disk from the PC? Seems you
    >> installed it once, and after that, when starting computer, computer
    >> detects the CD, and boot from it. So you see that menu, so you running
    >> from the live System wich is on CD, and then, thats why everty time you
    >> reset your computer everything you canged has gone. Seriously seems that,
    >> did you check it? Most suerely yes, but I want to ask it ;-)
    >>

    > At the boot menu where I choose to boot Windows or Umbutu the
    > CD is out of the drive, Umbutu starts from other hard drive. No
    > matter what I install or settings I choose they are gone on re-boot.

    Well did you try to install in on a "bigger" drive as some
    have suggested? A certain amount of disc-space is reserved
    for the "superuser" "root" anyway. I've run into something
    like this only when the space is filled up, and you said
    IIRC that your drive is full, leaving about 700 MB. It could
    very well be that this is allocated only to root.

    If you were more familiar with how GNU/Linux works, I'd
    recommend you to use two smaller drives, and split up the
    installation.

    If you can't install it on a bigger HDD, then maybe you
    should spend some time in "synapic" removing stuff you
    *really* DO NOT need.

    As to programs installed, their "binaries" i.e. executable
    files are most likely in /usr/bin /usr/local/bin or
    /home/user/bin, so if you installed SW and can't find a
    menu-entry look there, also in a terminal you can (let say
    I'd start firefox) type the letters "fi" (without quotes)
    then it will show you *all* programs installed in starting
    with "fi".

    > Thanks
    > Fred Fleagle

    Dragomir Kollaric

  7. Re: Ubuntu the way I see it

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-12, fred fleagle hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ivan Alameda" wrote in message
    >>> S.rathbern: Are you sure you removed out the disk from the PC? Seems
    >>> you
    >>> installed it once, and after that, when starting computer, computer
    >>> detects the CD, and boot from it. So you see that menu, so you running
    >>> from the live System wich is on CD, and then, thats why everty time you
    >>> reset your computer everything you canged has gone. Seriously seems
    >>> that,
    >>> did you check it? Most suerely yes, but I want to ask it ;-)
    >>>

    >> At the boot menu where I choose to boot Windows or Umbutu the
    >> CD is out of the drive, Umbutu starts from other hard drive. No
    >> matter what I install or settings I choose they are gone on re-boot.

    > Well did you try to install in on a "bigger" drive as some
    > have suggested? A certain amount of disc-space is reserved
    > for the "superuser" "root" anyway. I've run into something
    > like this only when the space is filled up, and you said
    > IIRC that your drive is full, leaving about 700 MB. It could
    > very well be that this is allocated only to root.
    >
    > If you were more familiar with how GNU/Linux works, I'd
    > recommend you to use two smaller drives, and split up the
    > installation.
    >
    > If you can't install it on a bigger HDD, then maybe you
    > should spend some time in "synapic" removing stuff you
    > *really* DO NOT need.
    >
    > As to programs installed, their "binaries" i.e. executable
    > files are most likely in /usr/bin /usr/local/bin or
    > /home/user/bin, so if you installed SW and can't find a
    > menu-entry look there, also in a terminal you can (let say
    > I'd start firefox) type the letters "fi" (without quotes)
    > then it will show you *all* programs installed in starting
    > with "fi".
    >

    >> Thanks
    >> Fred Fleagle
    >>

    > Dragomir Kollaric
    > --
    > This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    > freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)

    I'm going to put this project aside until I've got more
    time to spend on it.

    Thanks for the help
    Fred Fleagle

+ Reply to Thread