Pan newsreader - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Pan newsreader - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:35:23 -0500, David P wrote: > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:51:45 -0400, Meat Plow wrote: > >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:04:08 -0500, David P wrote: >> >>> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:35:23 -0500, David P wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:51:45 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Thanks to both you & Meat Plow I'm now back with Pan (still on the earlier
    >>> version though as download link was invalid on the Pan pages; never mind!)

    >> I'd be happy to post the deb bin for 0.14.2.91 if you can't get to it.

    > Thanks - I'll live with the one in the repository. I had no problems with
    > it until my ISP changed news server and it didn't seem to like that.

    Well I don't see how Pan could not "like" a news server. What part didn't
    it like?

  2. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:27:44 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:35:23 -0500, David P wrote:

    >>> I'd be happy to post the deb bin for 0.14.2.91 if you can't get to it.

    >> Thanks - I'll live with the one in the repository. I had no problems
    >> with it until my ISP changed news server and it didn't seem to like
    >> that.

    > Well I don't see how Pan could not "like" a news server. What part
    > didn't it like?

    When he entered the new server info, his profile file probably got
    corrupted and pan would not connect after that. Uninstalling pan from
    synaptic package manager doesn't delete the profile or config file, just
    the program. After he deleted the file that was left in the home
    directory (profile and/or config file), and reinstalled and configured
    it, then it worked correctly. That's what I got from reading the posts in
    this thread. I didn't think it was confusing.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  3. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:59:43 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:27:44 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Thanks - I'll live with the one in the repository. I had no problems
    >>> with it until my ISP changed news server and it didn't seem to like
    >>> that.

    >> Well I don't see how Pan could not "like" a news server. What part
    >> didn't it like?

    > When he entered the new server info, his profile file probably got
    > corrupted and pan would not connect after that. Uninstalling pan from
    > synaptic package manager doesn't delete the profile or config file, just
    > the program. After he deleted the file that was left in the home
    > directory (profile and/or config file), and reinstalled and configured
    > it, then it worked correctly. That's what I got from reading the posts in
    > this thread. I didn't think it was confusing.

    That sounds about it. I assumed that an uninstall would delete profile &
    config files. Clearly it didn't hence my initial 'what am I missing'
    request for assistance. New installations of later versions of Pan
    presumably picked up the earlier files that were still around hence my
    lack of success in trying that approach.

  4. Re: Pan newsreader

    David P illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > That sounds about it. I assumed that an uninstall would delete profile &
    > config files. Clearly it didn't hence my initial 'what am I missing'
    > request for assistance. New installations of later versions of Pan
    > presumably picked up the earlier files that were still around hence my
    > lack of success in trying that approach.

    In your home folder is a folder called

    ..pan
    or
    ..pan2

    If you want to "start from scratch, you need to delete either of them,
    depending on which version of pan you use.

    You can view the folders by opening your open folder in nautilus and
    showing the hideen files in the "view menu"

    So. To recap
    Places -> Home
    View in the menu. Place a tick next to "show hidden files" (or "Ctrl-H")

    Then remove the whole folder if you so desire.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:17:58 -0500, David P wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:59:43 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    >>> Well I don't see how Pan could not "like" a news server. What part
    >>> didn't it like?

    >> When he entered the new server info, his profile file probably got
    >> corrupted and pan would not connect after that. Uninstalling pan from
    >> synaptic package manager doesn't delete the profile or config file, just
    >> the program. After he deleted the file that was left in the home
    >> directory (profile and/or config file), and reinstalled and configured
    >> it, then it worked correctly. That's what I got from reading the posts in
    >> this thread. I didn't think it was confusing.
    >>

    > That sounds about it. I assumed that an uninstall would delete profile &
    > config files. Clearly it didn't hence my initial 'what am I missing'
    > request for assistance. New installations of later versions of Pan
    > presumably picked up the earlier files that were still around hence my
    > lack of success in trying that approach.

    Sorry I assumed that Pan users knew where their config data resided and
    that it would remain after uninstalling it. I certainly learned a lot
    when I upgraded and got stuck with a build I didn't like and had to
    restore the .pan folder from 0.14.2.91. Glad you got it sorted out anyways.

  6. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:28:18 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > David P illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> That sounds about it. I assumed that an uninstall would delete profile &
    >> config files. Clearly it didn't hence my initial 'what am I missing'
    >> request for assistance. New installations of later versions of Pan
    >> presumably picked up the earlier files that were still around hence my
    >> lack of success in trying that approach.

    > In your home folder is a folder called
    >
    > .pan
    > or
    > .pan2

    <...>
    > Then remove the whole folder if you so desire.

    Saved for future reference - ta

  7. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:56:00 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:17:58 -0500, David P wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:59:43 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >>

    >>> corrupted and pan would not connect after that. Uninstalling pan from
    >>> synaptic package manager doesn't delete the profile or config file, just
    >>> the program.

    >> That sounds about it.

    > Sorry

    No problem. I'm here to learn and may ask some apparently daft questinos -
    but hopefully only once after I've been taught an answer.

  8. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:25:29 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:38:17 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow schreef:

    >>> I run it in Kubu. Any of the newer releases are betas and stripped in
    >>> one way or the other and often buggy as bat****.
    >>>

    >> I'm running 0.132 and very happy, it never crashed on me. Contrary to
    >> the 'stable' version it can handle very large groups.

    > Glad you're happy with a build missing features. 0.14.2.91 handles any
    > group I've encountered. One of note which had headers in the 6 digit
    > range.

    I was digging through the posts looking for the 'right' build of Pan.
    Hardy still has the same build as Gutsy--0.132--not the latest build. I
    haven't had any major gripes after dropping windows and thus Agent (which
    I liked and is very good). Is 0.132 the best Pan to use so far?

    Cheers

  9. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:17:01 +0000, Coffeeman wrote:

    >> Glad you're happy with a build missing features. 0.14.2.91 handles any
    >> group I've encountered. One of note which had headers in the 6 digit
    >> range.

    > I was digging through the posts looking for the 'right' build of Pan.
    > Hardy still has the same build as Gutsy--0.132--not the latest build. I
    > haven't had any major gripes after dropping windows and thus Agent (which
    > I liked and is very good). Is 0.132 the best Pan to use so far?

    Did you not bother to read this thread before asking? All the new (beta)
    versions (like 0.132) suck badly. Use the last stable version, which is
    0.14.2.91.

  10. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:17:01 +0000, Coffeeman wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:25:29 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I'm running 0.132 and very happy, it never crashed on me. Contrary to
    >>> the 'stable' version it can handle very large groups.

    >> Glad you're happy with a build missing features. 0.14.2.91 handles any
    >> group I've encountered. One of note which had headers in the 6 digit
    >> range.

    > I was digging through the posts looking for the 'right' build of Pan.
    > Hardy still has the same build as Gutsy--0.132--not the latest build. I
    > haven't had any major gripes after dropping windows and thus Agent
    > (which I liked and is very good). Is 0.132 the best Pan to use so far?
    >
    > Cheers

    You must have missed all of the previous talk over several months....

    As well as missing the good advise in the paragraphs above, which you
    even quoted.

    Pan version 0.14.2.91 seems to be the best.

    http://pan.rebelbase.com

    http://pan.rebelbase.com/download

    http://packages.debian.org/sarge/i386/pan/download

    In the case of Pan, the beta releases are a work in progress, and are
    missing a lot of features that are included in the stable version.

    --
    John

  11. Re: Pan newsreader

    On 2008-04-26, Coffeeman wrote:

    > I was digging through the posts looking for the 'right' build of Pan.
    > Hardy still has the same build as Gutsy--0.132--not the latest build. I
    > haven't had any major gripes after dropping windows and thus Agent (which
    > I liked and is very good). Is 0.132 the best Pan to use so far?

    0.132 is the latest build. It is not the best, but certainly the
    latest.

    0.14.2 is a much older version, the last before the complete rewrite.
    It has more features than 0.132.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  12. Re: Pan newsreader

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:18:04 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:17:01 +0000, Coffeeman wrote:

    >>> Glad you're happy with a build missing features. 0.14.2.91 handles any
    >>> group I've encountered. One of note which had headers in the 6 digit
    >>> range.

    >> I was digging through the posts looking for the 'right' build of Pan.
    >> Hardy still has the same build as Gutsy--0.132--not the latest build. I
    >> haven't had any major gripes after dropping windows and thus Agent
    >> (which I liked and is very good). Is 0.132 the best Pan to use so far?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > You must have missed all of the previous talk over several months....
    >
    > As well as missing the good advise in the paragraphs above, which you
    > even quoted.
    >
    > Pan version 0.14.2.91 seems to be the best.
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download
    >
    > http://packages.debian.org/sarge/i386/pan/download
    >
    > In the case of Pan, the beta releases are a work in progress, and are
    > missing a lot of features that are included in the stable version.

    Ouch! Thanks for answering the question. And yes, I did miss apparent
    months of conversation on this thread. The stable release is approaching
    5 years old. Ubuntu puts the 0.132 release in Synaptic. So, I just
    wanted to know which one is the most advantageous to use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2