heron beta and screen resolutions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on heron beta and screen resolutions - Ubuntu ; It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install went well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to fix the bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba ...

  1. heron beta and screen resolutions

    It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install went
    well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to fix the
    bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.

    But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even after
    uninstalling the nvidia drivers.

    Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.

    I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    Dave

  2. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    Its not the "ubuntu/debian" preferred solution of using the package
    manager to do everything, but it works. I do not enable the restricted
    hardware nvidia driver. I install it manually, If yours is enabled you
    may want to disable it first, honestly I do not think it will matter.

    1. Go to Nvidia.com and download the driver for your video card.
    2. press ctrl+alt+F4
    3. login and su to root. (If you have not already done so to create a
    root login log in as usual then type sudo passwd root)
    4. cd to where you put the NVIDIA*.run file you downloaded.
    5. type in /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    6. type in ./NVIDIA*.run
    7. follow the screen prompts. (say yes when asked)
    8. type /etc/init.d/gdm start

    It should work from here on in until the kernal is updated again. Then
    just do it again. Takes only a couple of minutes and you are using the
    latest Nvidia drivers.

    Please keep us in mind for ALL of your Real Estate Needs.

    Thank You

    Joseph Boston "Joe"
    INI Realty Investments Inc.
    www.904house.com
    (904) 302-7040

    David wrote:
    > It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install went
    > well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to fix the
    > bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.
    >
    > But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    > effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    > under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even after
    > uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
    >
    > Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.
    >
    > I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    > Dave

  3. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    David wrote:
    > It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install went
    > well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to fix the
    > bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.
    >
    > But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    > effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    > under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even after
    > uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
    >
    > Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.
    >
    > I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    > Dave

    Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my
    machine. Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers.
    After much searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be
    installed in Hardy for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems
    with Compiz.
    This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    must baffles me.
    I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver manager.
    caver1

  4. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    "caver1" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install
    >> went well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to
    >> fix the bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.
    >>
    >> But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    >> effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    >> under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even
    >> after uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
    >>
    >> Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.
    >>
    >> I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    >> Dave

    > Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my machine.
    > Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers. After much
    > searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be installed in Hardy
    > for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems with Compiz.
    > This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    > must baffles me.
    > I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver
    > manager.
    > caver1

    Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    difference at all.
    As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above 640x480
    resolution.
    Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    Dave

  5. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    On 2008-04-09, David wrote:

    > "caver1" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install
    >>> went well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to
    >>> fix the bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.
    >>>
    >>> But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    >>> effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    >>> under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even
    >>> after uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.
    >>>
    >>> I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    >>> Dave

    >> Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my machine.
    >> Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers. After much
    >> searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be installed in Hardy
    >> for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems with Compiz.
    >> This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    >> must baffles me.
    >> I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver
    >> manager.
    >> caver1

    > Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    > difference at all.
    > As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above 640x480
    > resolution.
    > Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    > Dave

    For cases like this, you need to recover your X settings from console
    (not from X).

    So hit Ctrl-Alt-F1.

    Log on as yourself in test mode.

    Type

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    that should hopefully reconfigure your display settings in text mode.

  6. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    David wrote:
    > "caver1" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> It was going so well. Hardy Heron beta downloaded fast and the install
    >>> went well. A few (well over 500 but that shows people are working hard to
    >>> fix the bugs) upgrades later and it had even found my Samba shares.
    >>>
    >>> But then I installed compiz-config-settings -manager to get the fancy 3D
    >>> effects and nvidia accelerated graphics driver (all of which works fine
    >>> under Gutsy) and now I can get only 640x480 graphics maximum res. Even
    >>> after uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Can't seem to see "Admin>Screens and Graphics" anymore.
    >>>
    >>> I know it's beta but if there's a solution can someone help please.
    >>> Dave

    >> Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my machine.
    >> Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers. After much
    >> searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be installed in Hardy
    >> for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems with Compiz.
    >> This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    >> must baffles me.
    >> I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver
    >> manager.
    >> caver1

    > Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    > difference at all.
    > As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above 640x480
    > resolution.
    > Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    > Dave

    Have you tried Envy?
    caver1

  7. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    "caver1" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my
    >>> machine. Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers.
    >>> After much searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be
    >>> installed in Hardy for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems
    >>> with Compiz.
    >>> This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    >>> must baffles me.
    >>> I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver
    >>> manager.
    >>> caver1

    >> Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    >> difference at all.
    >> As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above
    >> 640x480 resolution.
    >> Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    >> Dave

    > Have you tried Envy?
    > caver1

    No not yet as I reverted to reinstalling Hardy which it's doing at the
    moment.
    Will try when done and let you know. But I did have a quick look and
    couldn't find anything when I searched Synaptic for "Envy". Is this the
    correct name for it?
    Cheers

  8. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    "Ignoramus22864" wrote in message
    news:fbCdnYM2z_GjWmHanZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-09, David wrote:
    >>
    >> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Do you have simple-ccsm installed. I had similar problems with my
    >>> machine.
    >>> Everytime I enabled Compiz effects I would lose my videdrivers. After
    >>> much
    >>> searching I read about the simple-ccsm which must be installed in Hardy
    >>> for Compiz to work properly. Now I have no problems with Compiz.
    >>> This was a hard one to find. Why it isn't loaded by default when it is a
    >>> must baffles me.
    >>> I also find that Envy still works better than the restricted driver
    >>> manager.
    >>> caver1

    >> Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    >> difference at all.
    >> As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above
    >> 640x480
    >> resolution.
    >> Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > For cases like this, you need to recover your X settings from console
    > (not from X).
    >
    > So hit Ctrl-Alt-F1.
    >
    > Log on as yourself in test mode.
    >
    > Type
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > that should hopefully reconfigure your display settings in text mode.

    Okay I'll try that when I have access to my PC in a few minutes. (I assume
    you mean text mode when you say "test mode". If not then I don't understand
    and would appreciate some clarity.)
    Cheers

  9. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    On 2008-04-09, David wrote:

    > "Ignoramus22864" wrote in message
    > news:fbCdnYM2z_GjWmHanZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On 2008-04-09, David wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    >>> difference at all.
    >>> As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above
    >>> 640x480
    >>> resolution.
    >>> Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> For cases like this, you need to recover your X settings from console
    >> (not from X).
    >>
    >> So hit Ctrl-Alt-F1.
    >>
    >> Log on as yourself in test mode.
    >>
    >> Type
    >>
    >> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>
    >> that should hopefully reconfigure your display settings in text mode.

    > Okay I'll try that when I have access to my PC in a few minutes. (I assume
    > you mean text mode when you say "test mode". If not then I don't understand
    > and would appreciate some clarity.)
    > Cheers

    I mean teXt mode.

  10. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

  11. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.09.14.27.45.870808@leafnode.amd64.eu...
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:10:40 +0100, David wrote:
    >

    >> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Have you tried Envy?
    >>> caver1

    >> No not yet as I reverted to reinstalling Hardy which it's doing at the
    >> moment.
    >> Will try when done and let you know. But I did have a quick look and
    >> couldn't find anything when I searched Synaptic for "Envy". Is this the
    >> correct name for it?
    >> Cheers

    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >
    > --
    > Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    > Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
    > Testing: Mandriva 2008.1 RC2
    > -- On 64bit systems --

    Many thanks

  12. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    David wrote:
    > "caver1" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the suggestion but I installed simple-ccsm and it made no
    >>> difference at all.
    >>> As I said even if I disable nvidia drivers I still can't get above
    >>> 640x480 resolution.
    >>> Looks like the Hardy team have a bit more work to do.
    >>> Dave

    >> Have you tried Envy?
    >> caver1

    > No not yet as I reverted to reinstalling Hardy which it's doing at the
    > moment.
    > Will try when done and let you know. But I did have a quick look and
    > couldn't find anything when I searched Synaptic for "Envy". Is this the
    > correct name for it?
    > Cheers

    Yes. It's not in Synaptic in Ubuntu, Mint includes it still. You'll have
    to go here- http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    Real simple to use. Hope it works for you.
    caver1

  13. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    David,

    I am running an Nvidia GeForce 6150, I had a simular problem, I
    installed the Nvidia Driver manually as I suggested in my previous
    reply, and set my screen resolution in the Nvidia X server settings menu
    under system tools. I am running 1440x900 as a resolution now. Works
    great.

    "caver1" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Have you tried Envy?
    >>> caver1

    >> No not yet as I reverted to reinstalling Hardy which it's doing at the
    >> moment.
    >> Will try when done and let you know. But I did have a quick look and
    >> couldn't find anything when I searched Synaptic for "Envy". Is this the
    >> correct name for it?
    >> Cheers

    > Yes. It's not in Synaptic in Ubuntu, Mint includes it still. You'll have
    > to go here- http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    > Real simple to use. Hope it works for you.
    > caver1

    Hi,
    Well for varioius other reasons I decided to do a re-install. Nothing much
    to lose as I only installed it today to practise for the big day when it's
    officially released and it gets installed for real. This time I was
    surprised to see I didn't need to install ccsm or simple-ccsm as ccsm seemed
    to be installed already. And when I installed the nvidia driver and set up
    Pref>Adv Desktop FX I could do all the usual FX.
    But thanks to all for their helpful suggestions. They just may come in handy
    in the future.
    Dave

  15. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    David wrote:
    > "caver1" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> No not yet as I reverted to reinstalling Hardy which it's doing at the
    >>> moment.
    >>> Will try when done and let you know. But I did have a quick look and
    >>> couldn't find anything when I searched Synaptic for "Envy". Is this the
    >>> correct name for it?
    >>> Cheers

    >> Yes. It's not in Synaptic in Ubuntu, Mint includes it still. You'll have
    >> to go here- http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >> Real simple to use. Hope it works for you.
    >> caver1

    > Hi,
    > Well for varioius other reasons I decided to do a re-install. Nothing much
    > to lose as I only installed it today to practise for the big day when it's
    > officially released and it gets installed for real. This time I was
    > surprised to see I didn't need to install ccsm or simple-ccsm as ccsm seemed
    > to be installed already. And when I installed the nvidia driver and set up
    > Pref>Adv Desktop FX I could do all the usual FX.
    > But thanks to all for their helpful suggestions. They just may come in handy
    > in the future.
    > Dave

    The problem I found with ccsm was that you still had to have simple-ccsm
    loaded for ccsm to work properly.
    Good luck
    caver1

  16. Re: heron beta and screen resolutions

    "caver1" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Yes. It's not in Synaptic in Ubuntu, Mint includes it still. You'll have
    >>> to go here- http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >>> Real simple to use. Hope it works for you.
    >>> caver1

    >> Hi,
    >> Well for varioius other reasons I decided to do a re-install. Nothing
    >> much to lose as I only installed it today to practise for the big day
    >> when it's officially released and it gets installed for real. This time I
    >> was surprised to see I didn't need to install ccsm or simple-ccsm as ccsm
    >> seemed to be installed already. And when I installed the nvidia driver
    >> and set up Pref>Adv Desktop FX I could do all the usual FX.
    >> But thanks to all for their helpful suggestions. They just may come in
    >> handy in the future.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > The problem I found with ccsm was that you still had to have simple-ccsm
    > loaded for ccsm to work properly.
    > Good luck
    > caver1

    Not my experience, as I write this, but I guess we are talking about a fast
    moving changing target.
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave

    David wrote:
    > "caver1" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> "caver1" wrote in message

    >>> Hi,
    >>> Well for varioius other reasons I decided to do a re-install. Nothing
    >>> much to lose as I only installed it today to practise for the big day
    >>> when it's officially released and it gets installed for real. This time I
    >>> was surprised to see I didn't need to install ccsm or simple-ccsm as ccsm
    >>> seemed to be installed already. And when I installed the nvidia driver
    >>> and set up Pref>Adv Desktop FX I could do all the usual FX.
    >>> But thanks to all for their helpful suggestions. They just may come in
    >>> handy in the future.
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> The problem I found with ccsm was that you still had to have simple-ccsm
    >> loaded for ccsm to work properly.
    >> Good luck
    >> caver1

    > Not my experience, as I write this, but I guess we are talking about a fast
    > moving changing target.
    > Thanks for the help.
    > Dave

    Thats the way of computers. They are all slightly different. So all we
    can do is post what worked for us and hope it helps.
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread