dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it appears to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore. Is Dansguardian doing the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 200

  1. dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Hi all,

    I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it appears
    to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore. Is
    Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module? How do I
    configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    Thanks in advance.

    Daniel

  2. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    > Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it appears
    > to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore. Is
    > Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module? How do I
    > configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    Never heard of this.

    Does this parental control work for atheists?

    What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    personally.

  3. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:19:27 -0400
    "Daniel" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my
    >regular Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web
    >content, it appears to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh
    >into anymore. Is Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some
    >other module? How do I configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Daniel

    es, it install firehol. Best to way to manage is using webmin.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
    ;-)

  4. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:34:37 -0500, Ignoramus6985 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it
    >> appears to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore.
    >> Is Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module?
    >> How do I configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    > Never heard of this.
    >
    > Does this parental control work for atheists?
    >
    > What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    > personally.

    Ubuntu CE comes with Dan's Guardian and a few other software packages pre-
    installed. It is an easy enough matter to install it if you want. DG is an
    internet content filter - it blocks access to certain offensive sites.

  5. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Take a look at this link which provides a download for this web filtering
    software.
    http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.co...-packages.html

    "Ignoramus6985" wrote in message
    news:G8idndTTiptgb2banZ2dnUVZ_qzinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it
    >> appears
    >> to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore. Is
    >> Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module? How
    >> do I
    >> configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    > Never heard of this.
    >
    > Does this parental control work for atheists?
    >
    > What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    > personally.

  6. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    "Holz" wrote in message

    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:19:27 -0400
    > "Daniel" wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my
    >>regular Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web
    >>content, it appears to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh
    >>into anymore. Is Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some
    >>other module? How do I configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>Daniel
    >>

    > es, it install firehol. Best to way to manage is using webmin.

    Thanks!

    > --
    > Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
    > ;-)

  7. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    > I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    I'm appalled.

  8. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100
    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > I'm appalled.

    Why? I did not no that Linux spells anti-religious, but I guess in
    this group everything is subject to flame.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  9. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    > I'm appalled.

    It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    modules. Is there?

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  10. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.09.06.07.45.674423@stovell.org.uk...
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >

    >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    Aaah, so this filter strips out all scientific and factual content, only
    allowing through religious, spaghetti monster type information!

    It should be a crime to instill ones religious beliefs onto your children.

    Bah!

  11. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    "Dogma Discharge" wrote in message

    > "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.04.09.06.07.45.674423@stovell.org.uk...

    > Aaah, so this filter strips out all scientific and factual content, only
    > allowing through religious, spaghetti monster type information!
    >
    > It should be a crime to instill ones religious beliefs onto your children.
    >
    > Bah!

    Why every parent attempts to brainwash their kids, some are just better at
    it.
    This is a tool to impose your will on the kids.
    There will be a linux filter soon.. it will block all references to M$ and
    windows. ;-)
    Or maybe a Bush filter that blocks all references to the rest of the world
    for American families? ;-)

  12. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Dogma Discharge wrote:
    > "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.04.09.06.07.45.674423@stovell.org.uk...

    > Aaah, so this filter strips out all scientific and factual content, only
    > allowing through religious, spaghetti monster type information!
    >
    > It should be a crime to instill ones religious beliefs onto your children.
    >
    > Bah!

    Exactly! We should allow everyone (and anyone) else to instil THEIR
    beliefs and values on our children... I mean, why should parents be
    allowed to instruct their own children with any value-system at all;
    religious or otherwise? Let's just give parents all the responsibility
    with none of the rights...that should work!

    FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

    Peace,

    James

  13. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    >> I'm appalled.

    > It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    > modules. Is there?

    I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.

    --
    Mike McGinn
    "more kidneys than eyes"

  14. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:34:37 -0500, Ignoramus6985 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    >>> Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it
    >>> appears to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore.
    >>> Is Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module?
    >>> How do I configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    >> Never heard of this.
    >>
    >> Does this parental control work for atheists?
    >>
    >> What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    >> personally.

    > Ubuntu CE comes with Dan's Guardian and a few other software packages pre-
    > installed. It is an easy enough matter to install it if you want. DG is an
    > internet content filter - it blocks access to certain offensive sites.

    OK, I read a little about it, I am confused. Can it be bypassed? It is
    basically a proxy, so the browser should be configured to use it?

  15. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Mike McGinn wrote:
    > Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> I'm appalled.

    >> It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >> modules. Is there?
    >>

    > I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.

    It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    party instead of doing it themselves.
    caver1

  16. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:
    > Mike McGinn wrote:
    >> Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >>> modules. Is there?
    >>>

    >> I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.
    >>

    > It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    > same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    > party instead of doing it themselves.
    > caver1

    Actually, this Dan's Guardian package explains that they give control
    to the parent and the parent can choose how to filter. It is based on
    content rather than a list of sites. Aside from my question about
    being able to simply bypass it, I think that it is a sensible
    approach.

    As for the parents coming up with the list of porn sites, that's a
    little bit tedious as there are many porn sites.

    I download my porn right off usenet using my custom scripts. I dont
    visit any paid websites, being a cheap Linux user bastard.

  17. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:
    >> Mike McGinn wrote:

    >>> I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.
    >>>

    >> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    >> same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    >> party instead of doing it themselves.
    >> caver1

    > Actually, this Dan's Guardian package explains that they give control
    > to the parent and the parent can choose how to filter. It is based on
    > content rather than a list of sites. Aside from my question about
    > being able to simply bypass it, I think that it is a sensible
    > approach.
    >
    > As for the parents coming up with the list of porn sites, that's a
    > little bit tedious as there are many porn sites.
    >
    > I download my porn right off usenet using my custom scripts. I dont
    > visit any paid websites, being a cheap Linux user bastard.

    Personally I teach my kids. Mistakes happen. Evrything on a computer can
    be bypassed. If I want my kids to stay away from porn then I stay away
    from porn. How else do you tech values.
    If you tell you child one thing is right an do the opposite then your
    child will grow up to believe that you really have no values.
    example- tell your kids they can't smoke its not good for you but then
    you go through a couple of packs a day.
    caver1

  18. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:
    > Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    >>> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    >>> same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    >>> party instead of doing it themselves.
    >>> caver1

    >> Actually, this Dan's Guardian package explains that they give control
    >> to the parent and the parent can choose how to filter. It is based on
    >> content rather than a list of sites. Aside from my question about
    >> being able to simply bypass it, I think that it is a sensible
    >> approach.
    >>
    >> As for the parents coming up with the list of porn sites, that's a
    >> little bit tedious as there are many porn sites.
    >>
    >> I download my porn right off usenet using my custom scripts. I dont
    >> visit any paid websites, being a cheap Linux user bastard.

    > Personally I teach my kids. Mistakes happen. Evrything on a computer can
    > be bypassed. If I want my kids to stay away from porn then I stay away
    > from porn. How else do you tech values.

    How old are your kids?

    How do you explain what is porn, to a 6 year old?

    > If you tell you child one thing is right an do the opposite then your
    > child will grow up to believe that you really have no values.
    > example- tell your kids they can't smoke its not good for you but then
    > you go through a couple of packs a day.

    Porn is not wrong, as such, it is just not appropriate for small
    children.

    I do not let my small kids use chainsaws either.

    Not because I am a hypocrite, but because children are not capable of
    dealing with it properly.

    I am not sure if you actually have kids, since if you did, you would
    understand that some things cannot be properly explained to a kid that
    is too young.

  19. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Dogma Discharge wrote:
    > "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.04.09.06.07.45.674423@stovell.org.uk...

    > Aaah, so this filter strips out all scientific and factual content, only
    > allowing through religious, spaghetti monster type information!
    >
    > It should be a crime to instill ones religious beliefs onto your children.
    >
    > Bah!

    Precisely.

  20. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:54:05 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:

    >>> Never heard of this.
    >>>
    >>> Does this parental control work for atheists?
    >>>
    >>> What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    >>> personally.

    >> Ubuntu CE comes with Dan's Guardian and a few other software packages
    >> pre- installed. It is an easy enough matter to install it if you want.
    >> DG is an internet content filter - it blocks access to certain
    >> offensive sites.

    > OK, I read a little about it, I am confused. Can it be bypassed? It is
    > basically a proxy, so the browser should be configured to use it?

    Yes. Super User can shut it down. It works as an intermediary, so filters
    content for all browsers. There is similar functionality than can be
    installed for specific browsers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast