dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu ; In article , Phil Stovell wrote: >On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote: > >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module >> >> I'm appalled. > >It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and ...

  1. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    In article , Phil Stovell wrote:
    >On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    >> I'm appalled.

    >It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >modules. Is there?

    I'm with the other poster ... religion based cesorship is ... abhorrent to
    me. By all means choose what you read, or even what your kids read ... but
    censoring by religion seems to have all the disadvantages with none of the
    advantages. Obviously mileages vary ... but I did hope the original poster
    was joking. Sadly, it appears not.

    Another linux advantage ? Possibly.

  2. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    In article , "Cork Soaker" wrote:

    >: FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

    >Yes they are.

    I have known religious scientists. Yes, good ones.
    The good ones keep the belief systems separate. It is possible.

  3. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:

    > In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    > from? God made it.

    Therefore god is nothing, since all there was was "nothingness".

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-09, Mike McGinn wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    >>> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    >>> same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    >>> party instead of doing it themselves.
    >>> caver1

    >> I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    >> to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    >> children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.
    >>

    > Would your answer be the same if your son was 6 instead of 17?
    >
    > At 17, I don't think that I would care too much about his [legal] porn
    > use, other than using too much hard drive space or bandwidth.
    >
    > But at 6, I think that porn can be a little too disturbing.

    Yes.
    You have to explain things in an age appropriate manner. When he was
    four he wanted to know how babies were made. 'Babies are made from
    love.' did the trick.

    The concept of people looking at each other's pee-pees and it is a bad
    thing to do would work at six.

    I don't understand the big deal.

    --
    Mike McGinn
    "more kidneys than eyes"

  5. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 9 Apr 2008 21:39:56 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >caver1 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    >>> the concept of faith. Or something.
    >>>

    >> The stsrt point is the same - faith.
    >> Think about it.
    >> In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    >> from? God made it.

    >OK. Let's say this is the case.
    >
    >Firstly. Where does the concept of *god* come from?
    >
    >Do you think Seagulls, Cats, Leopards, Single Cell Ameoba, Whales,
    >Shrimp go off and worship this deity and thank him for thweir
    >existence?
    >
    >If "God" created and we should all be thankful, then surely they
    >would?
    >
    >Or am I missing something?
    >
    >> or
    >> In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    >> was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    >> where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    >> faith in everything was made from nothing.
    >> They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.

    >If you want my opinion, and you probably don't, then I would say, YES.
    >The big bang, molecules and atoms forming life over time is the more
    >plausible explanation than some "bloke" who decided to "create an
    >eco-system" simply becuase he could.
    >
    >Still. Stranger things have happened. I once remember laughing at
    >Bobby Davro, god bless my little laughing box.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Davro >

    Looks like he was (has been) on the telly for quite some time, so
    somebody must enjoy him. Does this mean you don't, or you don't have
    a sense of humour? But I do agree with your big bang sentiment. )

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  6. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:12:12 +0100, "dennis@home"
    wrote:

    >"Dogma Discharge" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.04.09.06.07.45.674423@stovell.org.uk...

    >> Aaah, so this filter strips out all scientific and factual content, only
    >> allowing through religious, spaghetti monster type information!
    >>
    >> It should be a crime to instill ones religious beliefs onto your children.
    >>
    >> Bah!
    >>

    >Why every parent attempts to brainwash their kids, some are just better at
    >it.
    >This is a tool to impose your will on the kids.
    >There will be a linux filter soon.. it will block all references to M$ and
    >windows. ;-)
    >Or maybe a Bush filter that blocks all references to the rest of the world
    >for American families? ;-)

    Better yet, block out all references to Bush, except that he is the
    basis for so much humour.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  7. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Assuming that I remember correctly, and that it works through Squid...

    Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    > So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    > proxy?

    Yes

    > Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    > particular computer?

    Many browsers allow the user to turn on orr off the proxy.

    FireFox has a way an admin can lock the proxy setting.

    Squid will be set to listen on a particular port, and call Dansguardian
    for additional processing on the URI.

    I use squidGuard instead of Dan's Guardian. I just run the proxy on a
    server, and the firewalls on all the other computers block port 80.

    So even if the kids could download their own copy of FireFox, or write
    their own browser to bypass the proxy, they still couldn't get to the
    web directly. Now if they were to borrow a computer with 802.11,
    and if they understood the implications of living within range of
    over a dozen unsecured access points, ....

    Oh, well, they have to grow up someday.

    If a crime is committed using an unsecured WiFi access point, what are
    the limitations on the owner's liability?

    (Answer: Depends on which legal jurisdiction)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  8. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    I am amazed that people spend so much time talking about this
    balderdash, is there a god, or not. Who cares. God is of no
    consequence even if it exists. Which it obviously does not.

  9. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Moog wrote:
    > The big bang, molecules and atoms forming life over time is the more
    > plausible explanation than some "bloke" who decided to "create an
    > eco-system" simply becuase he could.

    For 99% of human beings (theist or not), "more plausible" is equivalent
    to "doesn't threaten any beliefs I'm comfortable with."

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ------

  10. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:07:45 +0100, Phil Stovell
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:45:11 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >

    >>> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module

    >> I'm appalled.

    >It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >modules. Is there?

    Since most wars throughout history have been fought over religion and
    very few, if any, fought over porn, I'm for blocking religious sites.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  11. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    caver1 wrote:
    > Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    >> I have not one but many computers, and cannot possibly monitor them.

    > Then tell them which computers they can get on and which they can't and

    No one in my house, whether two or twenty gets on a computer
    without a password. I have as much right--maybe even duty--
    to control web access as I have to control access to matches,
    high voltage, poisons, or credit cards.

    Heck, there are websites I don't want _myself_ going to accidentally.
    I'm certainly not obligated to unblock those for other users of MY
    computers.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
    http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/QG/

  12. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    >>> I'm appalled.

    >> It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >> modules. Is there?

    > I'm with the other poster ... religion based cesorship is ... abhorrent to
    > me. By all means choose what you read, or even what your kids read ... but
    > censoring by religion seems to have all the disadvantages with none of the

    ....but don't allow your religion to have any influence on your choices?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  13. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-10, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    >>> I have not one but many computers, and cannot possibly monitor them.

    >> Then tell them which computers they can get on and which they can't and

    > No one in my house, whether two or twenty gets on a computer
    > without a password. I have as much right--maybe even duty--
    > to control web access as I have to control access to matches,
    > high voltage, poisons, or credit cards.

    Same here.

    > Heck, there are websites I don't want _myself_ going to accidentally.
    > I'm certainly not obligated to unblock those for other users of MY
    > computers.

    I think that noone seriously questions parental control here, the
    question is, what makes sense to do.

  14. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-08, Ignoramus6985 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have installed the Christian Parental Controls module into my regular
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy version. In addition to filtering the web content, it appears
    >> to have installed a firewall because I cannot ssh into anymore. Is
    >> Dansguardian doing the actual firewall, or is it some other module? How do I
    >> configure it so that I open ssh and other ports?

    > Never heard of this.
    >
    > Does this parental control work for atheists?
    >
    > What exactly does it do? I am interested in some parental software
    > personally.

    Personally, I would skip the "Christian" controls, and just install
    Dansguardian and Squid. Dansguardian is an excellent content filter
    that works with a proxy (squid). I run a server at the house on
    CentOS 4.5 with Squid/Dans and have the kids machines configured to
    use that proxy for all internet requests.

    Not only does it block the content you want to avoid, but it also
    provides nice logs.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  15. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    > So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    > proxy?
    >
    > Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    > particular computer?

    The filter is a background process, and the browser does need to be
    configured for it. You can, however, set up your firewall to prevent
    any browsing from a pc without going through the proxy.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  16. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> :
    >>> : FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    >>> :
    >>>
    >>> Yes they are.

    >> No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    >> the concept of faith. Or something.
    >>

    > The stsrt point is the same - faith.
    > Think about it.
    > In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    > from? God made it.
    > or
    > In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    > was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    > where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    > faith in everything was made from nothing.
    > They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.

    No, Science does not say that everything came from nothing. Science
    says that something was always there. A small piece of that something
    was a black hole. That black hole collapsed on it's singularity. The
    singularity exploded, and produced our known universe.

    It is a bit more complex than that, but that is a good start. Oddly
    enough, as brilliant as he is, Hawking explains it all in a very
    compelling and easy to understand manner, if you can put aside your
    religious bent...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    In article , Roy Strachan wrote:
    >On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:07:45 +0100, Phil Stovell
    >wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm appalled.

    >>It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >>modules. Is there?

    >Since most wars throughout history have been fought over religion and
    >very few, if any, fought over porn, I'm for blocking religious sites.

    LOL That case can indeed be argued

  18. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:

    > Here is where you are jumping to conclusions. Where did I ever say God
    > exists?
    > There are equally closed minds on both sides.
    > Both say that everything came from nothing.
    > Even Quantum mechanics.
    > Every one says the size of the Universe is impossible for the human mind
    > to comprehend. Try imagining nothing thats even harder.
    > Both sides rely on a certain amount of faith.
    > It is a little mind that belittles someone for their beliefs. And
    > neither side is free of that little mindedness.

    No, science does not rely on faith, nor does it state that everything
    came from nothing. Science is a search. It starts with the
    understanding that we do not know everything, and works towards
    figuring out as much as we can in a search for knowledge.

    Religion starts out by assuming that we do know everything. Anything
    that we don't have a rational answer for, we just lump into "God made
    it", and whammo - simple explanation. The two are mutually exclusive,
    and only one of them is closed-minded.

    Hell, Science does not even insist that there is no "creator". That
    is always the possibility. It may just turn out that it is the
    eventual answer. The difference is that science will not get there
    without proof. For religion, no proof is needed, and no lack of proof
    will ever be enough to dissuade.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  19. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    In article , groleau+nntp@freeshell.org wrote:

    >>> It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >>> modules. Is there?

    >> I'm with the other poster ... religion based cesorship is ... abhorrent to
    >> me. By all means choose what you read, or even what your kids read ... but
    >> censoring by religion seems to have all the disadvantages with none of the

    >....but don't allow your religion to have any influence on your choices?

    ? not sure what you mean here. Are you meaning you don't want you kids
    'exposed' to anything that might challenge the dogma provided by their
    parents ?
    I'd be seriously against that. Parents have a duty to let their kids come to
    their own conclusions ... with a little steering as to "right" and "wrong".
    If parents provide the models, kids are pretty good at picking up the cues.

    I'm against censorship generally. It's a bit like prohibition ... it
    doesn't work anyway. I'm for parents taking an interest in what their kids
    do, spending time with them and educating them.

  20. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article , "Cork Soaker" wrote:
    >
    >>: FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

    >>Yes they are.

    > I have known religious scientists. Yes, good ones.
    > The good ones keep the belief systems separate. It is possible.

    Absolutely. It is possible to start out with a belief in God, then
    set out in search of proof. The only thing that would make them
    "good" scientists, though, is if they were willing to disregard their
    faith in a creator if such evidence came around that sufficiently
    proved a different truth. Most religious folks cannot do this.