dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on dansguardian/christian parental controls question - Ubuntu ; On 2008-04-09, ray wrote: > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:54:05 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote: > >> On 2008-04-09, ray wrote: >>> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:34:37 -0500, Ignoramus6985 wrote: >>> >>>> On 2008-04-08, Daniel wrote: >>>>> Hi all, >>>>> ...

  1. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:54:05 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu CE comes with Dan's Guardian and a few other software packages
    >>> pre- installed. It is an easy enough matter to install it if you want.
    >>> DG is an internet content filter - it blocks access to certain
    >>> offensive sites.

    >> OK, I read a little about it, I am confused. Can it be bypassed? It is
    >> basically a proxy, so the browser should be configured to use it?

    > Yes. Super User can shut it down. It works as an intermediary, so filters
    > content for all browsers. There is similar functionality than can be
    > installed for specific browsers.

    So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    proxy?

    Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    particular computer?

  2. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:00:54 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:

    >>> OK, I read a little about it, I am confused. Can it be bypassed? It is
    >>> basically a proxy, so the browser should be configured to use it?

    >> Yes. Super User can shut it down. It works as an intermediary, so
    >> filters content for all browsers. There is similar functionality than
    >> can be installed for specific browsers.

    > So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    > proxy?
    >
    > Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    > particular computer?

    It filters content for all the browsers.

  3. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:00:54 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    >>> Yes. Super User can shut it down. It works as an intermediary, so
    >>> filters content for all browsers. There is similar functionality than
    >>> can be installed for specific browsers.

    >> So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    >> proxy?
    >>
    >> Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    >> particular computer?

    > It filters content for all the browsers.

    Interesting. So it somehow filters on the network level, right?

    Would it interfere with wget, and such?

    What about aptitude?

  4. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    caver1 wrote:
    > Mike McGinn wrote:
    >> Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> It'd be OK if there's also Jewish, Moslem and Atheist parental controls
    >>> modules. Is there?
    >>>

    >> I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.
    >>

    > It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    > same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    > party instead of doing it themselves.
    > caver1

    I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.

    --
    Mike McGinn
    "more kidneys than eyes"

  5. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, Mike McGinn wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Mike McGinn wrote:

    >>> I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.
    >>>

    >> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    >> same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    >> party instead of doing it themselves.
    >> caver1

    > I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    > to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    > children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.

    Would your answer be the same if your son was 6 instead of 17?

    At 17, I don't think that I would care too much about his [legal] porn
    use, other than using too much hard drive space or bandwidth.

    But at 6, I think that porn can be a little too disturbing.

  6. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:20:27 -0500, Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-09, ray wrote:

    >>> So, does the browser need to be configured to use this dansguardian
    >>> proxy?
    >>>
    >>> Or does it, somehow, take effect for all browsers installed on a
    >>> particular computer?

    >> It filters content for all the browsers.

    > Interesting. So it somehow filters on the network level, right?
    >
    > Would it interfere with wget, and such?
    >
    > What about aptitude?

    I've been using it on several computers I admin at the local library. I've
    not tried wget. I've had no difficulties installing and updating. That's
    about all I can tell you.

  7. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Mike McGinn wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Mike McGinn wrote:

    >>> I am waiting for the Unitarian Universalist parental control module.
    >>>

    >> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have
    >> the same values as themselves that they want to give control to some
    >> third party instead of doing it themselves.
    >> caver1

    > I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    > to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    > children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.

    Agreed.
    caver1

  8. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    :
    : FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    :

    Yes they are.

  9. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Ignoramus22864 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-09, Mike McGinn wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    >>> It has always amazed me that when a parent wants their child to have the
    >>> same values as themselves that they want to give control to some third
    >>> party instead of doing it themselves.
    >>> caver1

    >> I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    >> to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    >> children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.
    >>

    > Would your answer be the same if your son was 6 instead of 17?
    >
    > At 17, I don't think that I would care too much about his [legal] porn
    > use, other than using too much hard drive space or bandwidth.
    >
    > But at 6, I think that porn can be a little too disturbing.

    How many times does a 6 year old stumble across porn. Even if they did
    if computer was in public area then it would be caught soon enough and a
    discussion ensue. If you want you can use Opendns for your name server.
    they block most of the porn.
    My kids were on from a young age with us watching more whan they were
    younger and less as they aged. They got to where on their own they don't
    want to go to those sites.
    ccaver1

  10. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >:
    >: FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    >:
    >
    > Yes they are.

    No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    the concept of faith. Or something.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    "Moog" wrote in message
    : Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    : >
    : >:
    : >: FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    : >:
    : >
    : > Yes they are.
    :
    : No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    : the concept of faith. Or something.
    :

    There is no god, so..... they are.

  12. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > :
    > : FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    > :
    >
    > Yes they are.

    That's only in the mind of the ignorant, close minded.
    Which you have on both sides.
    caver1

  13. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >: Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >: >
    >: >:
    >: >: FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    >: >:
    >: >
    >: > Yes they are.
    >:
    >: No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    >: the concept of faith. Or something.
    >:
    >
    > There is no god, so..... they are.

    I can hear John Lydon. Can you?

    "And prey to the god of a bitch spelled backwards is dog"

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  14. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> :
    >> : FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    >> :
    >>
    >> Yes they are.

    > No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    > the concept of faith. Or something.

    The stsrt point is the same - faith.
    Think about it.
    In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    from? God made it.
    or
    In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    faith in everything was made from nothing.
    They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.
    caver1

  15. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    :
    :
    : That's only in the mind of the ignorant, close minded.
    : Which you have on both sides.
    : caver1

    Oh well there's must be a god, you said.

  16. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    : In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    : was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    : where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    : faith in everything was made from nothing.
    : They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.

    Haven't read much Quantum Theory have you?

  17. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    On 2008-04-09, caver1 wrote:
    > Ignoramus22864 wrote:

    >>> I have a teenage son (17). I have never restricted his surfing. He seems
    >>> to be fine. It is my feeling that open and frank discussions with
    >>> children will accomplish much more than any amount of blocking.
    >>>

    >> Would your answer be the same if your son was 6 instead of 17?
    >>
    >> At 17, I don't think that I would care too much about his [legal] porn
    >> use, other than using too much hard drive space or bandwidth.
    >>
    >> But at 6, I think that porn can be a little too disturbing.

    > How many times does a 6 year old stumble across porn. Even if they did
    > if computer was in public area then it would be caught soon enough and a
    > discussion ensue. If you want you can use Opendns for your name server.
    > they block most of the porn.

    There are many ways to stumble across porn without meaning to. Such as
    searching for a keyword with a typo in a search engine.

    Or following a link from a "funny jokes website".

    > My kids were on from a young age with us watching more whan they were
    > younger and less as they aged. They got to where on their own they don't
    > want to go to those sites.

    That's what you think.

    Besides, porn is much better than getting unexpected grandchildren
    from some random tramps.

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > : In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    > : was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    > : where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    > : faith in everything was made from nothing.
    > : They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.
    >

    > Haven't read much Quantum Theory have you?

    Even Quantum only goes back so far.
    caver1

  19. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    caver1 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> :
    >>> : FWIW, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
    >>> :
    >>>
    >>> Yes they are.

    >> No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    >> the concept of faith. Or something.
    >>

    > The stsrt point is the same - faith.
    > Think about it.
    > In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    > from? God made it.

    OK. Let's say this is the case.

    Firstly. Where does the concept of *god* come from?

    Do you think Seagulls, Cats, Leopards, Single Cell Ameoba, Whales,
    Shrimp go off and worship this deity and thank him for thweir
    existence?

    If "God" created and we should all be thankful, then surely they
    would?

    Or am I missing something?

    > or
    > In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    > was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    > where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    > faith in everything was made from nothing.
    > They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.

    If you want my opinion, and you probably don't, then I would say, YES.
    The big bang, molecules and atoms forming life over time is the more
    plausible explanation than some "bloke" who decided to "create an
    eco-system" simply becuase he could.

    Still. Stranger things have happened. I once remember laughing at
    Bobby Davro, god bless my little laughing box.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Davro >

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  20. Re: dansguardian/christian parental controls question

    Moog wrote:
    > caver1 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No. If you're relgious, then god obviously invented science to prove
    >>> the concept of faith. Or something.
    >>>

    >> The stsrt point is the same - faith.
    >> Think about it.
    >> In the beginning there was void, nothingness. Where did everything come
    >> from? God made it.

    > OK. Let's say this is the case.
    >
    > Firstly. Where does the concept of *god* come from?
    >
    > Do you think Seagulls, Cats, Leopards, Single Cell Ameoba, Whales,
    > Shrimp go off and worship this deity and thank him for thweir
    > existence?
    >
    > If "God" created and we should all be thankful, then surely they
    > would?
    >
    > Or am I missing something?
    >
    >> or
    >> In the beginning there was nothing a void. then all of a sudden there
    >> was a Big Bang and everything was made-by chance.
    >> where was everything before either of these? both sides put their
    >> faith in everything was made from nothing.
    >> They are only mutually exclusive in the close minded.

    > If you want my opinion, and you probably don't, then I would say, YES.
    > The big bang, molecules and atoms forming life over time is the more
    > plausible explanation than some "bloke" who decided to "create an
    > eco-system" simply becuase he could.
    >
    > Still. Stranger things have happened. I once remember laughing at
    > Bobby Davro, god bless my little laughing box.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Davro >

    Here is where you are jumping to conclusions. Where did I ever say God
    exists?
    There are equally closed minds on both sides.
    Both say that everything came from nothing.
    Even Quantum mechanics.
    Every one says the size of the Universe is impossible for the human mind
    to comprehend. Try imagining nothing thats even harder.
    Both sides rely on a certain amount of faith.
    It is a little mind that belittles someone for their beliefs. And
    neither side is free of that little mindedness.
    caver1