Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when.... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when.... - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:03:07 -0500, Harold Stevens wrote: > In William Poaster: > > [Snip...] > >> a sworn testimony before Courts, in 2005 > > Interesting (to me): that was a year or so before the M$/Novell ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:03:07 -0500, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In William Poaster:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> a sworn testimony before Courts, in 2005

    > Interesting (to me): that was a year or so before the M$/Novell BogoPatent
    > Axis Nonagression Pact (Nov. 2006). Also, that's about the time the wheels
    > started to come off the SCO Linux Litigation Corporation. Then there's the
    > EU starting to whack M$ but good with serious trade restraint fines.
    >
    > Finally, it's when ISTR first running across Ubuntu, thinking: this is the
    > first Linux that seems a genuine threat to M$ OEM desktop chokeholds.
    >
    > Every M$ trick in the playbook is failing, and the wintrolls KNOW it. Then
    > what does Monkey Boy decide to do about Ubuntu (etc.)? Buy Yahoo, natch.
    >
    > Brilliant, Ballmer. Here, throw another chair for Shuttleworth, because he
    > and Ubuntu could make Google least of your worries if "your" OEMs defect.

    After the threats from M$ saying that linux infringed their patents (which
    M$ did not & never has proved) & Novell, Linspire & Xandros rushed to sign
    patent protection deals with the Beast of Redmond, (which reminded me of
    the old gangster "protecton" rackets) Shuttleworth announced in June
    2007 that neither he, the Ubuntu project, nor Canonical had any interest
    in signing any deals with M$.

    So far, Mandriva & RedHat are the other major Linux players not to have
    signed with Mafia$oft.

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

  2. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article , William Poaster wrote:
    >> M$ say in their quarterly SEC filings, that Linux users make up over 17%
    >> of all Internet users & with an estimated growth rate of more than 3% per
    >> annum. M$ Executives also stated this in a sworn testimony before Courts,
    >> in 2005.

    > .. and we all know that MS would never lie in court, don't we.
    > Even so, they are bound to get the odd thing right I guess.

    Without some "unbiased" corroboration, I'd think there's a typo there.

    Maybe 1.7% ?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Words of the Wild Wes(t) = http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW

  3. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:23:03 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article , William
    >> Poaster wrote:
    >>> M$ say in their quarterly SEC filings, that Linux users make up over
    >>> 17% of all Internet users & with an estimated growth rate of more than
    >>> 3% per annum. M$ Executives also stated this in a sworn testimony
    >>> before Courts, in 2005.

    >> .. and we all know that MS would never lie in court, don't we. Even
    >> so, they are bound to get the odd thing right I guess.

    > Without some "unbiased" corroboration, I'd think there's a typo there.
    >
    > Maybe 1.7% ?

    So, you think it's a typo.
    Why would M$ be worried about 1.7%? And make no mistake, they *are*
    worried. Why would Ballmer call Linux *the* Number One Threat?

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit
    Released April 9th 2008.

  4. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Why would M$ be worried about 1.7%? And make no mistake, they *are*
    > worried. Why would Ballmer call Linux *the* Number One Threat?

    It's obvious they're worried.

    Nevertheless, does anyone here, FUD-puller, fan-boy, or rational person,
    think Linux use is at 17% ?

    Maybe M$ intentionally exaggerated the number to defend against
    a monopoly charge.

    I don't know, but I still doubt the 17%

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Answer not a fool according to his folly,
    lest thou also be like unto him.
    Answer a fool according to his folly,
    lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
    -- Solomon

    Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
    -- Groleau

  5. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 04:26:46 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Why would M$ be worried about 1.7%? And make no mistake, they *are*
    >> worried. Why would Ballmer call Linux *the* Number One Threat?

    > It's obvious they're worried.
    >
    > Nevertheless, does anyone here, FUD-puller, fan-boy, or rational person,
    > think Linux use is at 17% ?
    >
    > Maybe M$ intentionally exaggerated the number to defend against a monopoly
    > charge.
    >
    > I don't know, but I still doubt the 17%

    As you say, you *don't* know.
    There are many estimations (& with an OS that's free to download & which
    no restrictions on how many machines it can be installed on, that's all
    they *can* be) which put the use of GNU/Linux as low as 5% & as high as
    18%. It's virtually impossible to say.
    Over the last 10 years since I've used it, the growth in its use in
    the UK is *very* noticeable & the number of Linux User Groups has
    increased tremendously. The one I'm a memeber of, has seen, & is seeing an
    increasing number of local people & small businesses moving to
    Linux....though with M$'s latest offering, that's hardly suprising.
    I also know that two people who came to one of our LUG open days, had
    Linux installed on their Macs by LUG members.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit
    Released April 9th 2008.

+ Reply to Thread