crashed application - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on crashed application - Ubuntu ; Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide. It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such behaviour. I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to close ...

  1. crashed application

    Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide.

    It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such
    behaviour.

    I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to close
    the errant one down and keep the others. But it refused to go.

    Is there a keystroke sequence for getting out of a crashed programme
    without a total shut down. Something like ctl+alt+del in windows?

    Thanks

  2. Re: crashed application

    david schreef:
    > Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide.
    >
    > It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such
    > behaviour.
    >
    > I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to close
    > the errant one down and keep the others. But it refused to go.
    >
    > Is there a keystroke sequence for getting out of a crashed programme
    > without a total shut down. Something like ctl+alt+del in windows?
    >

    > Thanks

    Ctrl+Alt+Esc above a window will kill that application.

    Ctrl+Alt+BkSp will restart the desktop

    In Kubuntu (KDE) Ctrl+Esc will start the Process Table where you can
    seelct the application you want to kill.

    Optional you could start from the terminal 'top' and select the
    application to kill.

  3. Re: crashed application

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:21:24 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > david schreef:
    >> Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide.
    >>
    >> It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such
    >> behaviour.
    >>
    >> I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to
    >> close the errant one down and keep the others. But it refused to go.
    >>
    >> Is there a keystroke sequence for getting out of a crashed programme
    >> without a total shut down. Something like ctl+alt+del in windows?
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > Ctrl+Alt+Esc above a window will kill that application.
    >
    > Ctrl+Alt+BkSp will restart the desktop
    >
    > In Kubuntu (KDE) Ctrl+Esc will start the Process Table where you can
    > seelct the application you want to kill.
    >
    > Optional you could start from the terminal 'top' and select the
    > application to kill.

    Hi Dirk,
    Thanks for this.

    Just tried this and ctrl+alt+BkSP did force a restart of my system but
    not sure what you mean by "above a window" for the ctrl+alt+esc command.

    I tried on a couple of live apps but they kept running. Sorry if this
    sounds a basic question but new to this.

    Also killing "from the terminal top" means what?

    Is there a page which can help me more on this. Google was not my friend
    today when I tried it.
    Thanks again
    David

  4. Re: crashed application

    david schreef:
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:21:24 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> david schreef:
    >>> Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide.
    >>>
    >>> It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such
    >>> behaviour.
    >>>
    >>> I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to
    >>> close the errant one down and keep the others. But it refused to go.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a keystroke sequence for getting out of a crashed programme
    >>> without a total shut down. Something like ctl+alt+del in windows?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks

    >> Ctrl+Alt+Esc above a window will kill that application.
    >>
    >> Ctrl+Alt+BkSp will restart the desktop
    >>
    >> In Kubuntu (KDE) Ctrl+Esc will start the Process Table where you can
    >> seelct the application you want to kill.
    >>
    >> Optional you could start from the terminal 'top' and select the
    >> application to kill.

    > Hi Dirk,
    > Thanks for this.
    >
    > Just tried this and ctrl+alt+BkSP did force a restart of my system but
    > not sure what you mean by "above a window" for the ctrl+alt+esc command.

    Hmm, maybe it's KDE only. I'm not sure but thought it was X specific.
    What it means is you kep the mouse cursor above the window of the stuck
    application and kill it by Ctrl+Alt+Esc followed by Enter.
    I should have included that 'followed by Enter'...

    > I tried on a couple of live apps but they kept running. Sorry if this
    > sounds a basic question but new to this.
    >
    > Also killing "from the terminal top" means what?

    Open a terminal or console, type top and hit enter.
    Now you get a list with running applications.
    When you see the offending one you note the PID number in front of it
    and hit k and enter the PID number.

    h or ? will give you help.

    > Is there a page which can help me more on this. Google was not my friend
    > today when I tried it.
    > Thanks again
    > David

  5. Re: crashed application

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:23:10 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > david schreef:

    >>> Ctrl+Alt+Esc above a window will kill that application.
    >>>
    >>> Ctrl+Alt+BkSp will restart the desktop
    >>>
    >>> In Kubuntu (KDE) Ctrl+Esc will start the Process Table where you can
    >>> seelct the application you want to kill.
    >>>
    >>> Optional you could start from the terminal 'top' and select the
    >>> application to kill.

    >> Hi Dirk,
    >> Thanks for this.
    >>
    >> Just tried this and ctrl+alt+BkSP did force a restart of my system but
    >> not sure what you mean by "above a window" for the ctrl+alt+esc
    >> command.

    > Hmm, maybe it's KDE only. I'm not sure but thought it was X specific.
    > What it means is you kep the mouse cursor above the window of the stuck
    > application and kill it by Ctrl+Alt+Esc followed by Enter. I should have
    > included that 'followed by Enter'...
    >>
    >> I tried on a couple of live apps but they kept running. Sorry if this
    >> sounds a basic question but new to this.
    >>
    >> Also killing "from the terminal top" means what?

    > Open a terminal or console, type top and hit enter. Now you get a list
    > with running applications. When you see the offending one you note the
    > PID number in front of it and hit k and enter the PID number.
    >
    > h or ? will give you help.
    >>
    >> Is there a page which can help me more on this. Google was not my
    >> friend today when I tried it.
    >> Thanks again
    >> David

    Thanks again Dirk.
    A little more research on my part and I now believe ctlr+alt+esc works
    for KDE but not Gnome. Can't find a Gnome alternative. Anyone else know
    of one??

    Tried "top" and after a little learning curve got it to do what I want.
    Sadly not as easy as windows task manager but there again Linux is much
    more stable so hardly ever needed.

    Thanks again for your help
    Dave

  6. Re: crashed application

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:35:22 +0000, david wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:23:10 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> david schreef:

    >>> Hi Dirk,
    >>> Thanks for this.
    >>>
    >>> Just tried this and ctrl+alt+BkSP did force a restart of my system but
    >>> not sure what you mean by "above a window" for the ctrl+alt+esc
    >>> command.

    >> Hmm, maybe it's KDE only. I'm not sure but thought it was X specific.
    >> What it means is you kep the mouse cursor above the window of the stuck
    >> application and kill it by Ctrl+Alt+Esc followed by Enter. I should
    >> have included that 'followed by Enter'...
    >>>
    >>> I tried on a couple of live apps but they kept running. Sorry if this
    >>> sounds a basic question but new to this.
    >>>
    >>> Also killing "from the terminal top" means what?

    >> Open a terminal or console, type top and hit enter. Now you get a list
    >> with running applications. When you see the offending one you note the
    >> PID number in front of it and hit k and enter the PID number.
    >>
    >> h or ? will give you help.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a page which can help me more on this. Google was not my
    >>> friend today when I tried it.
    >>> Thanks again
    >>> David
    >>>

    > Thanks again Dirk.
    > A little more research on my part and I now believe ctlr+alt+esc works
    > for KDE but not Gnome. Can't find a Gnome alternative. Anyone else know
    > of one??
    >
    > Tried "top" and after a little learning curve got it to do what I want.
    > Sadly not as easy as windows task manager but there again Linux is much
    > more stable so hardly ever needed.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help
    > Dave

    And just for the archives...
    Found that running "xkill" will give me a mouse pointer that when placed
    on the errant application and pressing "enter" will kill it.

  7. Re: crashed application

    david wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:23:10 +0000, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> david schreef:

    >>> Hi Dirk,
    >>> Thanks for this.
    >>>
    >>> Just tried this and ctrl+alt+BkSP did force a restart of my system but
    >>> not sure what you mean by "above a window" for the ctrl+alt+esc
    >>> command.

    >> Hmm, maybe it's KDE only. I'm not sure but thought it was X specific.
    >> What it means is you kep the mouse cursor above the window of the stuck
    >> application and kill it by Ctrl+Alt+Esc followed by Enter. I should have
    >> included that 'followed by Enter'...
    >>>
    >>> I tried on a couple of live apps but they kept running. Sorry if this
    >>> sounds a basic question but new to this.
    >>>
    >>> Also killing "from the terminal top" means what?

    >> Open a terminal or console, type top and hit enter. Now you get a list
    >> with running applications. When you see the offending one you note the
    >> PID number in front of it and hit k and enter the PID number.
    >>
    >> h or ? will give you help.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a page which can help me more on this. Google was not my
    >>> friend today when I tried it.
    >>> Thanks again
    >>> David
    >>>

    > Thanks again Dirk.
    > A little more research on my part and I now believe ctlr+alt+esc works
    > for KDE but not Gnome. Can't find a Gnome alternative. Anyone else know
    > of one??

    You can Right Click on an empty part of the top panel, then click on Add to
    Panel. Under the section Desktop & Windows, choose Force Quit. This will
    place this app on the panel. To kill an app running on a window on your
    desktop, click the icon on the panel and then click on the window to kill
    that window.

    Another option is to open a terminal and then use the command:

    killall

    in the example you've given the command would probably be:

    killall freeguide

    .... if the app you're running and want to kill is called "freeguide".
    This is convenient if you don't know the PID number for the app, but know
    the app's name.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  8. Re: crashed application

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:57:38 +0000, david wrote:

    > Had my first crash on Gutsy today. Prog was FreeGuide.
    >
    > It came as a surprise after using Ubuntu for so long without such
    > behaviour.
    >
    > I had 5 workspaces open at the time and it would have been great to
    > close the errant one down and keep the others. But it refused to go.
    >
    > Is there a keystroke sequence for getting out of a crashed programme
    > without a total shut down. Something like ctl+alt+del in windows?
    >

    > Thanks

    I would go to another terminal window, do 'ps -ef' and locate the PID of
    the offending program and then 'kill -KILL nnnnn' where nnnnn is PID from
    above.

  9. Re: crashed application

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > david wrote:

    >>> Hmm, maybe it's KDE only. I'm not sure but thought it was X specific.
    >>> What it means is you kep the mouse cursor above the window of the stuck
    >>> application and kill it by Ctrl+Alt+Esc followed by Enter. I should have
    >>> included that 'followed by Enter'...

    >>> Open a terminal or console, type top and hit enter. Now you get a list
    >>> with running applications. When you see the offending one you note the
    >>> PID number in front of it and hit k and enter the PID number.
    >>>
    >>> h or ? will give you help.

    >> Thanks again Dirk.
    >> A little more research on my part and I now believe ctlr+alt+esc works
    >> for KDE but not Gnome. Can't find a Gnome alternative. Anyone else know
    >> of one??
    >>

    > You can Right Click on an empty part of the top panel, then click on Add
    > Panel. Under the section Desktop & Windows, choose Force Quit. This will
    > place this app on the panel. To kill an app running on a window on your
    > desktop, click the icon on the panel and then click on the window to kill
    > that window.
    >
    > Another option is to open a terminal and then use the command:
    >
    > killall
    >
    > in the example you've given the command would probably be:
    >
    > killall freeguide
    >
    > ... if the app you're running and want to kill is called "freeguide".
    > This is convenient if you don't know the PID number for the app, but know
    > the app's name.

    Hi NoStop,
    Thanks for the info.
    Have done as you say and set-up ForceQuit .
    Although the original prob was on my main PC running the very fine Gutsy, I
    have another machine running Hardy (updated alpha) and when I had a crash a
    few minutes ago (a screensaver...can't remember which one and I'm currently
    downloading about 36 updates for Hardy at the minute so can't investigate) I
    tried ForceQuit but even the mouse had frozen so no chance to place the
    cursor anywhere. That's why I still prefer a keyboard only solution.

    Which brings me nicely to your suggestion of killall.
    I'll try that but have also been advised to use xkill. What's the
    difference?
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave

  10. Re: crashed application

    "White Spirit" wrote in message
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Another option is to open a terminal and then use the command:

    >> killall

    >> in the example you've given the command would probably be:

    >> killall freeguide

    >> ... if the app you're running and want to kill is called "freeguide".
    >> This is convenient if you don't know the PID number for the app, but know
    >> the app's name.

    > This won't work with applications that won't respond to signal 11, though.
    > I suppose there must be an option to send signal 9 with killall. I just
    > use something like ps -A | grep $_Application, and then kill -s 9 $_pid.
    >
    >>> Tried "top" and after a little learning curve got it to do what I want.
    >>> Sadly not as easy as windows task manager but there again Linux is much
    >>> more stable so hardly ever needed.

    > There are KDE, Gnome and generic X equivalents available.

    Hi,
    Do you mean there are GUI versions/equivs in which case can you elaborate
    some more.
    Thanks
    Dave

  11. Re: crashed application

    David wrote:
    > "White Spirit" wrote in message
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another option is to open a terminal and then use the command:

    >>> killall

    >>> in the example you've given the command would probably be:

    >>> killall freeguide

    >>> ... if the app you're running and want to kill is called "freeguide".
    >>> This is convenient if you don't know the PID number for the app, but know
    >>> the app's name.

    >> This won't work with applications that won't respond to signal 11, though.
    >> I suppose there must be an option to send signal 9 with killall. I just
    >> use something like ps -A | grep $_Application, and then kill -s 9 $_pid.

    >> There are KDE, Gnome and generic X equivalents available.

    > Hi,
    > Do you mean there are GUI versions/equivs in which case can you elaborate
    > some more.
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    gnome-system-monitor is a lot like task mangler in Windows.

  12. Re: crashed application

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:12:03 -0700, clay wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >> "White Spirit" wrote in message

    >>> This won't work with applications that won't respond to signal 11,
    >>> though. I suppose there must be an option to send signal 9 with
    >>> killall. I just use something like ps -A | grep $_Application, and
    >>> then kill -s 9 $_pid.

    >>> There are KDE, Gnome and generic X equivalents available.

    >> Hi,
    >> Do you mean there are GUI versions/equivs in which case can you
    >> elaborate some more.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dave
    >>

    > gnome-system-monitor is a lot like task mangler in Windows.

    Yes, don't know why I forgot about this. Thanks Clay.

  13. Re: crashed application

    david schreef:

    > And just for the archives...
    > Found that running "xkill" will give me a mouse pointer that when placed
    > on the errant application and pressing "enter" will kill it.

    Heh, that's a good one.

    An easier version of top that can be found in the repositories is htop.
    Still not a real GUI but therefore more robust.

+ Reply to Thread