Newbie help please - kernel version - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie help please - kernel version - Ubuntu ; I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile for kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. Newbie help please - kernel version

    I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile for
    kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes it
    obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic question,
    expect more from me if I make progress

    TIA

    Mike H

  2. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H wrote:
    > I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    > connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile
    > for kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?

    uname -r
    would say "2.4." or "2.6."

    Most likely, you'll need the 2.6 Makefile.

    > System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

    You'll *definitely* need the 2.6 makefile.

    > I'm sure that makes
    > it obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic
    > question, expect more from me if I make progress

    No problem.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H wrote thus:
    > I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    > connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile for
    > kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    > System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes it
    > obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic question,
    > expect more from me if I make progress

    Open a console and type "uname -a"

    --
    Steve

    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
    - Dave Barry

  4. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:58:51 -0400, mimus wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:39:21 +0100, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Mike H wrote thus:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    >>> connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose
    >>> Makefile for kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    >>> System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes
    >>> it obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic
    >>> question, expect more from me if I make progress

    >> Open a console and type "uname -a"

    > I fished around with "man -k" for _an hour_ t'other night trying to find
    > that (I knew it at one point but had forgotten it again, and didn't want
    > to wimp out and go to the Web for the answer, since I Knew It Was In
    > There Somewhere, Dammit).
    >
    > _Finally_ did find it, and "uname -a" is now in my little personal
    > text-file guide to bash, TYVM.
    >
    > I vote we rename or set up an alias for it like "os" or "os-info".
    >
    > Intuitive, people, intuitive!

    A little section of 'notes' is a good thing. I filled one and a half steno
    books with notes after I started with Ultrix until I retired about 13
    years later (by then I had moved to Tru64 Unix and finally RH Linux). I
    now keep a 'notes' directory with various tidbits logged for just such
    occassions. Unfortunately, what is 'intuitive' to one is not necessarily
    intuitive to another; e.g. 'ls' 'mv' 'cp' . . .

  5. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:39:21 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > Mike H wrote thus:
    >
    >> I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    >> connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose
    >> Makefile for kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    >> System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes
    >> it obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic
    >> question, expect more from me if I make progress

    > Open a console and type "uname -a"

    I fished around with "man -k" for _an hour_ t'other night trying to find
    that (I knew it at one point but had forgotten it again, and didn't want
    to wimp out and go to the Web for the answer, since I Knew It Was In There
    Somewhere, Dammit).

    _Finally_ did find it, and "uname -a" is now in my little personal
    text-file guide to bash, TYVM.

    I vote we rename or set up an alias for it like "os" or "os-info".

    Intuitive, people, intuitive!

    --

    Usenet: The Biggest and Oldest and Most Powerful Net-Forum of All!

  6. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 19:44:16 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:58:51 -0400, mimus wrote:

    >>> Open a console and type "uname -a"

    >> I fished around with "man -k" for _an hour_ t'other night trying to find
    >> that (I knew it at one point but had forgotten it again, and didn't want
    >> to wimp out and go to the Web for the answer, since I Knew It Was In
    >> There Somewhere, Dammit).
    >>
    >> _Finally_ did find it, and "uname -a" is now in my little personal
    >> text-file guide to bash, TYVM.
    >>
    >> I vote we rename or set up an alias for it like "os" or "os-info".
    >>
    >> Intuitive, people, intuitive!

    > A little section of 'notes' is a good thing. I filled one and a half steno
    > books with notes after I started with Ultrix until I retired about 13
    > years later (by then I had moved to Tru64 Unix and finally RH Linux). I
    > now keep a 'notes' directory with various tidbits logged for just such
    > occassions. Unfortunately, what is 'intuitive' to one is not necessarily
    > intuitive to another; e.g. 'ls' 'mv' 'cp' . . .

    "mv" ("move(-file)") isn't too bad-- until you realize after looking for
    "(file-)rename" that "mv" is that one, too . . . .

    "cat" is maybe the worst offender-- let's call it "print" or "file-print",
    shall we? with that totally-cool file-concatenation ability built in?

    --

    This is a feature, not a bug.

    < The fetchmail FAQ

  7. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:39:21 +0100, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Mike H wrote thus:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    >>> connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose
    >>> Makefile for kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    >>> System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes
    >>> it obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic
    >>> question, expect more from me if I make progress

    >> Open a console and type "uname -a"

    >I fished around with "man -k" for _an hour_ t'other night trying to find
    >that (I knew it at one point but had forgotten it again, and didn't want
    >to wimp out and go to the Web for the answer, since I Knew It Was In There
    >Somewhere, Dammit).
    >
    >_Finally_ did find it, and "uname -a" is now in my little personal
    >text-file guide to bash, TYVM.
    >
    >I vote we rename or set up an alias for it like "os" or "os-info".
    >
    >Intuitive, people, intuitive!

    try linuxinfo )

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  8. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Roy Strachan" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:58:51 -0400, mimus
    > wrote:

    >>> Open a console and type "uname -a"

    >>I fished around with "man -k" for _an hour_ t'other night trying to find
    >>that (I knew it at one point but had forgotten it again, and didn't want
    >>to wimp out and go to the Web for the answer, since I Knew It Was In There
    >>Somewhere, Dammit).
    >>
    >>_Finally_ did find it, and "uname -a" is now in my little personal
    >>text-file guide to bash, TYVM.
    >>
    >>I vote we rename or set up an alias for it like "os" or "os-info".
    >>
    >>Intuitive, people, intuitive!

    > try linuxinfo )
    >
    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Thanks to all, that step is out of the way now, but as expected I need to
    led every step of the way. I followed:
    go to 'STA/Module' directory
    run 'cp Makefile.6 Makefile'
    I even understood what it did!

    then all went wrong on
    $make all

    I got this:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/mike/RT73
    wireless usb/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `wireless'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    mike@Ubuntu:~/RT73 wireless usb/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module$

    I expect that makes it obvious, but sorry not to me ... yet.
    Anyone willing to guide me please
    Mike H

  9. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Please please can any help me with the above, or is there a wireless that
    works straight out of the box like Windoze. Without getting a connection
    there's little use for the pc.

  10. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    > connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile for
    > kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    > System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes it
    > obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic question,
    > expect more from me if I make progress

    Why do you need to configure a driver?

    Which card have you got?

    There is plenty of help it there if you know where to look.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    >> connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile
    >> for
    >> kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    >> System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes it
    >> obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic question,
    >> expect more from me if I make progress

    > Why do you need to configure a driver?
    >
    > Which card have you got?
    >
    > There is plenty of help it there if you know where to look.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    It's a usb wireless dongle from Edimax, it came with a cd with Debian
    drivers. I tried this and two other makes on the Ubuntu pc but none worked
    without setting up drivers. That's my problem, I have to learn how to work
    it all from scratch, previously only used Windoze and DOS.

    Mike H

  12. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I'm trying to work through the instructions to install a usb wireless
    >>> connection, and in the readme file it tells me I need to choose Makefile
    >>> for
    >>> kernel 2.4 or 2.6. How or where do I find which I have?
    >>> System/About Ubuntu says I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I'm sure that makes it
    >>> obvious but not to a raw beginner, sorry to ask such a basic question,
    >>> expect more from me if I make progress

    >> Why do you need to configure a driver?
    >>
    >> Which card have you got?
    >>
    >> There is plenty of help it there if you know where to look.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > It's a usb wireless dongle from Edimax, it came with a cd with Debian
    > drivers. I tried this and two other makes on the Ubuntu pc but none worked
    > without setting up drivers. That's my problem, I have to learn how to work
    > it all from scratch, previously only used Windoze and DOS.
    >
    > Mike H

    Hi Mike,

    Well, I cannot guarantee this, but Edimax Kit is being sold here as
    Ubuntu compatible.

    First off, we need to find out the chipset. Plug it into your ubuntu
    box. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and
    type the following
    $ sudo lsusb

    Copy and paste the output here.

    I'm hoping this is a RAlink chipset (which is usually what Edimax
    use). If it is, then it does work (or can be prodded into life)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> Why do you need to configure a driver?
    >>>
    >>> Which card have you got?
    >>>
    >>> There is plenty of help it there if you know where to look.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> It's a usb wireless dongle from Edimax, it came with a cd with Debian
    >> drivers. I tried this and two other makes on the Ubuntu pc but none
    >> worked
    >> without setting up drivers. That's my problem, I have to learn how to
    >> work
    >> it all from scratch, previously only used Windoze and DOS.
    >>
    >> Mike H

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Well, I cannot guarantee this, but Edimax Kit is being sold here as
    > Ubuntu compatible.
    >
    > First off, we need to find out the chipset. Plug it into your ubuntu
    > box. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and
    > type the following
    > $ sudo lsusb
    >
    > Copy and paste the output here.
    >
    > I'm hoping this is a RAlink chipset (which is usually what Edimax
    > use). If it is, then it does work (or can be prodded into life)
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Yes I have:
    Bus 005 Device 005: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    Thanks for your interest, this looks promising
    Mike

  14. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> "Moog" wrote in message

    >>> It's a usb wireless dongle from Edimax, it came with a cd with Debian
    >>> drivers. I tried this and two other makes on the Ubuntu pc but none
    >>> worked
    >>> without setting up drivers. That's my problem, I have to learn how to
    >>> work
    >>> it all from scratch, previously only used Windoze and DOS.
    >>>
    >>> Mike H

    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Well, I cannot guarantee this, but Edimax Kit is being sold here as
    >> Ubuntu compatible.
    >>
    >> First off, we need to find out the chipset. Plug it into your ubuntu
    >> box. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and
    >> type the following
    >> $ sudo lsusb
    >>
    >> Copy and paste the output here.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping this is a RAlink chipset (which is usually what Edimax
    >> use). If it is, then it does work (or can be prodded into life)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > Yes I have:
    > Bus 005 Device 005: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    > Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    > Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > Thanks for your interest, this looks promising
    > Mike

    OK. There's some good news, and some bad news.

    The GOOD news is that you do not need to do anything. The chipset is
    supported straight out of the box. (I'm hoping nothing you have done
    previously that has changed this).

    The BAD news is that it doesn't appear to handle WPA encryption (I'm
    hoping you have this on your router) without a tweak.

    There is some superb community documentation here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/RalinkRT2500

    In essence, you need to read through that and pay special attention to
    the WPA section.

    You only need to edit your /etc/network/interfaces file as described
    in the link above and you should be able to connect you your Wireless
    Access Point.

    HTH

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    : DOS.

    :-D

  16. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Hi Mike,
    >>>
    >>> Well, I cannot guarantee this, but Edimax Kit is being sold here as
    >>> Ubuntu compatible.
    >>>
    >>> First off, we need to find out the chipset. Plug it into your ubuntu
    >>> box. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and
    >>> type the following
    >>> $ sudo lsusb
    >>>
    >>> Copy and paste the output here.
    >>>
    >>> I'm hoping this is a RAlink chipset (which is usually what Edimax
    >>> use). If it is, then it does work (or can be prodded into life)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> Yes I have:
    >> Bus 005 Device 005: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    >> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    >> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    >> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >>
    >> Thanks for your interest, this looks promising
    >> Mike

    > OK. There's some good news, and some bad news.
    >
    > The GOOD news is that you do not need to do anything. The chipset is
    > supported straight out of the box. (I'm hoping nothing you have done
    > previously that has changed this).
    >
    > The BAD news is that it doesn't appear to handle WPA encryption (I'm
    > hoping you have this on your router) without a tweak.
    >
    > There is some superb community documentation here
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/RalinkRT2500
    >
    > In essence, you need to read through that and pay special attention to
    > the WPA section.
    >
    > You only need to edit your /etc/network/interfaces file as described
    > in the link above and you should be able to connect you your Wireless
    > Access Point.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Thanks. Followed those notes, added the WPA bit, now on sudo ifup I get:

    ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    Failed to bring up ra0

    Any rules on where in the file to add the stanza? I added it at the end.

    MH

  17. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Thanks. Followed those notes, added the WPA bit, now on sudo ifup I get:
    >
    > ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    > Failed to bring up ra0
    >
    > Any rules on where in the file to add the stanza? I added it at the end.
    >
    > MH

    Mike, post your /etc/network/interfaces file and I'll take a look.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  18. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Thanks. Followed those notes, added the WPA bit, now on sudo ifup I get:
    >>
    >> ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    >> Failed to bring up ra0
    >>
    >> Any rules on where in the file to add the stanza? I added it at the end.
    >>
    >> MH

    > Mike, post your /etc/network/interfaces file and I'll take a look.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Here's the whole file:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-ssid RadioTimes

    iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk 4f5a9207009d2670276746343d711d49d4c8e5cf9294686069 4f1849a51a3103
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto WPA2
    wpa-ssid RadioTimes

    auto wlan1

    auto ra0
    iface ra0 inet dhcp
    pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid RadioTimes
    pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set
    WPAPSK=a4439507995eb7301e0ce40a0f82f43e64bd3d50c6c 7858dca44046375f1c4f9
    pre-up ifconfig ra0 up

  19. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Thanks. Followed those notes, added the WPA bit, now on sudo ifup I get:
    >>>
    >>> ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    >>> Failed to bring up ra0
    >>>
    >>> Any rules on where in the file to add the stanza? I added it at the end.
    >>>
    >>> MH

    >> Mike, post your /etc/network/interfaces file and I'll take a look.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > Here's the whole file:
    >
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >

    > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    > wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    > wpa-driver wext
    > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > wpa-proto WPA
    > wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >

    > iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    > wpa-psk 4f5a9207009d2670276746343d711d49d4c8e5cf9294686069 4f1849a51a3103
    > wpa-driver wext
    > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > wpa-proto WPA2
    > wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >

    > auto wlan1
    >

    > auto ra0
    > iface ra0 inet dhcp
    > pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    > pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    > pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    > pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    > pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid RadioTimes
    > pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set
    > WPAPSK=a4439507995eb7301e0ce40a0f82f43e64bd3d50c6c 7858dca44046375f1c4f9
    > pre-up ifconfig ra0 up

    You've got two wireless interfaces. wlan0 and ra0 in there. Which is
    why it won't work.

    Can you list the output of

    $ sudo lshw -C network

    This will tell us the name of the active wireless connection plus a
    few other bits and pieces. It seems like you may well have tried
    another solution before this.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  20. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Mike, post your /etc/network/interfaces file and I'll take a look.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> Here's the whole file:
    >>
    >> auto lo
    >> iface lo inet loopback
    >>

    >> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    >> wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    >> wpa-driver wext
    >> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    >> wpa-proto WPA
    >> wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >>

    >> iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    >> wpa-psk 4f5a9207009d2670276746343d711d49d4c8e5cf9294686069 4f1849a51a3103
    >> wpa-driver wext
    >> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    >> wpa-proto WPA2
    >> wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >>

    >> auto wlan1
    >>

    >> auto ra0
    >> iface ra0 inet dhcp
    >> pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    >> pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    >> pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
    >> pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
    >> pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid RadioTimes
    >> pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
    >> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    >> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    >> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set
    >> WPAPSK=a4439507995eb7301e0ce40a0f82f43e64bd3d50c6c 7858dca44046375f1c4f9
    >> pre-up ifconfig ra0 up

    > You've got two wireless interfaces. wlan0 and ra0 in there. Which is
    > why it won't work.
    >
    > Can you list the output of
    >
    > $ sudo lshw -C network
    >
    > This will tell us the name of the active wireless connection plus a
    > few other bits and pieces. It seems like you may well have tried
    > another solution before this.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    here it is, that one made even less sense, I admit I have a lot to learn:

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for mike:
    *-network
    product: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) integrated LAN Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:16:e6:54:86:2a
    size: 10MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
    10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
    driverversion=3.5.17-k4-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=64 link=no
    maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
    *-network DISABLED
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    MH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast