Newbie help please - kernel version - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie help please - kernel version - Ubuntu ; Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > > *-network DISABLED > description: Wireless interface > physical id: 1 > logical name: wlan0 > serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92 > capabilities: ethernet physical wireless > configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g Right Mike, that's the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

  1. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > *-network DISABLED
    > physical id: 1
    > logical name: wlan0
    > serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    > capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    > configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    Right Mike, that's the bit we're looking for.

    It seems to me like you've done something previously. Have you enabled
    another driver or followed any other instructions that may have
    flagged wlan0 as disabled?

    I'm going to go back to the post where you included the network
    interface and see if I can edit it to get it in a working state for
    you.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  2. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    Mike,

    Try and cut out all of your interfaces file barring this (or c&p this
    into it)

    $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

    #### Edited /etc/network/interfaces file

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-ssid RadioTimes

    auto wlan0

    #### End of Edited file

    What we've done here is make wlan0 (the interface active in your
    kernel) the only interface on the machines interface file.

    You'll then need to save this and restart networking
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

    From there, check the output of
    $ sudo lshw -C network

    If there is a "disabled" again, please post here.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    > Mike,
    >
    > Try and cut out all of your interfaces file barring this (or c&p this
    > into it)
    >
    > $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > #### Edited /etc/network/interfaces file
    >
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    > wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    > wpa-driver wext
    > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > wpa-proto WPA
    > wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >
    > auto wlan0
    >
    > #### End of Edited file
    >
    > What we've done here is make wlan0 (the interface active in your
    > kernel) the only interface on the machines interface file.
    >
    > You'll then need to save this and restart networking
    > $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    >
    > From there, check the output of
    > $ sudo lshw -C network
    >
    > If there is a "disabled" again, please post here.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Sorry for the delay, UK Sunday dinner.
    I saved the old interface file under another name and replaced it with the
    above .
    This led to:
    ike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid with pid 5894
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available
    Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - There is already a pid file
    /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid with pid 134519120
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No buffer space available
    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
    send_packet: Network is down
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

    and then this:
    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    product: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) integrated LAN Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:16:e6:54:86:2a
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
    10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
    driverversion=3.5.17-k4-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.116
    latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
    port=MII speed=100MB/s
    *-network DISABLED
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    Yes I did try to get the other usb sticks going before with no luck so it's
    probably something I did. Is there a way to reset everything to a new
    install status?
    MH

  4. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> Try and cut out all of your interfaces file barring this (or c&p this
    >> into it)
    >>
    >> $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    >>
    >> #### Edited /etc/network/interfaces file
    >>
    >> auto lo
    >> iface lo inet loopback
    >>
    >> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    >> wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    >> wpa-driver wext
    >> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    >> wpa-proto WPA
    >> wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >>
    >> auto wlan0
    >>
    >> #### End of Edited file

    > Yes I did try to get the other usb sticks going before with no luck so it's
    > probably something I did. Is there a way to reset everything to a new
    > install status?
    > MH

    Could be worth changing all copies of wlan0 to ra0 in the interfaces
    file as listed above. Make sure you change the one after "auto" too.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>

    >>> Mike,
    >>>
    >>> Try and cut out all of your interfaces file barring this (or c&p this
    >>> into it)
    >>>
    >>> $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    >>>
    >>> #### Edited /etc/network/interfaces file
    >>>
    >>> auto lo
    >>> iface lo inet loopback
    >>>
    >>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    >>> wpa-psk ea9d6af4e70dde12470489c9a7b0f79057a5cf3ea8c5c2a65c be03797c2330a2
    >>> wpa-driver wext
    >>> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    >>> wpa-proto WPA
    >>> wpa-ssid RadioTimes
    >>>
    >>> auto wlan0
    >>>
    >>> #### End of Edited file

    >> Yes I did try to get the other usb sticks going before with no luck so
    >> it's
    >> probably something I did. Is there a way to reset everything to a new
    >> install status?
    >> MH
    >>

    > Could be worth changing all copies of wlan0 to ra0 in the interfaces
    > file as listed above. Make sure you change the one after "auto" too.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Thanks for your patience Moog, I hope Ubuntu gets easier than this :-)
    I tried wlan0 --> ra0 and got this:

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    Ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0.
    ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
    Could not configure driver to use managed mode
    ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
    Could not set interface 'ra0' UP
    ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
    WEXT auth param 7 value 0x0 - Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
    WEXT auth param 5 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: No such device
    WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
    wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
    run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Bind socket to interface: No such device
    Failed to bring up ra0.
    [
    OK ]
    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    product: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) integrated LAN Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:16:e6:54:86:2a
    size: 10MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
    10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
    driverversion=3.5.17-k4-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=64 link=no
    maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
    *-network DISABLED
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

  6. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > *-network DISABLED
    > physical id: 1
    > logical name: wlan0
    > serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    > capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    > configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    OK. Go back and rename to wlan0

    We'll need to go into network manager

    $ network-admin

    I'm thinking the tick box for "enable this connection" in wlan0 in
    there is not selected.

    Put a tick in the box and see if that has any effect.

    One other command that may be useful is
    $ ifconfig

    Post the output of that if there's no success.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> *-network DISABLED
    >> physical id: 1
    >> logical name: wlan0
    >> serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    >> capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    >> configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    > OK. Go back and rename to wlan0
    >
    > We'll need to go into network manager
    >
    > $ network-admin
    >
    > I'm thinking the tick box for "enable this connection" in wlan0 in
    > there is not selected.
    >
    > Put a tick in the box and see if that has any effect.
    >
    > One other command that may be useful is
    > $ ifconfig
    >
    > Post the output of that if there's no success.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    ra0 changed to wlan0,
    network-admin is ticked = enable roaming mode

    still no connection, is it gettin near time to swear yet?

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:54:86:2A
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    MH

  8. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> *-network DISABLED
    >>> physical id: 1
    >>> logical name: wlan0
    >>> serial: 00:0e:2e:88:b6:92
    >>> capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    >>> configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

    >> OK. Go back and rename to wlan0
    >>
    >> We'll need to go into network manager
    >>
    >> $ network-admin
    >>
    >> I'm thinking the tick box for "enable this connection" in wlan0 in
    >> there is not selected.
    >>
    >> Put a tick in the box and see if that has any effect.
    >>
    >> One other command that may be useful is
    >> $ ifconfig
    >>
    >> Post the output of that if there's no success.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > ra0 changed to wlan0,
    > network-admin is ticked = enable roaming mode
    >
    > still no connection, is it gettin near time to swear yet?

    Untick roaming mode.

    What we want to do is to enable wlan0.

    It is getting close to swearing. I think something you have previosuly
    done may have borked the networking configurations.

    I'm not quite sure how to get it back to vanilla.

    Anyway. Roaming mode is not really required in this instance. What we
    want to do is connect to one particular network. Once we get that done,
    we can then run through how to set up netwokr locations. Roaming mode
    doesn't adequately allow for encryption either.

    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> OK. Go back and rename to wlan0
    >>>
    >>> We'll need to go into network manager
    >>>
    >>> $ network-admin
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking the tick box for "enable this connection" in wlan0 in
    >>> there is not selected.
    >>>
    >>> Put a tick in the box and see if that has any effect.
    >>>
    >>> One other command that may be useful is
    >>> $ ifconfig
    >>>
    >>> Post the output of that if there's no success.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> ra0 changed to wlan0,
    >> network-admin is ticked = enable roaming mode
    >>
    >> still no connection, is it gettin near time to swear yet?

    > Untick roaming mode.
    >
    > What we want to do is to enable wlan0.
    >
    > It is getting close to swearing. I think something you have previosuly
    > done may have borked the networking configurations.
    >
    > I'm not quite sure how to get it back to vanilla.
    >
    > Anyway. Roaming mode is not really required in this instance. What we
    > want to do is connect to one particular network. Once we get that done,
    > we can then run through how to set up netwokr locations. Roaming mode
    > doesn't adequately allow for encryption either.

    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Done. I rebooted and found it lost the password. Does the password have to
    be entered in hex in this window?

    MH

  10. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Done. I rebooted and found it lost the password. Does the password have to
    > be entered in hex in this window?

    That would help, but I think you can also enter the WPA passphrase too.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Done. I rebooted and found it lost the password. Does the password have
    >> be entered in hex in this window?

    > That would help, but I think you can also enter the WPA passphrase too.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Added as a hex line, no change.
    I think I've run out of swearwords for today, very grateful for your help,
    taking a break now. Hope we can continue tomorrow?
    Many thanks Moog

    Mike H

  12. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Done. I rebooted and found it lost the password. Does the password have
    >>> be entered in hex in this window?

    >> That would help, but I think you can also enter the WPA passphrase too.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > Added as a hex line, no change.
    > I think I've run out of swearwords for today, very grateful for your help,
    > taking a break now. Hope we can continue tomorrow?
    > Many thanks Moog

    Just before you go....

    Post the output of

    $ ifconfig
    again.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> That would help, but I think you can also enter the WPA passphrase too.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> Added as a hex line, no change.
    >> I think I've run out of swearwords for today, very grateful for your
    >> help,
    >> taking a break now. Hope we can continue tomorrow?
    >> Many thanks Moog

    > Just before you go....
    >
    > Post the output of
    >
    > $ ifconfig
    > again.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Here it is:

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:54:86:2A
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

  14. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Added as a hex line, no change.
    >>> I think I've run out of swearwords for today, very grateful for your
    >>> help,
    >>> taking a break now. Hope we can continue tomorrow?
    >>> Many thanks Moog

    >> Just before you go....
    >>
    >> Post the output of
    >>
    >> $ ifconfig
    >> again.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > Here it is:
    >
    > mike@Ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:54:86:2A
    > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    >
    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    We've still got no joy.

    I'm seemingly going round in circles here, but I want to know what
    card you have again.

    $ lsusb
    Post the output please

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Just before you go....
    >>>
    >>> Post the output of
    >>>
    >>> $ ifconfig
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> Here it is:
    >>
    >> mike@Ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    >> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:54:86:2A
    >> UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    >>
    >> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    >> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    >> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    >> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    >> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    > We've still got no joy.
    >
    > I'm seemingly going round in circles here, but I want to know what
    > card you have again.
    >
    > $ lsusb
    > Post the output please
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    You caught me within seconds of switchin off, the Ubuntu pc was already off.
    Here's the output:

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    mike@Ubuntu:~$

    I'm off to bed this time, thanks for your efforts Moog

    MH

  16. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Here it is:
    >>>
    >>> mike@Ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    >>> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:54:86:2A
    >>> UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >>> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >>> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >>> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >>> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    >>>
    >>> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    >>> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    >>> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    >>> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    >>> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >>> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >>> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    >>> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    >> We've still got no joy.
    >>
    >> I'm seemingly going round in circles here, but I want to know what
    >> card you have again.
    >>
    >> $ lsusb
    >> Post the output please
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>
    >> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >> mashed potatoes"

    > You caught me within seconds of switchin off, the Ubuntu pc was already off.
    > Here's the output:
    >
    > mike@Ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    > Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    > Bus 005 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    > Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    > mike@Ubuntu:~$
    >

    > I'm off to bed this time, thanks for your efforts Moog

    Good night mike..

    Can you do me a

    $ uname -r
    on your return.
    Thanks.

    The reason?
    There seems to be an issue with ralink chipsets and certain kernels.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/139070

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  17. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> "Moog" wrote in message
    >>> Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> We've still got no joy.
    >>>
    >>> I'm seemingly going round in circles here, but I want to know what
    >>> card you have again.
    >>>
    >>> $ lsusb
    >>> Post the output please
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moog
    >>>
    >>> "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    >>> mashed potatoes"

    >> You caught me within seconds of switchin off, the Ubuntu pc was already
    >> off.
    >> Here's the output:
    >>
    >> mike@Ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    >> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.
    >> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
    >> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    >> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >> mike@Ubuntu:~$
    >>

    >> I'm off to bed this time, thanks for your efforts Moog

    > Good night mike..
    >
    > Can you do me a
    >
    > $ uname -r
    > on your return.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The reason?
    > There seems to be an issue with ralink chipsets and certain kernels.
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/139070
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Good morning sir,
    uname -r gives
    2.6.22-14-generic

    Is there another make/model which might be less troublesome?
    I already have a spare K.Corp usb stick marked model KLS-685, prepared to
    buy another brand if easier too

    MH

  18. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Good morning sir,
    > uname -r gives
    > 2.6.22-14-generic

    Could be an issue in the case.

    > Is there another make/model which might be less troublesome?
    > I already have a spare K.Corp usb stick marked model KLS-685, prepared to
    > buy another brand if easier too

    The Ralink card is supposed to work "straight out of the box".
    However, there can be certain issues with WEP.

    My suggestion, and we've possibly exhausted everything I can help you
    with, is to install Ubuntu again.

    Why?
    There's something amiss with your install (possibly by trying to get
    another dongle working) and I'm confident we can get the ralink
    working from a fresh install.

    Just one cry for help here...

    Anyone know how to strip all networking to fresh before Mike does
    this?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  19. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    One more try Mike,

    A user in the forums has given a possible solution

    Thread here.

    Solution

    $ sudo rm /etc/network/interfaces
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

    Completely removes the interfaces file and then restarts dbus. dbus is
    responislbe for identifiying interfaces amongst some other things.

    Hopefully, this should pick up the ralink chipset in your card.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  20. Re: Newbie help please - kernel version

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Mike H illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    > One more try Mike,
    >
    > A user in the forums has given a possible solution
    >
    > Thread here.
    >
    > Solution
    >
    > $ sudo rm /etc/network/interfaces
    > $ sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    >
    > Completely removes the interfaces file and then restarts dbus. dbus is
    > responislbe for identifiying interfaces amongst some other things.
    >
    > Hopefully, this should pick up the ralink chipset in your card.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    > mashed potatoes"

    Sorry late tonight, I was with a girl in Second Life.
    Tried that and got this:

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo rm /etc/network/interfaces
    [sudo] password for mike:
    mike@Ubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    * Stopping DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd [
    OK ]
    * Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon [
    OK ]
    * Stopping ConsoleKit daemon console-kit-daemon [
    OK ]
    * Stopping Hardware abstraction layer hald [
    OK ]
    * Stopping System Tools Backends system-tools-backends [
    OK ]
    * Stopping network events dispatcher NetworkManagerDispatcher [
    OK ]
    * Stopping network connection manager NetworkManager [
    OK ]
    * Stopping system message bus dbus [
    OK ]
    * Starting system message bus dbus [
    OK ]
    * Starting network connection manager NetworkManager [
    OK ]
    * Starting network events dispatcher NetworkManagerDispatcher [
    OK ]
    * Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends [
    OK ]
    * Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald [
    OK ]
    * Starting ConsoleKit daemon console-kit-daemon [
    OK ]
    * Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon [
    OK ]
    * Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd

    not an error message in sight but still no connection. Is reinstall next?
    Will that rewrite the configs? I will have to copy files to a backup disk
    first.

    Cheers
    MH