    TIA!

    Dilbert

  2. Re: A question and a request

    On 2008-04-07, Dilbert Farb wrote:
    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?

    Grownups know how to use the DELETE button and post right here.

    > And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    > something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    > alert me?
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Dilbert

  3. Re: A question and a request

    Dilbert Farb wrote:
    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?

    Welcome. This is as good a place as any.

    > And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    > something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    > alert me?

    Don't hold your breath. I just kill any thread started by Moshe Goldfarb.

    --
    Dean
    Los Angeles, CA, USA

  4. Re: A question and a request

    Dilbert Farb said:
    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?

    ubuntu-users mailing list
    ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  5. Re: A question and a request

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:18:49 -0500
    Dilbert Farb wrote:

    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?
    >
    > And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    > something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    > alert me?
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Dilbert

    This is why I use claws-mail. My pre and post processing rules make
    sure I do not see garbage.
    Life is good without trolls.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  6. Re: A question and a request

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:51:20 -0700, Dean DeBruin
    wrote:

    >Dilbert Farb wrote:
    >> I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    >> question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    >> discussions?

    >Welcome. This is as good a place as any.
    >
    >> And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    >> something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    >> alert me?

    >Don't hold your breath. I just kill any thread started by Moshe Goldfarb.

    I kill filtered anything xposted to comp.os.linux.advocacy. Cleaned up
    the newsgroup quite nicely.

    And thanks to all for the education.

    Barry
    Barry Jones

  7. Re: A question and a request

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:18:49 -0500, Dilbert Farb wrote:

    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?

    There are still a few here - you just have to wade past the wintrolls.
    Filters do quite a good job.

    > And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    > something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    > alert me?
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Dilbert

  8. Re: A question and a request

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:18:49 -0500, Dilbert Farb wrote:

    > I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    > question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    > discussions?

    Just ignore the children.

    Killfiling crossposts alone should make a profound difference.

    (I wish Google Groups would offer that.)

    > And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    > something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    > alert me?

    Your request has been placed in our high-priority directory .Trash.

    --

    Kill. Kill! KILL!

    < comp.os.linux.misc

    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

  9. Re: A question and a request

    On 2008-04-07, BJ wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:51:20 -0700, Dean DeBruin
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dilbert Farb wrote:
    >>> I'm a new Ubuntu user, having used other distros in the past. My
    >>> question... can anyone tell me where the grownups post Ubuntu
    >>> discussions?

    >>Welcome. This is as good a place as any.
    >>
    >>> And a request... in the unlikely event that Moshe Goldfarb posts
    >>> something that one might actually want to read, could someone please
    >>> alert me?

    >>Don't hold your breath. I just kill any thread started by Moshe Goldfarb.

    > I kill filtered anything xposted to comp.os.linux.advocacy. Cleaned up
    > the newsgroup quite nicely.

    The rule for slrn is:

    %BOS
    % No advocacy in the ubuntu group
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: -866
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    %EOS

    --
    -Toby

  10. Re: A question and a request

    Toby Newman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-04-07, BJ wrote:
    >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:51:20 -0700, Dean DeBruin
    >> wrote:

    >>>Welcome. This is as good a place as any.

    >>>Don't hold your breath. I just kill any thread started by Moshe Goldfarb.

    >> I kill filtered anything xposted to comp.os.linux.advocacy. Cleaned up
    >> the newsgroup quite nicely.

    > The rule for slrn is:
    >
    > %BOS
    > % No advocacy in the ubuntu group
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: -866
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > %EOS

    Similar here.
    %BOS
    % Kill Crappy Advocacy Crossposts
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score:: -9999
    %EOS

    I believe the Xref: header is the preferable method. Can anyone
    explain why?

    Toby. Why the -866 score?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: A question and a request

    On 9 Apr 2008 13:48:58 GMT, Moog wrote:

    > I believe the Xref: header is the preferable method. Can anyone
    > explain why?

    As I mis-understand it, Xref came down as part of the record.
    If you want to score on Newsgroups, it requires another trip to the
    news server to fetch it for scoring.

  12. Re: A question and a request

    Bit Twister illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 9 Apr 2008 13:48:58 GMT, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> I believe the Xref: header is the preferable method. Can anyone
    >> explain why?

    > As I mis-understand it, Xref came down as part of the record.
    > If you want to score on Newsgroups, it requires another trip to the
    > news server to fetch it for scoring.

    Thanks for the BT. That makes perfect sense now.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: A question and a request

    On 2008-04-10, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    >, Toby Newman wrote:
    >>Moog wrote:
    >>> Toby Newman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> % Kill Crappy Advocacy Crossposts
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score:: -9999

    >[*]
    > Score:: =-9999
    >
    >>> I believe the Xref: header is the preferable method. Can anyone
    >>> explain why?

    > Bit already answered this - but there are eight headers automatically
    > retrieved from the news server/spool: 'From:', 'Subject:', 'References:',
    > 'Date:', 'Bytes:', 'Lines:', 'Message-ID:' and 'Xref:'. Any OTHER
    > header _can_ be used for scoring, but requires requesting that header
    > (separately) for every article downloaded.

    See below:

    >>I hide any post with a <0 score.

    > Why bother? Why even download them in the first place? (Using the
    > spooler 'slrnpull', any article with a negative score won't be downloaded
    > so specific negative scores are useless.)

    I run leafnode so the whole group is already downloaded. When I access
    leafnode from slrn I'm actually just moving information within my LAN
    so I'm not sure that optimisation would help me.

    --
    -Toby

  14. Re: A question and a request

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Toby Newman wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Toby Newman wrote:

    >> Bit already answered this - but there are eight headers automatically
    >> retrieved from the news server/spool: 'From:', 'Subject:',
    >> 'References:', 'Date:', 'Bytes:', 'Lines:', 'Message-ID:' and 'Xref:'.
    >> Any OTHER header _can_ be used for scoring, but requires requesting
    >> that header (separately) for every article downloaded.

    >>>I hide any post with a <0 score.

    >> Why bother? Why even download them in the first place? (Using the
    >> spooler 'slrnpull', any article with a negative score won't be
    >> downloaded so specific negative scores are useless.)

    >I run leafnode so the whole group is already downloaded. When I access
    >leafnode from slrn I'm actually just moving information within my LAN
    >so I'm not sure that optimisation would help me.

    As we're talking specifically about comp.os.linux.advocacy, I have
    not seen a single useful post to that group since "noname@noname.com"
    posted "This code will lock up any P5 machine, even usermode Linux!
    (F0 0F C7 C8)" back on Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:57:33 -0800. (If you are
    curious and have an older Pentium, you may see

    Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.

    in /var/log/messages during boot while the kernel is loading.) That's
    over ten years with nothing but noise. Consequently, I'm at the point
    where there is no valid reason to even bother downloading anything
    cross-posted to any advocacy newsgroup. Now once the articles are
    downloaded to the local spool, there is a separate score file that
    filters on the articles for other reasons.

    [compton ~]$ grep -vE '^([%\[ ]|Score|$)' /var/spool/slrnpull/score |
    cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | column
    979 From: 7 References: 2 ~Subject:
    2 Lines: 397 Subject:
    20 Message-ID: 81 Xref:
    [compton ~]$ sed 's/^ *//' score | grep -vE '^([%\[ ]|Score|$)' | cut
    -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | column
    1 Mail-To-News-Contact: 1 User-Agent:
    1 Message-ID: 1 X-Anonymous:
    101 NNTP-Posting-Host: 3 X-Complaints-To:
    1 Newsgroups: 1 X-Mail2News-Contact:
    4 Organization: 4 Xref:
    11 References:
    [compton ~]$

    and the news reader scores are more expensive but are aimed at different
    keys.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread