Weird error in Kmail - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Weird error in Kmail - Ubuntu ; Hi Has anyone come across this error when doing a "check mail in" in kmail? Could not read file Invalid response from server: " http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=3D973597...spId=3D170506= ". The google result for the search "Could not read file Invalid response from server:" ...

  1. Weird error in Kmail

    Hi

    Has anyone come across this error when doing a "check mail in" in kmail?

    Could not read file Invalid response from server:
    "<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=3D973597...spId=3D170506=
    ".

    The google result for the search "Could not read file Invalid
    response from server:" was an archived thread below, so I'm guessing it's
    not a common one!

    http://www.leap-cf.org/oldarchive/20...st/022552.html

    Obviously the text under the error is different in that thread to the one we
    are seeing. Not sure if the fact that ours is a URL is relevant or
    coincidence.

    I do not run a mailserver here, it is happening on my wife's pc which has
    just one mail account (from our ISP) configured in kmail.

    Pop settings are correct and her pc resolves the pop server name correctly.

    My PC also uses kmail and I can receive mail from my account from the ISP
    fine, although my account uses a different cluster.

    Any ideas welcome, tis a weird one.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  2. Re: Weird error in Kmail

    On Monday 07 Apr 2008 01:19 Baldylocks-Ubuntu licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone come across this error when doing a "check mail in" in kmail?
    >
    > Could not read file Invalid response from server:
    > "<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=3D973597...spId=3D170506=
    > ".
    >
    > The google result for the search "Could not read file Invalid
    > response from server:" was an archived thread below, so I'm guessing it's
    > not a common one!
    >
    > http://www.leap-cf.org/oldarchive/20...st/022552.html
    >
    > Obviously the text under the error is different in that thread to the one
    > we are seeing. Not sure if the fact that ours is a URL is relevant or
    > coincidence.
    >
    > I do not run a mailserver here, it is happening on my wife's pc which has
    > just one mail account (from our ISP) configured in kmail.
    >
    > Pop settings are correct and her pc resolves the pop server name
    > correctly.
    >
    > My PC also uses kmail and I can receive mail from my account from the ISP
    > fine, although my account uses a different cluster.
    >
    > Any ideas welcome, tis a weird one.
    >
    > David

    OK, ignore this (if you want). I have fixed it, still not sure why it caused
    a problem, damned html email.

    She had yahoo group settings to html not plain text, I searched for a
    portion of the string in some mail already received and found a load in the
    recent yahoo groups messages - was a reference to an image.

    Using webmail I searched for that string and deleted the 250 odd mails that
    had it in.

    All working ok now. Why it took exception to receiving mail with that string
    in the body I have no idea. Anyway, she has now set yahoo groups to plain
    text

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

+ Reply to Thread