Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy? - Ubuntu ; How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to upgrade?...

  1. Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy
    open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to
    upgrade?

  2. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:16:38 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy
    > open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to
    > upgrade?

    System -> admin -> update manager.

  3. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    ray wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:16:38 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy
    >> open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to
    >> upgrade?

    > System -> admin -> update manager.

    And then what?

  4. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:16:38 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy
    >>> open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to
    >>> upgrade?

    >> System -> admin -> update manager.

    > And then what?

    It should say... 'New distribution release '8.04' is available' and an
    Upgrade button. But I would say that only if it has been released. Which
    it hasn't. But should be sometime this month.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  5. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    > It should say... 'New distribution release '8.04' is available' and an
    > Upgrade button. But I would say that only if it has been released. Which
    > it hasn't. But should be sometime this month.

    OK, my original post was regarding Hardy Beta.

  6. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:05:41 +0100, Cork Soaker
    wrote:

    >> It should say... 'New distribution release '8.04' is available' and an
    >> Upgrade button. But I would say that only if it has been released. Which
    >> it hasn't. But should be sometime this month.
    >>

    >OK, my original post was regarding Hardy Beta.

    You can "do" the update, but when I tried it, it didn't work properly.
    A fresh install of the beta from a CD containing the .iso file is
    advised.

    I agree with another respondent that it's best to wait until the
    official release before trying to do an update-in-place.
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  7. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> It should say... 'New distribution release '8.04' is available' and an
    >> Upgrade button. But I would say that only if it has been released. Which
    >> it hasn't. But should be sometime this month.
    >>

    > OK, my original post was regarding Hardy Beta.

    Guess I should have said the update manager doesn't offer betas' as
    upgrades. I d/l'd the iso and did a fresh install.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  8. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > How do I, if it is possible, start the Hardy install while I have Gutsy
    > open? Or is it not possible? Do I have to boot from the Hardy CD to
    > upgrade?

    Yup. But it's not for everyone as some of the old fuddy-duddies in here
    will point out.

    Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    "hardy".

    Save the file

    Then
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

    Alternatively, (and you'll need to prefix these commands with sudo -
    I've purposefully left it out for obvious reasons)

    $ cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.backup
    $ sed -i 's/gutsy/hardy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get dist-upgrade

    Go and have a cuppa, followed by a shower. You may need to be about
    just to "keep current" for any samba edits (or similar) you may have
    made.

    Then you'll be ready for
    $ sed -i 's/hardy/intrepid/g'
    Oooh. The Intrepid Ibex nears. ;-)

    WARNING: Think twice about this if you have *any* third party
    repositories enabled or you have used something like Automatix2 or
    Envy. You must disable those repositories first and undo any changes
    made by any of the automated script utilities mentioned. IN fact, I'd
    advise you not to upgrade at all in this case. Do a fresh install.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    :
    : Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    : "hardy".
    :
    : Save the file
    :
    : Then
    : $ sudo apt-get update
    : $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
    :

    That's done it. :-)
    A few hours and a minor error later, done! Very nice. :-D

  10. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    On 2008-04-07, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >: Yup. But it's not for everyone as some of the old fuddy-duddies in here
    >: will point out.
    >:
    >: Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    >: "hardy".
    >:
    >: Save the file
    >:
    >: Then
    >: $ sudo apt-get update
    >: $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
    >:
    >
    > That's done it. :-)
    > A few hours and a minor error later, done! Very nice. :-D

    That worked for me also.

  11. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >: Yup. But it's not for everyone as some of the old fuddy-duddies in here
    >: will point out.
    >:
    >: Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    >: "hardy".
    >:
    >: Save the file
    >:
    >: Then
    >: $ sudo apt-get update
    >: $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
    >:
    >
    > That's done it. :-)
    > A few hours and a minor error later, done! Very nice. :-D

    Glad it worked for you.

    As a matter of interest, what was the "minor error"?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    :
    : Glad it worked for you.
    :
    : As a matter of interest, what was the "minor error"?
    :

    I am very grateful for your help as always Moog.

    Some package to do with bash hung and failed to install. An apt-get upgrade
    installed it fine though.

  13. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Moog wrote in

    > Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    > "hardy".
    >
    > Save the file
    >
    > Then $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

    That kind of worked for me. "Kind of" because it worked only after I
    uninstalled the human-theme files as it would otherwise stop with a dpkg
    error. That was ok and straightforward, though, thanks to google.

    But now it won't start up anymore, after completing the sequence of
    dist-upgrade.

    Booting the normal kernel, the screen just stays blank; on booting into
    recovery mode, I get an init.rc default main process (4xxx) terminated
    with status 127. Dead as a dodo... Oh well, you try beta, you get
    burned! At least there's nothing on that installation I wouldn't mind
    losing, but if anyone does have an idea of how to rescue the situation
    I'd be grateful.

    N.

  14. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >:
    >: Glad it worked for you.
    >:
    >: As a matter of interest, what was the "minor error"?
    >:
    >
    > I am very grateful for your help as always Moog.
    >
    > Some package to do with bash hung and failed to install. An apt-get upgrade
    > installed it fine though.

    aah. Just one of those dpkg issues then. Not too bad.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Norbert Liecfeldt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote in
    >

    >> Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    >> "hardy".
    >>
    >> Save the file
    >>
    >> Then $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

    > That kind of worked for me. "Kind of" because it worked only after I
    > uninstalled the human-theme files as it would otherwise stop with a dpkg
    > error. That was ok and straightforward, though, thanks to google.
    >
    > But now it won't start up anymore, after completing the sequence of
    > dist-upgrade.
    >
    > Booting the normal kernel, the screen just stays blank; on booting into
    > recovery mode, I get an init.rc default main process (4xxx) terminated
    > with status 127. Dead as a dodo... Oh well, you try beta, you get
    > burned! At least there's nothing on that installation I wouldn't mind
    > losing, but if anyone does have an idea of how to rescue the situation
    > I'd be grateful.

    Can you boot into the single user mode (recovery) version of the
    kernel?

    You do this from within Grub.

    I'd then suggest doing

    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get -f upgrade

    See what error messages you get.

    BTW. You don't need sudo as single user mode logs you in as root.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  16. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    In article <6643miF2hd37oU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Moog wrote:

    > Norbert Liecfeldt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > Moog wrote in
    > >

    > >> Open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of "gutsy" with
    > >> "hardy".
    > >>
    > >> Save the file
    > >>
    > >> Then $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

    > > That kind of worked for me. "Kind of" because it worked only after I
    > > uninstalled the human-theme files as it would otherwise stop with a dpkg
    > > error. That was ok and straightforward, though, thanks to google.
    > >
    > > But now it won't start up anymore, after completing the sequence of
    > > dist-upgrade.
    > >
    > > Booting the normal kernel, the screen just stays blank; on booting into
    > > recovery mode, I get an init.rc default main process (4xxx) terminated
    > > with status 127. Dead as a dodo... Oh well, you try beta, you get
    > > burned! At least there's nothing on that installation I wouldn't mind
    > > losing, but if anyone does have an idea of how to rescue the situation
    > > I'd be grateful.

    > Can you boot into the single user mode (recovery) version of the
    > kernel?
    >
    > You do this from within Grub.
    >
    > I'd then suggest doing
    >
    > $ apt-get update
    > $ apt-get -f upgrade
    >
    > See what error messages you get.
    >
    > BTW. You don't need sudo as single user mode logs you in as root.

    No - when I choose the recovery option, I still get stuck on the 'main
    process terminated' error. In fact, that's the only reason I know that
    this is happening as the screen just stays black when I chose the
    'normal' kernel boot option.

    N.

  17. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    Norbert Liecfeldt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > No - when I choose the recovery option, I still get stuck on the 'main
    > process terminated' error. In fact, that's the only reason I know that
    > this is happening as the screen just stays black when I chose the
    > 'normal' kernel boot option.

    Hmmm. OK. My suggestion (an this is because of time) is to re-install.
    I'm assuming you have your /home folder backed up.

    If not, copy it to another medium using a liveCD.

    There are ways of getting yourself up and running, but by far the
    quickest way would be to install again.

    Can I apologise for offering the solution for upgrading. It was not my
    intention for you to experience this sort of thing.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  18. Re: Install Hardy over Gutsy in Gutsy?

    In article <664pmaF2ilgjgU4@mid.individual.net>,
    Moog wrote:

    > There are ways of getting yourself up and running, but by far the
    > quickest way would be to install again.

    I thought as much. Will wait until Hardy's officially out, though.

    > Can I apologise for offering the solution for upgrading. It was not my
    > intention for you to experience this sort of thing.

    No apology required. These things are undertaken at one's own risk, esp
    when dealing with beta releases!

    N.

+ Reply to Thread