Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when.... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when.... - Ubuntu ; Here here....

  1. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    Here here.

  2. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Here here.

    Normally I don't speak up on things like this,
    since this is _not_ alt.emglish.usage, :-)
    and I hope you don't take offense, but
    the expression is actually

    "Hear! Hear!"

    As in, "hey, people, this guy is not another troll,
    he's actually saying something worth listening to, so listen!"

    (Exclamation points optional)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing;

  3. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    "Wes Groleau" wrote in message
    : Cork Soaker wrote:
    : > Here here.
    :
    : Normally I don't speak up on things like this,
    : since this is _not_ alt.emglish.usage, :-)
    : and I hope you don't take offense, but
    : the expression is actually
    :
    : "Hear! Hear!"
    :
    : As in, "hey, people, this guy is not another troll,
    : he's actually saying something worth listening to, so listen!"
    :
    : (Exclamation points optional)
    :

    Darn it, you are right. Oh dear. My apologies to the English speakers
    amongst us.

  4. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Darn it, you are right. Oh dear. My apologies to the English speakers
    > amongst us.

    On behalf of my fellow pompous pedants, you're forgiven.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature, and as a
    firm and unalterable experience has established these laws,
    the proof against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact,
    is as entire as could possibly be imagined."
    -- David Hume, age 37

    "There's no such thing of that, 'cause I never heard of it."
    -- Becky Groleau, age 4

  5. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    On 2008-04-06, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Darn it, you are right. Oh dear. My apologies to the English speakers
    >> amongst us.

    > On behalf of my fellow pompous pedants, you're forgiven.

    Pedant is a word used to describe those who value accuracy by those
    who don't.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  6. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:52:07 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-04-06, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Darn it, you are right. Oh dear. My apologies to the English
    >>> speakers amongst us.

    >> On behalf of my fellow pompous pedants, you're forgiven.

    > Pedant is a word used to describe those who value accuracy by those
    > who don't.

    May I be pedantic for a moment?

    It's not a question of valuing or not valuing accuracy, it's about being
    capable of accuracy and precision, and knowing when to apply it and when
    not to.

    For example, those who say that good grammar is unimportant are normally
    those who can't write well even if they try.

    But as a capsule definition, yours works well, and I shall plagiarise it
    shamelessly from now on.

    PS :-)

  7. Re: You can tell Linux is really successful when....

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > Pedant is a word used to describe those who value accuracy by those
    > who don't.

    It's a word used by me for two purposes:

    (1) to describe people who value accuracy but lack the
    social skills to recognize when making an issue
    of it is unwise.

    (2) to make fun of myself if I make an issue of
    something like "hear" vs. "here" when really,
    it isn't very important.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Answer not a fool according to his folly,
    lest thou also be like unto him.
    Answer a fool according to his folly,
    lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
    -- Solomon

    Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
    -- Groleau

+ Reply to Thread