question about kubuntu's app installer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on question about kubuntu's app installer - Ubuntu ; I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with, I think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think there is another copy of it running and opens in read only ...

  1. question about kubuntu's app installer

    I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with, I
    think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think there
    is another copy of it running and opens in read only mode after the first
    time it is used, in other words, it doesn't seem to close all the way as far
    as the OS is concerned.

    Any help on this?

  2. Re: question about kubuntu's app installer

    Steve S schreef:
    > I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with, I
    > think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think there
    > is another copy of it running and opens in read only mode after the first
    > time it is used, in other words, it doesn't seem to close all the way as far
    > as the OS is concerned.
    >
    > Any help on this?

    Check if there is indeed no other copy (still) running via the utility
    'top'.
    When it's there kill it.

    In case you get the message there is a 'lock' file you can delete it:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

    Obviously all these checks are done before starting Adept

  3. Re: question about kubuntu's app installer

    Thanks, will check it out.

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    > Steve S schreef:
    >> I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with,
    >> I think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think
    >> there is another copy of it running and opens in read only mode after the
    >> first time it is used, in other words, it doesn't seem to close all the
    >> way as far as the OS is concerned.
    >>
    >> Any help on this?

    > Check if there is indeed no other copy (still) running via the utility
    > 'top'.
    > When it's there kill it.
    >
    > In case you get the message there is a 'lock' file you can delete it:
    > sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    >

    > Obviously all these checks are done before starting Adept

  4. Re: question about kubuntu's app installer

    BTW, I am really enjoying this expirience with linux. I tried it one time
    before when red hat was new, and really was not too fond of it at that time.
    I had seen so many distro's and read a little about them, tried Musix and
    thought is was awesome, but someone told me to try Kubuntu and just load the
    apps. Well, I didn't know all those apps were actually in the add/remove as
    downloads, but once I opened it, everything was very easy to figure out.

    Looks like MS lost me as a long time user!
    Don't get me wrong, MS had it's day, but to me, I think they have just gone
    overboard in pricing and monopolizing the market.

    Thanks for the heads up

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    > Steve S schreef:
    >> I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with,
    >> I think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think
    >> there is another copy of it running and opens in read only mode after the
    >> first time it is used, in other words, it doesn't seem to close all the
    >> way as far as the OS is concerned.
    >>
    >> Any help on this?

    > Check if there is indeed no other copy (still) running via the utility
    > 'top'.
    > When it's there kill it.
    >
    > In case you get the message there is a 'lock' file you can delete it:
    > sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    >

    > Obviously all these checks are done before starting Adept

  5. Re: question about kubuntu's app installer

    Steve S schreef:
    > BTW, I am really enjoying this expirience with linux. I tried it one time
    > before when red hat was new, and really was not too fond of it at that time.
    > I had seen so many distro's and read a little about them, tried Musix and
    > thought is was awesome, but someone told me to try Kubuntu and just load the
    > apps. Well, I didn't know all those apps were actually in the add/remove as
    > downloads, but once I opened it, everything was very easy to figure out.
    >
    > Looks like MS lost me as a long time user!
    > Don't get me wrong, MS had it's day, but to me, I think they have just gone
    > overboard in pricing and monopolizing the market.
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up

    Yes Microsoft might be missing the next boat.

    There was a time they were innovative but the last few years they are
    especially restrictive.

    Their partnering with the 'entertainment industry' resulting in an OS
    that's several times bigger and slower than any competitor shows a kind
    of arrogance only a monopoly player can dream up.

    But guess what, the monopoly is failing thanks to guys like Ubuntu's
    Mark Shuttleworth, Red Hat's Michael Tiemann and Bob Young and European
    legislators.

    Now the general public is slowly becoming more aware.

  6. Re: question about kubuntu's app installer

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    > Steve S schreef:
    >> I am a linux newbie and liking it quite well. While installing apps with,
    >> I think it is called adept installer, I noticed that it seems to think
    >> there is another copy of it running and opens in read only mode after the
    >> first time it is used, in other words, it doesn't seem to close all the
    >> way as far as the OS is concerned.
    >>
    >> Any help on this?

    > Check if there is indeed no other copy (still) running via the utility
    > 'top'.
    > When it's there kill it.
    >
    > In case you get the message there is a 'lock' file you can delete it:
    > sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    >

    > Obviously all these checks are done before starting Adept

    I found that when I start the add/remove utility, there is only one adept
    item running that is called adept manager, but when I open the installer,
    even after terminating that, it still gives me the same error, but I can
    just say no, and it runs fine. I am guessing I must have done something
    wrong in the install, or because I didn't have it hooked up to the net when
    I did the install.

    Either way, I am still enjoying the OS, I am sure I will need to do some
    tweaking to get my system running a little quicker. Sometimes when the
    screen saver comes on, the task bar gets flaked and won't refresh itself.

    But I have been showing newbies how to use windows for years, and I'll tell
    you this much, Linux has been an extremely easy transition for me on that
    system. I am quite sure that I will be losing all my windows machines before
    long as there are so many programs to choose from for free, and I am sure I
    will do some donating before long as I see it is awesome, and the programs
    save me so much agrivation having everything right there.

+ Reply to Thread