Quicken-like app - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Quicken-like app - Ubuntu ; Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu? Alan -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. ** Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

  1. Quicken-like app

    Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  2. Re: Quicken-like app

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:07:03 -0400
    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu?
    >

    > Alan

    Gnucash is the closest one, but not quite there. You can run
    quicken under Crosseover from Codeweavers, that is what I do.
    It currently support Quicken 2006 without any problems, 2007
    has some font issues, and is under work.
    Crossover can be installed using automatix2 or directly from
    codeweavers.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  3. Re: Quicken-like app

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu?
    >

    > Alan

    Depends.
    If you use 2003. wine is perfect.
    You can try gnucash.
    caver1

  4. Re: Quicken-like app

    wrote in message
    news:47f92d7d$2$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast .net...
    > Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu?
    >

    > Alan
    >
    > --

    > ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **
    >
    > Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R
    >
    > BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com

    There is no such thing in the linsux world

  5. Re: Quicken-like app

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:07:03 -0400, nobody wrote:

    > Is there a Quicken-like app for Ubuntu?
    >

    > Alan

    I use Quicken 2002 with wine and
    gnucash and they both work great.

    bob

  6. Re: Quicken-like app

    In <20080406142641.0c2a0b0c@laptop>, on 04/06/08
    at 02:26 PM, Holz said:

    >Gnucash is the closest one, but not quite there. You can run quicken
    >under Crosseover from Codeweavers, that is what I do. It currently
    >support Quicken 2006 without any problems, 2007 has some font issues, and
    >is under work.
    >Crossover can be installed using automatix2 or directly from codeweavers.

    Thanks.

    Question - when apps are installed by Automatix or Add Programs, where do
    they go? No icon appears on my desktop, as it does in OS/2.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  7. Re: Quicken-like app

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > Question - when apps are installed by Automatix or Add Programs, where do
    > they go? No icon appears on my desktop, as it does in OS/2.
    >
    > Alan

    They are installed on your hard drive. But I bet you figured that. ;-)

    BTW, Automatix is dead now, and recommendations say it should not have
    ever been used. Use apt-get, or its GUI frontends, Synaptic under GNOME,
    or Adept under KDE.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatix_%28software%29

    http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/in...showtopic=2424

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_Package_Manager

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adept_Package_Manager

    Usually programs are put into the /usr/bin directory.

    Rarely does a program put an icon on the desktop. That is a Windows
    bloat feature.

    Some installed programs will place an icon in a menu. If one isn't
    located, in Ubuntu (GNOME) you can always install one by using the
    Alacarte Menu Editor (right-click the Applications Menu and select "Edit
    Menus" from the list). Then use "New Entry" under the Menu Editor's File
    menu.

    Finding any provided icon might prove more difficult though. The
    /usr/share/pixmaps directory is a good place to start.

    You can also start any program from a terminal, or use the
    program launcher. It's very fast and you don't need to hunt around
    through menus looking for a program's icon to click.

    --
    John

  8. Re: Quicken-like app

    In <%AyKj.151834$cQ1.108001@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, on
    04/08/08
    at 12:00 AM, "John F. Morse" said:

    >> Question - when apps are installed by Automatix or Add Programs, where do
    >> they go? No icon appears on my desktop, as it does in OS/2.
    >>

    >They are installed on your hard drive. But I bet you figured that. ;-)

    I figured that, yes. :-) I know nothing about Linux, but that tidbit I
    did deduce. How to access them is the problem.

    >BTW, Automatix is dead now, and recommendations say it should not have
    >ever been used. Use apt-get, or its GUI frontends, Synaptic under GNOME,
    >or Adept under KDE.

    Okay. I have Automatix/2, but haven't used it.

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatix_%28software%29

    >http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/in...showtopic=2424

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_Package_Manager

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adept_Package_Manager

    >Usually programs are put into the /usr/bin directory.

    >Rarely does a program put an icon on the desktop. That is a Windows
    >bloat feature.

    >Some installed programs will place an icon in a menu. If one isn't
    >located, in Ubuntu (GNOME) you can always install one by using the
    >Alacarte Menu Editor (right-click the Applications Menu and select "Edit
    >Menus" from the list). Then use "New Entry" under the Menu Editor's File
    >menu.

    >Finding any provided icon might prove more difficult though. The
    >/usr/share/pixmaps directory is a good place to start.

    >You can also start any program from a terminal, or use the
    >program launcher. It's very fast and you don't need to hunt around
    >through menus looking for a program's icon to click.

    Thank you very much. I have saved this message for future reference.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R