Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > >> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world > > Yea. > It's dynamic alright! > > The Ubuntu group ...

  1. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    > Yea.
    > It's dynamic alright!
    >
    > The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    > up etc on it's users.
    >
    > Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    >> Yea.
    >> It's dynamic alright!
    >>
    >> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >> up etc on it's users.
    >>
    >> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    > And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results

    Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.

    Guess Ubuntu wins.

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:06:36 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Canuck57" writes:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Except for the fact the (a) Vista is new and (b) Windows is installed on
    something like 90x more machines.

    Why don't you write a calculator app?

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:11:15 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    >> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>
    >> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >>
    >> Guess Ubuntu wins.
    >>

    > Except for the fact the (a) Vista is new and (b) Windows is installed on
    > something like 90x more machines.
    >
    > Why don't you write a calculator app?

    Why don't you try to do something constructive?

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Guess you're a linsux lintard asshole

  7. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Sun, 6 Apr 2008 23:08:03 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:06:36 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    >> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>
    >> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >>
    >> Guess Ubuntu wins.

    > Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace

    Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7

    Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.

    A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  8. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.

    >> Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    > Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    Nah. First of all, that's just for "Ubuntu".

    Second, our poor concentration-camp survivor assumes that it is all
    desktop problems. Could be close, though, with Ubuntu.

    Third, duplicates, undoubtedly massive, are ignored in both cases.

    Fourth, perhaps more Windows problems are solved by going to a friend
    rather than to the web.

    > Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    > Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace
    >
    > Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    > Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7
    >
    > Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.
    >
    > A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    The "calculations" would, however, still be garbage.

    --
    This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business
    is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.

  9. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:42:39 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    >> Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    > Nah. First of all, that's just for "Ubuntu".

    It's a big assumption. ;-) Of course, that makes it
    even worse; if Linux is only using 0.6% of the Desktop
    (disputable in itself), how much of the desktop does
    Ubuntu have? That just makes it bigger -- were this to
    have any validity at all.

    > Second, our poor concentration-camp survivor assumes that it is all
    > desktop problems. Could be close, though, with Ubuntu.

    I'll admit to wondering what kinds of "problems" these
    counts reflect. Google in particular has some interesting
    characteristics; if one does a multiword search such as
    "Iraq war tanks", some of the searches will include "Iraq",
    some on "war", and some on "tanks" -- this is not that
    hard to see on a 10-link "page".

    (For that particular query, one also gets hits on "Iraq
    war", but one rather amusing hit is titled "Iraq War Movies
    Tank at the Box Office" -- from KCRW, an FM station located
    in Santa Monica, CA. Of course, Iraq war movies probably
    involve armored artillery in some form, but clearly "tanks"
    is found here in a completely different context.)

    > Third, duplicates, undoubtedly massive, are ignored in both cases.
    >
    > Fourth, perhaps more Windows problems are solved by going to a friend
    > rather than to the web.

    One of the more interesting Windows issues, that.

    >> Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    >> Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace
    >>
    >> Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    >> Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7
    >>
    >> Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.
    >>
    >> A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    > The "calculations" would, however, still be garbage.

    The calculations are OK, but, like dividing the number
    of penguins in a zoo by the size of one's fountain pen,
    the result is essentially meaningless.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!