Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart - Ubuntu ; Hi again, On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz... If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or shows all kinds of exception ...

  1. Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    Hi again,

    On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz...

    If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in
    which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or shows
    all kinds of exception errors. If I then switch the machine off and back
    on, Ubuntu loads fine and reports no errors (including no dirty filesystem
    errors).

    However, if I shut down and power off, and then power back on, Ubuntu loads
    fine.

    Strange!

  2. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    Can you post the error messages?

    On 2008-04-05, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz...
    >
    > If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in
    > which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or shows
    > all kinds of exception errors. If I then switch the machine off and back
    > on, Ubuntu loads fine and reports no errors (including no dirty filesystem
    > errors).
    >
    > However, if I shut down and power off, and then power back on, Ubuntu loads
    > fine.
    >
    > Strange!

  3. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    : Can you post the error messages?
    :

    It hasn't happened in a while, usually just locks up.
    And we're talking about 200 lines too :-/

    I'll see what I can grab if it starts spitting out exceptions again.

  4. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    :
    :: Can you post the error messages?
    ::
    :
    : It hasn't happened in a while, usually just locks up.
    : And we're talking about 200 lines too :-/
    :
    : I'll see what I can grab if it starts spitting out exceptions again.
    :

    It doesn't even get to the boot screen anymore. Again, only if I choose
    reboot, if I power off and on, it's fine.

    Very very strange.

  5. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    :
    : On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz...
    :
    : If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in
    : which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or
    shows
    : all kinds of exception errors. If I then switch the machine off and back
    : on, Ubuntu loads fine and reports no errors (including no dirty filesystem
    : errors).
    :
    : However, if I shut down and power off, and then power back on, Ubuntu
    loads
    : fine.
    :
    : Strange!
    :

    Upgrade to Hardy Beta and this is still an issue. :-(

    Hard drive light remains lit, no error messages, loading screen shows,
    nothing else.

    Power off/on works fine as before.

  6. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    On 2008-04-08, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >:
    >: On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz...
    >:
    >: If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in
    >: which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or
    > shows
    >: all kinds of exception errors. If I then switch the machine off and back
    >: on, Ubuntu loads fine and reports no errors (including no dirty filesystem
    >: errors).
    >:
    >: However, if I shut down and power off, and then power back on, Ubuntu
    > loads
    >: fine.
    >:
    >: Strange!
    >:
    >
    > Upgrade to Hardy Beta and this is still an issue. :-(
    >
    > Hard drive light remains lit, no error messages, loading screen shows,
    > nothing else.
    >
    > Power off/on works fine as before.

    When in splash screen, can you press Ctrl-Alt-F1, it will get you to
    the console and you may see more information. Write some down and post
    it.

  7. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:40:23 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Hi again,
    >
    > On a Latitude LS 256MB 500MHz...
    >
    > If I choose reboot, the system shuts down and restarts upto the point in
    > which the Ubuntu splash screen is shown. Then, it either locks up, or
    > shows all kinds of exception errors. If I then switch the machine off
    > and back on, Ubuntu loads fine and reports no errors (including no dirty
    > filesystem errors).
    >
    > However, if I shut down and power off, and then power back on, Ubuntu
    > loads fine.
    >
    > Strange!

    Before you restart again, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    On the line that starts with
    # defoptions=
    remove the words "splash" and "quiet"
    Then do an update-grub to adjust your kernel boot options. This removes
    the splash screen and fills your boot-up with plenty of text to read.
    Then you can watch your system boot each time and learn what it is doing,
    and when it freezes you may have a clue.

    I would also suggest you add "pci=noacpi noapic noloapic" to the
    defoptions line when doing the above edit. This helps prevent some
    lockups.

    stonerfish

    stonerfish

  8. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    :
    : When in splash screen, can you press Ctrl-Alt-F1, it will get you to
    : the console and you may see more information. Write some down and post
    : it.
    :

    ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    and then these three lines repeat for a while...

    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ does not exist. Dropping to shell!

    BusyBox v1.1.3 tries to load...

    (initramfs) ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    repeated forever.....

    Powered off, powered on, all is well again.

  9. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    On 2008-04-08, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >:
    >: When in splash screen, can you press Ctrl-Alt-F1, it will get you to
    >: the console and you may see more information. Write some down and post
    >: it.
    >:
    >
    > ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    > ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    > and then these three lines repeat for a while...

    I googled this string exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2
    frozen and a lot of people talk about it, will look again in the
    morning...

    Maybe your disk was powered down and did not power back up...

    > ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ does not exist. Dropping to shell!
    >
    > BusyBox v1.1.3 tries to load...
    >
    > (initramfs) ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    > ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    > ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    > ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
    > ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
    > repeated forever.....
    >

    > Powered off, powered on, all is well again.

  10. Re: Ubuntu won't reboot, but will restart

    :
    : Maybe your disk was powered down and did not power back up...
    :

    I wish! It's an old IBM drive and it's the noisiest in the world, you would
    know if it was powered down.

    It does seem to be a problem with the power settings however, I should try
    the acpi=off option and see if it makes any difference, but I'm too tired
    :-P

    I'll have a look later.

+ Reply to Thread