Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything... - Ubuntu ; I have a Netgear WG511 re-branded 802.11g w/ WPA2 PCMCIA wireless adapter. It works find under Windoze but I don't want Windoze - simple. It's plugged in and Ubuntu detects it fine, all seems to be good. It won't connect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    I have a Netgear WG511 re-branded 802.11g w/ WPA2 PCMCIA wireless adapter.
    It works find under Windoze but I don't want Windoze - simple.

    It's plugged in and Ubuntu detects it fine, all seems to be good.

    It won't connect to my router though.
    The router Syslog shows whenever a client attempts to connect or disconnect,
    but the Syslog shows nothing.

    Wireshark running on the client shows IEEE 802 Probe Requests being sent out
    over Broadcast, but the only response from the router seems to be an IEEE
    802 Disassociate with reason code 0x0001 (Unspecified reason).

    I'm afraid I don't have much more information than this, as nothing is
    providing me with any detail. :-(

    Any ideas? TIA.

  2. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have a Netgear WG511 re-branded 802.11g w/ WPA2 PCMCIA wireless adapter.
    > It works find under Windoze but I don't want Windoze - simple.
    >
    > It's plugged in and Ubuntu detects it fine, all seems to be good.
    >
    > It won't connect to my router though.
    > The router Syslog shows whenever a client attempts to connect or disconnect,
    > but the Syslog shows nothing.
    >
    > Wireshark running on the client shows IEEE 802 Probe Requests being sent out
    > over Broadcast, but the only response from the router seems to be an IEEE
    > 802 Disassociate with reason code 0x0001 (Unspecified reason).
    >
    > I'm afraid I don't have much more information than this, as nothing is
    > providing me with any detail. :-(
    >
    > Any ideas? TIA.

    Post the output of

    $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    > Post the output of
    >
    > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp

    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    address 192.168.0.16
    netmask 255.255.255.192
    gateway 192.168.0.2
    wpa-psk BLAH
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto WPA2
    wpa-ssid BLAH

    auto wlan0

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

  4. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Post the output of
    >>
    >> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >>

    > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    >
    > # The loopback network interface
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto eth0 (Comment out or remove this one)
    > #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > iface wlan0 inet static (I've change dhcp to static here)
    > address 192.168.0.16
    > netmask 255.255.255.192 (Are you sure this is the right mask. Just

    checking - It's usually a 255 or 0)
    > gateway 192.168.0.2
    > wpa-psk BLAH
    > wpa-driver wext
    > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > wpa-proto WPA2
    > wpa-ssid BLAH

    > auto wlan0

    I've noted what potentially should work and removed some eronious
    lines. There seem to have been a number of inconsistencies.
    This isn't neccesarily your fault as the automagic ubuntu stuff still
    has a little way to go until it reaches its full potential. Hopefully
    the Hardy RC will see it solved.

    Solution. Try and amend that file above using

    $ sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

    Paste the differences above in. Make sure your netmask is correct too.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    : >>
    : >
[...]
    :
    : > auto wlan0
    :
    : I've noted what potentially should work and removed some eronious
    : lines. There seem to have been a number of inconsistencies.
    : This isn't neccesarily your fault as the automagic ubuntu stuff still
    : has a little way to go until it reaches its full potential. Hopefully
    : the Hardy RC will see it solved.
    :
    : Solution. Try and amend that file above using
    :
    : $ sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    :
    : Paste the differences above in. Make sure your netmask is correct too.
    :

    Hi Moog, thanks again for your help.
    This makes no difference. eth0 and wlan0 both want to be DHCP. That's why
    both are set to auto. I need eth0 to use the network, seen as wlan0 is not
    working.

    I've tried wlan0 connected on it's own, on both static and using DHCP. The
    problem is that the initial connection isn't being made to the router (OSI
    Level 1), so no IP configuration is taking place.

    Tried the Netgear website for an updated Linux driver, but of course there
    isn't one, but the product is getting fairly old.

    Currently having a look at Linuxant, but don't know if this will help, I'll
    soon find out!
    http://www.linuxant.com

    And yeah, the subnet is correct.

    Thanks again.

  6. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    :
    : Currently having a look at Linuxant, but don't know if this will help,
    I'll
    : soon find out!
    : http://www.linuxant.com
    :

    Screw that, have to pay for it.
    Nothing on Google.
    Back to square one.

  7. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    On 2008-04-06, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >:
    >: Currently having a look at Linuxant, but don't know if this will help,
    > I'll
    >: soon find out!
    >: http://www.linuxant.com
    >:
    >
    > Screw that, have to pay for it.
    > Nothing on Google.
    > Back to square one.

    What you are trying to do is only mildly linux specific, you are
    trying to solve a routing problem that is is relatively complicated.

    I personally cannot recommend linuxant drivers based on a poor prior
    experience.

  8. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    > : > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    > : >
    > : > # The loopback network interface
    > : > auto lo
    > : > iface lo inet loopback
    > : >
    > : > # The primary network interface
    > : > auto eth0 (Comment out or remove this one)
    > : > #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    > : >
    > : > iface wlan0 inet static (I've change dhcp to static here)
    > : > address 192.168.0.16
    > : > netmask 255.255.255.192 (Are you sure this is the right mask. Just
    > : checking - It's usually a 255 or 0)
    > : > gateway 192.168.0.2
    > : > wpa-psk BLAH
    > : > wpa-driver wext
    > : > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > : > wpa-proto WPA2
    > : > wpa-ssid BLAH
    > :
    > : > auto wlan0
    > :
    > : I've noted what potentially should work and removed some eronious
    > : lines. There seem to have been a number of inconsistencies.
    > : This isn't neccesarily your fault as the automagic ubuntu stuff still
    > : has a little way to go until it reaches its full potential. Hopefully
    > : the Hardy RC will see it solved.
    > :
    > : Solution. Try and amend that file above using
    > :
    > : $ sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    > :
    > : Paste the differences above in. Make sure your netmask is correct too.
    > :
    >
    > Hi Moog, thanks again for your help.
    > This makes no difference. eth0 and wlan0 both want to be DHCP. That's why
    > both are set to auto. I need eth0 to use the network, seen as wlan0 is not
    > working.
    >
    > I've tried wlan0 connected on it's own, on both static and using DHCP. The
    > problem is that the initial connection isn't being made to the router (OSI
    > Level 1), so no IP configuration is taking place.
    >
    > Tried the Netgear website for an updated Linux driver, but of course there
    > isn't one, but the product is getting fairly old.
    >
    > Currently having a look at Linuxant, but don't know if this will help, I'll
    > soon find out!
    > http://www.linuxant.com
    >
    > And yeah, the subnet is correct.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Are you sure it's not a security issue? Try turning it off to see...

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  9. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    "Norman Peelman" wrote in message
    : Cork Soaker wrote:
    : > : >>
    : > : >
[...]
    : > :
    : > : > auto wlan0
    : > :
[...]

    I've tried WEP and it's identical. Ubuntu does not have the option for an
    Open access.

    The Syslog reports all WLAN activity. It doesn't matter what security I
    use, it's not making the necessary handshake.
    It works fine under Windows, so it's not the router or the card.

  10. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    :
    : What you are trying to do is only mildly linux specific, you are
    : trying to solve a routing problem that is is relatively complicated.

    No I'm not, I'm trying to connect to a wireless AP, that's it.

    :
    : I personally cannot recommend linuxant drivers based on a poor prior
    : experience.
    :

    Yeah I've given up anyway, I refuse to pay for WLAN drivers!!

  11. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Post the output of
    >>
    >> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >>

    > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    >
    > # The loopback network interface
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto eth0
    > #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    > address 192.168.0.16
    > netmask 255.255.255.192
    > gateway 192.168.0.2
    > wpa-psk BLAH
    > wpa-driver wext
    > wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    > wpa-proto WPA2
    > wpa-ssid BLAH
    >

    > auto wlan0
    >
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp

    0001 0000
    1100 0000 AND

    gives what result?

    Daniel

  12. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > :
    > : What you are trying to do is only mildly linux specific, you are
    > : trying to solve a routing problem that is is relatively complicated.
    >
    > No I'm not, I'm trying to connect to a wireless AP, that's it.
    >
    > :
    > : I personally cannot recommend linuxant drivers based on a poor prior
    > : experience.
    > :
    >
    > Yeah I've given up anyway, I refuse to pay for WLAN drivers!!

    I didn't catch what drivers you were using. I have to use the Windows
    drivers that came with the card on my system. ndiswrapper was the way
    to go for me and setup in Hardy has been made quite easy.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  13. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    : I didn't catch what drivers you were using. I have to use the Windows
    : drivers that came with the card on my system. ndiswrapper was the way
    : to go for me and setup in Hardy has been made quite easy.
    :

    I'd love to give it a go, but I can't figure out which files I need or where
    they are!

    The stupid installer for the driver can't be extracted without installing
    it. At least, no way I know.

    hmph

  14. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    :
    : 0001 0000
    : 1100 0000 AND
    :
    : gives what result?
    :

    Pardon?

  15. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Using ndiswrapper and this page as a guide:
    http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/15-...and-Linux.html

    I managed to find the files I needed in the GHOST backup I made before
    installing Ubuntu on the laptop.

    No help whatsoever.

    This is a farce.

  16. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Using ndiswrapper and this page as a guide:
    > http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/15-...and-Linux.html
    >
    > I managed to find the files I needed in the GHOST backup I made before
    > installing Ubuntu on the laptop.
    >
    > No help whatsoever.
    >
    > This is a farce.

    Which version of Ubuntu are you on... I didn't need to use any of the
    stuff on that page, only needed the .INF file (I'm also using NetGear
    stuff) off the Windows install CD. For anything before 8.04 it will take
    a bit of work. 8.04 has introduced a new front-end gui for installing
    ndiswrapper (and the .INF) and it works like a charm.

    Check here:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  17. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    :
    : Which version of Ubuntu are you on... I didn't need to use any of the
    : stuff on that page, only needed the .INF file (I'm also using NetGear
    : stuff) off the Windows install CD. For anything before 8.04 it will take
    : a bit of work. 8.04 has introduced a new front-end gui for installing
    : ndiswrapper (and the .INF) and it works like a charm.
    :
    : Check here:
    :
    : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    :

    Well I'm using Gutsy. I obviously needed the .inf file and the files that
    went with it.
    I didn't get a driver CD or I've lost it, but the ones I'm using are the
    latest Windows drivers from the website.

    I was holding out trying Hardy on the laptop until the official release, but
    without the wireless I may as well try it! I can't use the laptop much
    without the wifi.

    I found using ndiswrapper incredibly easy and simple, it's a nice little
    tool.

    Here we go with Hardy Beta then! **Fingers crossed**

  18. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > :
    > : 0001 0000
    > : 1100 0000 AND
    > :
    > : gives what result?
    > :
    >

    > Pardon?

    Whoosh!

    --
    John

  19. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > :
    > : Which version of Ubuntu are you on... I didn't need to use any of the
    > : stuff on that page, only needed the .INF file (I'm also using NetGear
    > : stuff) off the Windows install CD. For anything before 8.04 it will take
    > : a bit of work. 8.04 has introduced a new front-end gui for installing
    > : ndiswrapper (and the .INF) and it works like a charm.
    > :
    > : Check here:
    > :
    > : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    > :
    >
    > Well I'm using Gutsy. I obviously needed the .inf file and the files that
    > went with it.
    > I didn't get a driver CD or I've lost it, but the ones I'm using are the
    > latest Windows drivers from the website.
    >
    > I was holding out trying Hardy on the laptop until the official release, but
    > without the wireless I may as well try it! I can't use the laptop much
    > without the wifi.
    >
    > I found using ndiswrapper incredibly easy and simple, it's a nice little
    > tool.
    >
    > Here we go with Hardy Beta then! **Fingers crossed**

    Not sure what day it comes out... I've got the beta installed on my
    girlfriends system... prepare for a lot of updates!

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  20. Re: Wireless LAN doesn't do much of anything...

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Hi Moog, thanks again for your help.
    > This makes no difference. eth0 and wlan0 both want to be DHCP. That's why
    > both are set to auto. I need eth0 to use the network, seen as wlan0 is not
    > working.
    >
    > I've tried wlan0 connected on it's own, on both static and using DHCP. The
    > problem is that the initial connection isn't being made to the router (OSI
    > Level 1), so no IP configuration is taking place.

    OK. In which case, you've probably got some godawful chipset in the
    card.

    Looks like ndiswrapper is the way forward then.

    I've recently had a similar spec Belkin USB Wireless card working with
    the windows driver using it.