Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu ; http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926 Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of Linux proves itself to be yet another dud. Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the general populous? "One reason I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 135

  1. Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926

    Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.

    Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    general populous?

    "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to a
    USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    me.. But maybe others had better success. Wasn't any problem with the key
    as it was brand new and made bootable and upon not working at all in
    DreamLinux 3.0 I immediately had no issues placing my favorite Puppy Linux
    3.0.1 on same key.

    Maybe they need to work at this... Could just have been me too...."

    It wasn't him.
    I just tried it and it tanked on me too.

    So here we have another Linux piece of junk destined for the bitbucket.

    Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.

    Oh, I forgot it's all about choice.

    What good is choice when everything you get to choose from stinks?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >
    > Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    > Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.
    >
    > Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    > general populous?
    >
    > "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    > their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to
    > USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    > me.. But maybe others had better success.

    Try plugging your USB Key in a USB port on your computer rather than up your
    ass. Might work then.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  3. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:21:33 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >>
    >> Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    >> Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.
    >>
    >> Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    >> general populous?
    >>
    >> "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    >> their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to
    >> USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    >> me.. But maybe others had better success.

    > Try plugging your USB Key in a USB port on your computer rather than up your
    > ass. Might work then.
    >
    > Cheers.

    What is it with COLA Linux freaks and their obsession with rectums?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:11:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >
    > Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    > Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.

    According to distrowatch.com about 360 active Linux distributions. If
    they're all duds, then you have nothing to worry about, so crawl home!

  5. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 5 Apr 2008 02:23:39 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:11:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >>
    >> Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    >> Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.

    > According to distrowatch.com about 360 active Linux distributions. If
    > they're all duds, then you have nothing to worry about, so crawl home!

    Yea,,,what about the inactive ones?
    You know the ones where Johnny got over his "I'm going to be a programmer"
    phase and abandoned the project.
    What happens to the poor suckers who committed to those distributions?

    The problem with Linux is that distributions are born daily.
    The problem with Linux is that these same distributions also die on a daily
    basis.

    Once Johnny discovers that girls are softer than VI or Emacs, another Linux
    distribution goes down the drain.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:32:24 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Once Johnny discovers that girls are softer than VI or Emacs, another
    > Linux distribution goes down the drain.

    $ man girls
    No manual entry for girls
    $

    Oh, well. Back to VI...

  7. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    > single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    > hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.

    As far as my own computer use is concerned, ubuntu works and does what
    /i want, from a obsolete freebie laptop with 256 mb of ram, and 10"
    screen, to big servers with a lot of expensive hardware.
    the only annoying thing is that it does not hibernate on my big laptop.

  8. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:11:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >
    > Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    > Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.

    (snip

    Even if what you say is true... so what?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:45:30 -0500, netcat wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:32:24 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Once Johnny discovers that girls are softer than VI or Emacs, another
    >> Linux distribution goes down the drain.

    > $ man girls
    > No manual entry for girls
    > $
    >
    > Oh, well. Back to VI...

    Figures.........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:11:51 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    >> single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    >> hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.

    > As far as my own computer use is concerned, ubuntu works and does what
    > /i want, from a obsolete freebie laptop with 256 mb of ram, and 10"
    > screen, to big servers with a lot of expensive hardware.
    > the only annoying thing is that it does not hibernate on my big laptop.

    I would say not hibernating on a laptop is a pretty big problem.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    In article ,
    netcat wrote:
    >$ man girls
    >No manual entry for girls
    >$
    >Oh, well. Back to VI...

    Try man -S 4 girls. They're a special file.

  12. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:11:51 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    >>> single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    >>> hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.

    >> As far as my own computer use is concerned, ubuntu works and does what
    >> /i want, from a obsolete freebie laptop with 256 mb of ram, and 10"
    >> screen, to big servers with a lot of expensive hardware.
    >> the only annoying thing is that it does not hibernate on my big laptop.

    > I would say not hibernating on a laptop is a pretty big problem.

    It is a big problem. I do not like it. But given that everything else
    functions smoothly and there is an unlimited amount of what I can do,
    I accept it. But it is a problem worth mentioning.

    As far as I know, they are fully redoing hibernation in the newer
    kernels and it will hopefully work better.

  13. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >
    > Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    > Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.
    >
    > Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    > general populous?

    Does Microsoft?

    OSS has the policy of publish early, and publish often. This gives people
    the chance to try the software and find the hidden bugs, as well as getting
    an oppotunity to improve it.

    > "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    > their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to a
    > USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    > me..

    So have you explained to the developers the problems you are having. Details
    of what you did and the error messages?

    > Maybe they need to work at this... Could just have been me too...."
    >
    > It wasn't him.
    > I just tried it and it tanked on me too.
    >
    > So here we have another Linux piece of junk destined for the bitbucket.

    Time will tell, and even if it is, you may be rest assured that some bits
    will live on. The good bits.

    > Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    > single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    > hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.

    *issues* are nothing more than a bye product of development.

    > Oh, I forgot it's all about choice.

    Indeed it is.

    > What good is choice when everything you get to choose from stinks?

    Oh dear a troll has escaped from the MS FUD camp.

  14. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:21:33 -0700, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >>>
    >>> Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    >>> Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.
    >>>
    >>> Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    >>> general populous?
    >>>
    >>> "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    >>> their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to
    >>> USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    >>> me.. But maybe others had better success.

    >> Try plugging your USB Key in a USB port on your computer rather than up your
    >> ass. Might work then.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > What is it with COLA Linux freaks and their obsession with rectums?

    For we have studied long what comes from some software places mouths, and it
    does need to be stopped. In usual Linux style a start is being made with the
    backend

  15. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-05, Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> As far as my own computer use is concerned, ubuntu works and does what
    >>> /i want, from a obsolete freebie laptop with 256 mb of ram, and 10"
    >>> screen, to big servers with a lot of expensive hardware.
    >>> the only annoying thing is that it does not hibernate on my big laptop.

    >> I would say not hibernating on a laptop is a pretty big problem.
    >>

    > It is a big problem. I do not like it. But given that everything else
    > functions smoothly and there is an unlimited amount of what I can do,
    > I accept it. But it is a problem worth mentioning.
    >
    > As far as I know, they are fully redoing hibernation in the newer
    > kernels and it will hopefully work better.

    It's a matter of personal need/preference. I don't even know if
    hibernate works on my laptop, as I don't want that functionality. The
    only time I leave my laptop sitting around running is when it is
    connected to the home entertainment system and the big TV. I want it
    running all the time in that situation. Otherwise, it is a dual-boot
    laptop, so I always shut it down when not in use.

    Perhaps I'll try it one of these days just to see how well it does or
    doesn't work... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  16. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    Please don't feed the troll. He's already had all this explained to him.

  17. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Moshe Goldfarb did eloquently scribble:
    >> According to distrowatch.com about 360 active Linux distributions. If
    >> they're all duds, then you have nothing to worry about, so crawl home!

    > Yea,,,what about the inactive ones?
    > You know the ones where Johnny got over his "I'm going to be a programmer"
    > phase and abandoned the project.
    > What happens to the poor suckers who committed to those distributions?

    Simple, oh moronic one.
    They move on. OOo, that was difficult, wasn't it boys and girls?

    What is your suggestion oh wise one?
    Ban production of all new distributions, perhaps?
    If I wanted to experiment with making my own distro, I damned well would.
    If someone out there wanted to try it, well, that's their choice, if they
    liked it, even better. If I decided to abandon it, then tough luck to them.
    (there's nothing stopping THEM from continuing with it of course)

    Not all distros are backed by large companies like redhat. Or millionnaires
    like Ubuntu is.

    Linux is both big business AND hobby.
    I know your brain can't quite get that. It's soo dense very little
    information can penetrate it. But... Them's the facts.

    > The problem with Linux is that distributions are born daily.

    The problem is you see it as a problem.
    IT is not a problem.
    Never has been, never will be.
    You want a stable well supported distro, stick with the big 8.
    You want to play around and see what other people have done with it, play
    around and see what other people have done with it.

    No-one's forcing you. So **** off and leave the rest of us to our fun you
    pathetic little troll.

    > The problem with Linux is that these same distributions also die on a daily
    > basis.

    What problem was that again?
    I see no problem.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  18. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    chrisv did eloquently scribble:
    > Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    >> On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Please don't feed the troll. He's already had all this explained to him.

    Dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of times...
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  19. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > What is it with COLA Linux freaks and their obsession with rectums?

    I think that they are just trying to make an asshole, like you, feel
    comfortable.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

  20. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9926
    >
    > Dream Linux, yet another one of the almost 1000+ different versions of
    > Linux proves itself to be yet another dud.
    >
    > Tell me, do they actually test these things before they foist them on the
    > general populous?
    >
    > "One reason I wanted to take a look at DreamLinux 3.0 was it's claim on
    > their website that they had the easiest tool to install DreamLinux 3.0 to a
    > USB Key. Well, it is an easy tool.. If it worked.. It didnt work for
    > me.. But maybe others had better success. Wasn't any problem with the key
    > as it was brand new and made bootable and upon not working at all in
    > DreamLinux 3.0 I immediately had no issues placing my favorite Puppy Linux
    > 3.0.1 on same key.
    >
    > Maybe they need to work at this... Could just have been me too...."
    >
    > It wasn't him.
    > I just tried it and it tanked on me too.
    >
    > So here we have another Linux piece of junk destined for the bitbucket.
    >
    > Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons get together and create a
    > single distribution that actually works as designed instead of all these
    > hamstrung distributions that have *issues*.
    >
    > Oh, I forgot it's all about choice.
    >
    > What good is choice when everything you get to choose from stinks?

    Hmm... I was reading through this and why do we have to fight?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast