Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu ; Frank Stallone wrote: > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:45:46 -0700, Snit wrote: > >> "Frank Stallone" stated in post >> h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM: >> >>> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote: >>> >>>> "Moog" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 135 of 135

Thread: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

  1. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release Vista Me.

    Frank Stallone wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:45:46 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    >> h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Moog" stated in post
    >>>> 660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net on 4/7/08 10:18 PM:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Snit illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    >>>>>> Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with
    >>>>>> the distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing
    >>>>>> out on things other distros do better - such as the better graphical
    >>>>>> design of PCLOS.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel?
    >>>>> Change it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't
    >>>>> like Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as
    >>>>> OpenGeu that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.
    >>>>
    >>>> Lovely but irrelevant to the point... and also not really true. There
    >>>> is no realistic way, for example, for the general user (or even a
    >>>> small team of programmers) to customize a desktop Linux distro to be
    >>>> up-to-date and yet have cross-application consistency. If it could be
    >>>> done then a distro would be doing it... I know of none which come
    >>>> closer than Ubuntu and it still has a long way to go.
    >>>>
    >>>>> And therein lies the problem *and* the solution to all of the
    >>>>> "distro-hell" we see bandied around the place.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On one hand....
    >>>>> Oooh. I don't like the Gui of distro x Mmmm..... Well try disto y
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On the other...
    >>>>> I'm confused. Should I use distro x, distro y or distro z? Mmmm.... I
    >>>>> don't know. I don't tie your shoelaces. Try them and find out.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So. Does "distro-hell" actually exist? Or is it simply the response
    >>>>> of a person (or team of persons) trying to offer user choice.
    >>>>
    >>>> My concern is with the lack of choice.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Let's not forget that the vast majority of the software is a
    >>>>> "package" and is available cross distribution. The distribution is
    >>>>> simply the wrapping paper.
    >>>>
    >>>> Hence a part of the problem I speak of. Correct.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Too many distro's? Nah. All that says is that people want to limit
    >>>>> choice. Sorry. That's not acceptable. Choice is necessary for growth.
    >>>>> It offers benchmarks that others can work towards attaining and
    >>>>> surpassing.
    >>>>
    >>>> At some point it will be feasible to make a desktop Linux distro with
    >>>> much, much better consistency across its UI / user experience - and
    >>>> when that happens I welcome that choice. Currently such choice is not
    >>>> available.
    >>>>
    >>>>>> You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my
    >>>>>> primary OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I
    >>>>>> hated Linux. You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling.
    >>>>>> I find that a shame.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You *are* posting from windows.
    >>>>
    >>>> No, I am not. You are simply mistaken (or, perhaps, lying).
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use windows for a few tasks. I don't actually mind it. The
    >>>>> computing world has benefited from its existance. However, the
    >>>>> development of Linux is simply evolution. It is no bad thing. It is
    >>>>> improving no end.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    >>>>> warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    >>>>> stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    >>>>> It's just petty bull****.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    >>>>> contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    >>>>> Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers". The whole of
    >>>>> COLA would reside in Ark B.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In conclusion:
    >>>>> Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    >>>>> dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive
    >>>>> input"?
    >>>>
    >>>> You went quite off topic there!
    >>>
    >>> I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    >>> walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for
    >>> the mighty Ubuntu.

    >>
    >> Your comments are on the level of Ricks, but yours are even more crude.
    >> Amazing.

    >
    > Say something worthy of a decent reply and you'll get it.


    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    Q6mdnRYnBfOW-mPanZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@bt.com on 4/10/08 12:14 PM:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:45:46 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    >> h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Moog" stated in post
    >>>> 660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net on 4/7/08 10:18 PM:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Snit illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    >>>>>> Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with
    >>>>>> the distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing
    >>>>>> out on things other distros do better - such as the better graphical
    >>>>>> design of PCLOS.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel?
    >>>>> Change it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't
    >>>>> like Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as
    >>>>> OpenGeu that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.
    >>>>
    >>>> Lovely but irrelevant to the point... and also not really true. There
    >>>> is no realistic way, for example, for the general user (or even a
    >>>> small team of programmers) to customize a desktop Linux distro to be
    >>>> up-to-date and yet have cross-application consistency. If it could be
    >>>> done then a distro would be doing it... I know of none which come
    >>>> closer than Ubuntu and it still has a long way to go.
    >>>>
    >>>>> And therein lies the problem *and* the solution to all of the
    >>>>> "distro-hell" we see bandied around the place.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On one hand....
    >>>>> Oooh. I don't like the Gui of distro x Mmmm..... Well try disto y
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On the other...
    >>>>> I'm confused. Should I use distro x, distro y or distro z? Mmmm.... I
    >>>>> don't know. I don't tie your shoelaces. Try them and find out.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So. Does "distro-hell" actually exist? Or is it simply the response
    >>>>> of a person (or team of persons) trying to offer user choice.
    >>>>
    >>>> My concern is with the lack of choice.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Let's not forget that the vast majority of the software is a
    >>>>> "package" and is available cross distribution. The distribution is
    >>>>> simply the wrapping paper.
    >>>>
    >>>> Hence a part of the problem I speak of. Correct.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Too many distro's? Nah. All that says is that people want to limit
    >>>>> choice. Sorry. That's not acceptable. Choice is necessary for growth.
    >>>>> It offers benchmarks that others can work towards attaining and
    >>>>> surpassing.
    >>>>
    >>>> At some point it will be feasible to make a desktop Linux distro with
    >>>> much, much better consistency across its UI / user experience - and
    >>>> when that happens I welcome that choice. Currently such choice is not
    >>>> available.
    >>>>
    >>>>>> You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my
    >>>>>> primary OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I
    >>>>>> hated Linux. You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling.
    >>>>>> I find that a shame.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You *are* posting from windows.
    >>>>
    >>>> No, I am not. You are simply mistaken (or, perhaps, lying).
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use windows for a few tasks. I don't actually mind it. The
    >>>>> computing world has benefited from its existance. However, the
    >>>>> development of Linux is simply evolution. It is no bad thing. It is
    >>>>> improving no end.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    >>>>> warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    >>>>> stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    >>>>> It's just petty bull****.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    >>>>> contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    >>>>> Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers". The whole of
    >>>>> COLA would reside in Ark B.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In conclusion:
    >>>>> Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    >>>>> dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive
    >>>>> input"?
    >>>>
    >>>> You went quite off topic there!
    >>>
    >>> I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    >>> walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for
    >>> the mighty Ubuntu.

    >>
    >> Your comments are on the level of Ricks, but yours are even more crude.
    >> Amazing.

    >
    > Say something worthy of a decent reply and you'll get it.


    I noted a response was off topic and also noted that the claim I was posting
    from Windows was inaccurate... and it was. Do not blame me for your poor
    behavior.


    --
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    --Aldous Huxley


  3. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.


    "Moog" wrote in message
    news:660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net...


    > Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel? Change
    > it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't like
    > Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as OpenGeu
    > that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.
    >

    As is every operating system. Why don't you say something people don't know.



  4. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-10, ysdywmf wrote:
    >
    > "Moog" wrote in message
    > news:660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net...
    >
    >
    >> Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel? Change
    >> it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't like
    >> Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as OpenGeu
    >> that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.
    >>

    > As is every operating system. Why don't you say something people don't know.


    Not really.

    The early attempts at replacement window managers for Windows made
    this painfully obvious. Some systems are designed from the ground up
    to be modular and others aren't.

    Don't even get me started about virtual desktop managers for Windows.
    Those vary from "almost but not quite there" to just downright horrid. The
    Microsoft one falls in that latter category.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:46:54 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    > Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the
    > distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on
    > things other distros do better - such as the better graphical design of
    > PCLOS.
    >


    I think I'll "suffer" these UI weaknesses and let the Windows people keep
    their weaknesses like Spyware, viruses and Microsoft's incompetence.

  6. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    O8adncwyR6POA53VnZ2dnUVZ8tjinZ2d@bt.com on 4/12/08 4:34 AM:

    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:46:54 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    >> Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the
    >> distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on
    >> things other distros do better - such as the better graphical design of
    >> PCLOS.
    >>

    >
    > I think I'll "suffer" these UI weaknesses and let the Windows people keep
    > their weaknesses like Spyware, viruses and Microsoft's incompetence.


    Fair enough - use what you like. I prefer an OS that suffers from neither
    problem... and would like to see Linux on the desktop gain both strengths as
    well (it already has one!)


    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay


  7. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Frank Stallone wrote:

    > I think I'll "suffer" these UI weaknesses and let the Windows people keep
    > their weaknesses like Spyware, viruses and Microsoft's incompetence.


    Ditto.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:

    > Fair enough - use what you like. *I prefer an OS that suffers from neither
    > problem... and would like to see Linux on the desktop gain both strengths
    > as well (it already has one!)


    Then write your own or shut the hell up.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Frank Stallone wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:46:54 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    >> Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the
    >> distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out
    >> on things other distros do better - such as the better graphical
    >> design of PCLOS.
    >>

    >
    > I think I'll "suffer" these UI weaknesses and let the Windows people
    > keep their weaknesses like Spyware, viruses and Microsoft's
    > incompetence.


    Obviously, Windows users are quite a bit smarter than you. They don't
    experience those problems like you must because they know how to properly
    set their systems up.



  10. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:01:05 -0700, chrisv wrote:
    > Frank Stallone wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:46:54 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop
    >>> Linux, namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the
    >>> distro that handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out
    >>> on things other distros do better - such as the better graphica
    >>> design of PCLOS.

    >>
    >> I think I'll "suffer" these UI weaknesses and let the Windows people
    >> keep their weaknesses like Spyware, viruses and Microsoft's
    >> incompetence.

    >
    > Obviously, Windows users are quite a bit smarter than you. They don't
    > experience those problems like you must because they know how to
    > properly set their systems up.


    Message-ID: <035c6056$0$27315$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 21d03da4.news.astraweb.com
    Organization: Unlimited download news at news.astraweb.com
    X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180

    Nym-thief perp again steals chrisv's nym, really sad ....

    --
    HPT

  11. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release -- Vista ME

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Hadron quote] Once more for the hard of brain power : I use
    >>> testing. Not unstable. And I use it for a reason - Debian
    >>> Stable is simply too buggy and backward and I cant be arsed
    >>> to manage pinning or selectively monitoring backports.
    >>> [/Hadron quote]

    >>
    >> Hadron doesn't want Linux to work -- so he finds ways to make
    >> it *not* work for him. You've got to give him a little credit,
    >> something like that is not that easy to do.

    >
    > It is, if someone is paying you to do it, IMHO. It's all a part
    > of his, *ahem*, their agenda.


    62 pages of a thread relating to Ubuntu freezing doesn't exactly back up
    the claim that screwing up Linux isn't easy to do.



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release -- Vista ME

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:34:46 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:


    > It is all a part of their evangelistic jihad:


    We already know that...
    So what is it that makes you Linux zealots so afraid of Microsoft?

    Even by your own words Microsoft is going bankrupt, has no products that
    people are interested int and so forth.

    So why the fear?


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release -- Vista ME

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:38:52 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > We already know that...
    > So what is it that makes you Linux zealots so afraid of Microsoft?
    >
    > Even by your own words Microsoft is going bankrupt, has no products that
    > people are interested int and so forth.
    >
    > So why the fear?


    I can't speak for everyone else but the fact is Microsoft would like to
    control every aspect of information is very bad and unhealthy.

    If they had their way all electronic data would be in a Microsoft format,
    passed through Microsoft computers onto either Windows desktop, Xbox 360,
    Windows based mobile phone or Microsoft media device or even in your car
    which run windows.

    What is scary is that people don't seem to have a problem with one
    company controlling everything they do with technology. In fact most
    simpletons welcome it.

    People wouldn't want one government with an unelectable leader or one
    religion or even one TV station but their complete ignorance about
    computer means they're more than happy to give Microsoft control of
    everything.

    It's not even a case of whether or not Bill Gates is Satan. It's the fact
    they don't try hard to make quality stuff now. Just think how bad it
    would be if they had even more control? I don't think it's a coincidence
    that any cash point or train ticket terminal I've ever seen crashed is
    Win2k or XP based.

    I for one don't want to trust my data to a company that shows little to
    no regard for securing it.

    Finally if Microsoft was the "master of all" where would they get their
    ideas from? Apple alone is responsible for any GUI innovation they ever
    had.

    So answer this, if Microsoft is so great why can't they compete on a
    level playing field? Why do they have to stack the deck in their favour?

    I think it says a lot when Macs gain in popularity even if only by a
    small amount. How **** does your OS have to be if people are more willing
    to buy something over priced by a fair margin?

  14. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release -- Vista ME



    "Frank Stallone" wrote in message
    news:bK6dnc5WjprpfZzVnZ2dnUVZ8sfinZ2d@bt.com...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:38:52 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> We already know that...
    >> So what is it that makes you Linux zealots so afraid of Microsoft?
    >>
    >> Even by your own words Microsoft is going bankrupt, has no products that
    >> people are interested int and so forth.
    >>
    >> So why the fear?

    >
    > I can't speak for everyone else but the fact is Microsoft would like to
    > control every aspect of information is very bad and unhealthy.
    >
    > If they had their way all electronic data would be in a Microsoft format,
    > passed through Microsoft computers onto either Windows desktop, Xbox 360,
    > Windows based mobile phone or Microsoft media device or even in your car
    > which run windows.


    Most of it is even with OO users, what's the problem?

    >
    > What is scary is that people don't seem to have a problem with one
    > company controlling everything they do with technology. In fact most
    > simpletons welcome it.


    Which company would that be?

    > People wouldn't want one government with an unelectable leader or one
    > religion or even one TV station but their complete ignorance about
    > computer means they're more than happy to give Microsoft control of
    > everything.
    >
    > It's not even a case of whether or not Bill Gates is Satan. It's the fact
    > they don't try hard to make quality stuff now. Just think how bad it
    > would be if they had even more control? I don't think it's a coincidence
    > that any cash point or train ticket terminal I've ever seen crashed is
    > Win2k or XP based.


    What that shows is that even though nearly all the cash machines are running
    windows they seldom crash.
    There are tens of thousands and I have only ever seen one blue screen and a
    maintenance guy was working on it so he may have done it.

    > I for one don't want to trust my data to a company that shows little to
    > no regard for securing it.


    That is not M$ job.
    Do you really trust linux to do it any better?
    Its your job to control your data's security.

    >
    > Finally if Microsoft was the "master of all" where would they get their
    > ideas from? Apple alone is responsible for any GUI innovation they ever
    > had.


    Like right click context menus?

    >
    > So answer this, if Microsoft is so great why can't they compete on a
    > level playing field? Why do they have to stack the deck in their favour?
    >
    > I think it says a lot when Macs gain in popularity even if only by a
    > small amount. How **** does your OS have to be if people are more willing
    > to buy something over priced by a fair margin?


    People are buying Macs now because they also run windows.
    Isn't that obvious?
    Get Apple to migrate back to powerPC and watch the sales fall.


  15. Re: Yet Another Dud Windows Release -- Vista ME

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:27:29 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Frank Stallone" wrote in message
    > news:bK6dnc5WjprpfZzVnZ2dnUVZ8sfinZ2d@bt.com...
    >> I can't speak for everyone else but the fact is Microsoft would like to
    >> control every aspect of information is very bad and unhealthy.
    >>
    >> If they had their way all electronic data would be in a Microsoft
    >> format, passed through Microsoft computers onto either Windows desktop,
    >> Xbox 360, Windows based mobile phone or Microsoft media device or even
    >> in your car which run windows.

    >
    > Most of it is even with OO users, what's the problem?
    >


    Notice I said "If they had their way" meaning they don't have things
    exactly how they want now. If they don't want to control everything they
    why grow into a bloated company that has to come up with a Microsoft
    alternative to everything instead of simply making it easier for other
    products to work with Windows?

    >
    >> What is scary is that people don't seem to have a problem with one
    >> company controlling everything they do with technology. In fact most
    >> simpletons welcome it.

    >
    > Which company would that be?
    >

    No need to be an ass.

    >> People wouldn't want one government with an unelectable leader or one
    >> religion or even one TV station but their complete ignorance about
    >> computer means they're more than happy to give Microsoft control of
    >> everything.
    >>
    >> It's not even a case of whether or not Bill Gates is Satan. It's the
    >> fact they don't try hard to make quality stuff now. Just think how bad
    >> it would be if they had even more control? I don't think it's a
    >> coincidence that any cash point or train ticket terminal I've ever seen
    >> crashed is Win2k or XP based.

    >
    > What that shows is that even though nearly all the cash machines are
    > running windows they seldom crash.
    > There are tens of thousands and I have only ever seen one blue screen
    > and a maintenance guy was working on it so he may have done it.
    >

    And I take it you camp outside all cash points to keep stats on them?
    I've seen two HSBC cash points crashed with Win2k. The ticket machine at
    the rail station seemed to crashed in the middle of a reboot of XP and
    I've seen a quiz machine at a pub that crashed and gave you some access
    to the OS. Unfortunately you couldn't tab around to get into the good
    bits.

    Fact is Microsoft doesn't have the same quality other companies *may*
    have because they don't have to. What repercussion was there to making an
    abysmal OS like Windows ME? About the only thing that came out of that is
    they probably sold more copies of XP faster than expected.

    >> I for one don't want to trust my data to a company that shows little to
    >> no regard for securing it.

    >
    > That is not M$ job.
    > Do you really trust linux to do it any better? Its your job to control
    > your data's security.
    >


    While it is not totally MS' job to baby you and secure your data they
    shouldn't leave their own software full of holes.

    After all this is a company that claims the reason behind UAC is purely
    to annoy customers.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...curity-prompt-
    was-designed-to-annoy-you.html

    That is bad usability and there are much better ways to protect users and
    force developers to do things a certain way.

    Linux is, with out a doubt, more secure. It's not perfect. You can't have
    a 100% full proof method of protection without affecting usability but
    it's nice to actually aim for something better than acceptable.
    >
    >> Finally if Microsoft was the "master of all" where would they get their
    >> ideas from? Apple alone is responsible for any GUI innovation they ever
    >> had.

    >
    > Like right click context menus?
    >

    Microsoft did not invent the mouse or contextual menus. I wouldn't call
    binding a feature to a mouse button an innovation and, to be fair, even
    if you want to give them that. That is very minor and doesn't make up for
    completely ripping off OSX.

    >> So answer this, if Microsoft is so great why can't they compete on a
    >> level playing field? Why do they have to stack the deck in their
    >> favour?
    >>
    >> I think it says a lot when Macs gain in popularity even if only by a
    >> small amount. How **** does your OS have to be if people are more
    >> willing to buy something over priced by a fair margin?

    >
    > People are buying Macs now because they also run windows. Isn't that
    > obvious?
    > Get Apple to migrate back to powerPC and watch the sales fall.


    Yeah because I know I'd want to pay nearly twice as much for a Mac that
    may not even be upgradable just so I can run Windows on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7