Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu ; "caver1" stated in post 47fa51bd$0$11299$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 9:54 AM: >>> My reply was to Hadron. >> >> Correct. >> >>> Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready >>> for the desktop. That's why I am using Linux. ...

  1. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa51bd$0$11299$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 9:54 AM:

    >>> My reply was to Hadron.

    >> Correct.
    >>
    >>> Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready
    >>> for the desktop. That's why I am using Linux.

    >> And yet you claim that in order to get Linux to have good looks,
    >> consistency, well thought out organization, etc., I need to make my own
    >> distro or alter one.

    > If your so stupid you can't think for yourself.

    I am not... nor am I interested in off-topic insults. If that is what you
    are looking for I suggest you speak with someone else.

    >>> No goal posts moved. Not everyone wants the looks of Ubuntu. Some hate
    >>> it. I think Ubuntu has a good organization, some such as you think not.
    >>> And yes looks is in the eye of the beholder.
    >>> Your wants are different than someone else's. If you want to do the
    >>> dance that's your prerogative. I did not tell you to do it.
    >>> If you like whatever distro then use that one, help that one. But don't
    >>> complain about Linux in general because you don't like some of the
    >>> distros.

    >> The problem is throughout the distros - not tied to one.

    > Then if you hate it so much why are you here?

    Hate? Hate what? Again you seem lost. Of the Linux distros I prefer
    Ubuntu - while PCLOS and others are better organized and have a far more
    professional look, Ubuntu is the distro that is most focused on consistency
    and general user issues. I think it has done more good for Linux than any
    other distro in a long time.

    >>> Or as you stated above- "I should do the distro dance and when that
    >>> fails make my own or just improve on others."
    >>> Yes help improve and quit complaining that someone else wants to build
    >>> their own to satisfy their needs. You don't have to use theirs so why
    >>> complain.
    >>> Not everyone agree on what common sense is and from the looks of it I
    >>> don't think you use much.

    >> It is common sense to want general consistency, well thought out
    >> organization, and a decent look designed by a pro.

    > True, and there is general consistency within the distros that I have
    > tried.

    I have shown you where both PCLOS and Ubuntu are far off that mark (though
    Ubuntu at least makes an attempt!)

    > Not perfect but improving all the time.

    Agreed.

    > Personally I like the
    > look of several of them. Or you can even change it yourself. Or have
    > someone else do it for you.
    > Even my Mom told me to quit coming crying to her if I couldn't learn to
    > not do what was hurting me. And that was from a pro. If you don't like
    > a distro don't use it.

    Who said anything about liking or disliking? And why talk about your mom?

    > If someone else put something out there it is out of the kindness of
    > his/her heart hoping someone else out there likes it or can get benefit
    > out of it. No one holds a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

    Of course not. You sure go off topic a lot.

    --
    When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
    When God changes your mind, that's faith.

  2. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit writes:

    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa51bd$0$11299$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 9:54 AM:

    >>> Correct.

    >>> And yet you claim that in order to get Linux to have good looks,
    >>> consistency, well thought out organization, etc., I need to make my own
    >>> distro or alter one.

    >> If your so stupid you can't think for yourself.

    > I am not... nor am I interested in off-topic insults. If that is what you
    > are looking for I suggest you speak with someone else.

    I didn't think it would take caver1 long for his obvious ignorance about
    what is being discussed to convert itself into personal attacks.

    >>> The problem is throughout the distros - not tied to one.

    >> Then if you hate it so much why are you here?

    Sigh. It's like Rick all over again.

    > Hate? Hate what? Again you seem lost. Of the Linux distros I prefer
    > Ubuntu - while PCLOS and others are better organized and have a far more
    > professional look, Ubuntu is the distro that is most focused on consistency
    > and general user issues. I think it has done more good for Linux than any
    > other distro in a long time.

    Sad isn't it? He sees constructive criticism and a desire to see things
    improve as "hatred". What is wrong with these COLA "advocates"?

    >>> It is common sense to want general consistency, well thought out
    >>> organization, and a decent look designed by a pro.

    >> True, and there is general consistency within the distros that I have
    >> tried.

    LOL. Blind as well as in denial.

    > I have shown you where both PCLOS and Ubuntu are far off that mark (though
    > Ubuntu at least makes an attempt!)
    >
    >> Not perfect but improving all the time.

    > Agreed.
    >
    >> Personally I like the
    >> look of several of them. Or you can even change it yourself. Or have
    >> someone else do it for you.
    >> Even my Mom told me to quit coming crying to her if I couldn't learn to
    >> not do what was hurting me. And that was from a pro. If you don't like
    >> a distro don't use it.

    Your Mum is a pro? Whatever that means.

    > Who said anything about liking or disliking? And why talk about your
    > mom?

    Strange isn't it?

    >> If someone else put something out there it is out of the kindness of
    >> his/her heart hoping someone else out there likes it or can get benefit
    >> out of it. No one holds a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

    Whoever said you did? The point is whether its a good idea to release
    more garbage "out of the kindness of your heart". If I allowed a dog to
    do its "doggy things" on your doorstep out of the "kindness of my
    heart" would you be grateful?

    > Of course not. You sure go off topic a lot.

    I'm not sure he understands what the message is here. I think Rick might
    have got it earlier than caver1.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

  3. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Hadron" stated in post
    ftdlad$eg0$2@registered.motzarella.org on 4/7/08 10:23 AM:

    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa51bd$0$11299$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 9:54 AM:

    >>> If your so stupid you can't think for yourself.

    >> I am not... nor am I interested in off-topic insults. If that is what you
    >> are looking for I suggest you speak with someone else.

    > I didn't think it would take caver1 long for his obvious ignorance about
    > what is being discussed to convert itself into personal attacks.

    Sadly you seem to be correct.

    >>> Then if you hate it so much why are you here?

    > Sigh. It's like Rick all over again.

    Well, I think Rick was even less coherent.

    >> Hate? Hate what? Again you seem lost. Of the Linux distros I prefer
    >> Ubuntu - while PCLOS and others are better organized and have a far more
    >> professional look, Ubuntu is the distro that is most focused on consistency
    >> and general user issues. I think it has done more good for Linux than any
    >> other distro in a long time.

    > Sad isn't it? He sees constructive criticism and a desire to see things
    > improve as "hatred". What is wrong with these COLA "advocates"?

    Do you want the alphabetical or chronological list?

    >>> True, and there is general consistency within the distros that I have
    >>> tried.

    > LOL. Blind as well as in denial.

    Images and videos are not strong enough support.

    >> I have shown you where both PCLOS and Ubuntu are far off that mark (though
    >> Ubuntu at least makes an attempt!)
    >>
    >>> Not perfect but improving all the time.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >>> Personally I like the
    >>> look of several of them. Or you can even change it yourself. Or have
    >>> someone else do it for you.
    >>> Even my Mom told me to quit coming crying to her if I couldn't learn to
    >>> not do what was hurting me. And that was from a pro. If you don't like
    >>> a distro don't use it.

    > Your Mum is a pro? Whatever that means.
    >

    >> Who said anything about liking or disliking? And why talk about your
    >> mom?

    > Strange isn't it?

    Very.

    >>> If someone else put something out there it is out of the kindness of
    >>> his/her heart hoping someone else out there likes it or can get benefit
    >>> out of it. No one holds a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

    > Whoever said you did? The point is whether its a good idea to release
    > more garbage "out of the kindness of your heart". If I allowed a dog to
    > do its "doggy things" on your doorstep out of the "kindness of my
    > heart" would you be grateful?
    >

    >> Of course not. You sure go off topic a lot.

    > I'm not sure he understands what the message is here. I think Rick might
    > have got it earlier than caver1.

    Not sure about that!

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  4. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron wrote:
    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa51bd$0$11299$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 9:54 AM:

    >>> If your so stupid you can't think for yourself.

    >> I am not... nor am I interested in off-topic insults. If that is what you
    >> are looking for I suggest you speak with someone else.

    > I didn't think it would take caver1 long for his obvious ignorance about
    > what is being discussed to convert itself into personal attacks.

    >>> Then if you hate it so much why are you here?

    > Sigh. It's like Rick all over again.
    >
    >> Hate? Hate what? Again you seem lost. Of the Linux distros I prefer
    >> Ubuntu - while PCLOS and others are better organized and have a far more
    >> professional look, Ubuntu is the distro that is most focused on consistency
    >> and general user issues. I think it has done more good for Linux than any
    >> other distro in a long time.

    > Sad isn't it? He sees constructive criticism and a desire to see things
    > improve as "hatred". What is wrong with these COLA "advocates"?

    >>> True, and there is general consistency within the distros that I have
    >>> tried.

    > LOL. Blind as well as in denial.
    >
    >> I have shown you where both PCLOS and Ubuntu are far off that mark (though
    >> Ubuntu at least makes an attempt!)
    >>
    >>> Not perfect but improving all the time.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >>> Personally I like the
    >>> look of several of them. Or you can even change it yourself. Or have
    >>> someone else do it for you.
    >>> Even my Mom told me to quit coming crying to her if I couldn't learn to
    >>> not do what was hurting me. And that was from a pro. If you don't like
    >>> a distro don't use it.

    > Your Mum is a pro? Whatever that means.
    >
    >> Who said anything about liking or disliking? And why talk about your
    >> mom?

    > Strange isn't it?
    >
    >>> If someone else put something out there it is out of the kindness of
    >>> his/her heart hoping someone else out there likes it or can get benefit
    >>> out of it. No one holds a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

    > Whoever said you did? The point is whether its a good idea to release
    > more garbage "out of the kindness of your heart". If I allowed a dog to
    > do its "doggy things" on your doorstep out of the "kindness of my
    > heart" would you be grateful?
    >
    >> Of course not. You sure go off topic a lot.

    > I'm not sure he understands what the message is here. I think Rick might
    > have got it earlier than caver1.

    Tell me where one of the duds that I don't even use hurts me. You
    complain about someone making another Tetris game. So what? What does
    that have to do with an OS. Yes there are a lot of Tetris games. But
    there is also in other OS's.
    As far as calling names I believe you started that long before I.
    How many more car makes do we need? So then the Tesla shouldn't be made,
    or maybe the Delorian? If they are not viable they will die out. But why
    stop anyone from trying? Or should we get your approval before we do
    anything. Maybe there should be a committee to decide who gets to have
    kids. After all there sure are a lot of bad ones out there, ugly ones too.
    And in your vein of keeping an argument befuddled, what does dog****
    have to do with this thread?
    Lets say you are right Hadron. Who gets to decide whats in the program? You?
    Seems to me there are a lot more here that disagree with you than not.
    caver1

  5. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa88c0$0$17328$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 1:49 PM:

    >> I'm not sure he understands what the message is here. I think Rick might
    >> have got it earlier than caver1.
    >>

    > Tell me where one of the duds that I don't even use hurts me.

    Other than the fact that you find it hard to stay on topic or follow a
    thought it is not really possible to know where you have been "hurt".

    > You
    > complain about someone making another Tetris game. So what? What does
    > that have to do with an OS. Yes there are a lot of Tetris games. But
    > there is also in other OS's.
    > As far as calling names I believe you started that long before I.

    You called me names. I certainly did not start that between you and I - nor
    have I returned the "favor".

    > How many more car makes do we need? So then the Tesla shouldn't be made,
    > or maybe the Delorian? If they are not viable they will die out. But why
    > stop anyone from trying? Or should we get your approval before we do
    > anything. Maybe there should be a committee to decide who gets to have
    > kids. After all there sure are a lot of bad ones out there, ugly ones too.
    > And in your vein of keeping an argument befuddled, what does dog****
    > have to do with this thread?

    See how you keep jumping to the idea of people being forced. Why?

    > Lets say you are right Hadron. Who gets to decide whats in the program? You?
    > Seems to me there are a lot more here that disagree with you than not.

    You left the topic behind long ago. Why?

    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond

  6. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    o you want the alphabetical or chronological list?

    >> LOL. Blind as well as in denial.

    > Images and videos are not strong enough support.

    I can show you problems on machines that I have had that many others didn't.
    I agreed that there was a better way to copy and paste. It also didn't
    take me long to figure out not to close a program that I was copying
    from until I had pasted. Then I went looking for an answer-glipper.
    not perfect but better.
    As far as the problems with PclinuxOs I can't address them as I don't
    use it because I don't like it. But you don't here me badmouthing all of
    Linux because of that. So you showed me something how do I know you
    didn't doctor it to show what you want. As popular as PcLinuxOs is the
    majority don't have that problem. And what does Dud Distro have to do
    with that problem in PcLinuxOs?
    Being that the improvements greatly out weigh most of the problems give
    them praise. It will change as time continues.
    caver1

  7. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa88c0$0$17328$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 1:49 PM:

    >>> I'm not sure he understands what the message is here. I think Rick might
    >>> have got it earlier than caver1.
    >>>

    >> Tell me where one of the duds that I don't even use hurts me.

    > Other than the fact that you find it hard to stay on topic or follow a
    > thought it is not really possible to know where you have been "hurt".
    >
    >> You
    >> complain about someone making another Tetris game. So what? What does
    >> that have to do with an OS. Yes there are a lot of Tetris games. But
    >> there is also in other OS's.
    >> As far as calling names I believe you started that long before I.

    > You called me names. I certainly did not start that between you and I - nor
    > have I returned the "favor".

    you really answered that one. You'd make a fine politician.

    >> How many more car makes do we need? So then the Tesla shouldn't be made,
    >> or maybe the Delorian? If they are not viable they will die out. But why
    >> stop anyone from trying? Or should we get your approval before we do
    >> anything. Maybe there should be a committee to decide who gets to have
    >> kids. After all there sure are a lot of bad ones out there, ugly ones too.
    >> And in your vein of keeping an argument befuddled, what does dog****
    >> have to do with this thread?

    > See how you keep jumping to the idea of people being forced. Why?

    Where did anyone say force in the above?

    >> Lets say you are right Hadron. Who gets to decide whats in the program? You?
    >> Seems to me there are a lot more here that disagree with you than not.

    > You left the topic behind long ago. Why?

    IN your esteemed mind just what is the topic that you jumped into?

    caver1

  8. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa901e$0$17360$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 2:20 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa88c0$0$17328$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 1:49 PM:

    >>> Tell me where one of the duds that I don't even use hurts me.

    >> Other than the fact that you find it hard to stay on topic or follow a
    >> thought it is not really possible to know where you have been "hurt".
    >>
    >>> You
    >>> complain about someone making another Tetris game. So what? What does
    >>> that have to do with an OS. Yes there are a lot of Tetris games. But
    >>> there is also in other OS's.
    >>> As far as calling names I believe you started that long before I.

    >> You called me names. I certainly did not start that between you and I - nor
    >> have I returned the "favor".

    > you really answered that one. You'd make a fine politician.

    I noted that you have been calling me names and I have not sunk to your
    level. That is truth. Deal with it and let it go - I prefer to talk about
    Linux.

    >>> How many more car makes do we need? So then the Tesla shouldn't be made,
    >>> or maybe the Delorian? If they are not viable they will die out. But why
    >>> stop anyone from trying? Or should we get your approval before we do
    >>> anything. Maybe there should be a committee to decide who gets to have
    >>> kids. After all there sure are a lot of bad ones out there, ugly ones too.
    >>> And in your vein of keeping an argument befuddled, what does dog****
    >>> have to do with this thread?

    >> See how you keep jumping to the idea of people being forced. Why?

    > Where did anyone say force in the above?

    You talked about stopping people and about the need to get approval, etc.
    Why?

    >>> Lets say you are right Hadron. Who gets to decide whats in the program? You?
    >>> Seems to me there are a lot more here that disagree with you than not.

    >> You left the topic behind long ago. Why?
    >>

    > IN your esteemed mind just what is the topic that you jumped into?

    You simply are not willing to talk about the weaknesses of desktop Linux.
    Oh well.

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa901e$0$17360$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 2:20 PM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "caver1" stated in post
    >>> 47fa88c0$0$17328$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 1:49 PM:

    >>> Other than the fact that you find it hard to stay on topic or follow a
    >>> thought it is not really possible to know where you have been "hurt".

    >>> You called me names. I certainly did not start that between you and I - nor
    >>> have I returned the "favor".

    >> you really answered that one. You'd make a fine politician.

    > I noted that you have been calling me names and I have not sunk to your
    > level. That is truth. Deal with it and let it go - I prefer to talk about
    > Linux.

    >>> See how you keep jumping to the idea of people being forced. Why?

    >> Where did anyone say force in the above?

    > You talked about stopping people and about the need to get approval, etc.
    > Why?

    >>> You left the topic behind long ago. Why?
    >>>

    >> IN your esteemed mind just what is the topic that you jumped into?

    > You simply are not willing to talk about the weaknesses of desktop Linux.
    > Oh well.

    There is no problem about talking about weaknesses. But the way the
    thread turn was against Linux in general which is no good. Notice Hadron
    backed out and you try to change the subject when it doesn't go your way.
    caver1

  10. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fac251$0$17354$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:54 PM:

    >> You simply are not willing to talk about the weaknesses of desktop Linux.
    >> Oh well.
    >>

    > There is no problem about talking about weaknesses. But the way the
    > thread turn was against Linux in general which is no good. Notice Hadron
    > backed out and you try to change the subject when it doesn't go your way.

    I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.

    You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    shame.

    To be fair I can understand, to some extent, your erroneous assumptions:
    there are those who come to the OS-based groups and try to stir up
    discontent. While I do not shy away from controversial issues and do not
    pretend any OS is as flawless as many of the "advocates" claim, I prefer
    when discussions lead to mutual learning and respect. I note some of your
    less stellar moments, above, but you also handled *my* mistake of referring
    to the clipboard replacement incorrectly (a rather silly mistake given your
    reference to it was right above mine!) You did not sink to trolling me over
    that as many others in Usenet would.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  11. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit writes:

    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fac251$0$17354$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:54 PM:
    >
    >>> You simply are not willing to talk about the weaknesses of desktop Linux.
    >>> Oh well.
    >>>

    >> There is no problem about talking about weaknesses. But the way the
    >> thread turn was against Linux in general which is no good. Notice Hadron
    >> backed out and you try to change the subject when it doesn't go your
    >> way.

    Backed out? I gave up when it became apparent you didn't have a clue
    what we were discussing - namely the inherent weaknesses in the OSS
    model in causing fragmentation across the various Linux desktops and so
    on. No one is held to account so there is no quality control.

    > I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    > namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    > handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    > distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.
    >
    > You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    > OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    > You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    > shame.
    >
    > To be fair I can understand, to some extent, your erroneous assumptions:
    > there are those who come to the OS-based groups and try to stir up
    > discontent. While I do not shy away from controversial issues and do not
    > pretend any OS is as flawless as many of the "advocates" claim, I prefer
    > when discussions lead to mutual learning and respect. I note some of your
    > less stellar moments, above, but you also handled *my* mistake of referring
    > to the clipboard replacement incorrectly (a rather silly mistake given your
    > reference to it was right above mine!) You did not sink to trolling me over
    > that as many others in Usenet would.

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  12. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    caver1 wrote:

    > It is true that some distros do better than other distros at some things
    > and others not at all. But you can't stop them from trying. The weeds
    > will be rooted out.

    Snit's a troll and/or a crank. You'll soon get tired of his constant drip
    and killfile him.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fac251$0$17354$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:54 PM:
    >
    >>> You simply are not willing to talk about the weaknesses of desktop Linux.
    >>> Oh well.
    >>>

    >> There is no problem about talking about weaknesses. But the way the
    >> thread turn was against Linux in general which is no good. Notice Hadron
    >> backed out and you try to change the subject when it doesn't go your way.

    > I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    > namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    > handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    > distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.
    >
    > You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    > OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    > You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    > shame.
    >
    > To be fair I can understand, to some extent, your erroneous assumptions:
    > there are those who come to the OS-based groups and try to stir up
    > discontent. While I do not shy away from controversial issues and do not
    > pretend any OS is as flawless as many of the "advocates" claim, I prefer
    > when discussions lead to mutual learning and respect. I note some of your
    > less stellar moments, above, but you also handled *my* mistake of referring
    > to the clipboard replacement incorrectly (a rather silly mistake given your
    > reference to it was right above mine!) You did not sink to trolling me over
    > that as many others in Usenet would.

    The problem I have is similar to yours but the other side of the coin.
    I don't like those that are always finding fault. There is a place for
    both but either to excess is not good.
    You notice that the thread was taking one direction that Hadron likes
    when you stepped in.
    It is true that some distros do better than other distros at some things
    and others not at all. But you can't stop them from trying. The weeds
    will be rooted out.

  14. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fad645$0$17355$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 7:19 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fac251$0$17354$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:54 PM:

    >>> There is no problem about talking about weaknesses. But the way the
    >>> thread turn was against Linux in general which is no good. Notice Hadron
    >>> backed out and you try to change the subject when it doesn't go your way.

    >> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    >> namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    >> handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    >> distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.
    >>
    >> You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    >> OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    >> You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    >> shame.
    >>
    >> To be fair I can understand, to some extent, your erroneous assumptions:
    >> there are those who come to the OS-based groups and try to stir up
    >> discontent. While I do not shy away from controversial issues and do not
    >> pretend any OS is as flawless as many of the "advocates" claim, I prefer
    >> when discussions lead to mutual learning and respect. I note some of your
    >> less stellar moments, above, but you also handled *my* mistake of referring
    >> to the clipboard replacement incorrectly (a rather silly mistake given your
    >> reference to it was right above mine!) You did not sink to trolling me over
    >> that as many others in Usenet would.

    > The problem I have is similar to yours but the other side of the coin.
    > I don't like those that are always finding fault. There is a place for
    > both but either to excess is not good.

    Sure. Be aware that I hand out Linux CDs fairly regularly to high school
    and college students (I am a teacher) - and almost always Ubuntu. I very
    much appreciate Linux for what it is - a free OS that allows people to do a
    great deal.

    > You notice that the thread was taking one direction that Hadron likes
    > when you stepped in.
    > It is true that some distros do better than other distros at some things
    > and others not at all. But you can't stop them from trying. The weeds
    > will be rooted out.

    Things have gotten *much* better over the last few years and will likely
    continue to. My "pet peeve" with Linux is the lack of UI consistency - a
    weakness that does effect productivity, learning time, risks users data,
    etc. There are, of course, other areas in need of focus but we all have our
    own areas of interest.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  15. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    > namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    > handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    > distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.

    Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel? Change
    it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't like
    Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as OpenGeu
    that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.

    And therein lies the problem *and* the solution to all of the
    "distro-hell" we see bandied around the place.

    On one hand....
    Oooh. I don't like the Gui of distro x
    Mmmm.....
    Well try disto y

    On the other...
    I'm confused. Should I use distro x, distro y or distro z?
    Mmmm....
    I don't know. I don't tie your shoelaces. Try them and find out.

    So. Does "distro-hell" actually exist? Or is it simply the response of
    a person (or team of persons) trying to offer user choice. Let's not
    forget that the vast majority of the software is a "package" and is
    available cross distribution. The distribution is simply the
    wrapping paper.

    Too many distro's? Nah. All that says is that people want to limit
    choice. Sorry. That's not acceptable. Choice is necessary for growth.
    It offers benchmarks that others can work towards attaining and
    surpassing.

    > You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    > OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    > You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    > shame.

    You *are* posting from windows.

    I use windows for a few tasks. I don't actually mind it. The computing
    world has benefited from its existance. However, the development of
    Linux is simply evolution. It is no bad thing. It is improving no end.

    What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    It's just petty bull****.

    In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers".
    The whole of COLA would reside in Ark B.

    In conclusion:
    Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive
    input"?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  16. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Moog" stated in post 660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net
    on 4/7/08 10:18 PM:

    > Snit illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> I know my comments have been about some of the weaknesses of desktop Linux,
    >> namely that its UI is inconsistent and that if you go with the distro that
    >> handles this problem best (Ububtu) you end up losing out on things other
    >> distros do better - such as the better graphical design of PCLOS.

    > Linux is ultimately customisable. Don't like the look and feel? Change
    > it. Don't like particular window manager? Change it. Don't like
    > Standard Ubuntu? Change it. There are slight forks such as OpenGeu
    > that should satisfy the eye candy addicts.

    Lovely but irrelevant to the point... and also not really true. There is no
    realistic way, for example, for the general user (or even a small team of
    programmers) to customize a desktop Linux distro to be up-to-date and yet
    have cross-application consistency. If it could be done then a distro would
    be doing it... I know of none which come closer than Ubuntu and it still has
    a long way to go.

    > And therein lies the problem *and* the solution to all of the
    > "distro-hell" we see bandied around the place.
    >
    > On one hand....
    > Oooh. I don't like the Gui of distro x
    > Mmmm.....
    > Well try disto y
    >
    > On the other...
    > I'm confused. Should I use distro x, distro y or distro z?
    > Mmmm....
    > I don't know. I don't tie your shoelaces. Try them and find out.
    >
    > So. Does "distro-hell" actually exist? Or is it simply the response of
    > a person (or team of persons) trying to offer user choice.

    My concern is with the lack of choice.

    > Let's not forget that the vast majority of the software is a "package" and is
    > available cross distribution. The distribution is simply the wrapping paper.

    Hence a part of the problem I speak of. Correct.

    > Too many distro's? Nah. All that says is that people want to limit
    > choice. Sorry. That's not acceptable. Choice is necessary for growth.
    > It offers benchmarks that others can work towards attaining and
    > surpassing.

    At some point it will be feasible to make a desktop Linux distro with much,
    much better consistency across its UI / user experience - and when that
    happens I welcome that choice. Currently such choice is not available.

    >> You jumped to the conclusion that I am a Windows user (it is not my primary
    >> OS - I use it at home only in virtualization) and assumed I hated Linux.
    >> You even showed a bad side of yourself in name calling. I find that a
    >> shame.

    > You *are* posting from windows.

    No, I am not. You are simply mistaken (or, perhaps, lying).

    > I use windows for a few tasks. I don't actually mind it. The computing
    > world has benefited from its existance. However, the development of
    > Linux is simply evolution. It is no bad thing. It is improving no end.
    >
    > What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    > warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    > stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    > It's just petty bull****.
    >
    > In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    > contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    > Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers".
    > The whole of COLA would reside in Ark B.
    >
    > In conclusion:
    > Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    > dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive
    > input"?

    You went quite off topic there!

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote:

> [...]

    >> I use windows for a few tasks. I don't actually mind it. The computing
    >> world has benefited from its existance. However, the development of
    >> Linux is simply evolution. It is no bad thing. It is improving no end.
    >>
    >> What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    >> warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    >> stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    >> It's just petty bull****.
    >>
    >> In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    >> contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    >> Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers". The whole of
    >> COLA would reside in Ark B.
    >>
    >> In conclusion:
    >> Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    >> dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive

    I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for
    the mighty Ubuntu.

  18. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM:

> [...]

    >>> What I cannot stand is all this arguing for the sake of it. Usenet
    >>> warriors are pointless. I don't care if poster x things poster y is
    >>> stupid. I don't care if one poster thinks one operating system "sux".
    >>> It's just petty bull****.
    >>>
    >>> In the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, there were 3 arks. Ark A -
    >>> contained the "thinkers", Ark B contained the "Hairdressers and
    >>> Management Consultants", Ark C contained the "do-ers". The whole of
    >>> COLA would reside in Ark B.
    >>>
    >>> In conclusion:
    >>> Petty bickering is pointess. It is the pastime of the bored and the
    >>> dull. If you have something to offer, then why not make it a "postive
    >>> input"?

    >> You went quite off topic there!

    > I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    > walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for

    Your comments are on the level of Ricks, but yours are even more crude.
    Amazing.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  19. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit writes:

    > "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    > h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moog" stated in post
    >>> 660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net on 4/7/08 10:18 PM:

    >>> Lovely but irrelevant to the point... and also not really true. There
    >>> is no realistic way, for example, for the general user (or even a small
    >>> team of programmers) to customize a desktop Linux distro to be
    >>> up-to-date and yet have cross-application consistency. If it could be
    >>> done then a distro would be doing it... I know of none which come closer
    >>> than Ubuntu and it still has a long way to go.

    >>> My concern is with the lack of choice.

    >>> Hence a part of the problem I speak of. Correct.

    >>> At some point it will be feasible to make a desktop Linux distro with
    >>> much, much better consistency across its UI / user experience - and when
    >>> that happens I welcome that choice. Currently such choice is not
    >>> available.

    >>> No, I am not. You are simply mistaken (or, perhaps, lying).

    >>> You went quite off topic there!

    >> I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    >> walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for
    >> the mighty Ubuntu.

    > Your comments are on the level of Ricks, but yours are even more crude.
    > Amazing.

    Wait until the two mighty techs Spike1 and Gregory Shearman start. Their
    language as they get ripped to shreds would make a Billingsgate fish
    wife blush.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  20. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:45:46 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Frank Stallone" stated in post
    > h8qdna8JIfdxjGDaRVnyiQA@bt.com on 4/9/08 11:58 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:30:18 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moog" stated in post
    >>> 660dgaF2i9hduU1@mid.individual.net on 4/7/08 10:18 PM:

    >>> Lovely but irrelevant to the point... and also not really true. There
    >>> is no realistic way, for example, for the general user (or even a
    >>> small team of programmers) to customize a desktop Linux distro to be
    >>> up-to-date and yet have cross-application consistency. If it could be
    >>> done then a distro would be doing it... I know of none which come
    >>> closer than Ubuntu and it still has a long way to go.

    >>> My concern is with the lack of choice.

    >>> Hence a part of the problem I speak of. Correct.

    >>> At some point it will be feasible to make a desktop Linux distro with
    >>> much, much better consistency across its UI / user experience - and
    >>> when that happens I welcome that choice. Currently such choice is not
    >>> available.

    >>> No, I am not. You are simply mistaken (or, perhaps, lying).

    >>> You went quite off topic there!

    >> I ****ed your mom in the butt until she screamed Ubuntu and now she's
    >> walking around 20lbs heavier thanks to all the cum I pumped in her for
    >> the mighty Ubuntu.

    > Your comments are on the level of Ricks, but yours are even more crude.
    > Amazing.

    Say something worthy of a decent reply and you'll get it.