Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu ; Hadron wrote: > Snit writes: > >> "Hadron" stated in post >> ftb22k$e25$4@registered.motzarella.org on 4/6/08 10:42 AM: >> >>> caver1 writes: >>> >>>> Snit wrote: >>>>> "Rick" stated in post >>>>> SbOdnaFSgI5DRWXanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/6/08 7:06 AM: >>>>> >>>>>> On Sun, ...

  1. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron wrote:
    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron" stated in post
    >> ftb22k$e25$4@registered.motzarella.org on 4/6/08 10:42 AM:

    >>> Uh oh. Another crazy who doesn't actually realise what's being
    >>> suggested.
    >>>
    >>> Firstly we dont necessrily care about "everyone" - only the GREAT
    >>> majority. Secondly I am hard pressed to think of ANYONE who would not
    >>> want a better organized distro with a less fractured UI.

    >> COLA Linux Advocates.

    > The mind boggles as to "caver1"s mindset where he thinks it better to
    > keep a broken, fractured distro because a minority "might" want
    > it. Huh?!?!?!? I mean, I have heard some stupid things in my life but
    > this kind of mental thought process leaves me wondering just who these
    > people are.

    As I stated before Hardon. What's youyr favorite?
    caver1

  2. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "Hadron" stated in post
    > ftbdeo$2ro$2@registered.motzarella.org on 4/6/08 1:56 PM:
    >
    >> Snit writes:
    >>
    >>> "Hadron" stated in post
    >>> ftb22k$e25$4@registered.motzarella.org on 4/6/08 10:42 AM:

    >>> COLA Linux Advocates.

    >> The mind boggles as to "caver1"s mindset where he thinks it better to
    >> keep a broken, fractured distro because a minority "might" want
    >> it. Huh?!?!?!? I mean, I have heard some stupid things in my life but
    >> this kind of mental thought process leaves me wondering just who these
    >> people are.

    > The debate is not even about *how* to organize... just *if* it is better to
    > be organized in a distro, or have well done organization.

    Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    caver1

  3. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47f946a2$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 2:54 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47f92078$0$22824$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 12:11 PM:

    >>> I'll give you that one I'm not sure about that one either. :0
    >>> But being in reply to your "fractured" I think it was easy enough.
    >>> Or is that so you can just side step the issue?
    >>> I think you need to back to school. Who were the powers of the time?
    >>> the monarchy and religion. The US constitution was set up to protect
    >>> against each of those. True some thought their ways were better than
    >>> others hence they should rule. That is why changes were made.
    >>> And don't say well if they worked within the framework of the
    >>> Constitution not made another. Software is not law and should never be.
    >>> But at the same time it gives everyone the right to try the same thing
    >>> over and over if they want as long as they don't steal from, harm, or
    >>> stopping anyone else from the same rights.
    >>> If Hadron wants to make his own Har, har, Hardly hardon distro thats
    >>> fine with everyone here. Just don't think that anyone will use it.
    >>> caver1

    >> I think it is a shame that the best answer to how a user can get a distro
    >> from a group that understands both organization, look, and consistency is
    >> for the user to become an expert in each area *and* an expert in how to put
    >> a pro-level Linux distro together and then roll their own.
    >>
    >> The development efforts of Linux are fractured - so while there are experts
    >> in each area (or at least people who show they understand each area well)
    >> they are not all working together. This will change: eventually a distro
    >> will pull all of those talents together... Ubuntu seems to be trying (though
    >> they have big holes in their skill set currently).
    >>

    > As I said it is still improving. Tell us where they are lacking.
    > caver1

    From past posts:

    PCLOS:

    Poorly done menus

    Poorly done dialogs:

    Poorly done and Inconsistent dialogs:

    Mouse pointers that do not do as they say:

    Even Ubuntu has its share of quirks - though it is clearly done much better:

    And the more recent one showing copy and paste oddities and weird text
    behavior on selection:

    It is not like such examples are hard to find - or are not obvious. How
    could anyone who has used Linux and either Windows or OS X not have such
    things be apparent to them - especially someone who considers themselves
    knowledgeable about computers?

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  4. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> The mind boggles as to "caver1"s mindset where he thinks it better to
    >>> keep a broken, fractured distro because a minority "might" want
    >>> it. Huh?!?!?!? I mean, I have heard some stupid things in my life but
    >>> this kind of mental thought process leaves me wondering just who these
    >>> people are.

    >> The debate is not even about *how* to organize... just *if* it is better to
    >> be organized in a distro, or have well done organization.

    > Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    > caver1

    I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    want... just seems absurd to me.

    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!

  5. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit writes:

    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> The debate is not even about *how* to organize... just *if* it is better to
    >>> be organized in a distro, or have well done organization.

    >> Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    >> caver1

    > I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    > and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    > want... just seems absurd to me.

    He is absurd. He must be a nym for someone like wRonG.

    He keeps asking me to "prove it" after I have just done so. Weird.

  6. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Hadron" stated in post
    ftc2fr$9cv$5@registered.motzarella.org on 4/6/08 7:55 PM:

    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    >>> caver1

    >> I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    >> and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    >> want... just seems absurd to me.

    > He is absurd. He must be a nym for someone like wRonG.
    >
    > He keeps asking me to "prove it" after I have just done so. Weird.

    Prove it.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  7. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47f946a2$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 2:54 PM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "caver1" stated in post
    >>> 47f92078$0$22824$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 12:11 PM:

    >>> I think it is a shame that the best answer to how a user can get a distro
    >>> from a group that understands both organization, look, and consistency is
    >>> for the user to become an expert in each area *and* an expert in how to put
    >>> a pro-level Linux distro together and then roll their own.
    >>>
    >>> The development efforts of Linux are fractured - so while there are experts
    >>> in each area (or at least people who show they understand each area well)
    >>> they are not all working together. This will change: eventually a distro
    >>> will pull all of those talents together... Ubuntu seems to be trying (though
    >>> they have big holes in their skill set currently).
    >>>

    >> As I said it is still improving. Tell us where they are lacking.
    >> caver1

    > From past posts:
    >
    > PCLOS:
    >
    > Poorly done menus
    >

    > Poorly done dialogs:
    >

    > Poorly done and Inconsistent dialogs:
    >

    > Mouse pointers that do not do as they say:

    personally I don't like PcLinuxOS. But it is very popular.

    > Even Ubuntu has its share of quirks - though it is clearly done much better:

    Okay you have to go to file to quit.

    > And the more recent one showing copy and paste oddities and weird text
    > behavior on selection:

    Load glipper problem solved.
    > It is not like such examples are hard to find - or are not obvious. How
    > could anyone who has used Linux and either Windows or OS X not have such
    > things be apparent to them - especially someone who considers themselves
    > knowledgeable about computers?

    Okay now improve them. Instead of telling everyone how crappy it is.
    caver1

  8. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> The debate is not even about *how* to organize... just *if* it is better to
    >>> be organized in a distro, or have well done organization.

    >> Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    >> caver1

    > I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    > and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    > want... just seems absurd to me.

    There are several of the Linux distros that have very good organization.
    Attractive looks? That's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think
    that Mint is very attractive. Then again when I am Word processing I am
    just looking to get it done.
    Yes there are problems but they are improving at a rapid pace.
    So if you have problems with many of the distros pick one or a dozen and
    improve them instead of constantly trying to smear the whole Linux
    community because you don't like some of the distros.
    yes there are more distros then I will even want to try. But Its their
    right to try if they want to.
    caver1

  9. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron wrote:
    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    >>> caver1

    >> I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    >> and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    >> want... just seems absurd to me.

    > He is absurd. He must be a nym for someone like wRonG.
    >
    > He keeps asking me to "prove it" after I have just done so. Weird.

    No you have only prove that you want Linux to be in your flavor nothing
    else.
    When you call me a liar I also say prove it and your come back is "I
    already did" or "What are you talking about"
    Most of your rants belong in COLA and should stay there.
    caver1

  10. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa195d$0$16691$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:53 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> Okay Hardon tell me where Linux is Broken.
    >>> caver1

    >> I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    >> and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    >> want... just seems absurd to me.
    >>

    > There are several of the Linux distros that have very good organization.
    > Attractive looks? That's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think
    > that Mint is very attractive. Then again when I am Word processing I am
    > just looking to get it done.
    > Yes there are problems but they are improving at a rapid pace.
    > So if you have problems with many of the distros pick one or a dozen and
    > improve them instead of constantly trying to smear the whole Linux
    > community because you don't like some of the distros.
    > yes there are more distros then I will even want to try. But Its their
    > right to try if they want to.
    > caver1

    You are moving goal posts. Before you stated that not everyone wants both
    (a decent look and good organization)... now you are saying that it is in
    the eye of the beholder (which I agree with - to some extent).

    Then you jump back to the idea that if I want to have a distro with common
    sense needs: reasoned organization, consistency, a decent look, etc., I
    should do the distro dance and when that fails make my own or just improve
    on others.

    Sounds like you agree with me that, as is, Linux is not really ready for the
    general desktop.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  11. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa177e$0$16692$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:45 AM:

    >>> As I said it is still improving. Tell us where they are lacking.
    >>> caver1

    >> From past posts:
    >>
    >> PCLOS:
    >>
    >> Poorly done menus
    >>

    >> Poorly done dialogs:
    >>

    >> Poorly done and Inconsistent dialogs:
    >>

    >> Mouse pointers that do not do as they say:
    >>

    > personally I don't like PcLinuxOS. But it is very popular.

    Lovely but irrelevant.

    >> Even Ubuntu has its share of quirks - though it is clearly done much better:
    >>

    > Okay you have to go to file to quit.

    For some programs, sure... for others you have to go to File to Exit... and
    for others you have to "close window" and for others you do not even go to
    File... and what is the hot key to terminate... a bit of a mess, eh?

    >> And the more recent one showing copy and paste oddities and weird text
    >> behavior on selection:
    >>

    > Load glipper problem solved.

    So it is not ready as is. And what is "glibber"? I am not familiar with it

    >> It is not like such examples are hard to find - or are not obvious. How
    >> could anyone who has used Linux and either Windows or OS X not have such
    >> things be apparent to them - especially someone who considers themselves
    >> knowledgeable about computers?

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa195d$0$16691$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:53 AM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "caver1" stated in post
    >>> 47f9487a$0$16662$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/6/08 3:02 PM:

    >>> I would love to see your argument as to why organization, attractive looks,
    >>> and lack-of-fracturing in the UI would be a bad thing that you would not
    >>> want... just seems absurd to me.
    >>>

    >> There are several of the Linux distros that have very good organization.
    >> Attractive looks? That's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think
    >> that Mint is very attractive. Then again when I am Word processing I am
    >> just looking to get it done.
    >> Yes there are problems but they are improving at a rapid pace.
    >> So if you have problems with many of the distros pick one or a dozen and
    >> improve them instead of constantly trying to smear the whole Linux
    >> community because you don't like some of the distros.
    >> yes there are more distros then I will even want to try. But Its their
    >> right to try if they want to.
    >> caver1
    >>

    > You are moving goal posts. Before you stated that not everyone wants both
    > (a decent look and good organization)... now you are saying that it is in
    > the eye of the beholder (which I agree with - to some extent).
    >
    > Then you jump back to the idea that if I want to have a distro with common
    > sense needs: reasoned organization, consistency, a decent look, etc., I
    > should do the distro dance and when that fails make my own or just improve
    > on others.
    >
    > Sounds like you agree with me that, as is, Linux is not really ready for the
    > general desktop.

    My reply was to Hadron. Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready
    for the desktop. That's why I am using Linux.
    No goal posts moved. Not everyone wants the looks of Ubuntu. Some hate
    it. I think Ubuntu has a good organization, some such as you think not.
    And yes looks is in the eye of the beholder.
    Your wants are different than someone else's. If you want to do the
    dance that's your prerogative. I did not tell you to do it.
    If you like whatever distro then use that one, help that one. But don't
    complain about Linux in general because you don't like some of the
    distros.
    Or as you stated above- "I should do the distro dance and when that
    fails make my own or just improve on others."
    Yes help improve and quit complaining that someone else wants to build
    their own to satisfy their needs. You don't have to use theirs so why
    complain.
    Not everyone agree on what common sense is and from the looks of it I
    don't think you use much.
    caver1

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa177e$0$16692$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:45 AM:

    >>> From past posts:
    >>>
    >>> PCLOS:
    >>>
    >>> Poorly done menus
    >>>

    >>> Poorly done dialogs:
    >>>

    >>> Poorly done and Inconsistent dialogs:
    >>>

    >>> Mouse pointers that do not do as they say:
    >>>

    >> personally I don't like PcLinuxOS. But it is very popular.

    > Lovely but irrelevant.

    Why irrelevant? You brought that distro up in an Ubuntu group.

    >>> Even Ubuntu has its share of quirks - though it is clearly done much better:
    >>>

    >> Okay you have to go to file to quit.

    > For some programs, sure... for others you have to go to File to Exit... and
    > for others you have to "close window" and for others you do not even go to
    > File... and what is the hot key to terminate... a bit of a mess, eh?
    >
    >>> And the more recent one showing copy and paste oddities and weird text
    >>> behavior on selection:
    >>>

    >> Load glipper problem solved.

    > So it is not ready as is. And what is "glibber"? I am not familiar with it

    For one it is glipper not glibber. It is a clipboard. look it up. And
    before you say why should I have to load a clipboard in Linux to use it.
    The clipboard that comes with windows is not that great either so if you
    want more functionality you have to load a third party clipboard of
    which there are many. I personally like Clipmate.

    >>> It is not like such examples are hard to find - or are not obvious. How
    >>> could anyone who has used Linux and either Windows or OS X not have such
    >>> things be apparent to them - especially someone who considers themselves
    >>> knowledgeable about computers?

    They are apparent. But how long are you going to cry to mama because you
    stubbed your toe?
    caver1

  14. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa3610$0$12568$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 7:56 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa195d$0$16691$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:53 AM:

    >>> There are several of the Linux distros that have very good organization.
    >>> Attractive looks? That's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think
    >>> that Mint is very attractive. Then again when I am Word processing I am
    >>> just looking to get it done.
    >>> Yes there are problems but they are improving at a rapid pace.
    >>> So if you have problems with many of the distros pick one or a dozen and
    >>> improve them instead of constantly trying to smear the whole Linux
    >>> community because you don't like some of the distros.
    >>> yes there are more distros then I will even want to try. But Its their
    >>> right to try if they want to.
    >>> caver1
    >>>

    >> You are moving goal posts. Before you stated that not everyone wants both
    >> (a decent look and good organization)... now you are saying that it is in
    >> the eye of the beholder (which I agree with - to some extent).
    >>
    >> Then you jump back to the idea that if I want to have a distro with common
    >> sense needs: reasoned organization, consistency, a decent look, etc., I
    >> should do the distro dance and when that fails make my own or just improve
    >> on others.
    >>
    >> Sounds like you agree with me that, as is, Linux is not really ready for the
    >> general desktop.
    >>

    > My reply was to Hadron.

    Correct.

    > Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready
    > for the desktop. That's why I am using Linux.

    And yet you claim that in order to get Linux to have good looks,
    consistency, well thought out organization, etc., I need to make my own
    distro or alter one.

    > No goal posts moved. Not everyone wants the looks of Ubuntu. Some hate
    > it. I think Ubuntu has a good organization, some such as you think not.
    > And yes looks is in the eye of the beholder.
    > Your wants are different than someone else's. If you want to do the
    > dance that's your prerogative. I did not tell you to do it.
    > If you like whatever distro then use that one, help that one. But don't
    > complain about Linux in general because you don't like some of the
    > distros.

    The problem is throughout the distros - not tied to one.

    > Or as you stated above- "I should do the distro dance and when that
    > fails make my own or just improve on others."
    > Yes help improve and quit complaining that someone else wants to build
    > their own to satisfy their needs. You don't have to use theirs so why
    > complain.
    > Not everyone agree on what common sense is and from the looks of it I
    > don't think you use much.

    It is common sense to want general consistency, well thought out
    organization, and a decent look designed by a pro.

    --
    When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
    When God changes your mind, that's faith.

  15. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    caver1 wrote:

    >Snit wrote:

    *plonk*

  16. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa380c$0$12559$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 8:04 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa177e$0$16692$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:45 AM:

    >>> personally I don't like PcLinuxOS. But it is very popular.

    >> Lovely but irrelevant.

    > Why irrelevant? You brought that distro up in an Ubuntu group.

    You asked where *distros* were lacking... and I had been talking about PCLOS
    and Ubuntu. I answered.

    >>> Okay you have to go to file to quit.

    >> For some programs, sure... for others you have to go to File to Exit... and
    >> for others you have to "close window" and for others you do not even go to
    >> File... and what is the hot key to terminate... a bit of a mess, eh?

    >>> Load glipper problem solved.

    >> So it is not ready as is. And what is "glibber"? I am not familiar with it

    > For one it is glipper not glibber.

    My mistake. Sorry.

    > It is a clipboard. look it up. And
    > before you say why should I have to load a clipboard in Linux to use it.
    > The clipboard that comes with windows is not that great either so if you
    > want more functionality you have to load a third party clipboard of
    > which there are many. I personally like Clipmate.

    I have not even mentioned Windows and do not use it (generally - I do for
    some purposes). But it does have a clipboard that works better than what I
    show in the movie on Ubuntu!

    > They are apparent. But how long are you going to cry to mama because you
    > stubbed your toe?
    > caver1

    Er? Not sure what you are getting at.

    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay

  17. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "chrisv" stated in post
    fuekv35b52fleorkpqkg3eu3jj05ag4g3u@4ax.com on 4/7/08 8:20 AM:

    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:

    >>> My reply was to Hadron.
    >>>

    >> Correct.
    >>
    >>> Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready for the desktop. That's why
    >>> I am using Linux.
    >>>

    >> And yet you claim that in order to get Linux to have good looks, consistency,
    >> well thought out organization, etc., I need to make my own distro or alter
    >> one.
    >>
    >>> No goal posts moved. Not everyone wants the looks of Ubuntu. Some hate it. I
    >>> think Ubuntu has a good organization, some such as you think not. And yes
    >>> looks is in the eye of the beholder. Your wants are different than someone
    >>> else's. If you want to do the dance that's your prerogative. I did not tell
    >>> you to do it. If you like whatever distro then use that one, help that one.
    >>> But don't complain about Linux in general because you don't like some of the
    >>> distros.
    >>>

    >> The problem is throughout the distros - not tied to one.
    >>
    >>> Or as you stated above- "I should do the distro dance and when that fails
    >>> make my own or just improve on others." Yes help improve and quit
    >>> complaining that someone else wants to build their own to satisfy their
    >>> needs. You don't have to use theirs so why complain. Not everyone agree on
    >>> what common sense is and from the looks of it I don't think you use much.
    >>>

    >> It is common sense to want general consistency, well thought out
    >> organization, and a decent look designed by a pro.

    > *plonk*

    A shame you could not answer the questions and otherwise respond in a
    reasoned way. Maybe later?

    --
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa3610$0$12568$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 7:56 AM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "caver1" stated in post
    >>> 47fa195d$0$16691$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:53 AM:

    >>> You are moving goal posts. Before you stated that not everyone wants both
    >>> (a decent look and good organization)... now you are saying that it is in
    >>> the eye of the beholder (which I agree with - to some extent).
    >>>
    >>> Then you jump back to the idea that if I want to have a distro with common
    >>> sense needs: reasoned organization, consistency, a decent look, etc., I
    >>> should do the distro dance and when that fails make my own or just improve
    >>> on others.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like you agree with me that, as is, Linux is not really ready for the
    >>> general desktop.
    >>>

    >> My reply was to Hadron.

    > Correct.
    >
    >> Yes I believe that some of the distros are ready
    >> for the desktop. That's why I am using Linux.

    > And yet you claim that in order to get Linux to have good looks,
    > consistency, well thought out organization, etc., I need to make my own
    > distro or alter one.

    If your so stupid you can't think for yourself.

    >> No goal posts moved. Not everyone wants the looks of Ubuntu. Some hate
    >> it. I think Ubuntu has a good organization, some such as you think not.
    >> And yes looks is in the eye of the beholder.
    >> Your wants are different than someone else's. If you want to do the
    >> dance that's your prerogative. I did not tell you to do it.
    >> If you like whatever distro then use that one, help that one. But don't
    >> complain about Linux in general because you don't like some of the
    >> distros.

    > The problem is throughout the distros - not tied to one.

    Then if you hate it so much why are you here?

    >> Or as you stated above- "I should do the distro dance and when that
    >> fails make my own or just improve on others."
    >> Yes help improve and quit complaining that someone else wants to build
    >> their own to satisfy their needs. You don't have to use theirs so why
    >> complain.
    >> Not everyone agree on what common sense is and from the looks of it I
    >> don't think you use much.

    > It is common sense to want general consistency, well thought out
    > organization, and a decent look designed by a pro.

    True, and there is general consistency within the distros that I have
    tried. Not perfect but improving all the time. Personally I like the
    look of several of them. Or you can even change it yourself. Or have
    someone else do it for you.
    Even my Mom told me to quit coming crying to her if I couldn't learn to
    not do what was hurting me. And that was from a pro. If you don't like
    a distro don't use it.
    If someone else put something out there it is out of the kindness of
    his/her heart hoping someone else out there likes it or can get benefit
    out of it. No one holds a gun to your head forcing you to use it.
    caver1

    Snit wrote:
    > "caver1" stated in post
    > 47fa380c$0$12559$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 8:04 AM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "caver1" stated in post
    >>> 47fa177e$0$16692$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 5:45 AM:

    >>> Lovely but irrelevant.

    >> Why irrelevant? You brought that distro up in an Ubuntu group.

    > You asked where *distros* were lacking... and I had been talking about PCLOS
    > and Ubuntu. I answered.

    So if you don't like it it is relevant but if some disagrees with you it
    isn't? So you don't like that. If its a big enough hurdle that you can't
    get over it move away from it or find some other way around it.

    >>> For some programs, sure... for others you have to go to File to Exit... and
    >>> for others you have to "close window" and for others you do not even go to
    >>> File... and what is the hot key to terminate... a bit of a mess, eh?

    >>> So it is not ready as is. And what is "glibber"? I am not familiar with it

    >> For one it is glipper not glibber.

    > My mistake. Sorry.
    >
    >> It is a clipboard. look it up. And
    >> before you say why should I have to load a clipboard in Linux to use it.
    >> The clipboard that comes with windows is not that great either so if you
    >> want more functionality you have to load a third party clipboard of
    >> which there are many. I personally like Clipmate.

    > I have not even mentioned Windows and do not use it (generally - I do for
    > some purposes). But it does have a clipboard that works better than what I
    > show in the movie on Ubuntu!

    My point was even in your perfect windows word people find things that
    work much better and use them.

    If I let things like that stop me instesd of trying to find ways to
    improve them for myself then I would have never gotten past DOS let
    alone Windows.

    >> They are apparent. But how long are you going to cry to mama because you
    >> stubbed your toe?
    >> caver1

    > Er? Not sure what you are getting at.

    Instead of crying all the time do something to improve whatever it is.
    goodbye
    caver1

  20. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "caver1" stated in post
    47fa539f$0$11318$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 10:02 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "caver1" stated in post
    >> 47fa380c$0$12559$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/7/08 8:04 AM:

    >>> Why irrelevant? You brought that distro up in an Ubuntu group.

    >> You asked where *distros* were lacking... and I had been talking about PCLOS
    >> and Ubuntu. I answered.

    > So if you don't like it it is relevant but if some disagrees with you it
    > isn't? So you don't like that. If its a big enough hurdle that you can't
    > get over it move away from it or find some other way around it.

    Likes and dislikes are not the issue. Not sure where you got that from. I
    am talking about inconsistencies and specific problems with desktop Linux
    distros.

    >>> It is a clipboard. look it up. And
    >>> before you say why should I have to load a clipboard in Linux to use it.
    >>> The clipboard that comes with windows is not that great either so if you
    >>> want more functionality you have to load a third party clipboard of
    >>> which there are many. I personally like Clipmate.

    >> I have not even mentioned Windows and do not use it (generally - I do for
    >> some purposes). But it does have a clipboard that works better than what I
    >> show in the movie on Ubuntu!

    > My point was even in your perfect windows word people find things that
    > work much better and use them.

    Not sure what you mean by "perfect windows word"... maybe "perfect Windows
    world"? If so I assure you I certainly do not feel that way... while I use
    Windows it is not my primary desktop environment (I only have it installed
    in a virtual machine). And, again, I have no problem with the idea of
    people being able to replace the standard clipboard with a better (or even
    just different) one - my concern is the fact that the standard one *clearly*
    does not work as it should.

    Do you understand the difference?

    > If I let things like that stop me instesd of trying to find ways to
    > improve them for myself then I would have never gotten past DOS let
    > alone Windows.

    Stop you? Again, not sure what you mean... who is stopped from doing what?

    >>> They are apparent. But how long are you going to cry to mama because you
    >>> stubbed your toe?
    >>> caver1

    >> Er? Not sure what you are getting at.

    > Instead of crying all the time do something to improve whatever it is.

    Well, getting people in the Linux community to not be in denial is a good
    first step.

    > goodbye

    good bye.

    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay