Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution. - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:17:06 -0500, Rick wrote: > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:35:44 +0200, Hadron wrote: > >> Ignoramus20845 writes: >> >>> On 2008-04-05, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >>>> Humor me a little, why can't you Linux loons ...

  1. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:17:06 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:35:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus20845 writes:

    >>> As far as my own computer use is concerned, ubuntu works and does what
    >>> /i want, from a obsolete freebie laptop with 256 mb of ram, and 10"
    >>> screen, to big servers with a lot of expensive hardware. the only
    >>> annoying thing is that it does not hibernate on my big laptop.

    >> Which *immediately* make Linux a no go for many, many people.
    >>
    >> Get rid of the millions of distros. Concentrate on the top 10% and get
    >> this **** working. The fixes can then trickle on to the lamer distros
    >> like DreamDump or whatever it's called.

    > And AGAIN, there is no evidence that killing off distros will increase
    > development on any other distro.

    What Hadron is saying is that we should deny users the right to modify
    GPL software and to release the result for others to use. That does not
    sound to me like an open-source lover. Rather, it sounds like someone
    who seeks to rip out the very heart of open source.

  2. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:42:47 -0400, Kinney Baughman wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:11:53 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [blah]
    >>>
    >>> Hadron, go **** yourself with a rusty farm implement. Hopefully you'll
    >>> perforate your colon and die a slow, painful death.

    >> What is it with COLA Linux advocates and rectums, colons and other nasty
    >> parts of the body?
    >>
    >> You guys really should clean up your act.

    > Come on, Moshe. You're enjoying this.

    I'll admit the Linux loonies are entertaining to observe, but only from a
    distance because they tend to spit and throw fecal matter.

    > If you really think Linux is that bad, and we all admit it isn't for
    > everyone, then install Vista or buy a Mac and go on your way.

    I don't like Vista at all, I've made that clear from the start.
    Currently I have no intention of downgrading XP and going to Vista.

    As for Mac, if Microsoft doesn't get it's act together by the time it's
    time for my new system, I just might jump ship.

    > No one is forcing you to do anything. We're not even forcing you to
    > post here. That's your *choice*.

    I've been here since 1994.....

    > As hard as it is for you to believe, some of us *choose* to use Linux
    > for all its merits despite its shortcomings. Every OS has it pluses and
    > minuses.

    I have no problem with that.
    Choose what works for *you*.

    > It's time to quote from one of the greatest albums of all time, "The
    > Point" by Harry Nillson, God rest his soul.
    >
    > "You see what you want to see. And you hear what you want to hear."

    One of my favorites!
    BTW you have just described the typical COLA Linux advocate to the letter.

    > We all understand very well that you don't see so much good with Linux.

    Wrong.

    I see a lot good with Linux.
    It's Linux zealot advocates and in particular the lying, PAID spammers over
    in COLA that I have take exception to.

    > Great! Fine. If we were all of a kind, there'd only be one Linux
    > distribution. Just like there's only one Vista or Mac OS distribution.

    And Linux might actually challenge Windows for the desktop if that were
    true.

    > But that's now what we're about.

    And sadly that's one major reason why Linux sits at 0.6 percent of the
    desktop market.
    Too many distributions, too many Indians and not enough chiefs.

    > It's neither worse nor better. It's different.
    >
    > Now pick up your toys and go along your merry way. We have better
    > things to talk about here.

    Do you still play with toys?
    I thought you were older.
    Oh well.

    I'll lend you my fire truck if I can play with your race car?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    netcat writes:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:17:06 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> Which *immediately* make Linux a no go for many, many people.
    >>>
    >>> Get rid of the millions of distros. Concentrate on the top 10% and get
    >>> this **** working. The fixes can then trickle on to the lamer distros
    >>> like DreamDump or whatever it's called.

    >> And AGAIN, there is no evidence that killing off distros will increase
    >> development on any other distro.

    > What Hadron is saying is that we should deny users the right to modify
    > GPL software and to release the result for others to use. That does
    > not

    No I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea? I am saying you do not build an
    entire distro around some l33t hyck.

    Yes, but you've **** for brains and don't read what's being said.

    --
    ltd: Fine, go through life just pointing and grunting at
    what you mean. Works for Mac users.

  4. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > As for Mac, if Microsoft doesn't get it's act together by the time it's
    > time for my new system, I just might jump ship.

    Jump ship? Sorry, Munch, but OSX won't run on your new Commodore 64.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.

    Good to the last supper

  5. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On 2008-04-06, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:42:47 -0400, Kinney Baughman wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> What is it with COLA Linux advocates and rectums, colons and other nasty
    >>> parts of the body?
    >>>
    >>> You guys really should clean up your act.

    >> Come on, Moshe. You're enjoying this.

    > I'll admit the Linux loonies are entertaining to observe, but only from a
    > distance because they tend to spit and throw fecal matter.
    >
    >> If you really think Linux is that bad, and we all admit it isn't for
    >> everyone, then install Vista or buy a Mac and go on your way.

    > I don't like Vista at all, I've made that clear from the start.
    > Currently I have no intention of downgrading XP and going to Vista.
    >
    > As for Mac, if Microsoft doesn't get it's act together by the time it's
    > time for my new system, I just might jump ship.

    I have a friend with a Mac laptop, and I was very impressed.

    Everything "just works" and there is FreeBSD under the hood. You can
    have cronjobs, ssh, etc. Also apache, mplayer, emacs, firefox, etc.

    Also, the backup on Mac is not some kind of a "premium" feature. It is
    called "time machine".

  6. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > No I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea? I am saying you do not build an
    > entire distro around some l33t hyck.

    And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't ban the
    modification of GPL software?

    >> sound to me like an open-source lover. Rather, it sounds like someone
    >> who seeks to rip out the very heart of open source.

    > Yes, but you've **** for brains and don't read what's being said.

    LOL!
    And you call HIM **** for brains? You can't even grasp simple concepts, like
    freedom to modify.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  7. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:

    > Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> No I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea? I am saying you do not build an
    >> entire distro around some l33t hyck.

    > And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't ban the
    > modification of GPL software?

    When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    this stuff. This is WHY its all such a mess. I also agree that "banning"
    per se is not a good thing. However, and I know you will struggle with
    this, it doesn't make it a good thing.

    It's like talking to a brick wall. It's not all about what we may or may
    not do. It's about whether it's a good idea or not for the general good
    of Linux and its advancement.

  8. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:29:39 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:
    >
    >> Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >>> No I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea? I am saying you do not build
    >>> an entire distro around some l33t hyck.

    >> And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't
    >> ban the modification of GPL software?

    > When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    > this stuff. This is WHY its all such a mess. I also agree that "banning"
    > per se is not a good thing. However, and I know you will struggle with
    > this, it doesn't make it a good thing.
    >
    > It's like talking to a brick wall. It's not all about what we may or may
    > not do. It's about whether it's a good idea or not for the general good
    > of Linux and its advancement.

    When will you get it through your thick skull? ... killing distors won't
    guarantee any more resources for any other distro?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron wrote:

    > Get rid of the millions of distros. Concentrate on the top 10% and get
    > this **** working. The fixes can then trickle on to the lamer distros
    > like DreamDump or whatever it's called.

    Hey, dumbass. How do you propose to "get rid" of the millions of distros?

    "When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    this stuff." -- Quack

    LOL, you're such an abject moron.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    Adde parvum parvo manus acervus erit.
    [Add little to little and there will be a big pile.]
    -- Ovid

  10. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Get rid of the millions of distros. Concentrate on the top 10% and get
    >> this **** working. The fixes can then trickle on to the lamer distros
    >> like DreamDump or whatever it's called.

    > Hey, dumbass. How do you propose to "get rid" of the millions of
    > distros?

    LOL. It really is like talking to a brick wall. Almost as dumb as
    Spike1. Firstly dont encourage the new ones, secondly dont advertise the
    existing ones.

    The point is quite clear - more and more distros are NOT a good
    idea. Get the existing ones working.

    > "When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    > this stuff." -- Quack
    >
    > LOL, you're such an abject moron.

    Your point is? I know we can not ban them. "Get rid of" in the context
    should be perfectly clear - stop encouraging and making out these things
    are good "choice".

    Just because you can not house train your dog, it doesn't mean you want
    to go stepping in its crap every day. Or maybe you like that. Wouldn't
    surprise me.

  11. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Quack quakced:

    > The point is quite clear - more and more distros are NOT a good
    > idea. Get the existing ones working.

    Jawohl, mein fuhrer!
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
    -- Oscar Wilde [as he sipped champagne on his deathbed]

  12. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Quack quakced:
    >
    >> The point is quite clear - more and more distros are NOT a good
    >> idea. Get the existing ones working.

    > Jawohl, mein fuhrer!

    Not even slightly amusing. It becomes more and more apparent that you
    wish Linux to fail for some reason since you contribute nothing back
    other than blind fan boy love. You should save that for marti.

    --
    If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

  13. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Hadron wrote:

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:
    >
    >> Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >>> No I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea? I am saying you do not build an
    >>> entire distro around some l33t hyck.

    >> And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't ban
    >> the modification of GPL software?

    > When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    > this stuff. This is WHY its all such a mess. I also agree that "banning"
    > per se is not a good thing. However, and I know you will struggle with
    > this, it doesn't make it a good thing.
    >
    > It's like talking to a brick wall. It's not all about what we may or may
    > not do. It's about whether it's a good idea or not for the general good
    > of Linux and its advancement.

    And you know what's good for the advancement of Linux? Does that include
    agreeing with Mr. Soap Dish whenever he posts something that slams Linux?
    Does that including bitching and griping about how FOSS software doesn't
    meet YOUR standards, while contributing fukall to it's development? Does
    that include attacking those who try and advocate for Linux by constantly
    writing them off as some kind of COLA crowd? Does that include bitching
    about there being too many distros out there and there should be only one
    omnipotent distro, ala Windoze? I'm really curious ... just how do you
    advance Linux? Seriously?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  14. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    Quack quacked:

    > Not even slightly amusing. It becomes more and more apparent that you
    > wish Linux to fail for some reason since you contribute nothing back
    > other than blind fan boy love. You should save that for marti.

    Why would I desire for something I use on a daily basis to fail, Quack?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    "The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck on a tree more often."

  15. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:54:20 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Quack quacked:
    >
    >> Not even slightly amusing. It becomes more and more apparent that you
    >> wish Linux to fail for some reason since you contribute nothing back
    >> other than blind fan boy love. You should save that for marti.

    > Why would I desire for something I use on a daily basis to fail, Quack?

    You like self inflicted pain.
    You must, after all you *are* using Linux....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Rick" stated in post
    SbOdnaFSgI5DRWXanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/6/08 7:06 AM:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:29:39 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >>>
    >>> And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't
    >>> ban the modification of GPL software?

    >> When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    >> this stuff. This is WHY its all such a mess. I also agree that "banning"
    >> per se is not a good thing. However, and I know you will struggle with
    >> this, it doesn't make it a good thing.
    >>
    >> It's like talking to a brick wall. It's not all about what we may or may
    >> not do. It's about whether it's a good idea or not for the general good
    >> of Linux and its advancement.

    > When will you get it through your thick skull? ... killing distors won't
    > guarantee any more resources for any other distro?

    But if distro developers were to work together they could combine their
    strengths... such as the strength of PCLOS's organization and visual design
    with Ubuntu's less-fractured UI. Right now there is no distro that offers
    both...

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  17. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    NoStop wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >>>
    >>> And how do you STOP him from doing that if he so wishes if you can't ban
    >>> the modification of GPL software?

    >> When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not ban
    >> this stuff. This is WHY its all such a mess. I also agree that "banning"
    >> per se is not a good thing. However, and I know you will struggle with
    >> this, it doesn't make it a good thing.
    >>
    >> It's like talking to a brick wall. It's not all about what we may or may
    >> not do. It's about whether it's a good idea or not for the general good
    >> of Linux and its advancement.

    > And you know what's good for the advancement of Linux? Does that include
    > agreeing with Mr. Soap Dish whenever he posts something that slams Linux?
    > Does that including bitching and griping about how FOSS software doesn't
    > meet YOUR standards, while contributing fukall to it's development? Does
    > that include attacking those who try and advocate for Linux by constantly
    > writing them off as some kind of COLA crowd? Does that include bitching
    > about there being too many distros out there and there should be only one
    > omnipotent distro, ala Windoze? I'm really curious ... just how do you
    > advance Linux? Seriously?

    Quack should accompany his posts with the statement:

    "I pretend that I use Linux, but I only post in this newsgroup
    for the sole purpose of moaning and whinging about Linux".

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:26:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Get rid of the millions of distros. Concentrate on the top 10% and get
    >>> this **** working. The fixes can then trickle on to the lamer distros
    >>> like DreamDump or whatever it's called.

    >> Hey, dumbass. How do you propose to "get rid" of the millions of
    >> distros?

    > LOL. It really is like talking to a brick wall. Almost as dumb as
    > Spike1. Firstly dont encourage the new ones, secondly dont advertise the
    > existing ones.
    >
    > The point is quite clear - more and more distros are NOT a good idea.
    > Get the existing ones working.

    Red Hat works. Debian works. Slackware works. Suse works. Mandriva works.
    PCLiunxOS works. Ubuntu works. Puppy works. DSL works. etc, etc, etc...

    >> "When will you get it through your thick head that we KNOW we can not
    >> ban this stuff." -- Quack
    >>
    >> LOL, you're such an abject moron.

    > Your point is? I know we can not ban them. "Get rid of" in the context
    > should be perfectly clear - stop encouraging and making out these things
    > are good "choice".

    Why aren't they "good choice"?

    > Just because you can not house train your dog, it doesn't mean you want
    > to go stepping in its crap every day. Or maybe you like that. Wouldn't
    > surprise me.

    And AGAIN... killing distros will not guarantee more resources for those
    left.

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:59:44 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:54:20 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Quack quacked:
    >>
    >>> Not even slightly amusing. It becomes more and more apparent that you
    >>> wish Linux to fail for some reason since you contribute nothing back
    >>> other than blind fan boy love. You should save that for marti.

    >> Why would I desire for something I use on a daily basis to fail, Quack?

    > You like self inflicted pain.
    > You must, after all you *are* using Linux....

    You like self inflicted pain.

    You must, after all *you* are using Linux...
    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Yet Another Dud Linux Distribution.

    "Rick" stated in post
    HOKdncoudah1emXanZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/6/08 8:10 AM:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:26:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire writes:

    >>> Hey, dumbass. How do you propose to "get rid" of the millions of
    >>> distros?

    >> LOL. It really is like talking to a brick wall. Almost as dumb as
    >> Spike1. Firstly dont encourage the new ones, secondly dont advertise the
    >> existing ones.
    >>
    >> The point is quite clear - more and more distros are NOT a good idea.
    >> Get the existing ones working.

    > Red Hat works. Debian works. Slackware works. Suse works. Mandriva works.
    > PCLiunxOS works. Ubuntu works. Puppy works. DSL works. etc, etc, etc...

    Well, they each work in some ways... guess it depends on your criteria and
    your standards.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all