command based harddrive shutdown - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on command based harddrive shutdown - Ubuntu ; Hello Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives. Almost always on unbuntu. When I know I won't be using it for some time, would like to shut-down the win harddrive via keystroke cmd. Any advice appreciated ...

  1. command based harddrive shutdown

    Hello

    Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.

    Almost always on unbuntu. When I know I won't be using it for some time,
    would like to shut-down the win harddrive via keystroke cmd.

    Any advice appreciated

    Bob

  2. Re: command based harddrive shutdown

    I think that you need to do hdparm -Y /dev/hdb or something, read man
    hdparm.

    On 2008-04-05, w4nng wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.
    >
    > Almost always on unbuntu. When I know I won't be using it for some time,
    > would like to shut-down the win harddrive via keystroke cmd.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated
    >
    > Bob

  3. Re: command based harddrive shutdown

    On 2008-04-05, w4nng hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.
    >
    > Almost always on unbuntu. When I know I won't be using it
    > for some time, would like to shut-down the win harddrive
    > via keystroke cmd.

    umount "unmount" the drive when not in use would be the best
    way to do so.

    You could edit /etc/fstab file to allow the "user" to
    mount/umount the partition on which win98 resides.

    umount /mountpoint/win98,

    only you know at this time how it is being mounted. So if my
    hints don't help you to figure it out post the output of
    "mount" here, and more specific instructions can be given.

    I've got in my other PC a few drives with many partition,
    and I don't mount them all automatically on boot up, you
    could do the same with your win98 partition, just when you
    need it mount it, and after-wards umount it.

    > Any advice appreciated
    >
    > Bob

    Dragomir Kollaric

  4. Re: command based harddrive shutdown

    Thanks Ignor & Drag

    I'll give both a try

    Although - in the past tried unmount and I didn't recall hearing the drive
    spin-down. I'll listen more closely

    On 2008-04-05, w4nng hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.
    >
    > Almost always on unbuntu. When I know I won't be using it
    > for some time, would like to shut-down the win harddrive
    > via keystroke cmd.

    umount "unmount" the drive when not in use would be the best
    way to do so.

    You could edit /etc/fstab file to allow the "user" to
    mount/umount the partition on which win98 resides.

    umount /mountpoint/win98,

    only you know at this time how it is being mounted. So if my
    hints don't help you to figure it out post the output of
    "mount" here, and more specific instructions can be given.

    I've got in my other PC a few drives with many partition,
    and I don't mount them all automatically on boot up, you
    could do the same with your win98 partition, just when you
    need it mount it, and after-wards umount it.

    > Any advice appreciated
    >
    > Bob

    Dragomir Kollaric

  5. Re: command based harddrive shutdown

    On 2008-04-06, W4NNG hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Thanks Ignor & Drag
    >
    > I'll give both a try
    >
    > Although - in the past tried unmount and I didn't recall hearing the drive
    > spin-down. I'll listen more closely

    You could first check to see if the drive is mounted, and as I said
    you can adjust /etc/fstab that the drive is not mounted
    automatically.

    Included what I got in /etc/fstab:

    #/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /USB-devices auto rw,noauto,users 0 0
    /dev/sdd2 /uSB-device2 ext3 rw,exec,noauto,users 0 0

    PS, I for one prefer that my "full" name (first or last) be
    used, if you want to use a abbreviation den D.K. would also
    be accepted. :-)

    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.
    >>
    >> Bob

    Dragomir Kollaric

  6. Re: command based harddrive shutdown

    OK Dragomir

    Now that I see the device paths I understand what you were suggesting.

    Thanks

    Bob

    On 2008-04-06, W4NNG hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Thanks Ignor & Drag
    >
    > I'll give both a try
    >
    > Although - in the past tried unmount and I didn't recall hearing the drive
    > spin-down. I'll listen more closely

    You could first check to see if the drive is mounted, and as I said
    you can adjust /etc/fstab that the drive is not mounted
    automatically.

    Included what I got in /etc/fstab:

    #/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /USB-devices auto rw,noauto,users 0 0
    /dev/sdd2 /uSB-device2 ext3 rw,exec,noauto,users 0 0

    PS, I for one prefer that my "full" name (first or last) be
    used, if you want to use a abbreviation den D.K. would also
    be accepted. :-)

    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Have a dual boot 7.10 / win98se config on dual harddrives.
    >>
    >> Bob

    Dragomir Kollaric