Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in - Ubuntu ; I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop. If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does not let me in after I type my password. It says password authentication failed or something. My workaround ...

  1. Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in

    I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop.

    If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does
    not let me in after I type my password. It says password
    authentication failed or something.

    My workaround is to say "switch user", pick my username from the list,
    and enter password, and I get back into my session.

    Any idea how this can be fixed?

  2. Re: Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in

    Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop.
    >
    > If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does
    > not let me in after I type my password. It says password
    > authentication failed or something.
    >
    > My workaround is to say "switch user", pick my username from the list,
    > and enter password, and I get back into my session.
    >
    > Any idea how this can be fixed?

    Write a script.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  3. Re: Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in

    On 2008-04-04, NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop.
    >>
    >> If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does
    >> not let me in after I type my password. It says password
    >> authentication failed or something.
    >>
    >> My workaround is to say "switch user", pick my username from the list,
    >> and enter password, and I get back into my session.
    >>
    >> Any idea how this can be fixed?

    > Write a script.

    Script to do what?

    I am sorry if you feel bitter about being wrong on my totem-removing
    script, but it has very little bearing to the question that I asked.

  4. Re: Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in

    Am Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:21:00 -0500 schrieb Ignoramus20845:

    > I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop.
    >
    > If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does
    > not let me in after I type my password. It says password authentication
    > failed or something.
    >
    > My workaround is to say "switch user", pick my username from the list,
    > and enter password, and I get back into my session.
    >
    > Any idea how this can be fixed?

    Try "sudo chown root:shadow /etc/shadow". Check rights of that file first
    with ls -la.

    HTH,
    -Stefan

    --
    If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
    technology and you don't understand your problems (Marcus J. Ranum).

  5. Re: Hardy -- Gnome-screensaver does not let me in

    On 2008-04-09, Stefan Bischof wrote:
    > Am Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:21:00 -0500 schrieb Ignoramus20845:
    >
    >> I am running Hardy beta. Using GDM and Gnome Desktop.
    >>
    >> If I lock my screen by choosing Quit/Lock Screen, the screensaver does
    >> not let me in after I type my password. It says password authentication
    >> failed or something.
    >>
    >> My workaround is to say "switch user", pick my username from the list,
    >> and enter password, and I get back into my session.
    >>
    >> Any idea how this can be fixed?

    > Try "sudo chown root:shadow /etc/shadow". Check rights of that file first
    > with ls -la.

    Awesome. That was it! I added it to my system-night script, so it will
    be fixed on all machines managed by it tonight. Thanks a lot!