How to remove ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to remove ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu ; I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy releases, around beginning of May. When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. How to remove ubuntu desktop

    I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.

    When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.

    I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    as xemacs.

    any ideas. thanks

  2. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    > personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    > when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >
    > When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    > CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    > boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >
    > I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    > shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    > as xemacs.
    >
    > any ideas. thanks

    This page may give you a few ideas.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    >> personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    >> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >>
    >> When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    >> CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    >> boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >>
    >> I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    >> shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    >> as xemacs.
    >>
    >> any ideas. thanks

    > This page may give you a few ideas.
    > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

    Ubuntu-desktop seems to be a bunch of dependencies, removing it does
    not remove much.

    I just tried.

    I then proceeded and removed gdm and openoffice.org, and totem. I am
    sure that I still have a lot of packages left. Oh well.

  4. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    >>> personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    >>> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >>>
    >>> When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    >>> CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    >>> boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >>>
    >>> I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    >>> shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    >>> as xemacs.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas. thanks

    >> This page may give you a few ideas.
    >> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
    >>

    > Ubuntu-desktop seems to be a bunch of dependencies, removing it does
    > not remove much.
    >
    > I just tried.
    >
    > I then proceeded and removed gdm and openoffice.org, and totem. I am
    > sure that I still have a lot of packages left. Oh well.

    "Oh well", another attempt at doing something backasswards.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  5. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-04, NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> This page may give you a few ideas.
    >>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
    >>>

    >> Ubuntu-desktop seems to be a bunch of dependencies, removing it does
    >> not remove much.
    >>
    >> I just tried.
    >>
    >> I then proceeded and removed gdm and openoffice.org, and totem. I am
    >> sure that I still have a lot of packages left. Oh well.

    > "Oh well", another attempt at doing something backasswards.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Are you saying that you know how to do it?

    If so, how?

    Looking some more, the right answer seems to be to remove libgnome2
    and its dependencies.

    alacarte apport-gtk brasero bug-buddy contact-lookup-applet
    deskbar-applet ekiga eog evince evolution evolution-data-server
    evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal f-spot
    file-roller gconf-editor gdebi gedit gimp-gnomevfs gnome-applets
    gnome-control-center gnome-games gnome-media gnome-media-common
    gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-pilot
    gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver
    gnome-settings-daemon gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-user-guide
    gnome-utils
    gnome-volume-manager gtkhtml3.14 gucharmap hwdb-client-gnome
    libbonoboui2-0 libdeskbar-tracker libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7
    libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2
    libexchange-storage1.2-3 libgail-gnome-module libgnome-desktop-2
    libgnome-media0 libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-perl
    libgnome2.0-cil libgnomeui-0 libgtkhtml2.0-cil libgtkhtml3.14-19
    libgtkhtml3.8-15
    liblpint-bonobo0 libpanel-applet2-0 mousetweaks nautilus
    nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-sendto network-manager-gnome python-gnome2

    python-gnome2-desktop python-pyatspi rhythmbox seahorse sound-juicer
    system-config-printer-gnome tomboy totem-gstreamer totem-mozilla
    totem-plugins tracker-search-tool tsclient ubuntu-docs
    update-notifier vino yelp

  6. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Looking some more, the right answer seems to be to remove libgnome2
    > and its dependencies.

    That's correct. Although, be aware, the page I pointed you to lists
    gutsy's and NOT Hardy's.

    You may want to check out if any of those packages have changed name
    in Hardy.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    NoStop wrote:

    > "Oh well", another attempt at doing something backasswards.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Tell'em the truth dip****, the only way is to flatten your HDD. In
    layman terms that means you have to re-format your hard disk drive...LOL!
    Frank

  8. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:43:17 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal
    > webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy
    > releases, around beginning of May.
    >
    > When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server CD.
    > So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a boatload of
    > desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >
    > I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    > shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such as
    > xemacs.
    >
    > any ideas. thanks

    If you want to run it without X then all you have to do is run at init 3.
    In /etc/inittab

    id:3:initdefault:

    It will boot without X. You can still run Xemacs or any other X
    application remotely, just ssh into your server and start the program.
    You only need an X server on your desktop machine, you don't need it on
    the server.

  9. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-05, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > If you want to run it without X then all you have to do is run at init 3.
    > In /etc/inittab
    >
    > id:3:initdefault:
    >
    > It will boot without X. You can still run Xemacs or any other X
    > application remotely, just ssh into your server and start the program.
    > You only need an X server on your desktop machine, you don't need it on
    > the server.

    Are you sure about this? Gutsy doesn't use inittab any more, by
    default, and I would guess that Hardy doesn't, either. As of Gutsy,
    Ubuntu has switched from init to Upstart.

    Upstart will honor an /etc/inittab if you create one. It includes
    many of the features of init for backwards compatibility.

    More info at http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  10. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-04, NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu-desktop seems to be a bunch of dependencies, removing it does
    >>> not remove much.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried.
    >>>
    >>> I then proceeded and removed gdm and openoffice.org, and totem. I am
    >>> sure that I still have a lot of packages left. Oh well.

    >> "Oh well", another attempt at doing something backasswards.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Are you saying that you know how to do it?
    >
    > If so, how?

    If it was me, I'd install the server version when it came out. What have you
    got invested in a beta anyways?

    If I wanted to stick with a backasswards "solution" like you have there, I'd
    just run it at runlevel 3.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  11. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Deleting libgnome2 with its dependencies, took care of what I wanted
    removed.

    On 2008-04-05, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:43:17 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal
    >> webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy
    >> releases, around beginning of May.
    >>
    >> When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server CD.
    >> So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a boatload of
    >> desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >>
    >> I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    >> shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such as
    >> xemacs.
    >>
    >> any ideas. thanks

    > If you want to run it without X then all you have to do is run at init 3.
    > In /etc/inittab
    >
    > id:3:initdefault:
    >
    > It will boot without X. You can still run Xemacs or any other X
    > application remotely, just ssh into your server and start the program.
    > You only need an X server on your desktop machine, you don't need it on
    > the server.

  12. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-05, NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    >>> "Oh well", another attempt at doing something backasswards.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Are you saying that you know how to do it?
    >>
    >> If so, how?
    >>

    > If it was me, I'd install the server version when it came out. What have you
    > got invested in a beta anyways?
    >
    > If I wanted to stick with a backasswards "solution" like you have there, I'd
    > just run it at runlevel 3.

    Running at "runlevel 3" (ubuntu does not use init with runlevels) is
    what I was more or less was doing because I set display manager to
    /bin/true. It was indeed assbackwards. What I wanted was to get rid of
    packages that I did not want.

    I installed it so early because I had to do a major amount of setup
    work, which I wanted to do nicely via scripts. This way rebuilding a
    replacement server will be easier in the future. A bunch of ad hoc
    settings spread around the whole system, is a nightmare.

  13. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Looking some more, the right answer seems to be to remove libgnome2
    >> and its dependencies.

    > That's correct. Although, be aware, the page I pointed you to lists
    > gutsy's and NOT Hardy's.
    >
    > You may want to check out if any of those packages have changed name
    > in Hardy.

    Removing libgnome2 worked great. Thanks a lot.

  14. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Looking some more, the right answer seems to be to remove libgnome2
    >>> and its dependencies.

    >> That's correct. Although, be aware, the page I pointed you to lists
    >> gutsy's and NOT Hardy's.
    >>
    >> You may want to check out if any of those packages have changed name
    >> in Hardy.
    >>

    > Removing libgnome2 worked great. Thanks a lot.

    No problem.

    I understood what you were trying to do, and if some think it's
    "assbackwards" then fine. However, Ubuntu is just a combination of
    packages built on top of the kernel. The beauty of it is that you can
    add or remove as many packages as you see fit.

    If it's any consolation, I'd have attempted it in the same way as you.
    It certainly cannot harm anything.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    > personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    > when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >
    > When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    > CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    > boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >
    > I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    > shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    > as xemacs.
    >
    > any ideas. thanks

    Removing libx11-6 should remove about anything that has to do with
    X. Than you can reinstall the things you want.

    Florian

  16. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    OBOn 2008-04-05, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-04-04, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> That's correct. Although, be aware, the page I pointed you to lists
    >>> gutsy's and NOT Hardy's.
    >>>
    >>> You may want to check out if any of those packages have changed name
    >>> in Hardy.
    >>>

    >> Removing libgnome2 worked great. Thanks a lot.

    > No problem.
    >
    > I understood what you were trying to do, and if some think it's
    > "assbackwards" then fine. However, Ubuntu is just a combination of
    > packages built on top of the kernel. The beauty of it is that you can
    > add or remove as many packages as you see fit.
    >
    > If it's any consolation, I'd have attempted it in the same way as you.
    > It certainly cannot harm anything.

    This is a server that will live its life inside a rack cabinet. No
    need for GUI. I do not want any possible package problems with, say,
    openoffice, to screw me up.

  17. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus14041 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > OBOn 2008-04-05, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Removing libgnome2 worked great. Thanks a lot.

    >> No problem.
    >>
    >> I understood what you were trying to do, and if some think it's
    >> "assbackwards" then fine. However, Ubuntu is just a combination of
    >> packages built on top of the kernel. The beauty of it is that you can
    >> add or remove as many packages as you see fit.
    >>
    >> If it's any consolation, I'd have attempted it in the same way as you.
    >> It certainly cannot harm anything.
    >>

    > This is a server that will live its life inside a rack cabinet. No
    > need for GUI. I do not want any possible package problems with, say,
    > openoffice, to screw me up.

    Ermmm....you didn't really need to say that considering I'd already
    told you "I understood what you are trying to do". ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  18. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-05, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus14041 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> OBOn 2008-04-05, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus20845 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No problem.
    >>>
    >>> I understood what you were trying to do, and if some think it's
    >>> "assbackwards" then fine. However, Ubuntu is just a combination of
    >>> packages built on top of the kernel. The beauty of it is that you can
    >>> add or remove as many packages as you see fit.
    >>>
    >>> If it's any consolation, I'd have attempted it in the same way as you.
    >>> It certainly cannot harm anything.
    >>>

    >> This is a server that will live its life inside a rack cabinet. No
    >> need for GUI. I do not want any possible package problems with, say,
    >> openoffice, to screw me up.

    > Ermmm....you didn't really need to say that considering I'd already
    > told you "I understood what you are trying to do". ;-)

    Yep... Good point...

  19. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:43:17 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    > I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal
    > webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy

    I thought Hardy wasn't released yet?
    Why not install Ubuntu Server?

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  20. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-05, jebblue wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:43:17 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal
    >> webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy

    > I thought Hardy wasn't released yet?
    > Why not install Ubuntu Server?

    It was released, in alpha, then in beta.

    It runs server stuff just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast