How to remove ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to remove ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu ; Ignoramus14041 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > >>> This is a server that will live its life inside a rack cabinet. No >>> need for GUI. I do not want any possible package problems with, say, >>> openoffice, to screw me ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    Ignoramus14041 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> This is a server that will live its life inside a rack cabinet. No
    >>> need for GUI. I do not want any possible package problems with, say,
    >>> openoffice, to screw me up.

    >> Ermmm....you didn't really need to say that considering I'd already
    >> told you "I understood what you are trying to do". ;-)
    >>

    > Yep... Good point...

    I'm great, innit? ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  2. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    "Ignoramus20845" wrote in message
    news:TbqdndQMG_QYo2vanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    > personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    > when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >
    > When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    > CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    > boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >
    > I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    > shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    > as xemacs.
    >
    > any ideas. thanks

    What kind of idiot installs an Alpha on a production server. Oh, your kind
    of idiot.

  3. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    "Ignoramus14041" wrote in message
    news:vcOdnSAwCrFGLWranZ2dnUVZ_szinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-05, jebblue wrote:
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:43:17 -0500, Ignoramus20845 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my personal
    >>> webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production when Hardy

    >> I thought Hardy wasn't released yet?
    >> Why not install Ubuntu Server?
    >>

    > It was released, in alpha, then in beta.
    >
    > It runs server stuff just fine.

    For idiots

  4. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    ysdywmf wrote:

    > > It runs server stuff just fine.

    > For idiots

    Yes, you're allowed to use it too...

  5. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    * ysdywmf wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "Ignoramus20845" wrote in
    > message news:TbqdndQMG_QYo2vanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    >> personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    >> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >>
    >> When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    >> CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    >> boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >>
    >> I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    >> shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    >> as xemacs.
    >>
    >> any ideas. thanks

    > What kind of idiot installs an Alpha on a production server. Oh, your
    > kind of idiot.

    Reading comprehension issues?

    > "It will be placed in production
    > when Hardy releases, around beginning of May."

    Couldn't be he is just asking a question so he can be prepared could it?

    You Windows Zealots get dumber with each response.

    --
    David

  6. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-10, SINNER wrote:
    > * ysdywmf wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    >> "Ignoramus20845" wrote in
    >> message news:TbqdndQMG_QYo2vanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>>I have a server that I am configuring to go into production (my
    >>> personal webserver). It runs Hardy. It will be placed in production
    >>> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May.
    >>>
    >>> When I installed Hardy, it was alpha and there was no Ubuntu server
    >>> CD. So I installed it from a Desktop CDROM and it brought in a
    >>> boatload of desktop stuff, gdm, GNOME, openoffice etc.
    >>>
    >>> I need none of that and want to know how to remove the whole desktop
    >>> shebang -- gdm, openoffice, etc. I may want to keep a few X apps such
    >>> as xemacs.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas. thanks

    >> What kind of idiot installs an Alpha on a production server. Oh, your
    >> kind of idiot.
    >>

    > Reading comprehension issues?
    >
    >> "It will be placed in production
    >> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May."

    > Couldn't be he is just asking a question so he can be prepared could it?
    >
    > You Windows Zealots get dumber with each response.

    The server is going to go in production when hardy is fully released.

    There is a lot of set up on it that I want to do the right way, with
    scripts etc.

  7. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:37:28 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-10, SINNER wrote:
    >> * ysdywmf wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>

    >>> "Ignoramus20845" wrote in
    >>> message news:TbqdndQMG_QYo2vanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> What kind of idiot installs an Alpha on a production server. Oh, your
    >>> kind of idiot.
    >>>

    >> Reading comprehension issues?
    >>
    >>> "It will be placed in production
    >>> when Hardy releases, around beginning of May."

    >> Couldn't be he is just asking a question so he can be prepared could
    >> it?
    >>
    >> You Windows Zealots get dumber with each response.
    >>

    > The server is going to go in production when hardy is fully released.
    >
    > There is a lot of set up on it that I want to do the right way, with
    > scripts etc.

    why not use one of the alternate install cd's and use the command line
    only option (think thats what the selection calls it). would be the
    simplest.

    otherwise get someone with a fresh command line install to list their
    packages into a file. then you do the same and use 'diff' to find the
    differences. (what's in the file from your system that wasn't in the file
    from the command line system is what you want to remove naturally)

    personally i'd use the alt install cd

    --
    Chris

  8. Re: How to remove ubuntu desktop

    On 2008-04-12, Christopher D. Thompson wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:37:28 -0500, Ignoramus9437 wrote:

    >>> Reading comprehension issues?

    >>> Couldn't be he is just asking a question so he can be prepared could
    >>> it?
    >>>
    >>> You Windows Zealots get dumber with each response.
    >>>

    >> The server is going to go in production when hardy is fully released.
    >>
    >> There is a lot of set up on it that I want to do the right way, with
    >> scripts etc.

    > why not use one of the alternate install cd's and use the command line
    > only option (think thats what the selection calls it). would be the
    > simplest.
    >
    > otherwise get someone with a fresh command line install to list their
    > packages into a file. then you do the same and use 'diff' to find the
    > differences. (what's in the file from your system that wasn't in the file
    > from the command line system is what you want to remove naturally)
    >
    > personally i'd use the alt install cd

    It was not available at the time, otherwise I agree. I use only
    alternate CDs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2