Marvell Yukon Drivers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Marvell Yukon Drivers - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu on my main machine a few months ago but through sheer frustration at not being able to get Ubuntu to recognise my ethernet controller, which is a, Marvell Yukon 88e8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, I gave up ...

  1. Marvell Yukon Drivers

    I installed Ubuntu on my main machine a few months ago but through sheer
    frustration at not being able to get Ubuntu to recognise my ethernet
    controller, which is a, Marvell Yukon 88e8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller, I gave up and reinstalled the horrible Windows XP.

    I would like to try again.... but feel I may face the same frustrations.

    If memory serves, I don't think that Ubuntu recognised the Realtek High
    Definition Audio either.

    Any advice please ..... ?

    James

  2. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    :
    : I would like to try again.... but feel I may face the same frustrations.
    :
    : If memory serves, I don't think that Ubuntu recognised the Realtek High
    : Definition Audio either.
    :
    : Any advice please ..... ?
    :
    : James
    :
    :

    Try the Hardy live CD, see if that recognises the hardware.

  3. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    > "the_constructor" wrote in message
    > :I installed Ubuntu on my main machine a few months ago but through sheer
    > : frustration at not being able to get Ubuntu to recognise my ethernet
    > : controller, which is a, Marvell Yukon 88e8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    > : Controller, I gave up and reinstalled the horrible Windows XP.
    > :
    > : I would like to try again.... but feel I may face the same frustrations.
    > :
    > : If memory serves, I don't think that Ubuntu recognised the Realtek High
    > : Definition Audio either.
    > :
    > : Any advice please ..... ?
    > :
    > : James
    > :
    > :
    >

    > Try the Hardy live CD, see if that recognises the hardware.

    Many thanks for the advice and I took up your suggestion. Yes the Gigabit
    Ethernet controller worked.

    I had a go at the sound and with my speakers turned right up to max, I could
    just about hear sounds. I tried putting speakers in other connections but to
    no
    avail.

    Oh yes, whilst I am typing, I could not alter the screen graphics from
    800 x 600. Display adapter on the board is a NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 405.

    One bit of good news is that my printer works.

    More suggestions please !

    James

  4. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    the_constructor illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Many thanks for the advice and I took up your suggestion. Yes the Gigabit
    > Ethernet controller worked.

    That's good news.

    > I had a go at the sound and with my speakers turned right up to max, I could
    > just about hear sounds. I tried putting speakers in other connections but to
    > no
    > avail.

    You may wish to change the device used in the sound properties. I have
    three drivers. ALSA, OSS and Sigmatel.

    I find Sigmatel works well until it hits a program it doesn't like. In
    such instances, I fall back to ALSA

    System -> Preferences -> Sound

    > Oh yes, whilst I am typing, I could not alter the screen graphics from
    > 800 x 600. Display adapter on the board is a NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 405.

    That is easy to solve if you decide to go for the HD install.

    > One bit of good news is that my printer works.

    That's the second bit. Or do you not remember that your ethernet card
    works. ;-)

    > More suggestions please !

    Yes.

    www.ubuntuguide.org

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:04:57 +0100, "the_constructor"
    wrote:

    >I installed Ubuntu on my main machine a few months ago but through sheer
    >frustration at not being able to get Ubuntu to recognise my ethernet
    >controller, which is a, Marvell Yukon 88e8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    >Controller, I gave up and reinstalled the horrible Windows XP.
    >
    >I would like to try again.... but feel I may face the same frustrations.
    >
    >If memory serves, I don't think that Ubuntu recognised the Realtek High
    >Definition Audio either.
    >
    >Any advice please ..... ?
    >
    >James

    I have 2 P4's using PCI versions of similar cards. One worked fine
    with the Ubuntu version of NDISwrapper the other would not work at all
    until I downloaded NDISwrapper source and compiled it myself. Very
    similar computers both running Ubuntu 7.10. Why the difference I have
    no idea.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  6. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:33:43 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > I have 2 P4's using PCI versions of similar cards. One worked fine
    > with the Ubuntu version of NDISwrapper the other would not work at all
    > until I downloaded NDISwrapper source and compiled it myself. Very

    Typical, ignorant Win-droid solution. Use something Windoze-related to
    solve a simple issue. Pathetic.

    The Marvell card likely uses the "sky2" driver, and works flawlessly in
    Linux, without using some windoze-wrapper bull****.

  7. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:09:38 +0100, the_constructor wrote:

    > Oh yes, whilst I am typing, I could not alter the screen graphics from
    > 800 x 600. Display adapter on the board is a NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 405.

    Do you have the Nvidia (nForce) drivers installed...?

    Gee, I wonder if that would help...

  8. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:33:43 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 P4's using PCI versions of similar cards. One worked fine
    >> with the Ubuntu version of NDISwrapper the other would not work at all
    >> until I downloaded NDISwrapper source and compiled it myself. Very

    > Typical, ignorant Win-droid solution. Use something Windoze-related to
    > solve a simple issue. Pathetic.
    >
    > The Marvell card likely uses the "sky2" driver, and works flawlessly in
    > Linux, without using some windoze-wrapper bull****.

    Actually there are two Marvell Yukon gigabit Ethernet drivers for Linux;
    skln98 (family) and sky2. I've used both on 2.6.22 and earlier kernels.
    The result was that devices that used the older skln98 driver were
    bullet proof. The sky2 driver would wig out occasionally and drop all
    connectivity from layer 2 up; the link light would be on, but that's it.
    Downing the network, bouncing the kernel module and bringing the
    network up again usually sorted everything out.

    It seemed to be pretty consitent problem with the sky2 driver when the
    NIC was busy with many connections (not necessarily heavy bandwidth).
    Maybe newer kernels are a little more stable with the sky2 driver? I
    can't say as I don't have any Marvell Yukon gigabit kit anymore - it's
    all Intel and Broadcom (blergh) now.

    Cheers,

    James

    PS - I agree: NDIS-wrapper is the evil spawn of Satan.

  9. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:49:31 +1000, Centurion
    wrote:

    >Dan C wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:33:43 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 2 P4's using PCI versions of similar cards. One worked fine
    >>> with the Ubuntu version of NDISwrapper the other would not work at all
    >>> until I downloaded NDISwrapper source and compiled it myself. Very

    >> Typical, ignorant Win-droid solution. Use something Windoze-related to
    >> solve a simple issue. Pathetic.
    >>
    >> The Marvell card likely uses the "sky2" driver, and works flawlessly in
    >> Linux, without using some windoze-wrapper bull****.

    >Actually there are two Marvell Yukon gigabit Ethernet drivers for Linux;
    >skln98 (family) and sky2. I've used both on 2.6.22 and earlier kernels.
    > The result was that devices that used the older skln98 driver were
    >bullet proof. The sky2 driver would wig out occasionally and drop all
    >connectivity from layer 2 up; the link light would be on, but that's it.
    > Downing the network, bouncing the kernel module and bringing the
    >network up again usually sorted everything out.
    >
    >It seemed to be pretty consitent problem with the sky2 driver when the
    >NIC was busy with many connections (not necessarily heavy bandwidth).
    >Maybe newer kernels are a little more stable with the sky2 driver? I
    >can't say as I don't have any Marvell Yukon gigabit kit anymore - it's
    >all Intel and Broadcom (blergh) now.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >James
    >
    >PS - I agree: NDIS-wrapper is the evil spawn of Satan.

    Interesting... My problems were with the sk98lin driver. It needed
    to be compiled and I never did manage that. I did manage to get the
    card working using NDISwrapper after a lot of fooling around. I think
    a lot of my problems result from being a n00b and really not knowing
    what I'm doing. Some people in this group are willing to help but
    they are usually the ones without a great deal of experience. Then
    there are the Dan C's who claim to know a lot but won't (can't?) use
    their supposed knowledge to help beginners over a few hurdles.
    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  10. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 22:40:06 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >>> Typical, ignorant Win-droid solution. Use something Windoze-related to
    >>> solve a simple issue. Pathetic.
    >>>
    >>> The Marvell card likely uses the "sky2" driver, and works flawlessly in
    >>> Linux, without using some windoze-wrapper bull****.

    >>Actually there are two Marvell Yukon gigabit Ethernet drivers for Linux;
    >>skln98 (family) and sky2. I've used both on 2.6.22 and earlier kernels.
    >> The result was that devices that used the older skln98 driver were
    >>bullet proof. The sky2 driver would wig out occasionally and drop all
    >>connectivity from layer 2 up; the link light would be on, but that's it.
    >> Downing the network, bouncing the kernel module and bringing the
    >>network up again usually sorted everything out.

    > what I'm doing. Some people in this group are willing to help but
    > they are usually the ones without a great deal of experience. Then
    > there are the Dan C's who claim to know a lot but won't (can't?) use
    > their supposed knowledge to help beginners over a few hurdles.
    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Won't? Can't? Didn't I just tell you the answer right there above?
    Yeah, that was me that said that. Use the "sky2" module and be done with
    it, n00b.

  11. Re: Marvell Yukon Drivers

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:32:58 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    >>>Actually there are two Marvell Yukon gigabit Ethernet drivers for Linux;
    >>>skln98 (family) and sky2. I've used both on 2.6.22 and earlier kernels.
    >>> The result was that devices that used the older skln98 driver were
    >>>bullet proof. The sky2 driver would wig out occasionally and drop all
    >>>connectivity from layer 2 up; the link light would be on, but that's it.
    >>> Downing the network, bouncing the kernel module and bringing the
    >>>network up again usually sorted everything out.

    >> what I'm doing. Some people in this group are willing to help but
    >> they are usually the ones without a great deal of experience. Then
    >> there are the Dan C's who claim to know a lot but won't (can't?) use
    >> their supposed knowledge to help beginners over a few hurdles.
    >> Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    >Won't? Can't? Didn't I just tell you the answer right there above?
    >Yeah, that was me that said that. Use the "sky2" module and be done with
    >it, n00b.

    While I do appreciate your input, though not your attitude, it was one
    of the things I tried unsuccessfully in about a week of dicking about
    with this thing. AND this is a first; you didn't just tell me to
    "bugger off". Thanks.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

+ Reply to Thread