Vista closes in on 150 million sold...! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Vista closes in on 150 million sold...! - Ubuntu ; Stephen J. Rush wrote: > Microsoft stumbles every few years. ┬*Before Vista, there > was the Misbegotten Edition, and before that there was Windows 95 which, > like Vista, was released late but still too early. ME and Vista were ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > Microsoft stumbles every few years. ┬*Before Vista, there
    > was the Misbegotten Edition, and before that there was Windows 95 which,
    > like Vista, was released late but still too early.

    ME and Vista were horrible, but IMHO Windows 95 was a big improvement and a
    great OS for it's time: it could do networking, web browsing and long
    filenames.

    de Kameel

  2. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    On 2008-04-06, Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    > And how many of those Vista sales were new machines that couldn't be
    > purchased without Vista, but will be reformatted for installation of XP
    > or even Linux? Microsoft stumbles every few years. Before Vista, there
    > was the Misbegotten Edition, and before that there was Windows 95 which,
    > like Vista, was released late but still too early. Even earlier, there
    > was DOS 4.0, which almost gave Digital Research a chance to compete.

    I am one of those "vista buyers". I bought a laptop with Vista! The
    first thing I did was, blow away Vista and install Linux. I never even
    connected Vista to the Internet.

    But I am counted asa a "Vista buyer" and not as a "linux buyer".

  3. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    "de Kameel" wrote in message
    : Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    :
    : > Microsoft stumbles every few years. Before Vista, there
    : > was the Misbegotten Edition, and before that there was Windows 95 which,
    : > like Vista, was released late but still too early.
    :
    : ME and Vista were horrible, but IMHO Windows 95 was a big improvement and
    : great OS for it's time: it could do networking, web browsing and long
    : filenames.
    :

    I agree. Moving from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 was a massive improvement.

    ME was and still is disgusting. People still use it, which is just weird.
    Saying that, personally, I never had any problems with it, but everyone else
    did and that was enough for me to hate it.

  4. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    : Saying that, personally, I never had any problems with it, but everyone
    else
    : did and that was enough for me to hate it.
    :

    Vista on the other hand.... *plonk*

  5. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 02:19:08 -0500, Cranky wrote:

    >I spent a few years as a field tech for an internatl company with
    >service calls running the gamut from "How do I turn it on?" home users
    >to major corporate rollouts. (Ever wonder why so many of the really big
    >companies use UNIX rather than M$ products?) Most folks think Windows is
    >great and aren't aware of alternate OSs, nor do most of them care. The
    >average computer user (home/small business) is dangerously lacking in
    >knowledge of security risks and have no idea what a firewall is. Until,
    >that is, their system gets hit and they lose everything because they
    >didn't have enough sense to back things up on external media.

    That's my experience too. I just go along to get along as an IT
    support person.

    >It's the average users and their lack of knowledge and concern that are
    >being EXPLOITED by M$. I can't count howmany times I had to make a
    >judgement call on whether to recommend a customer change over to an
    >alternate OS. Sadly, in most cases they were so computer-illiterate the
    >question was moot. They were pretty much stuck with M$Win simply because
    >even many technicians don't know enough about Linux and other alternate
    >OSs to be helpful if something goes wrong.

    I just sigh and realize that the widespread ignorance is $$$ in my
    pocket.

    >Just for ****s and grins I tried out the preview version of Vista when
    >it was made available and soon trashed it. I installed to a clean HD on
    >a fairly modern system so that shouldn't have been the root of the
    >problems I encountered. It was when the problem reporting system didn't
    >work that I knew it was just another M$ piece of crap being released
    >before it was ready.

    I'm horrified at the generous waste of resources with Vista. Vista is
    not elegant.

    >A 3rd machine, a bit older, is my pet project. After playing around with
    >several different Linux distros I settled on Ubuntu Gutsy because it was
    >exactly what I had been looking for. I'm still learning Linux - - -
    >Gutsy (and the Ubuntu forums) have served me well. I can already see a
    >day in the not-too-distant future when I can finally say bye-bye to
    >BillieCo and not shed a tear or feel any anxiety when I do.

    I used to be pretty good at Sys V UNIX but have gone way stale since
    I've supported Windows machines for years. When Linux came along
    without the major license fees, that was heaven. All of my 6 personal
    machines dual boot XP/Ubuntu and/or use Virtual Box. One triple boots
    with Vista since I have to have familiarity with it as clients get
    Vista machines. I'm trapped like everyone else and can't let go of
    Windows until I'm not in a position to support other people's Windows
    machines.

    >So, for those of you impressed by numbers thrown around my megacorps,
    >well, just go on being impressed and led around by your nose ring.
    >I believe most thinking people would rather do things for themselves and
    >recognize corporate hype (i.e., lies) for what they are.

    I think that's probably true.
    --
    Jim

  6. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    "Ignoramus16353" wrote in message
    newstmdnQGIIvygUmXanZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@giganews.com...

    8<

    > I am one of those "vista buyers". I bought a laptop with Vista! The
    > first thing I did was, blow away Vista and install Linux. I never even
    > connected Vista to the Internet.
    >
    > But I am counted asa a "Vista buyer" and not as a "linux buyer".

    You bought vista. You aren't counted as a user as you haven't activated it.
    I am counted as 74 linux down loaders not one user of two machines BTW.

    You are being counted as a Linux user if you take browser stats, not a vista
    user.

  7. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    In article , netcat wrote:
    >On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:02:58 -0700, Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Read'em and weep all of you linux losers...LOL!
    >>
    >> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista...-Million-Sold-

    >Licenses-82354.shtml
    >>
    >> Frank

    >It's the suckers who coughed up $150 million for a broken DRM-crippled OS
    >that they don't even own who should be weeping...

    ... sadly they are too ignorant to know they should even be sad.

    Please ... do not feed the trolls. It only encourages them

  8. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    In article <47f88298$0$24423$5fc3050@news.tiscali.nl>, de Kameel wrote:
    >Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft stumbles every few years. ┬*Before Vista, there
    >> was the Misbegotten Edition, and before that there was Windows 95 which,
    >> like Vista, was released late but still too early.

    >ME and Vista were horrible, but IMHO Windows 95 was a big improvement and a
    >great OS for it's time: it could do networking, web browsing and long
    >filenames.

    Long file names are not new. The old Apple II+ (running prodos) had only a
    few characters that weren't valid in a file names ... and I never got close
    to the filename character number limit.
    I was amazed how long it took DOS to get past the 8.3 format.

  9. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:58:07 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > You bought vista. You aren't counted as a user as you haven't activated
    > it.

    Really? This time last year they were counting sales into the channel.
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte..._too_high.html

    "Roger Kay, president of Endpoint Technologies, described the licenses as
    "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase
    and use by consumers. Stock sitting on store shelves, whether in boxes or
    on PCs, accounts for a fair number of those licenses."

    "A Microsoft PR spokesperson confirmed that the Vista numbers are for
    sales in, as Kay stated."

  10. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    "Snowbat" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.07.14.05.14.332295@geocities.com...
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:58:07 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> You bought vista. You aren't counted as a user as you haven't activated
    >> it.

    > Really? This time last year they were counting sales into the channel.
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte..._too_high.html

    They are sales figures as it says.
    That would be like download figures for linux.

    > "Roger Kay, president of Endpoint Technologies, described the licenses as
    > "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase
    > and use by consumers. Stock sitting on store shelves, whether in boxes or
    > on PCs, accounts for a fair number of those licenses."
    >
    > "A Microsoft PR spokesperson confirmed that the Vista numbers are for
    > sales in, as Kay stated."
    >

    > --

  11. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    In Snowbat:

    [Snip...]

    > "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase

    Unca Bill is already blatering about vaporware (Windows 7, or WTF), and it
    is glaring now: M$ topdogs knew Vista was DOA from gitgo, years ago.

    Wintrolls are in panic, because clearly His Highness Vista Has No Clothes.

    Meanwhile, back at Ubuntu Ranch, the white hats are saddling fresh horses.

  12. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In Snowbat:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase

    > Unca Bill is already blatering about vaporware (Windows 7, or WTF), and it
    > is glaring now: M$ topdogs knew Vista was DOA from gitgo, years ago.
    >
    > Wintrolls are in panic, because clearly His Highness Vista Has No Clothes.

    > Meanwhile, back at Ubuntu Ranch, the white hats are saddling fresh horses.

    IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$ shills & wintrolls,
    as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions of their new
    distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux bandwagon is
    gathering momentum, & more people are moving away from windows & Vista in
    particular.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > Harold Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In Snowbat:
    >>
    >> [Snip...]
    >>
    >>> "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase

    >> Unca Bill is already blatering about vaporware (Windows 7, or WTF), and
    >> it
    >> is glaring now: M$ topdogs knew Vista was DOA from gitgo, years ago.
    >>
    >> Wintrolls are in panic, because clearly His Highness Vista Has No
    >> Clothes.

    >> Meanwhile, back at Ubuntu Ranch, the white hats are saddling fresh
    >> horses.

    > IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$ shills &
    > wintrolls,
    > as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions of their
    > new
    > distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux bandwagon is
    > gathering momentum, & more people are moving away from windows & Vista in
    > particular.

    Final versions? Beta 3 maybe. All linsux distros are in constant beta.

    The linsux bandwagon is gaining momentum & more people are moving
    away from windows ? You are truly a low life piece of **** lying linsux
    linturd
    if you believe that garbage. What a fool you are billy pooper.

  14. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    ysdywmf wrote:

    "William Poaster" <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> wrote in message news:ldrpc5-d1d.ln1@mandriva2008.archimedes.eu...

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    In <pan.2008.04.07.14.05.14.332295@geocities.com> Snowbat: [Snip...]

    "sales in" to the channel that don't necessarily reflect actual purchase

    Unca Bill is already blatering about vaporware (Windows 7, or WTF), and it is glaring now: M$ topdogs knew Vista was DOA from gitgo, years ago. Wintrolls are in panic, because clearly His Highness Vista Has No Clothes.

    Meanwhile, back at Ubuntu Ranch, the white hats are saddling fresh horses.

    IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$ shills & wintrolls, as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions of their new distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux bandwagon is gathering momentum, & more people are moving away from windows & Vista in particular.

    Final versions? Beta 3 maybe. All linsux distros are in constant beta.

    False

    The linsux bandwagon is gaining momentum & more people are moving away from windows ?

    Unfortunately, most of the everyday users are not moving away from Windows.  Many have never even heard of Linux.  Most will never go to Linux until they can go buy (get) software and hardware that will support Linux out of the box.  They cannot handle searching for drivers and going through some of the installation processes.

    snip

  15. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    measekite wrote:

    > ysdywmf wrote:
    >
    >>"William Poaster" wrote in message

    >>>IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$ shills &
    >>>wintrolls,
    >>>as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions of their
    >>>new
    >>>distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux bandwagon is
    >>>gathering momentum, & more people are moving away from windows & Vista in
    >>>particular.
    >>>

    >>Final versions? Beta 3 maybe. All linsux distros are in constant beta.
    >>

    > False

    True

    >>The linsux bandwagon is gaining momentum & more people are moving
    >>away from windows ?
    >>

    > Unfortunately, most of the everyday users are not moving away from
    > Windows.

    They're no where near as stupid as you are.

    Many have never even heard of Linux.

    That is another linux FUD lie.

    Most will never go...

    True

    > Linux until they can go buy (get) software and hardware that will
    > support Linux out of the box. They cannot handle searching for drivers
    > and going through some of the installation processes.

    You're one of the most ignorant idiots to ever post in any
    ng...heheheh...LOL!
    Frank

  16. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    ysdywmf wrote:

    > "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > > Harold Stevens wrote:
    > >
    > >> In Snowbat:
    > >>
    > >> [Snip...]

    > >> Unca Bill is already blatering about vaporware (Windows 7, or
    > >> WTF), and it
    > >> is glaring now: M$ topdogs knew Vista was DOA from gitgo,
    > >> years ago.
    > >>
    > >> Wintrolls are in panic, because clearly His Highness Vista Has
    > >> No Clothes.

    > >> Meanwhile, back at Ubuntu Ranch, the white hats are saddling
    > >> fresh horses.

    > > IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$
    > > shills & wintrolls,
    > > as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions
    > > of their new
    > > distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux
    > > bandwagon is gathering momentum, & more people are moving away
    > > from windows & Vista in particular.
    > >

    > Final versions? Beta 3 maybe. All linsux distros are in constant
    > beta.
    >
    > The linsux bandwagon is gaining momentum & more people are moving
    > away from windows ? You are truly a low life piece of **** lying
    > linsux linturd
    > if you believe that garbage. What a fool you are billy pooper.

    Thank you for confirming everything WP said.

  17. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    dennis "MD5-Boy" @home wrote:

    > > Really? This time last year they were counting sales into the
    > > channel.
    > > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte..._too_high.html

    > They are sales figures as it says.
    > That would be like download figures for linux.

    They're nothing at *all* like download figures for Linux. Microsoft
    sells almost exclusively to OEM's and resellers. Linux downloads
    are almost entirely done by end users. Microsoft sales figures say
    almost nothing at all about how many copies are actually in use,
    while a very small percentage of Linux downloads will be done by
    people who aren't actually intending to run that software. IOW,
    Microsoft's figures are meaningless, and Linux download figures are
    meaningful.

    Not that anyone expects a dull witted buffoon like you to either
    understand or acknowledge the facts mind you. Feel free to
    embarrass yourself with whatever puerile "IS NOT!" spew your little
    MD5-Boy brain decides is a suitable substitute for intelligent
    rebuttal.

  18. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    "Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
    > dennis "MD5-Boy" @home wrote:
    >
    >> > Really? This time last year they were counting sales into the
    >> > channel.
    >> > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte..._too_high.html

    >> They are sales figures as it says.
    >> That would be like download figures for linux.

    > They're nothing at *all* like download figures for Linux.

    Yes they are.
    Neither says how many are in use.
    One is how many have been sold and one is how many have been downloaded.
    Is that simple enough for you to understand?

    > Microsoft
    > sells almost exclusively to OEM's and resellers. Linux downloads
    > are almost entirely done by end users. Microsoft sales figures say
    > almost nothing at all about how many copies are actually in use,
    > while a very small percentage of Linux downloads will be done by
    > people who aren't actually intending to run that software. IOW,
    > Microsoft's figures are meaningless, and Linux download figures are
    > meaningful.

    You really are stupid.
    If you think any significant percentage of the linux distros downloaded are
    actually in use you must be very thick.

    > Not that anyone expects a dull witted buffoon like you to either
    > understand or acknowledge the facts mind you. Feel free to
    > embarrass yourself with whatever puerile "IS NOT!" spew your little
    > MD5-Boy brain decides is a suitable substitute for intelligent
    > rebuttal.

    You describe yourself so well there.

  19. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Nomen Nescio" wrote in message

    >> Microsoft
    >> sells almost exclusively to OEM's and resellers. Linux downloads
    >> are almost entirely done by end users. Microsoft sales figures say
    >> almost nothing at all about how many copies are actually in use,
    >> while a very small percentage of Linux downloads will be done by
    >> people who aren't actually intending to run that software. IOW,
    >> Microsoft's figures are meaningless, and Linux download figures are
    >> meaningful.

    > You really are stupid.
    > If you think any significant percentage of the linux distros downloaded
    > are actually in use you must be very thick.

    OTOH you can legally download a single copy of Linux and install it on
    an entire data center of blades, or on all PCs in a school or on all PCs
    in your house. And it can be given to friends...
    So, a single downloaded copy of Linux stands for 0, 1, or n
    installations. No-one can tell. Maybe it would make an assignment for a
    student to find out.

    Whether anything can be deduced from the fact that a single Windows
    license sold by Microsoft stands for 0 or 1 installations remains
    equally questionable. You can't even say that if Microsoft says it sold
    150 million licenses, that that was the absolute upper limit of
    installations, as there exist things like volume licenses (at least they
    used to exist).

    Josef M÷llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  20. Re: Vista closes in on 150 million sold...!

    Anonymous Sender wrote:

    > ysdywmf wrote:
    >

    >> "William Poaster" wrote in message

    >> > IMHO we can expect increasing attacks & trolling from the M$
    >> > shills & wintrolls,
    >> > as Mandriva & Ubuntu are expected to release the final versions
    >> > of their new
    >> > distros in the near future. All to no avail, as the Linux
    >> > bandwagon is gathering momentum, & more people are moving away
    >> > from windows & Vista in particular.
    >> >

    >> Final versions? Beta 3 maybe. All linsux distros are in constant
    >> beta.
    >>
    >> The linsux bandwagon is gaining momentum & more people are moving
    >> away from windows ? You are truly a low life piece of **** lying
    >> linsux linturd
    >> if you believe that garbage. What a fool you are billy pooper.

    > Thank you for confirming everything WP said.

    I only saw your reply, but the troll is probably Scott Nudds.
    # Often nym shifts - badly.
    # Is obsessed with excrement when describing Linux and Linux advocates.
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...dds-troll.html

    Bin it & move on.