Please killfile all trolls and ignore them. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Please killfile all trolls and ignore them. - Ubuntu ; Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > >> >> I use slrn and use killfiles extensively. >> > > I prefer using my mouse to be honest. slrn has mouse support. All you need to do is to configure your ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> I use slrn and use killfiles extensively.
    >>

    > I prefer using my mouse to be honest.

    slrn has mouse support. All you need to do is to configure your
    ..slrnrc file to activate it.

    Scroll down to the section
    "% Enable xterm mouse support: 1 to enable, 0 to disable
    set mouse 0 "

    Change the zero to a "1" and voila. You can click away like John
    Clickity-click Slick. Winner of Mr. Click competition 1987.

    You'll probably want to see your editor to a nice clickity click
    editor too. Gvim possibly.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  2. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Holz wrote:
    >>
    >>> who cares what they think and of market surveys??
    >>> They post out of fear.

    >> I'd love a real killfile, but I can't find a Linux client that
    >> has a real one!

    > Thunderbird. See mozilla.com

    Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

  3. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    > Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    > Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

  4. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    >> Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    > And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

    AND it "times out with server" EVERY time I send a post, despite the
    fact that it is clearly sending the posts! Does any reader work nice??

    I'm booting Windows!

  5. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-04-07, Cork Soaker hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >>> I use slrn and use killfiles extensively.
    >>>

    >> I prefer using my mouse to be honest.
    >>

    > Let me see, I'm using slrn too, maybe you could look into "gnus"
    > another powerful and highly configurable news/e-mail client.
    > Haven't used since I switched to slrn 2 years ago.
    >
    > In slrn I have 6 key-presses to adjust the kill-file.
    >
    > "k" "s/f" Subject/From "a" "return" "y" "return" and my fingers
    > don't need to leave the keyboard. This is why i prefer
    > keyboard shortcuts.
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Sounds like Cork Soaker has an honesty problem at times? ;-)

    I use whatever is faster, which is the keyboard in most any situation.

    However, for comparison with your six keystrokes, I just looked at
    Thunderbird. I could add you to the plonk bucket with only three clicks
    of the mouse.

    To be fair, Thunderbird only provides a filter based on From, Subject
    and Date. That, IMHO, is quite weak, and why would someone filter on Date?

    I'd like to filter on other headers, like Newsgroups, to eliminate the
    EMPs which usually contain some Windows or advocacy group.

    As a workaround, I've discovered that plonking just two people has cut
    the number of downloaded messages in half.

    Furthermore, my version of Thunderbird has a "Run Filters on Folder"
    under the tools menu. It is never available (it's dim).

    Just another bug in the Netscape/Mozilla family bloodline, like the loss
    of a 24-hour time display in the message list pane when using us-en.

    Why don't I use a different newsreader? Well, I do, but mostly during
    maintenance of news servers where I don't require all of the display
    ability of Thunderbird, Pan, KNode, Sylpheed-Claws, Evolution, etc., or
    if someone has a question. It's mainly determined on how many news
    servers I need to access, and which servers and subscribed groups are
    configured under which newsreader.

    Thunderbird is for lazy people like me, who like to use the same client
    for news and mail, occasionally view messages with graphics or other
    attachments, and have many years of archived messages.

    I use KLibido for binaries, dropping Pan from that task.

    I play around with slrn, Gnus+Emacs, and those types of clients, but
    have never had the time to sit down and really learn these well enough
    to use them beyond a "hey! that's neat!" status.

    If you have an extra round tuit, I'd appreciate the gift. ;-)

    --
    John

  6. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    * Cork Soaker :

    >> I use slrn and use killfiles extensively.
    >>

    > I prefer using my mouse to be honest.

    slrn has mouse support when running inside of an xterm.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  7. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * Cork Soaker :
    >
    >>> I use slrn and use killfiles extensively.
    >>>

    >> I prefer using my mouse to be honest.
    >>

    > slrn has mouse support when running inside of an xterm.

    But is slrn's mouse really honest?

    --
    John

  8. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    In article , Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    >> Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    >And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

    Reading advocacy groups is its own reward

  9. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    In article , Cork Soaker wrote:
    >Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    >>> Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    >> And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

    >AND it "times out with server" EVERY time I send a post, despite the
    >fact that it is clearly sending the posts! Does any reader work nice??
    >
    >I'm booting Windows!

    Yeah ... I booted it years ago and have never regreted it.

  10. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 23:20:57 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    >>> Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    >> And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

    So don't go there then :-)

    > AND it "times out with server" EVERY time I send a post, despite the
    > fact that it is clearly sending the posts! Does any reader work nice??

    Have you tried Pan?

    Also check out
    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/newsreaders.html

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  11. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well, I'm now using Thunderbird.
    >>> Same as IceApe but looks nicer.

    >> And it crashes and burns when accessing large newsgroups!! (COLA).

    > AND it "times out with server" EVERY time I send a post, despite the
    > fact that it is clearly sending the posts! Does any reader work nice??
    >
    > I'm booting Windows!

    Thunderbird is working fine now! :-)

  12. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:52:41 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Holz wrote:
    >
    >> who cares what they think and of market surveys??
    >> They post out of fear.
    >>

    > I'd love a real killfile, but I can't find a Linux client that has a real
    > one!
    >
    > Scoring my arse!

    This bit I just put in Pan's (~/News/score)

    %BOS[*]
    Score:: = -9999
    %EOS

    Works a treat. I couldn't see a way of doing it in the GUI so I put it in
    manually.

    Now, I would also KF certain individuals but some idiots keep responding
    to them, and the response is no less useless than the original.

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  13. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    "Holz" wrote in message
    > who cares what they think and of market surveys??
    > They post out of fear.

    Fear of what? You? linsux? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

  14. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    ysdywmf wrote:

    ^ Like this ****ing idiot ^

  15. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > ysdywmf wrote:
    >
    > ^ Like this ****ing idiot ^

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  16. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> ysdywmf wrote:
    >>
    >> ^ Like this ****ing idiot ^

    > Please don't feed the trolls.

    Sod off troll.

  17. Re: Please killfile all trolls and ignore them.

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> ysdywmf wrote:
    >>
    >> ^ Like this ****ing idiot ^