Very nice file browser for GNOME? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Very nice file browser for GNOME? - Ubuntu ; I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't laugh and just tell me what I should use. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    laugh and just tell me what I should use.

    I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.

    What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    nicely put together for power users and casual users.

    The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    ..AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    kids and preferably use a large font.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    > GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    > laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >
    > I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    > with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >
    > What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    > would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    > shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    > nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >
    > The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    > .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    > kids and preferably use a large font.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

  3. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    > Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >> I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    >> GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    >> laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >>
    >> I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    >> with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >>
    >> What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    >> would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    >> shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    >> nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >>
    >> The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    >> .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    >> kids and preferably use a large font.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

    thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.

  4. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >>> I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    >>> GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    >>> laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >>>
    >>> I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    >>> with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >>>
    >>> What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    >>> would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    >>> shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    >>> nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >>>
    >>> The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    >>> .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    >>> kids and preferably use a large font.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

    > thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.

    Krusader comes out top in a review I read. I usually avoid anything 'K'
    but this only has one dependency (doesn't need half of KDE like
    Konqueror). Try it: it's in the repositories and is only two packages. I
    like it!

  5. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    > Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    >>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

    >> thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.

    > Krusader comes out top in a review I read. I usually avoid anything 'K'
    > but this only has one dependency (doesn't need half of KDE like
    > Konqueror). Try it: it's in the repositories and is only two packages. I
    > like it!

    I just tried it. I think that indeed, Krusader is more powerful. The
    only thing that I would like to make work in it, is smb: prefix. Any
    idea what I should install?

  6. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:46:38 -0500, Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    > I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    > GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    > laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >
    > I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    > with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >
    > What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    > would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    > shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    > nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >
    > The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    > .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    > kids and preferably use a large font.

    The default (excellent) file browser in Gnome is Nautilus, and should work
    perfectly for this.

  7. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:46:38 -0500, Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >
    >> I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    >> GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    >> laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >>
    >> I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    >> with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >>
    >> What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    >> would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    >> shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    >> nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >>
    >> The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    >> .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    >> kids and preferably use a large font.

    > The default (excellent) file browser in Gnome is Nautilus, and should work
    > perfectly for this.

    I think that it is way inferior to both Gnome Commander and Krusader.

  8. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:40:03 -0500, Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    >> The default (excellent) file browser in Gnome is Nautilus, and should work
    >> perfectly for this.

    > I think that it is way inferior to both Gnome Commander and Krusader.

    Well, all that can be said to that is that you've picked a perfectly
    appropriate posting nickname. Have fun.

  9. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:40:03 -0500, Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >
    >>> The default (excellent) file browser in Gnome is Nautilus, and should work
    >>> perfectly for this.

    >> I think that it is way inferior to both Gnome Commander and Krusader.

    > Well, all that can be said to that is that you've picked a perfectly
    > appropriate posting nickname. Have fun.

    He's not alone. The review I referred to said Nautilus was getting
    better but still well below par.

  10. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:40:03 -0500, Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >
    >>> The default (excellent) file browser in Gnome is Nautilus, and should work
    >>> perfectly for this.

    >> I think that it is way inferior to both Gnome Commander and Krusader.

    > Well, all that can be said to that is that you've picked a perfectly
    > appropriate posting nickname. Have fun.

    Well, you probably never worked with Norton Commander, which was the
    supremest productivity app when it came to managing files quickly. If
    you did, you would realize the benefits of the products that I
    mentioned.

  11. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    In article ,
    Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    > > Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    > >> thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.
    > >>

    > > Krusader comes out top in a review I read. I usually avoid anything 'K'
    > > but this only has one dependency (doesn't need half of KDE like
    > > Konqueror). Try it: it's in the repositories and is only two packages. I
    > > like it!

    > I just tried it. I think that indeed, Krusader is more powerful. The
    > only thing that I would like to make work in it, is smb: prefix. Any
    > idea what I should install?

    You could set up a hierarchy which would automount your shares, then
    browse them as local directories.

    This message was created using recycled electrons.

  12. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >>> I am a command line guy and therefore I am not up to date on latest
    >>> GUI tools. So if what I am asking for is most basic, please don't
    >>> laugh and just tell me what I should use.
    >>>
    >>> I have a computer hooked up to plasma TV. The keyboard is a RF keyboard
    >>> with trackball, and using mouse is cumbersome.
    >>>
    >>> What I am looking for, is a powerful file GUI browser of files, that
    >>> would display thumbnails and previews, have very good keyboard
    >>> shortcuts (think Norton commander from DOS), just a piece that is very
    >>> nicely put together for power users and casual users.
    >>>
    >>> The most typical use of it would be to browse NFS directories with my
    >>> .AVI movies and invoke mplayer to play them. This should be usable by
    >>> kids and preferably use a large font.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

    > thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.

    To think that it has Norton Commander and Midnight Commander as it
    ancestors.

  13. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-02, Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-02, Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    >>> thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.

    >> Krusader comes out top in a review I read. I usually avoid anything 'K'
    >> but this only has one dependency (doesn't need half of KDE like
    >> Konqueror). Try it: it's in the repositories and is only two packages. I
    >> like it!

    > I just tried it. I think that indeed, Krusader is more powerful. The
    > only thing that I would like to make work in it, is smb: prefix. Any
    > idea what I should install?

    Samba. The client and/or the server side.

    Krusader does work with samba just fine.

  14. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    > I just tried it. I think that indeed, Krusader is more powerful. The
    > only thing that I would like to make work in it, is smb: prefix. Any
    > idea what I should install?

    Hactar suggested:
    > You could set up a hierarchy which would automount your shares, then
    > browse them as local directories.

    The autofs stuff is really good for this, as it mounts (and
    unmounts) remote filesystems on demand. The way I use this is to edit
    /etc/auto.master to put the SMB shares (NFS filesystems, etc.) under
    /var/autofs/, and then symlink the required target directories into
    (say) /mnt/:

    cd /mnt && ln -s ../var/autofs/smb/remote.machine.name/target .

    Whenever you browse to /mnt the remote shares will get mounted for
    you automatically. 60 seconds after you go away, they'll get unmounted
    again. You might want to extend the timeout in /etc/auto.master to 5
    minutes (300 seconds) to reduce the number of mount & umount operations.

    Chris

  15. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-03, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-04-02, Ignoramus25047 wrote:

    >>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71400626RVGNKE

    >> thanks. I found Gnome Commander, which seems to be good enough.
    >>

    > To think that it has Norton Commander and Midnight Commander as it
    > ancestors.

    I have great respect for both of these products.

  16. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-03, Chris Davies wrote:
    > Ignoramus25047 wrote:
    >> I just tried it. I think that indeed, Krusader is more powerful. The
    >> only thing that I would like to make work in it, is smb: prefix. Any
    >> idea what I should install?

    > Hactar suggested:
    >> You could set up a hierarchy which would automount your shares, then
    >> browse them as local directories.

    > The autofs stuff is really good for this, as it mounts (and
    > unmounts) remote filesystems on demand. The way I use this is to edit
    > /etc/auto.master to put the SMB shares (NFS filesystems, etc.) under
    > /var/autofs/, and then symlink the required target directories into
    > (say) /mnt/:
    >
    > cd /mnt && ln -s ../var/autofs/smb/remote.machine.name/target .
    >
    > Whenever you browse to /mnt the remote shares will get mounted for
    > you automatically. 60 seconds after you go away, they'll get unmounted
    > again. You might want to extend the timeout in /etc/auto.master to 5
    > minutes (300 seconds) to reduce the number of mount & umount operations.

    Looks interesting. At home I am using NFS (samba is only for the
    spouse's windows laptop), but in other places it looks promising.

  17. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus25047 burped up warm pablum in news:qOOdnWS7KI4Hfm7anZ2dnUVZ_sLinZ2d@giganews.com :

    > Well, you probably never worked with Norton Commander, which was the
    > supremest productivity app when it came to managing files quickly. If
    > you did, you would realize the benefits of the products that I
    > mentioned.

    There is also something called Midnight Commander, mc. This seems to be a version of nc that works in an xterm..

    --
    Tris Orendorff
    [ Anyone naming their child should spend a few minutes checking rhyming slang and dodgy sounding names. Brad and Angelina failed to do this when naming their kid Shiloh Pitt. At some point, someone at school is going to spoonerise her name.

  18. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    On 2008-04-06, Tris Orendorff wrote:
    > Ignoramus25047 burped up warm pablum in news:qOOdnWS7KI4Hfm7anZ2dnUVZ_sLinZ2d@giganews.com :
    >
    >> Well, you probably never worked with Norton Commander, which was the
    >> supremest productivity app when it came to managing files quickly. If
    >> you did, you would realize the benefits of the products that I
    >> mentioned.

    > There is also something called Midnight Commander, mc. This seems
    > to be a version of nc that works in an xterm..

    I tried it, it is no good under X.

    Both Krusader and gnome-commander work very well for me, Krusader is
    slightly better so far. I set them up with large fonts, to be easy to
    use from a RF wireless keyboard with a big screen TV. Krusader is
    basically ideal for it.

  19. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus14041 wrote:

    > Both Krusader and gnome-commander work very well for me, Krusader
    > is slightly better so far. I set them up with large fonts, to be
    > easy to use from a RF wireless keyboard with a big screen TV.
    > Krusader is basically ideal for it.

    I'd add to the fray...

    http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/

    In MY humble opinion it's the best file manager available for Linux.

  20. Re: Very nice file browser for GNOME?

    Ignoramus14041 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-06, Tris Orendorff wrote:
    >> Ignoramus25047 burped up warm pablum in news:qOOdnWS7KI4Hfm7anZ2dnUVZ_sLinZ2d@giganews.com :
    >>
    >>> Well, you probably never worked with Norton Commander, which was the
    >>> supremest productivity app when it came to managing files quickly. If
    >>> you did, you would realize the benefits of the products that I
    >>> mentioned.

    >> There is also something called Midnight Commander, mc. This seems
    >> to be a version of nc that works in an xterm..
    >>

    > I tried it, it is no good under X.
    >
    > Both Krusader and gnome-commander work very well for me, Krusader is
    > slightly better so far. I set them up with large fonts, to be easy to
    > use from a RF wireless keyboard with a big screen TV. Krusader is
    > basically ideal for it.

    Try Thunar, it is kind of like Midnight Commander, but a works in X.

    Z.K.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast