I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and I recently got an error when I put a disc in
the drive.
"Cannot Mount Volume" Invalid mount option when attempting to mount volume.

After some research on the net I learned about the /etc/fstab and one
user said to go to the line that has your cdrom on it. Mine was:
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
and then he said put a # in front of the line save it and exit. This did
solve the problem the cdrom works again in Linux with K3b.

My question is how did the # get taken out of my file? The only other
drives I ever use are thumb drives. Can a thumb drive do something to
the file and knock out the cdrom?
Thanks for any help.