Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote: > Ezekiel wrote: >> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html >> >> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the >> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

  1. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html
    >>
    >> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the
    >> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next 12 months.
    >>
    >> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in PC
    >> hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and enterprise-wide,
    >> while 25 percent said they would be project-by-project.

    > 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    > changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    How many are planning to move to Open Office?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html
    >>>
    >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the
    >>> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next 12
    >>> months.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in PC
    >>> hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and
    >>> enterprise-wide,
    >>> while 25 percent said they would be project-by-project.

    >> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    > How many are planning to move to Open Office?
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    No one that thinks it all the way though or expects to make a career in that
    company.
    --
    Regards, BobF.

  3. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:58:11 -0400
    <1xfutjmn8aw9u$.qdnkd17nw0uw.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html
    >>>
    >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the
    >>> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next 12 months.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in PC
    >>> hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and enterprise-wide,
    >>> while 25 percent said they would be project-by-project.

    >> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    > How many are planning to move to Open Office?

    None, of course. The rest are waiting for Office 2008 or
    2009, like good little sheeple who have been hypnotized
    by the four-color flag waving in the breeze. Just that
    beautiful square-holed flag, waving in the breeze.

    Relaxing, isn't it? Especially while the multicolored
    butterflies flutter by as well.

    You will now go out and buy Vista Ultimate, when I snap
    my fingers.

    *click*

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  4. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:58:11 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-2007-winning-

    converts-survey-says_1.html

    >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in
    >>> the next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next
    >>> 12 months.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in
    >>> PC hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and
    >>> enterprise-wide, while 25 percent said they would be
    >>> project-by-project.

    >> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    > How many are planning to move to Open Office?

    Who knows? Any positive number is a good number.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:09:04 -0400, BobF. wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    converts-survey-says_1.html

    >>> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >>> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    >> How many are planning to move to Open Office?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of
    >> Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > No one that thinks it all the way though or expects to make a career in
    > that company.

    .... in your opinion.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:eKednf8LpeN7W2_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:09:04 -0400, BobF. wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    > converts-survey-says_1.html

    >>> How many are planning to move to Open Office?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb
    >>> Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of
    >>> Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    >> No one that thinks it all the way though or expects to make a career in
    >> that company.

    > ... in your opinion.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some of
    those careers.
    --
    Regards, BobF.

  7. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > when I snap
    > my fingers.
    >
    > *click*

    click? CLICK??

    "when I _snap_ my fingers"

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    > for(; ;

    ....it's "-- "

  8. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:44:36 -0400, BobF. wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:eKednf8LpeN7W2_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:09:04 -0400, BobF. wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >> converts-survey-says_1.html

    >>> No one that thinks it all the way though or expects to make a career
    >>> in that company.

    >> ... in your opinion.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    > workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some
    > of those careers.

    Proud of that, are you? Proud of shortening careers as a reward for
    people trying to improve things?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    --
    Regards, BobF.
    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:eKednf4LpePpSG_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:44:36 -0400, BobF. wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:eKednf8LpeN7W2_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> converts-survey-says_1.html

    >>> ... in your opinion.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    >> workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some
    >> of those careers.

    > Proud of that, are you? Proud of shortening careers as a reward for
    > people trying to improve things?
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Are you kidding! I just shuttled them over to the competition. That's
    where I want them to be. I hope they do well there. I got to go. This is
    too easy. You guys are a big easy target and I'll let others have a chance.
    I can't stand this much fun at my age. Have a good night.
    --
    Regards, BobF.

  10. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    DanS writes:

    >> The CIO is complaining because costs are sky rocketing.
    >> So along comes Roy and suggests that they replace Microsoft Office
    >> with Open Office which is free.
    >> The other managers explain that MSOffice is already paid for, they
    >> have a contract for support that is rolled into a site support
    >> contract and that the employees and the various suppliers are familiar
    >> with MSOffice.
    >>
    >> Roy is persistent and makes a convincing long term deployment case for
    >> Open Office.
    >>
    >> The CIO swallows Roy's line.
    >>
    >> One year later the company can't interact with their suppliers because
    >> the various macros they were running under MSOffice do not work under
    >> Open Office.

    > First, why did it take 1 year to find out SOME macro functions may have
    > not been implemented 100% ?

    Err, because thats how long it can take before audits reveal issues?
    Some functions are not used that frequently? There are many reasons.

    >> Microsoft has now re-evaluated their support contract price due to
    >> their not using MSoffice.
    >> And last but not least the employees are having a difficult time
    >> making their already archive documents import completely and
    >> accurately into Open Office.
    >>
    >> Roy Schestowitz gets fired and decides to go back to school again for
    >> another 15 years of sponging off his parents.
    >> The company is now out of business.

    > Second, ANY good IT person would do testing of all applications to be
    > sure it fit the bill for the company before implementing them.

    Sure. But we are talking Roy leading the push. He hasn't got a clue and
    just assumes it all works.

  11. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "BobF." wrote in message

    > --
    > Regards, BobF.
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:eKednf4LpePpSG_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:44:36 -0400, BobF. wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:eKednf8LpeN7W2_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    >>> workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some
    >>> of those careers.

    >> Proud of that, are you? Proud of shortening careers as a reward for
    >> people trying to improve things?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Are you kidding! I just shuttled them over to the competition. That's
    > where I want them to be. I hope they do well there. I got to go. This
    > is too easy. You guys are a big easy target and I'll let others have a
    > chance. I can't stand this much fun at my age. Have a good night.
    > --
    > Regards, BobF.

    I forgot to add that I like to move these people over to the competition
    because it raised the average IQ of both companies. Great improvement since
    you asked.
    --
    Regards, BobF.

  12. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    * BobF. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    > workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some of
    > those careers.

    Sure you did. I'll bet you were not even a Microsoft MVP, ya big
    windbag.

    --
    No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
    significant number of users want fixed.

  13. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    * BobF. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Are you kidding! I just shuttled them over to the competition. That's
    > where I want them to be. I hope they do well there. I got to go. This is
    > too easy. You guys are a big easy target and I'll let others have a chance.
    > I can't stand this much fun at my age. Have a good night.

    "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

    --
    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
    all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that

  14. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    * BobF. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > --
    > Regards, BobF.
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > >> Here...take these drugs kid! They're free! Ever wonder what are
    > >> motives of people who give away a product for free?

    > > You're a real piece of work. Comparing OSS developers to drug dealers.
    > > Why am I not surprised?

    > > --
    > > Rick

    > Sorry, didn't mean to hit too close to home.

    Hey Mr. VP, you put your message after your sig.

    --
    Life is not fair; get used to it.
    -- Bill Gates

  15. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Hadron wrote in news:fsulgt$fge$2
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>> One year later the company can't interact with their suppliers

    because
    >>> the various macros they were running under MSOffice do not work under
    >>> Open Office.

    >> First, why did it take 1 year to find out SOME macro functions may

    have
    >> not been implemented 100% ?

    > Err, because thats how long it can take before audits reveal issues?
    > Some functions are not used that frequently? There are many reasons.

    Not used frequently, but shuold still tested. I've done a lot of
    regression testing out some products my company sells, and the test have
    always included ALL functions, no matter how small, or how old. If the
    features are there, they are tested.

    >>> Microsoft has now re-evaluated their support contract price due to
    >>> their not using MSoffice.
    >>> And last but not least the employees are having a difficult time
    >>> making their already archive documents import completely and
    >>> accurately into Open Office.
    >>>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz gets fired and decides to go back to school again for
    >>> another 15 years of sponging off his parents.
    >>> The company is now out of business.

    >> Second, ANY good IT person would do testing of all applications to be
    >> sure it fit the bill for the company before implementing them.

    > Sure. But we are talking Roy leading the push. He hasn't got a clue and
    > just assumes it all works.

    'So let's take OpenOffice for example and let's take a fictious person
    who just got their first job (finally) out of college.'

    No, we are talking about a fictious person is what was said...right out
    of college.

    Let me explain the problems with this situation.

    First, Moogie Goldfart chose to name this fictious person after a real
    person. You can not make any assumptions about this person in this
    *hypothetical* situation.

    Second, this person is right out of college. Noone 'right out of
    college' knows how the real-world IT departments work. They were fed
    theory and hands on in a computer lab.

    Third, no CFO would let a 22 year-old, just out of college, IT guy let
    them talk their way into this *hypothetical* situation.

  16. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    DanS writes:

    > Hadron wrote in news:fsulgt$fge$2
    > @registered.motzarella.org:

    > because
    >>>
    >>> First, why did it take 1 year to find out SOME macro functions may

    > have
    >>> not been implemented 100% ?

    >> Err, because thats how long it can take before audits reveal issues?
    >> Some functions are not used that frequently? There are many reasons.

    > Not used frequently, but shuold still tested. I've done a lot of

    Of course it SHOULD be tested. You asked how it might happen. In reality
    things get missed especially in a big company with compartmentalised
    functionalities.

    > regression testing out some products my company sells, and the test have
    > always included ALL functions, no matter how small, or how old. If the
    > features are there, they are tested.

    You seem to have got mixed up or confused. We are not talking about
    stuff your company sells. We are talking about a company with a legacy
    infrastructure that might have developed haphazardly over many years
    suddenly having Open Office foisted on them by a zealot who assumes it
    will all just work. Big difference.

  17. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    collider?

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote in news:fsulgt$fge$2
    >> @registered.motzarella.org:

    >> because

    >> have
    >>>
    >>> Err, because thats how long it can take before audits reveal issues?
    >>> Some functions are not used that frequently? There are many reasons.

    >> Not used frequently, but shuold still tested. I've done a lot of

    > Of course it SHOULD be tested. You asked how it might happen. In reality
    > things get missed especially in a big company with compartmentalised
    > functionalities.
    >

    >> regression testing out some products my company sells, and the test have
    >> always included ALL functions, no matter how small, or how old. If the
    >> features are there, they are tested.

    > You seem to have got mixed up or confused. We are not talking about
    > stuff your company sells. We are talking about a company with a legacy
    > infrastructure that might have developed haphazardly over many years
    > suddenly having Open Office foisted on them by a zealot who assumes it
    > will all just work. Big difference.

  18. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    BobF. wrote:

    > Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    > workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some of
    > those careers.
    > --
    > Regards, BobF.

    SURE you did, Boob.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Pride is what we have. Pity is what others have.

    Good to the last supper

  19. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > BobF. wrote:
    >
    >> Yup, as a retired VP of a fortune 500 company, overseeing about 100,000
    >> workstations. I talked softly, carried a big stick and shortened some of
    >> those careers.
    >> --
    >> Regards, BobF.

    > SURE you did, Boob.

    Maybe you two know each other from some kind of "big shot" golf meet?

    --
    It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops.

  20. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Julie

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:51:06 -0800
    <47f2beee$0$7274$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >> when I snap
    >> my fingers.
    >>
    >> *click*

    > click? CLICK??
    >
    > "when I _snap_ my fingers"

    What is this, April Pedant's Day? :-P

    >> --
    >> #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    >> Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    >> for(; ;

    Blame it on Teranews, who wants to generate their own
    siggy and mangle mine. It's dash dash space in the text
    file I'm editing here, as it should be.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast