Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu ; Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote: > >> Ezekiel wrote: >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html >>> >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the >>> next six months and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 78 of 78

  1. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html
    >>>
    >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the
    >>> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next 12 months.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in PC
    >>> hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and enterprise-wide,
    >>> while 25 percent said they would be project-by-project.

    >> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    > How many are planning to move to Open Office?

    Quite a large number I should think. First, the survey only covered
    North America and Europe, population about 600 million or about 10% of
    the world population. But of course most of the African continent uses
    Ubuntu, then there's a few billion people in China where Yellow Dog
    Linux rules not to mention South America where Mandrake dominates. I am
    pretty certain that worldwide. OO outstrips M$ Office by a handsome margin.

    Cheers

    Ian

  2. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Moog" wrote in message

    > 87.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

    86.7%, you transposed a couple of digits. ;-)

    "

  3. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    chrisv wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:

    >>> No, they are not "open". What kind of an idiot are you?
    >>>
    >>> If M$ were to "open" their document formats, competitors could easily
    >>> create similar products that really "nail" the compatibility with M$
    >>> Office. Right now, there's enough uncertainty regarding compatibility
    >>> that most companies will not switch.

    >>You are wrong.. they are open, you can download the spec if you want.
    >>So now go away and learn something useful.

    > I'll give you that you referenced a document that appears to support
    > your case. However, I remain deeply suspicious - I have a feeling
    > that those who would accept that M$ is "open" with their document
    > formats would be good candidates to sell bridges to.

    This disclaimer comes with the supposed "open" document:

    [...]

    The information contained in this document represents the point-in-time view
    of Microsoft Corporation on the issues discussed as of the date of
    publication. Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions,
    it should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Microsoft,
    and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information presented
    after the date of authoring.

    [...]

    So, Microsoft will "respond to changing market conditions" by "innovating"
    their file formats to once again make them unreadable by their competitors.

    The document is useless except to provide support for legacy formats.
    New formats will be as unreadable as ever, and require reverse engineering.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
    > message news:j0gdc5-9br.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...
    >

    >> They've also been hacked six ways from Sunday, as well -- OO in
    >> particular can read proprietary Word files from various versions
    >> without difficulty.

    > I would hope so.. the formats have been public knowledge for ages.
    >
    > Now M$ even state they won't try and stop you (conditions apply).

    If (conditions apply) the formats are not open.

    Microsoft have been forced to provide a snapshot. The next Word release will
    once again have changes requiring competitors to reverse engineer to ensure
    even a modicum of compatibility.

    Microsoft continues to stifle rapid communication across the world for the
    sake of their own profits.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  5. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:MO3Jj.28763$r76.7016@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> * caver1 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Obviously you don't know because it ain't. There are the same problems
    >>> between 2007 and 2003 as there is between 2007 and OO, in a business
    >>> environment. This I know as a fact and first hand.

    >> dennis never heard of *.docx, apparently.

    > You don't understand what you say.
    >
    > Have you put the fixes on M$ office so it works?
    > Obviously not!
    > Do you keep your OSS up to date? Why?

    Even with the fixes in 2007, and OO, Formating doesn't always stay the
    same in 2003 or OO, Graphs come out quite different.
    caver1

  6. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:MO3Jj.28763$r76.7016@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> Obviously you don't know because it ain't. There are the same problems
    >>> between 2007 and 2003 as there is between 2007 and OO, in a business
    >>> environment. This I know as a fact and first hand.

    >> dennis never heard of *.docx, apparently.

    > You don't understand what you say.
    >
    > Have you put the fixes on M$ office so it works?

    I only use it at work, and it is an old version (Office XP).

    > Obviously not!

    I'm not in charge of the budget. We can't even get an upgrade to Visual
    Studio.

    If there is a free plugin that works with Office XP, well, cool. I'll
    look for it when someone sends us a docx.

    Otherwise, I get annoyed at the gratuitous interface or menu changes
    that occur from version to version of Word. Annoying.

    > Do you keep your OSS up to date?

    Yes.

    > Why?

    It is free and easy.

    --
    There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
    number of users want fixed.

  7. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 21:54:49 +0100, "dennis@home"
    wrote:

    >"Moog" wrote in message
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone wants
    >>> it. Almost no one (% wise) uses it. This is a fact.

    >> Actually. I've removed MS Office and installed OOo cross network,
    >> and none of the staff have said a word.
    >>
    >> I can only assume that they didn't actually use MS office at all.

    >Its probably also true that many installs of OO aren't used.. it is
    >installed by default on many distros even if the user doesn't know it
    >exists.
    >
    >> Oh and...because of that, how will the machines I administer fall into
    >> your %ge?

    >The same as any other stats. ;-)

    // valid code in most languages-

    statistics = lies + more_lies;
    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  8. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >

    >> 87.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

    > 86.7%, you transposed a couple of digits. ;-)

    Heh

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    >You said you hate M$, I can't trust you after that.
    >You made your bed, you lie on it.

    Rather ironic, coming from the documented liar dumbass@home.

  10. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>You said you hate M$, I can't trust you after that.
    >>You made your bed, you lie on it.

    > Rather ironic, coming from the documented liar dumbass@home.

    Go on then produce the proof you cretin.

  11. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    proven liar dumbass@home wrote:

    > "chrisv" wrote:
    >>
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>>You said you hate M$, I can't trust you after that.
    >>>You made your bed, you lie on it.

    >> Rather ironic, coming from the documented liar dumbass@home.

    > Go on then produce the proof you cretin.

    Proof of what, dumbass? You write like an idiot.

    Surely, you don't think I need to post a simple google link with
    search-terms "dumbass liar documented", do you?

  12. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    chrisv wrote:

    >dennis@home wrote:

    >>> Almost anything that lessens business for Microsoft is a good thing.
    >>> Yeah, that's the anti-MS bias in me.

    >>So its reasonable to disregard anything you say as it has a bias which works
    >>against the users interests.

    >Nope. That would not be reasonable. There is no evidence at all that
    >his bias "works against the users interests".
    >
    >>All you want to do is remove choice,

    >Again, a statement from you so utterly unsubstantiated, that I will
    >call it a LIE.
    >
    >There is no indication that he want to "remove choice". He is clearly
    >biased toward Linux because he WANTS choice. He, like many of us,
    >WANT to see more a MORE-BALANCED market, instead of the M$-dominated
    >one we have today. A MORE-BALANCED market ENSURES choice.
    >
    >Linux and OSS are not the ones who are threatening to stomp Micro$oft
    >into oblivion, dumbass. Linux and OSS are fighting for their lives,
    >against a behemoth who wants to stomp THEM into oblivion.
    >
    >>not make things better for the user.

    >Nope. You are lying. All Linux advocates want to makes things better
    >for the user.
    >
    >Note that this means CHOICE. It does NOT mean making Micro$oft
    >unavailable to those who want it.

    Dumbass@home lies documented.

  13. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.07.14.29.48.916061@nospam.invalid...
    > proven liar dumbass@home wrote:

    >>> Rather ironic, coming from the documented liar dumbass@home.

    >> Go on then produce the proof you cretin.

    > Proof of what, dumbass? You write like an idiot.

    You read like an idiot.
    The last thing you said was documented liar.
    So Prove it, you should be able to produce the documents.

    > Surely, you don't think I need to post a simple google link with
    > search-terms "dumbass liar documented", do you?

    You prove you aren't a liar as well as a cretin.

  14. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>dennis@home wrote:

    >>>So its reasonable to disregard anything you say as it has a bias which
    >>>works
    >>>against the users interests.

    >>Nope. That would not be reasonable. There is no evidence at all that
    >>his bias "works against the users interests".
    >>
    >>>All you want to do is remove choice,

    >>Again, a statement from you so utterly unsubstantiated, that I will
    >>call it a LIE.
    >>
    >>There is no indication that he want to "remove choice". He is clearly
    >>biased toward Linux because he WANTS choice. He, like many of us,
    >>WANT to see more a MORE-BALANCED market, instead of the M$-dominated
    >>one we have today. A MORE-BALANCED market ENSURES choice.
    >>
    >>Linux and OSS are not the ones who are threatening to stomp Micro$oft
    >>into oblivion, dumbass. Linux and OSS are fighting for their lives,
    >>against a behemoth who wants to stomp THEM into oblivion.
    >>
    >>>not make things better for the user.

    >>Nope. You are lying. All Linux advocates want to makes things better
    >>for the user.
    >>
    >>Note that this means CHOICE. It does NOT mean making Micro$oft
    >>unavailable to those who want it.

    > Dumbass@home lies documented.

    You are really stupid, there are no lies by me there.
    Sod off back to advocacy.

  15. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    proven liar dumbass@home wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote:
    >>
    >> proven liar dumbass@home wrote:

    >>> Go on then produce the proof you cretin.

    >> Proof of what, dumbass? You write like an idiot.

    >You read like an idiot.
    >The last thing you said was documented liar.
    >So Prove it, you should be able to produce the documents.
    >>
    >> Surely, you don't think I need to post a simple google link with
    >> search-terms "dumbass liar documented", do you?

    >You prove you aren't a liar as well as a cretin.

    Here's you lying, claiming, among other things, that Rick wants to
    "remove choice".

    <1rl9v398888ouhf8cdt0ttpd784qgd6s6i@4ax.com>

    Poor dumbass@home. You don't get to place your own stupid, dishonest
    interpretation of what someone wrote, and then claim that they think
    that. That makes you a liar.

    Here's you lying, claiming the Linux advocates lie about Linux being
    "invulnerable".

    Poor dumbass@home. Lying, while calling other people liars, makes you
    a piece of ****.

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > proven liar dumbass@home wrote:

    >>> Proof of what, dumbass? You write like an idiot.

    >>You read like an idiot.
    >>The last thing you said was documented liar.
    >>So Prove it, you should be able to produce the documents.
    >>>
    >>> Surely, you don't think I need to post a simple google link with
    >>> search-terms "dumbass liar documented", do you?

    >>You prove you aren't a liar as well as a cretin.

    > Here's you lying, claiming, among other things, that Rick wants to
    > "remove choice".

    You are a moron.
    That isn't a lie it is my opinion of what he said means.
    Sod off and play with the other children.

    > <1rl9v398888ouhf8cdt0ttpd784qgd6s6i@4ax.com>
    >
    > Poor dumbass@home. You don't get to place your own stupid, dishonest
    > interpretation of what someone wrote, and then claim that they think
    > that. That makes you a liar.
    >
    > Here's you lying, claiming the Linux advocates lie about Linux being
    > "invulnerable".

    That is not a lie you moron, some linux advocates do claim linux is
    invulnerable as do some users who say they are not advocates.

    Sod off.

    > Poor dumbass@home. Lying, while calling other people liars, makes you
    > a piece of ****.

    You are either so stupid that I can't believe you managed to type the
    message or a liar.
    I think you are both BTW.

    Sod off back to advocacy with the other children.

  17. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    chrisv wrote:

    > Here's you lying, claiming, among other things, that Rick wants to
    > "remove choice".
    >
    > <1rl9v398888ouhf8cdt0ttpd784qgd6s6i@4ax.com>
    >
    > Poor dumbass@home. *You don't get to place your own stupid, dishonest
    > interpretation of what someone wrote, and then claim that they think
    > that. *That makes you a liar.
    >
    > Here's you lying, claiming the Linux advocates lie about Linux being
    > "invulnerable".
    >

    > Poor dumbass@home. *Lying, while calling other people liars, makes you
    > a piece of ****.

    don't you realize, that you are responding to Hadron Quark?
    why don't you killfile this fool & forget about it.

  18. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    none of your buisiness writes:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Here's you lying, claiming, among other things, that Rick wants to
    >> "remove choice".
    >>
    >> <1rl9v398888ouhf8cdt0ttpd784qgd6s6i@4ax.com>
    >>
    >> Poor dumbass@home. *You don't get to place your own stupid, dishonest
    >> interpretation of what someone wrote, and then claim that they think
    >> that. *That makes you a liar.
    >>
    >> Here's you lying, claiming the Linux advocates lie about Linux being
    >> "invulnerable".
    >>

    >> Poor dumbass@home. *Lying, while calling other people liars, makes you
    >> a piece of ****.

    > don't you realize, that you are responding to Hadron Quark?
    > why don't you killfile this fool & forget about it.

    Except he isn't.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4