Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months - Ubuntu ; Rick wrote: > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:55:41 +0200, Hadron wrote: > >> NoStop writes: >> >>> Hadron wrote: >>> >>>> chrisv writes: >>>> >>>>> dennis@home wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> How much would OO cost if there wasn't a choice? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Thread: Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

  1. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:55:41 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> chrisv writes:
    >>>>
    >>>>> dennis@home wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> How much would OO cost if there wasn't a choice?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That's a non-sequitur. There's always "a choice" of word
    >>>>> processors and such. Word processors and spreadsheets are a
    >>>>> very mature technology, and should be very inexpensive if not
    >>>>> free (at least for light- or medium-duty products sufficient for
    >>>>> the vast majority of users).
    >>>>
    >>>> Should standard cars and bicycles be free too you tight fisted f@ck
    >>>> up?
    >>>>
    >>>> The reason OO is "free" is because hardly any one wants it.
    >>>>
    >>> Oh, so it has nothing to do with being licensed under the GPL, Mr.
    >>> non-COLA Linux Advocate? You are one sick puppy.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >>
    >> What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone
    >> wants it.

    >
    > The fact is, very few people know about it.
    >
    >> Almost no one (% wise) uses it. This is a fact.

    >
    > Quite true, However, if vendors could be convinced to start bundling
    > it, the % would increase.


    That would only increase the % of people who had it, not the % of people who
    actually use it.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  2. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months


    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:1xfutjmn8aw9u$.qdnkd17nw0uw.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:36:53 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ey-says_1.html
    >>>
    >>> The survey also showed that 43 percent plan to deploy Office 2007 in the
    >>> next six months and that 29 percent plan rollouts within the next 12
    >>> months.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, 43 percent said those rollouts were tied to upgrades in PC
    >>> hardware, 32 percent said their rollouts would be broad and
    >>> enterprise-wide,
    >>> while 25 percent said they would be project-by-project.

    >>
    >> 32% of 72% is 23%. So 23% are planning "broad and enterprise-wide"
    >> changes to Office 2007 in the next year.

    >
    > How many are planning to move to Open Office?


    Likely more than 28%, my company has a no-go-not supported on Office 2007.
    You send it, so bad. I/T is going to support it. You want it, your cheap
    assed manager is going to have to pay for it out of his cheap budget. Worse
    yet, support it.

    LOL.

    Me, OpenOffice for over 3 years. MS-Office, you still use that? OMG...



  3. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Rick" stated in post
    T5qdne1NBvacoWnanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/2/08 7:08 PM:

    >>> You're now saying "average people' can wipe the OS from the EEE and
    >>> then install Windows with no problems?

    >>
    >> Millions have formatted a disk and installed Windows without problems.

    >
    > Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems. And
    > yet Moshe seems to think average people can;t do it.


    If so many millions have done it then why is it that Linux has yet to hit
    over 1% of the desktop market? So much for your idea that people don't want
    to try something different!


    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates



  4. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Rick" stated in post
    T5qdnfRNBvbOjGnanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/2/08 4:05 PM:

    >> M$ file formats are open in case you didn't know. Anyone can use them
    >> for non profit.. if you want to make a profit from them then buy M$
    >> office, otherwise wait for OO to support them properly. It is only a
    >> matter of time unless the OO writers decide not to support the published
    >> M$ formats. If OO doesn't support the formats you can't say M$ didn't
    >> tell them what they are.

    >
    > Microsoft didn't tell them what they are.


    They have now.


    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.


  5. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    "Rick" stated in post
    T5qdnfpNBvZ4jWnanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/2/08 4:04 PM:

    >> What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone wants
    >> it.

    >
    > The fact is, very few people know about it.


    Rick 1:
    Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems.

    Rick 2:
    The fact is, very few people know about it [Linux].

    Which do you *really* believe?


    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not
    beautiful, I know it is wrong. -- R. Buckminster Fuller


  6. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    caver1 wrote:
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> "caver1" wrote in message
    >> news:47f38974$0$1096$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>
    >>
    >>> No its not me being stupid. If 2007 wasn't about MS's bottom line
    >>> then why make it not compatible with their previous versions? Because
    >>> then eventually most all businesses would upgrade to be compatible
    >>> with every one else instead of by choice or need.
    >>> OO is no threat to MS so 2007 is costly.

    >>
    >>
    >> It is compatible.
    >> If you think it isn't then I suggest you try it before you pass judgment.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Obviously you don't know because it ain't. There are the same problems
    > between 2007 and 2003 as there is between 2007 and OO, in a business
    > environment. This I know as a fact and first hand.
    > caver1
    > caver1


    There is a patch on office update that fixes the compat problem between
    Office 07 & 03.
    Frank

  7. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    * caver1 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> No its not me being stupid. If 2007 wasn't about MS's bottom line then
    >>> why make it not compatible with their previous versions? Because then
    >>> eventually most all businesses would upgrade to be compatible with
    >>> every one else instead of by choice or need.
    >>> OO is no threat to MS so 2007 is costly.

    >>
    >> It is compatible.
    >> If you think it isn't then I suggest you try it before you pass judgment.

    >
    > Obviously you don't know because it ain't. There are the same problems
    > between 2007 and 2003 as there is between 2007 and OO, in a business
    > environment. This I know as a fact and first hand.


    dennis never heard of *.docx, apparently.

    --
    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
    all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that
    it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the
    first place.
    -- Douglas Adams

  8. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Snit wrote:
    > "Rick" stated in post
    > T5qdnfRNBvbOjGnanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/2/08 4:05 PM:
    >
    >>> M$ file formats are open in case you didn't know. Anyone can use them
    >>> for non profit.. if you want to make a profit from them then buy M$
    >>> office, otherwise wait for OO to support them properly. It is only a
    >>> matter of time unless the OO writers decide not to support the published
    >>> M$ formats. If OO doesn't support the formats you can't say M$ didn't
    >>> tell them what they are.

    >> Microsoft didn't tell them what they are.

    >
    > They have now.
    >
    >



    Only because they were force to.
    caver1

  9. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems.
    >> And yet Moshe seems to think average people can;t do it.

    >
    >That's a poor attempt to obfuscate the topic. Julie nailed you and you can't
    >stand it.


    Ignore the forger.


  10. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote:
    >>
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>>
    >>>M$ file formats are open in case you didn't know.

    >>
    >> No, they are not "open". What kind of an idiot are you?
    >>
    >> If M$ were to "open" their document formats, competitors could easily
    >> create similar products that really "nail" the compatibility with M$
    >> Office. Right now, there's enough uncertainty regarding compatibility
    >> that most companies will not switch.

    >
    >You are wrong.. they are open, you can download the spec if you want.
    >So now go away and learn something useful.


    I'll give you that you referenced a document that appears to support
    your case. However, I remain deeply suspicious - I have a feeling
    that those who would accept that M$ is "open" with their document
    formats would be good candidates to sell bridges to.


  11. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    > M$ file formats are open in case you didn't know.


    Oh, please, tell me where I can get a specification of WMA and WMV, so I
    can finally write a player for these formats and give it away to the
    FOSS people for free.
    Most likely I can get it from Microsoft at a "reasonable" fee after
    having signed some NDA. Or the licensing agreement is non-compatible
    with the GPL.

    --
    These are my personal views and not those of Fujitsu Siemens Computers!
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T. Pratchett)
    Company Details: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html

  12. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    >"Rick" wrote:
    >>
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> How many are planning to move to Open Office?
    >>>>
    >>>> Who knows? Any positive number is a good number.
    >>>
    >>> Why is it?

    >>
    >> Almost anything that lessens business for Microsoft is a good thing.
    >> Yeah, that's the anti-MS bias in me.

    >
    >So its reasonable to disregard anything you say as it has a bias which works
    >against the users interests.


    Nope. That would not be reasonable. There is no evidence at all that
    his bias "works against the users interests".

    >All you want to do is remove choice,


    Again, a statement from you so utterly unsubstantiated, that I will
    call it a LIE.

    There is no indication that he want to "remove choice". He is clearly
    biased toward Linux because he WANTS choice. He, like many of us,
    WANT to see more a MORE-BALANCED market, instead of the M$-dominated
    one we have today. A MORE-BALANCED market ENSURES choice.

    Linux and OSS are not the ones who are threatening to stomp Micro$oft
    into oblivion, dumbass. Linux and OSS are fighting for their lives,
    against a behemoth who wants to stomp THEM into oblivion.

    >not make things better for the user.


    Nope. You are lying. All Linux advocates want to makes things better
    for the user.

    Note that this means CHOICE. It does NOT mean making Micro$oft
    unavailable to those who want it.


  13. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months



    "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    news:j0gdc5-9br.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...


    > They've also been hacked six ways from Sunday, as well -- OO in
    > particular can read proprietary Word files from various versions
    > without difficulty.


    I would hope so.. the formats have been public knowledge for ages.

    Now M$ even state they won't try and stop you (conditions apply).




  14. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    BobF. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    >> Are you kidding! I just shuttled them over to the competition. That's
    >> where I want them to be. I hope they do well there. I got to go. This
    >> is too easy. You guys are a big easy target and I'll let others have a
    >> chance. I can't stand this much fun at my age. Have a good night.
    >> --
    >> Regards, BobF.

    >
    > I forgot to add that I like to move these people over to the competition
    > because it raised the average IQ of both companies. Great improvement since
    > you asked.


    Ladies and Gentlemen....
    Put your hand together please for...

    The Prime Minister of Cuckoo Land.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone wants
    > it. Almost no one (% wise) uses it. This is a fact.


    Actually. I've removed MS Office and installed OOo cross network,
    and none of the staff have said a word.

    I can only assume that they didn't actually use MS office at all.

    Oh and...because of that, how will the machines I administer fall into
    your %ge?

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  16. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months



    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:MO3Jj.28763$r76.7016@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    > * caver1 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> No its not me being stupid. If 2007 wasn't about MS's bottom line then
    >>>> why make it not compatible with their previous versions? Because then
    >>>> eventually most all businesses would upgrade to be compatible with
    >>>> every one else instead of by choice or need.
    >>>> OO is no threat to MS so 2007 is costly.
    >>>
    >>> It is compatible.
    >>> If you think it isn't then I suggest you try it before you pass
    >>> judgment.

    >>
    >> Obviously you don't know because it ain't. There are the same problems
    >> between 2007 and 2003 as there is between 2007 and OO, in a business
    >> environment. This I know as a fact and first hand.

    >
    > dennis never heard of *.docx, apparently.


    You don't understand what you say.

    Have you put the fixes on M$ office so it works?
    Obviously not!
    Do you keep your OSS up to date? Why?



  17. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home wrote:

    >
    >
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:T5qdnfFNBvYuj2nanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >
    >> So, no updates for you. Ever. Then you don't have to worry about any
    >> retraining.

    >
    > So what.. why do you think constant updates are a good thing?
    > Ubuntu's rolling six month releases are one of the stupidest ideas yet.
    >

    Yep, we all know how SLOW you are Dennis. But really, doing it the
    Microsoft-way of rolling out releases every 6 YEARS is a bit lame, isn't
    it? Then again, maybe that's all a dimwit like you can handle.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu - where the lunatic Hadron is a "Linux advocate"

    Francis (Frank) adds a new "gadget" to his Vista box ...
    Download it here: http://tinyurl.com/2hnof6



  18. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months



    "chrisv" wrote in message
    news:lfk9v3pdq2nbjduviqjmnkg9k7hf4rqjul@4ax.com...


    > I'll give you that you referenced a document that appears to support
    > your case. However, I remain deeply suspicious - I have a feeling
    > that those who would accept that M$ is "open" with their document
    > formats would be good candidates to sell bridges to.
    >


    Would you like the one for excel 2007?
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...cification.xps

    Its the xps version.. I was bored with pdf.


  19. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months



    "Moog" wrote in message
    news:65kshdF2g1kt1U4@mid.individual.net...
    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone wants
    >> it. Almost no one (% wise) uses it. This is a fact.

    >
    > Actually. I've removed MS Office and installed OOo cross network,
    > and none of the staff have said a word.
    >
    > I can only assume that they didn't actually use MS office at all.


    Its probably also true that many installs of OO aren't used.. it is
    installed by default on many distros even if the user doesn't know it
    exists.

    > Oh and...because of that, how will the machines I administer fall into
    > your %ge?


    The same as any other stats. ;-)


  20. Re: 72% of companies to upgrade to MS-Office 2007 within 12 months

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >
    > "Moog" wrote in message
    > news:65kshdF2g1kt1U4@mid.individual.net...
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> What part of my post confuses you? The fact is that hardly anyone wants
    >>> it. Almost no one (% wise) uses it. This is a fact.

    >>
    >> Actually. I've removed MS Office and installed OOo cross network,
    >> and none of the staff have said a word.
    >>
    >> I can only assume that they didn't actually use MS office at all.

    >
    > Its probably also true that many installs of OO aren't used.. it is
    > installed by default on many distros even if the user doesn't know it
    > exists.


    So. If the estimated 100 million users of Office and the thirty users of
    OOo aren't actually users at all (as my experiment suggests) then
    that also means that 0% of statistics are actually accurate.

    >> Oh and...because of that, how will the machines I administer fall into
    >> your %ge?

    >
    > The same as any other stats. ;-)


    87.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast