Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2 - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:10:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed Linux: Free for 10+ years and still languishing at 0.6 percent of the desktop market. It's 0.8 percent if you listen to the ...

  1. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:10:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    Linux: Free for 10+ years and still languishing at 0.6 percent of the
    desktop market. It's 0.8 percent if you listen to the BBC. I think that
    number is too high though.

    Something is seriously wrong when an operating system and a zillion
    applications can't be given away.

    Is Linux really *that bad* ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:04:44 -0400
    <1liadee26zhw.1l7t5c597cjoj$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:10:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    > Linux: Free for 10+ years and still languishing at 0.6 percent of the
    > desktop market. It's 0.8 percent if you listen to the BBC. I think that
    > number is too high though.
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong when an operating system and a zillion
    > applications can't be given away.
    >
    > Is Linux really *that bad* ?

    Yes, it's absolutely horrid, as everyone well knows (and if
    they don't you'll gladly tell them I reckon). That's why
    Vista is proceeding at a 4.6 year linear adoption rate,
    which for some reason doesn't quite match the 3 year
    general depreciation rate.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux makes one use one's mind.
    Windows just messes with one's head.

  3. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:04:44 -0400
    > <1liadee26zhw.1l7t5c597cjoj$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:10:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    >> Linux: Free for 10+ years and still languishing at 0.6 percent of the
    >> desktop market. It's 0.8 percent if you listen to the BBC. I think
    >> that number is too high though.
    >>
    >> Something is seriously wrong when an operating system and a zillion
    >> applications can't be given away.
    >>
    >> Is Linux really *that bad* ?
    >>

    > Yes, it's absolutely horrid, as everyone well knows (and if
    > they don't you'll gladly tell them I reckon). That's why
    > Vista is proceeding at a 4.6 year linear adoption rate,
    > which for some reason doesn't quite match the 3 year
    > general depreciation rate.

    Obfuscation attempt at its finest.

  4. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, relic

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:18:26 -0800
    <47f26e5f$0$6129$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:04:44 -0400
    >> <1liadee26zhw.1l7t5c597cjoj$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Linux: Free for 10+ years and still languishing at 0.6 percent of the
    >>> desktop market. It's 0.8 percent if you listen to the BBC. I think
    >>> that number is too high though.
    >>>
    >>> Something is seriously wrong when an operating system and a zillion
    >>> applications can't be given away.
    >>>
    >>> Is Linux really *that bad* ?
    >>>

    >> Yes, it's absolutely horrid, as everyone well knows (and if
    >> they don't you'll gladly tell them I reckon). That's why
    >> Vista is proceeding at a 4.6 year linear adoption rate,
    >> which for some reason doesn't quite match the 3 year
    >> general depreciation rate.

    > Obfuscation attempt at its finest.

    Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    2012. By that time Windows 7 (9? 12?) will also be available,
    and Microsoft will get its due again -- assuming we haven't
    legislated Microsoft as a natural monopoly in the meantime.

    (Hey, it worked for Ma Bell for many years.)

    Meanwhile, Windows 7 will replace those ancient Linux
    server relics (some of which are brand new), improving
    performance for everybody and making standards bodies
    obsolete -- for who needs standards when one has the
    de-facto, time-honored, 90%+ monopoly that is Microsoft?
    Everyone's using it.

    And don't forget SilverLight, the brand new proprietary
    high-performance casual game technology that's destined
    to replace Flash.

    Microsoft. Where did you want to go today?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  5. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in2008Q2

    The Ghost In The Machine illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    > 2012.

    Jesus Christ. We're talking about Operating system entering the
    Olympics now. Aren't we?

    Who gives a **** how many people use what? Who cares whether bloke a
    thinks bloke b is a freak because he uses operating syatem y?

    All of you twats are freaks.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  6. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    Moog wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    >> 2012.

    > Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    You are well-adjusted to life in a herd.

  7. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    On 3 Apr 2008 20:44:04 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >The Ghost In The Machine illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    >> 2012.

    >Jesus Christ. We're talking about Operating system entering the
    >Olympics now. Aren't we?
    >
    >Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    > Who cares whether bloke a
    >thinks bloke b is a freak because he uses operating syatem y?

    Dan C :-)

    >All of you twats are freaks.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  8. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in2008Q2

    Matt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    >>> 2012.

    >> Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    > You are well-adjusted to life in a herd.

    Do you think? The fact that I don't care what blithering usenet
    posters use makes me "one of the herd"? The fact that I use what works
    for me and make an informed and personal choice makes me one of the
    herd?

    Don't be so soft.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in2008Q2

    Roy Strachan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 3 Apr 2008 20:44:04 GMT, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>The Ghost In The Machine illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps. But clearly Vista is winning, and will win in
    >>> 2012.

    >>Jesus Christ. We're talking about Operating system entering the
    >>Olympics now. Aren't we?
    >>
    >>Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    >> Who cares whether bloke a
    >>thinks bloke b is a freak because he uses operating syatem y?

    > Dan C :-)

    Dan's great. He has more impact in three words than some of these
    advocacy idiots can muster in a whole thread.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  10. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    Moog wrote:
    > Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    Moshe obviously cares.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "But, Professor! I didn't plagiarize! I paid someone to
    write the essay for me, and that person plagiarized!"
    -- from http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com

  11. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:39:38 GMT, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    > Moshe obviously cares.

    Actually outside of COLA, or most advocacy groups, most people really don't
    care.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: About one-fourth of new corporate computers to get Vista in 2008Q2

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:09:57 -0400
    :
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:39:38 GMT, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Who gives a **** how many people use what?

    >> Moshe obviously cares.

    > Actually outside of COLA, or most advocacy groups, most people really don't
    > care.

    And they shouldn't. Most people's needs would probably
    be adequately met by a custom web browsing mobile unit,
    which can do Internet Explorer HTML, Flash, Silverlight,
    and Java applets.

    (I'd say HTML, but IE has some interesting extensions, among
    them the Timed Interactive Multimedia Extensions, detailed in
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533099.aspx ,
    and the contenteditable= attribute in the

    element,
    which is Microsoft's answer to DAV, apparently.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!