Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Ubuntu ; Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____ >> >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much ...

  1. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    >> [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    >> GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    >> release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    >> connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...

    > Yet Microsoft keeps supporting XP for how many years now?

    You're comparing apples (a distribution obtainable for free where the
    upgrade is, as described, only a mouseclick away) with oranges (a
    "distribution" where each release costs you $s and may require replacing
    hardware).

    If Canonical decides not to support something they give away for free
    and people have to download and switch to a newer release without having
    to pay for it in any way, it's nothing more than a nuisance for the users.

    If Microsoft decides not to support XP any more, then people are must
    shell out some cash to get Vista.

    BTW The Nuisance of switching from one to the next is there in both cases.

    I rather click on the "Upgrade" button and keep the dough.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  2. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Josef Moellers wrote:

    > I rather click on the "Upgrade" button and keep the dough.

    And the superior OS.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"