DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy - Ubuntu ; I just finished a upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. I did so remotely from ssh, while logged on as root (no GUI). I had to do several steps, which I do not yet want to mention, as, perhaps, they are ...

  1. DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy

    I just finished a upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. I did so remotely from
    ssh, while logged on as root (no GUI).

    I had to do several steps, which I do not yet want to mention, as,
    perhaps, they are not quite correct and may mislead someone. But
    basically I had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace gutsy with
    hardy, then several aptitude this and aptitude that commands.

    The total # of steps was 5.

    It seems to be fine running Hardy after upgrade.

    While I cannot verify that the GUI stuff works, due to being away from
    that computer, the server side stuff seems fine. Apache and mysql are
    working.

    To get named to work, due to apparmor, I had to rerun my personal
    system-reconfigure script to give named the AppArmor permission to
    access my private directory with zone files.

  2. Re: DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy

    Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > I just finished a upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. I did so remotely from
    > ssh, while logged on as root (no GUI).
    >
    > I had to do several steps, which I do not yet want to mention, as,
    > perhaps, they are not quite correct and may mislead someone. But
    > basically I had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace gutsy with
    > hardy, then several aptitude this and aptitude that commands.
    >
    > The total # of steps was 5.
    >
    > It seems to be fine running Hardy after upgrade.
    >
    > While I cannot verify that the GUI stuff works, due to being away from
    > that computer, the server side stuff seems fine. Apache and mysql are
    > working.
    >
    > To get named to work, due to apparmor, I had to rerun my personal
    > system-reconfigure script to give named the AppArmor permission to
    > access my private directory with zone files.

    I've installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04 beta and I have to say that
    Ubuntu, as it currently stands, is virtually blemish-free. Kubuntu, on the
    other hand, had some severe flaws. The install process ran almost flawless
    in both Ubuntu and Kubuntu (there was a problem with the proprietary
    graphics driver auto-install which end up being resolved) but while Ubuntu
    ended up installing a flawless OS, Kubuntu ended up without any working
    audio and always hanging when I plugged in any USB mass storage device.

    I'm a hard-core KDE fan that used KDE exclusively since the days of Mandrake
    9.2 but the problems caused with this Kubuntu release, along with the
    virtually perfect Ubuntu 8.04, will force me to switch desktop
    environments.

    Rui Maciel

  3. Re: DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy

    On 2008-03-31, Rui Maciel wrote:
    > Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >
    >> I just finished a upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. I did so remotely from
    >> ssh, while logged on as root (no GUI).
    >>
    >> I had to do several steps, which I do not yet want to mention, as,
    >> perhaps, they are not quite correct and may mislead someone. But
    >> basically I had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace gutsy with
    >> hardy, then several aptitude this and aptitude that commands.
    >>
    >> The total # of steps was 5.
    >>
    >> It seems to be fine running Hardy after upgrade.
    >>
    >> While I cannot verify that the GUI stuff works, due to being away from
    >> that computer, the server side stuff seems fine. Apache and mysql are
    >> working.
    >>
    >> To get named to work, due to apparmor, I had to rerun my personal
    >> system-reconfigure script to give named the AppArmor permission to
    >> access my private directory with zone files.

    > I've installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04 beta and I have to say that
    > Ubuntu, as it currently stands, is virtually blemish-free. Kubuntu, on the
    > other hand, had some severe flaws. The install process ran almost flawless
    > in both Ubuntu and Kubuntu (there was a problem with the proprietary
    > graphics driver auto-install which end up being resolved) but while Ubuntu
    > ended up installing a flawless OS, Kubuntu ended up without any working
    > audio and always hanging when I plugged in any USB mass storage device.
    >
    > I'm a hard-core KDE fan that used KDE exclusively since the days of Mandrake
    > 9.2 but the problems caused with this Kubuntu release, along with the
    > virtually perfect Ubuntu 8.04, will force me to switch desktop
    > environments.

    Maybe they will fix it in the remaining month. I run gnome and fvwm as
    the window manager. I am not into GUI stuff too much.

  4. Re: DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy

    Rui Maciel wrote in

    > I'm a hard-core KDE fan that used KDE exclusively since the days of
    > Mandrake 9.2 but the problems caused with this Kubuntu release, along
    > with the virtually perfect Ubuntu 8.04, will force me to switch
    > desktop environments.

    I've tried the KDE desktop with Ubuntu, of course it was installed after
    Ubuntu was installed, so not the 'original' desktop that was there at
    install time.

    I had noticed that KDE is noticably slower than Gnome on my install. So
    much slower, that Compiz seems to have trouble keeping up.

    Is this typical of KDE ?

+ Reply to Thread