Booting and running from USB drive? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Booting and running from USB drive? - Ubuntu ; Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be too slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly longer than to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? ...

  1. Booting and running from USB drive?

    Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be too
    slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly longer than
    to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any other way? How can
    I check to see if my computer will boot from a USB drive if that is
    necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to view the boot options -
    it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any other
    way to find out?

    FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.

    Thanks much.

    Ken

  2. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    You can boot from a USB drive if your BIOS supports it. See the boot
    sequence page in bios settings when you reboot. Grub should support
    installing itself to a USB drive.

    On 2008-03-31, Ken wrote:
    > Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be too
    > slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly longer than
    > to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any other way? How can
    > I check to see if my computer will boot from a USB drive if that is
    > necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to view the boot options -
    > it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any other
    > way to find out?
    >
    > FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > Ken

  3. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    "Ken" wrote in message
    > Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be too
    > slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly longer than
    > to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any other way? How can
    > I check to see if my computer will boot from a USB drive if that is
    > necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to view the boot options -
    > it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any other
    > way to find out?
    >
    > FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > --
    > "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
    > remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

    It's usually F2 at boot... though a quick google search says it might be
    F8.

  4. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    Ken wrote:
    > Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be too
    > slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly longer than
    > to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any other way? How can
    > I check to see if my computer will boot from a USB drive if that is
    > necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to view the boot options -
    > it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any other
    > way to find out?
    >
    > FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > Ken

    It will run faster than the live CD but slightly slower than a hd
    install. Instructions here:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09...ibbon-install/

  5. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    User writes:

    > Ken wrote:
    >> Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be
    >> too slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly
    >> longer than to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any
    >> other way? How can I check to see if my computer will boot from a
    >> USB drive if that is necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to
    >> view the boot options -
    >> it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any
    >> other way to find out?
    >>
    >> FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >>
    >> Thanks much.
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > It will run faster than the live CD but slightly slower than a hd
    > install. Instructions here:
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09...ibbon-install/

    Pedantic correction : slower than an internal IDE/SATA HD installation.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  6. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    Hadron wrote:
    > User writes:
    >
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>> Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be
    >>> too slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly
    >>> longer than to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any
    >>> other way? How can I check to see if my computer will boot from a
    >>> USB drive if that is necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to
    >>> view the boot options -
    >>> it's been many many years since I've had to access the BIOS. Any
    >>> other way to find out?
    >>>
    >>> FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks much.
    >>>
    >>> Ken
    >>>

    >> It will run faster than the live CD but slightly slower than a hd
    >> install. Instructions here:
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09...ibbon-install/

    > Pedantic correction : slower than an internal IDE/SATA HD installation.

    Thanks man, what would I do without you?!

  7. Re: Booting and running from USB drive?

    "Ed Edelenbos" wrote in news:fsr6r2$j28$1@aioe.org:

    > "Ken" wrote in message
    >> Can I run and boot Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive? Will it be
    >> too slow? I notice copying files to a USB HD takes significantly
    >> longer than to an internal HD. Can I boot from USB with Grub? Any
    >> other way? How can I check to see if my computer will boot from a USB
    >> drive if that is necessary? I forget how to access the BIOS to view
    >> the boot options - it's been many many years since I've had to access
    >> the BIOS. Any other way to find out?
    >>
    >> FWIW I'm running an eMachine T2984 purchased in 2005.
    >>
    >> Thanks much.
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    >> --
    >> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
    >> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner
    >>

    > It's usually F2 at boot... though a quick google search says it might
    > be F8.

    Thanks. It was F2. I wrote it down for next time - if I can find the
    note. BIOS says USB boot enabled.

    Ken