Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote: > Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The > server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported > until 2013. It is ...

  1. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    > server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    > until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    > upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    Sure you can.
    The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    >> server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    >> until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    >> upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    > Sure you can.
    > The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    > The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    stuff continue to run?

  3. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:11:15 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    >>> server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    >>> until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    >>> upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    >> Sure you can.
    >> The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    > I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    > asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    > see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    > that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    > nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    > break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    Better to ask first than be sorry.

    >> The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    > So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    > stuff continue to run?

    It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.

    A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    mission critical settings.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:11:15 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    >>> Sure you can.
    >>> The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    >> I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    >> asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    >> see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    >> that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    >> nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    >> break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    > Better to ask first than be sorry.

    Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.

    What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    since it is all done automatically.

    >>> The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    >> So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    >> stuff continue to run?

    > It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    > recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >
    > A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    > mission critical settings.

    While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

  5. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >
    > What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    > the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    > files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    > particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    > server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    > since it is all done automatically.

    Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    not your scripts will work or not.
    Linux is a fast moving target.

    >>> So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    >>> stuff continue to run?

    >> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>
    >> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >> mission critical settings.

    > While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    > anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    Give it a try and see what happens.
    Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >>
    >> What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    >> the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    >> files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    >> particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    >> server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    >> since it is all done automatically.

    > Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    > It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    > not your scripts will work or not.
    > Linux is a fast moving target.

    scripts are all in my CVS and I do not really need to backup /home on
    that computer. It will be all restored by my scripts, including
    ..bashrc etc.

    >>> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >>> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>>
    >>> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >>> mission critical settings.

    >> While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    >> anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    > Give it a try and see what happens.
    > Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    I promise to honestly report my results. I have just started.

  7. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >>
    >> What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    >> the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    >> files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    >> particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    >> server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    >> since it is all done automatically.

    > Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    > It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    > not your scripts will work or not.
    > Linux is a fast moving target.

    >>> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >>> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>>
    >>> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >>> mission critical settings.

    >> While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    >> anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    > Give it a try and see what happens.
    > Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    See my separate post titled "DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to
    Hardy". While I have not yet been able to verify that GUI stuff works,
    since I am away and can only use ssh, at least the system was not
    fully hosed.