Ubuntu on external disk - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on external disk - Ubuntu ; Rather than dual booting on my main hard disk, can I install Ubuntu on an external hard disk and keep all the boot info on that drive (thus not touching my main hard drive in any way) ? I know ...

  1. Ubuntu on external disk

    Rather than dual booting on my main hard disk, can I install Ubuntu on an
    external hard disk and keep all the boot info on that drive (thus not
    touching my main hard drive in any way) ?
    I know that I can set the boot priority in the bios and have it prompt me to
    boot from a removeable drive.
    I really dont want to alter the booting of my main hard disk.
    The point is that I can reformat and chop and change with an external drive
    without affecting my main system at all, giving me more chance to experiment
    without worrying that I am screwing up my main system.
    Can I restrict all the Ubuntu booting to the external drive or will it
    insist on messing with my main drive, or adding the other OS to the boot
    sequence even though it is on a different drive (rather than a different
    partition)?

    Phypps

  2. Re: Ubuntu on external disk

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:12:36 +0100, phypps wrote:

    > Rather than dual booting on my main hard disk, can I install Ubuntu on
    > an external hard disk and keep all the boot info on that drive (thus not
    > touching my main hard drive in any way) ? I know that I can set the boot
    > priority in the bios and have it prompt me to boot from a removeable
    > drive.
    > I really dont want to alter the booting of my main hard disk. The point
    > is that I can reformat and chop and change with an external drive
    > without affecting my main system at all, giving me more chance to
    > experiment without worrying that I am screwing up my main system. Can I
    > restrict all the Ubuntu booting to the external drive or will it insist
    > on messing with my main drive, or adding the other OS to the boot
    > sequence even though it is on a different drive (rather than a different
    > partition)?
    >
    > Phypps

    That should work fine. Have it install the bootloader to the MBR on the
    external drive - try and let me know. Modern Linux systems will not mess
    with what they are not told to mess with. Unfortunately, in your case at
    least, the default is to mess with it, so you'll need to look for the
    extended option when it gets time to write the bootloader.

  3. Re: Ubuntu on external disk

    On 2008-03-31, phypps wrote:
    > Rather than dual booting on my main hard disk, can I install Ubuntu on an
    > external hard disk and keep all the boot info on that drive (thus not
    > touching my main hard drive in any way) ?

    I think so, if your computer supports boot from USB drive. Your idea
    is a very solid one. Give it a try safely -- but PAY ATTENTION TO THE
    PROMPTS. If it talks about making partitions, etc, pay very close
    attention and dont proceed unless you fully understand. Also, for
    super extra safely, you can disconnect your hard drive during
    installation.

    > I know that I can set the boot priority in the bios and have it prompt me to
    > boot from a removeable drive.
    > I really dont want to alter the booting of my main hard disk.
    > The point is that I can reformat and chop and change with an external drive
    > without affecting my main system at all, giving me more chance to experiment
    > without worrying that I am screwing up my main system.
    > Can I restrict all the Ubuntu booting to the external drive or will it
    > insist on messing with my main drive, or adding the other OS to the boot
    > sequence even though it is on a different drive (rather than a different
    > partition)?
    >
    > Phypps

+ Reply to Thread