Evolution Mail Program - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Evolution Mail Program - Ubuntu ; Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit? Thanks, Alias...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Evolution Mail Program

    Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?

    Thanks,

    Alias

  2. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:03:25 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?

    Maximum size limit for *what*?

    Evolution is the very definition of bloatware. Use something better, such
    as Thunderbird.

  3. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Alias writes:

    > Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alias

    What do you mean by size? And more importantly, why?

    --
    * SynrG notes that the number of configuration questions to answer in sendmail
    is NON-TRIVIAL

  4. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:
    > Alias writes:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alias

    > What do you mean by size? And more importantly, why?

    Well, as one writes and received more emails, wherever those emails get
    stored will increase in size as time marches on. With Outhouse Distress,
    for example, there is a limit for the .dbx file and for Outlook there is
    a 28 Gig limit for the .pst file.

    I've decided to cave in to only writing emails in plain text and am
    currently using Outlook 03 and would like to switch to Evolution to
    completely rid myself of having to use XP for business. Also, can
    Evolution do anything with my .pst file from Outlook, like import the
    accounts, signatures and email?

    Alias

  5. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Alias writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Alias writes:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >> What do you mean by size? And more importantly, why?
    >>

    > Well, as one writes and received more emails, wherever those emails
    > get stored will increase in size as time marches on. With Outhouse

    Correct ...

    > Distress, for example, there is a limit for the .dbx file and for

    I do not know what Outhouse Express is. Sorry.

    > Outlook there is a 28 Gig limit for the .pst file.

    So? Does Evolution use a pst file? Do you have any idea how long it
    would take you to use up 28 gigs in plain text email?

    What mechanism are you using to store emails in Evolution? I assume
    there a mbox, maildir and imap facilities? Google these terms up in
    conjunction with Evolution.

    > I've decided to cave in to only writing emails in plain text and am

    All emails should be plain text anyway.

    > currently using Outlook 03 and would like to switch to Evolution to
    > completely rid myself of having to use XP for business. Also, can
    > Evolution do anything with my .pst file from Outlook, like import the
    > accounts, signatures and email?

    I dont know since I think evolution is buggy bloatware but I would be
    surprised if you can not export your outlook mails to mbox or maildir
    and then access them.

    Personally I use maildir - each email is an individual file. That with
    the wonderful maildirsync makes a super solution for multiple computers.

    --
    I'm personally quite happy with one stable release every two years, and
    am of the opinion that trying to release more will mean we'll have to

  6. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:

    > So? Does Evolution use a pst file? Do you have any idea how long it
    > would take you to use up 28 gigs in plain text email?

    [ ... ]
    > All emails should be plain text anyway.

    What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    documents, audio recordings?
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  7. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Josef Moellers writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> So? Does Evolution use a pst file? Do you have any idea how long it
    >> would take you to use up 28 gigs in plain text email?

    > [ ... ]
    >> All emails should be plain text anyway.

    > What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    > documents, audio recordings?

    It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    maildir there really isn't a problem.

    Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

  8. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:

    > Josef Moellers writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> So? Does Evolution use a pst file? Do you have any idea how long it
    >>> would take you to use up 28 gigs in plain text email?

    >> [ ... ]
    >>> All emails should be plain text anyway.

    >> What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    >> documents, audio recordings?

    > It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    > maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >
    > Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    do with using Evolution.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  9. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    NoStop wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Josef Moellers writes:

    >>> [ ... ]
    >>> What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    >>> documents, audio recordings?

    >> It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    >> maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >>
    >> Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    > Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    > do with using Evolution.

    Thanks, but I'll decide for myself whether Hadron's reply is worth
    replying to or not. In this case: it is.

    As to the maildir thing: I agree: it does not make sense keeping some
    28,000 messages @10MB (some limit I found when google-ing) in a single
    28GB mail file.
    So, I guess that 28GB is not really a limit one would worry about. Even
    with attachments and such.

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  10. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Josef Moellers writes:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    >>> maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    >> Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    >> do with using Evolution.

    > Thanks, but I'll decide for myself whether Hadron's reply is worth
    > replying to or not. In this case: it is.

    Thank you.

    (Aside note - NoStop you really are becoming a ****ing millstone to any
    real Linux help and adovcacy - your paranoia and hatred is palpable).

    > As to the maildir thing: I agree: it does not make sense keeping some
    > 28,000 messages @10MB (some limit I found when google-ing) in a single
    > 28GB mail file.
    > So, I guess that 28GB is not really a limit one would worry
    > about. Even with attachments and such.

    The point being that the maildir format means that there is no single
    file issue as with mbox or pst.

    --
    If you are going to run a rinky-dink distro made by a couple of
    volunteers, why not run a rinky-dink distro made by a lot of volunteers?

  11. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Josef Moellers wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    >>> maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    >> Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing
    >> to do with using Evolution.

    > Thanks, but I'll decide for myself whether Hadron's reply is worth
    > replying to or not. In this case: it is.

    Wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the OP, Alias. You can reply all you
    want to Hadron, as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't give a ****.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  12. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:

    > Josef Moellers writes:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing
    >>> to do with using Evolution.

    >> Thanks, but I'll decide for myself whether Hadron's reply is worth
    >> replying to or not. In this case: it is.

    > Thank you.
    >
    > (Aside note - NoStop you really are becoming a ****ing millstone to any
    > real Linux help and adovcacy - your paranoia and hatred is palpable).

    Self-projecting again I see.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  13. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    NoStop wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Josef Moellers writes:

    >>> [ ... ]
    >>> What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    >>> documents, audio recordings?

    >> It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    >> maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >>
    >> Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    > Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    > do with using Evolution.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I *always" ignore Hardon.

    Alias

  14. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Alias writes:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It really makes no difference - if he has the disk space then if you use
    >>> maildir there really isn't a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Although keeping all the dross is not necessarily a good idea either.

    >> Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    >> do with using Evolution.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > I *always" ignore Hardon.
    >
    > Alias

    Oh well, more fool you. I addressed your issues.

    --
    It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops.

  15. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:
    > Alias writes:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Alias - you can safely ignore all this bull**** from Hadron. Has nothing to
    >>> do with using Evolution.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> I *always" ignore Hardon.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Oh well, more fool you. I addressed your issues.

    No, you threw out some terms that most people won't understand and
    didn't explain nary a one. Not helpful at all.

    Alias

  16. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Alias writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Alias writes:

    >>> I *always" ignore Hardon.
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >> Oh well, more fool you. I addressed your issues.
    >>

    > No, you threw out some terms that most people won't understand and
    > didn't explain nary a one. Not helpful at all.
    >
    > Alias

    You are joking? Probably not. But lets see:

    I gave the terms of some commonly used mail storage/retrieval standards
    with advice to google them up. imap, mbox, maildir.

    I made clear that maildir is a single file per email and thus suffers no
    "single file" limits.

    I'm sorry I could not wipe your arse for you too.

    Some of you should read the message and not the COLA idiots bile and
    paranoia.

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  17. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Hadron wrote:
    > Alias writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Oh well, more fool you. I addressed your issues.
    >>>

    >> No, you threw out some terms that most people won't understand and
    >> didn't explain nary a one. Not helpful at all.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > You are joking? Probably not. But lets see:
    >
    > I gave the terms of some commonly used mail storage/retrieval standards
    > with advice to google them up. imap, mbox, maildir.

    If I wanted to Google for the information, I wouldn't have asked here.

    Alias

  18. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    Alias writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Alias writes:

    >>> No, you threw out some terms that most people won't understand and
    >>> didn't explain nary a one. Not helpful at all.
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    >> You are joking? Probably not. But lets see:
    >>
    >> I gave the terms of some commonly used mail storage/retrieval standards
    >> with advice to google them up. imap, mbox, maildir.

    > If I wanted to Google for the information, I wouldn't have asked here.
    >
    > Alias

    Listen up you : I gave you the terms you needed to be aware with
    enough explanation to get you started. If you wanted a complete
    explanation of how mail systems work then I suggest you buy a good
    book. Sheesh. Remind me not to ever give you any guidelines again. I
    wouldnt mind, but I even explained WHY maildir meant you didn't have to
    worry about file size.

    If this was too complicated for you then I suggest Janet & John.

    --

    The branden dodges your magical sigh. The branden attacks you with a
    slew of words! The branden misses!

    -- Henning Makholm in

  19. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    In article , Josef Moellers wrote:
    >Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> So? Does Evolution use a pst file? Do you have any idea how long it
    >> would take you to use up 28 gigs in plain text email?

    >[ ... ]
    >> All emails should be plain text anyway.

    >What about attachments? What if someone sends pictures, office
    >documents, audio recordings?

    2 words. Bloody don't

    Most 'documents' attached are just text anyway. Those that aren't usually
    have useles pictures etc adding nothing to the info sent. Your choice ...
    but mine is clear. Text is (and always has been) the email standard.

    Hmmm ... it's likely that MS are responsible for trying to break this
    standard because of their poor choice of defaults. ... do I smell a
    conspiracy ? ... or just stupidity ?

  20. Re: Evolution Mail Program

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:07:42 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:03:25 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if Evolution has a maximum size limit?

    > Evolution is the very definition of bloatware. Use something better,
    > such as Thunderbird.

    My wife and I have used Evolution since August 07 and found it to be
    quite stable and feature complete, not perfect, but I think bloated might
    be overstating your personal preference for Thunderbird, which is also
    very good. We use Evolution since it's the default in Gnome and works
    quite well.

    On the size question, my system is showing the .evolution folder at 817
    Megs.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread