Barack Obama - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Barack Obama - Ubuntu ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online. Would you like to bet that he won't be asking people to use costly Windows for this? Plus, imagine the cost if they have all the hospitals, schools, libraries, ...

  1. Barack Obama

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo

    Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.

    Would you like to bet that he won't be asking people to use costly
    Windows for this?

    Plus, imagine the cost if they have all the hospitals, schools,
    libraries, bus stops... on-line using Windows, compared to a Linux
    distro, perhaps?

  2. Re: Barack Obama

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:49:18 +0100, Cork Soaker
    wrote:

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo
    >
    >Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.
    >
    >Would you like to bet that he won't be asking people to use costly
    >Windows for this?
    >
    >Plus, imagine the cost if they have all the hospitals, schools,
    >libraries, bus stops... on-line using Windows, compared to a Linux
    >distro, perhaps?

    Not to worry. Like every other Democratic solution, the cost won't
    matter. They'll simply a) raise taxes and b) pass the cost on to the
    consumer. I'm already being billed every month on my phone bill to
    help provide "universal Internet access" to all the schools. It's a
    short jump to "everyone".

  3. Re: Barack Obama

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:49:18 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo
    >
    > Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.
    >
    > Would you like to bet that he won't be asking people to use costly
    > Windows for this?

    Is Obama not a Windows fan? I thought all mainstream politicians in the
    US were in bed with Microsoft.

    > Plus, imagine the cost if they have all the hospitals, schools,
    > libraries, bus stops... on-line using Windows, compared to a Linux
    > distro, perhaps?

    The possible next prez advocating Linux? That'd be nice...

  4. Re: Barack Obama

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:49:18 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo
    >
    > Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.
    >
    > Would you like to bet that he won't be asking people to use costly
    > Windows for this?

    Is Obama not a Windows fan? I thought all mainstream politicians in the
    US were in bed with Microsoft.

    > Plus, imagine the cost if they have all the hospitals, schools,
    > libraries, bus stops... on-line using Windows, compared to a Linux
    > distro, perhaps?

    The possible next prez advocating Linux? That'd be nice...

  5. Re: Barack Obama

    firebrand wrote:

    > The possible next prez advocating Linux? That'd be nice...

    I read, somewhere, that someone (sorry for being so vague) is/has either
    passed a bill requiring US government departments to use open source OS, or
    they want to pass a bill doing so.

    Again, I'm very vague but I'm sure a Google will clear it all up.

    [Oops]
    I should keep my mouth shut.

    Google reveals it was Brazil and Peru.
    WELL!! IT WAS OVER THE WATER SOMEWHERE!!!

    Even so, still makes sense and will save them a fortune.

    How does the GPL fair against government departments sharing their source
    code?
    I'll be honest, if the military want to create their own military systems
    based on GPL software, I'm more than happy for them to keep it quiet. But
    maybe that's just me?

    Or am I right in thinking they do not have to share the code unless they're
    distributing a product? When I think about it, that sounds about right.

    It's going to be a long day for me, I think that's clear. :'(

  6. Re: Barack Obama

    In article , Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.

    So how does he plan to deal with the refuseniks, who *don't* want to
    be online? Gulags? Insane asylums?

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  7. Re: Barack Obama

    On 2008-04-02, Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article , Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.

    > So how does he plan to deal with the refuseniks, who *don't* want to
    > be online? Gulags? Insane asylums?

    I suggest that you set up a website, where those who are not online,
    could complain about this unfair treatment.

  8. Re: Barack Obama

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article , Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.

    > So how does he plan to deal with the refuseniks, who *don't* want to
    > be online? Gulags? Insane asylums?

    You seem to be intentionally uncomprehending. There has long been a
    policy in most countries to favor universal literacy. But those refusing
    to read are not penalized; a reading refuser can even become President
    of the United States.

    Universal computer literacy is a policy that seems to offer great
    opportunities for less costly linux distributions.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  9. Re: Barack Obama

    AV3 wrote:
    > Roger Blake wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Barack Obama states that he wants all of America online.

    >> So how does he plan to deal with the refuseniks, who *don't*
    >> want to be online? Gulags? Insane asylums?

    > You seem to be intentionally uncomprehending. There has long been
    > a policy in most countries to favor universal literacy. But those
    > refusing to read are not penalized; a reading refuser can even
    > become President of the United States.

    I think that is new, at least not implemented until the past seven
    years.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: Barack Obama

    In article , AV3 wrote:
    > You seem to be intentionally uncomprehending. There has long been a

    Not at all, though I was being partly facetious. When "progressives"
    state they are in favor of something, they generally mean they will
    use government to forcibly impose their values on others and to reduce
    individual choice in the pursuit of social goals. It remains to be seen
    whether they will put universal broadband access into the same category
    as, say, the forcing of wealth redistribution.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  11. Re: Barack Obama

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article , AV3 wrote:
    >> You seem to be intentionally uncomprehending. There has long been a

    > Not at all, though I was being partly facetious. When "progressives"
    > state they are in favor of something, they generally mean they will
    > use government to forcibly impose their values on others and to reduce
    > individual choice in the pursuit of social goals. It remains to be seen
    > whether they will put universal broadband access into the same category
    > as, say, the forcing of wealth redistribution.

    One man's wealth redistribution is another man's justified tax rate, and
    the whole issue is off-topic here, so I won't express my feelings.
    Universal access to broadband is a public education issue, and I accept
    that achieving it is a political issue. We might discuss the
    applications and other means of achieving it in the Ubuntu OS without
    digressing into its desirability.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  12. Re: Barack Obama

    In article <47F94DA7.5080101@earthlink.net>, AV3 wrote:
    > One man's wealth redistribution is another man's justified tax rate, and
    > the whole issue is off-topic here, so I won't express my feelings.

    Frankly it's illicit theft no matter how you slice it, but I agree it is
    off topic here so won't delve deeply into it.

    > Universal access to broadband is a public education issue, and I accept

    I don't see how.

    > that achieving it is a political issue. We might discuss the
    > applications and other means of achieving it in the Ubuntu OS without
    > digressing into its desirability.

    I have found that Ubuntu makes an excellent internet terminal for non-technical
    end users, as long as it is pre-configured on compatible hardware for them
    and they don't have the expectation of "running Microsoft" (luser-speak
    for Word, Excel, etc.). For those already "running Microsoft" you'd probably
    have a better shot of getting a junkie off of crack cocaine.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

+ Reply to Thread