error trying to install banal - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on error trying to install banal - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I am trying to install a banal rpm and get the following message: ~$ sudo rpm -i banal-0.10-1.src.rpm [sudo] password for wendell: warning: user matt does not exist - using root warning: group matt does not exist - ...

  1. error trying to install banal

    Hi all,
    I am trying to install a banal rpm and get the following message:

    ~$ sudo rpm -i banal-0.10-1.src.rpm
    [sudo] password for wendell:
    warning: user matt does not exist - using root
    warning: group matt does not exist - using root
    warning: user matt does not exist - using root
    warning: group matt does not exist - using root
    wendell@wk:~$

    I don't know whf matt is.

    Still struggling to GET it,
    Wendell

  2. Re: error trying to install banal

    Wendell wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am trying to install a banal rpm and get the following message:
    >
    > ~$ sudo rpm -i banal-0.10-1.src.rpm
    > [sudo] password for wendell:
    > warning: user matt does not exist - using root
    > warning: group matt does not exist - using root
    > warning: user matt does not exist - using root
    > warning: group matt does not exist - using root
    > wendell@wk:~$
    >
    > I don't know whf matt is.

    "matt" is the person who built the package.
    I've seen loads of these messages with no adverse effects.

    However, if I were using my system in a sensitive environment, I'd
    worry, as changing the UID for an installed command from some user
    ("matt") to "root" might open up a security hole, e.g. if one of the
    commands were installed suid.

    BTW The fact that "matt" is mentioned as a user as well as a group stems
    from the fact that modern distributions create a group for each new user
    with the same name as the user.

    HTH,

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)