Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive? - Ubuntu ; I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this instead. I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the boot menu, but I ...

  1. Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been
    having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this
    instead. I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the
    boot menu, but I don't know if I have to do something special to make
    the jump drive a bootable device. Or for that matter, how to get a
    boot image to the device.

  2. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    Todd schreef:
    > I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been
    > having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this
    > instead. I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the
    > boot menu, but I don't know if I have to do something special to make
    > the jump drive a bootable device. Or for that matter, how to get a
    > boot image to the device.

    Google is your friend

    Sure you can, there are a lot of instructions on the net on how to do it:
    "http://www.google.nl/search?q=make+a+bootable+usb+disk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nlfficial&client=firefox-a"

    When you add one word, Ubuntu, to this simple Google search you'll find
    even better answers :
    "http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Anl%3Aofficial&hs=PfE&q=make+a+bootable+usb+disk+ubuntu&btnG=Zoeken&meta="

    This is probably closest to what you want:
    "http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/"

    USB Ubuntu 7.10 install from Linux: This tutorial enables you to
    install, boot and run Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) from a USB flash drive.
    In addition to installing Ubuntu to a USB device and then booting Ubuntu
    from the memory stick, this tutorial will enable you to automatically
    save your changes and settings back to the thumb drive and further
    restore them on each boot using a second "casper-rw" persistent
    partition. The tutorial was written for those already familiar with
    working from Ubuntu or another Linux desktop environment. If you do not
    have access to or prefer not to use a Windows computer, this Ubuntu
    Linux on a stick tutorial is for you.

    Ubuntu 7.10 takes slightly longer to boot than previous releases.
    However, once it's up and running, it performs much better than running
    from the Live CD.

  3. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:46:43 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Todd schreef:
    >> I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been
    >> having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this
    >> instead. I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the
    >> boot menu, but I don't know if I have to do something special to make
    >> the jump drive a bootable device. Or for that matter, how to get a
    >> boot image to the device.
    >>

    > Google is your friend
    >
    > Sure you can, there are a lot of instructions on the net on how to do
    > it:
    > "http://www.google.nl/search?q=make+a+bootable+usb

    +disk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nlfficial&client=firefox-a"

    > When you add one word, Ubuntu, to this simple Google search you'll find
    > even better answers :
    > "http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Anl%

    3Aofficial&hs=PfE&q=make+a+bootable+usb+disk+ubuntu&btnG=Zoeken&meta="

    > This is probably closest to what you want:
    > "http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-

    install/"

    > USB Ubuntu 7.10 install from Linux: This tutorial enables you to
    > install, boot and run Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) from a USB flash drive.
    > In addition to installing Ubuntu to a USB device and then booting Ubuntu
    > from the memory stick, this tutorial will enable you to automatically
    > save your changes and settings back to the thumb drive and further
    > restore them on each boot using a second "casper-rw" persistent
    > partition. The tutorial was written for those already familiar with
    > working from Ubuntu or another Linux desktop environment. If you do not
    > have access to or prefer not to use a Windows computer, this Ubuntu
    > Linux on a stick tutorial is for you.

    As I understand the OP's question, he is asking about using the flash
    drive as installation medium - i.e. copy to the flash, boot from the flash
    and install to hard disk. AFAIK that is not possible, but it would
    certainly be a boone to the industry!

    > Ubuntu 7.10 takes slightly longer to boot than previous releases.
    > However, once it's up and running, it performs much better than running
    > from the Live CD.

  4. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:00:38 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been
    > having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this instead.
    > I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the boot menu,
    > but I don't know if I have to do something special to make the jump
    > drive a bootable device. Or for that matter, how to get a boot image to
    > the device.

    Yes you can. Fedora 8 has a script for installing ISOs to FLASH drives.
    It's called livecd-iso-to-disk. It will work with any ISOs not just
    Fedora.

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

  5. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    I asked:

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >Yes you can. Fedora 8 has a script for installing ISOs to FLASH drives.
    >It's called livecd-iso-to-disk. It will work with any ISOs not just
    >Fedora.
    >
    >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

    I'm guessing that I have to run this thing in Linux. And if I can't
    burn Linux to a cd, then I can't install Linux, so I can't run this
    script.

    Although, I can understand how such a thing would be useful for techs,
    or just to have "your computer" with you without actually having to
    carry the whole computer.

  6. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    ray wrote:

    >As I understand the OP's question, he is asking about using the flash
    >drive as installation medium - i.e. copy to the flash, boot from the flash
    >and install to hard disk. AFAIK that is not possible, but it would
    >certainly be a boone to the industry!

    It looks like he's saying I can do exactly what I want, except for the
    part about not having a Windows computer. The problem is, I have a
    Windows computer, I do not currently have a Linux computer. I had
    Linux on my computer, but I had five distros installed, and the only
    one I could run was Debian, and I had damaged Windows trying to find a
    cd burning program which would work with my drive. So I wiped the
    Linux installs, and put Windows in it's place. Now I have to free up
    one of my other drives to install Ubuntu or PCLinux on.

  7. Re: Can I install Ubuntu from a jump drive?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:51:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > I asked:
    >>
    >>> I've got a one gigabyte jump drive that I haven't used. I've been
    >>> having trouble burning cd's, and thought maybe I could use this
    >>> instead.
    >>> I'm pretty sure my current motherboard has the option in the boot
    >>> menu,
    >>> but I don't know if I have to do something special to make the jump
    >>> drive a bootable device. Or for that matter, how to get a boot image
    >>> to the device.

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >>Yes you can. Fedora 8 has a script for installing ISOs to FLASH drives.
    >>It's called livecd-iso-to-disk. It will work with any ISOs not just
    >>Fedora.
    >>
    >>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

    > I'm guessing that I have to run this thing in Linux. And if I can't
    > burn Linux to a cd, then I can't install Linux, so I can't run this
    > script.
    >
    > Although, I can understand how such a thing would be useful for techs,
    > or just to have "your computer" with you without actually having to
    > carry the whole computer.

    Use VMware to install Fedora 8 on your Windows machine. You won't need to
    burn a CD because VMware can mount and ISO file as a DVD. You can then
    use your VMware Fedora to bootstrap yourself. From the VM you should be
    able to install any ISO you want on a FLASH drive, then you can use the
    USB FLASH drive to install a native Linux.

+ Reply to Thread